Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello thread so I've done the autocross thing and was looking at possibly doing a trackday or two through Track Night in America this year.
So far the things I'm pretty sure I need to get/update on my car ('17 WRX) is better brake fluid and pads. What other things should I look into improving for an event?

Currently the car is stock but with good tires.

What is the recommended brake fluid to upgrade to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

net work error posted:

Hello thread so I've done the autocross thing and was looking at possibly doing a trackday or two through Track Night in America this year.
So far the things I'm pretty sure I need to get/update on my car ('17 WRX) is better brake fluid and pads. What other things should I look into improving for an event?

At least DOT 4 brake fluid, DOT 5 if you want to be really safe and depending on how good your brakes are vented. I use Motul in my 09 WRX but I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative. SS brake lines would be good while you're doing all this as well. What tires do you have?

Honestly with those things you should be fine for your first track day. You'll probably need a helmet (even if it's not required you should wear one), and I recommend gloves if you're a sweaty idiot like me. Don't forget (a lot of) gas money or a gas can!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Motul rbf600 is pretty good and not too expensive.

Finding a pad that will be drivable on track is a little harder, and depends on the track. In some cases a good performance street pad will survive, in others it's better to swap in a track pad.

So you could try something cheap like stoptechs. I have them on my car and have seen them used on track and work. On the other hand i seem to see more and more complaints about them not working well and constantly leaving uneven deposits.

Hawk's "new" street-race 5.0 might be a good option, it's a relabled dtc-30. The -60 and -70 are great race pads, but with higher friction and heat capacities.

Ferodo and CL also make great pads that i have experience with. The ds2500 and cl rc5 would be my first choices but are more expensive. And i haven't checked on what's available for the wrx. It's not using new shapes so I'd guess most of those.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
stock fluid should be fine for autocross but you might try motul or ATE for track day fluid.

If you think that you'll be bleeding your brakes a lot, replace your bleeders with speedbleeders they are amazing and make it much easier to change your fluid.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

If you think that you'll be bleeding your brakes a lot, replace your bleeders with speedbleeders they are amazing and make it much easier to change your fluid.
So much this.

Also, I ran DTC60s for my first two trackdays - they were great. Old fluid did fine.
I got stuck behind a 370Z for a few laps and managed to accidentally push him into smoking (literally) his stock brake pads. I would never dream of trying to track stock pads.

You can drive the pads on the street... but sounding like a bus gets old fast.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
i get great joy from driving around in my dump truck brake package in the city and confusing people

Gigi Galli posted:

At least DOT 4 brake fluid, DOT 5 if you want to be really safe and depending on how good your brakes are vented.

DO NOT MIX DOT5 WITH DOT4. DOT5.1 is what is actually compatible with the other DOT specs.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

What tires do you have?

I got Pilot Super Sports at a good price at Costco so those are on currently. I don't drive much so they have 0 wear on them still. I also have gloves because I too am a sweaty person.
I'll take a look at Ferodos for pads.

Assuming I don't want to be a squeaky braker at all times would the right thing be to swap off/on the street pads before and after the event with the better race ones?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Your fluid should be just fine, considering the age of the car (it's brand new fluid!). Pads might even be OK if you aren't pushing really hard, or are regularly getting stuck in traffic. Wouldn't hurt to throw on a good dual-purpose pad like Hawk HP Plus. Get track-day insurance from Lockton.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

net work error posted:

I got Pilot Super Sports at a good price at Costco so those are on currently. I don't drive much so they have 0 wear on them still. I also have gloves because I too am a sweaty person.

Assuming I don't want to be a squeaky braker at all times would the right thing be to swap off/on the street pads before and after the event with the better race ones?

If you don't mind doing that than yes, 100%, swap pads before and after. Wouldn't hurt to have a set of rotors to match the pads too. Mark them LF, RF etc. Then you can go for full race pads without thought to how streetable they are. Having a lot of confidence in your brakes makes track days way more fun. Stock style rotors are fine, no need for drilled or slotted.

Also full race brake pads dust is hell on wheels. Clean them as soon as you get home. You're fine to drive to and from the track in them though.

I'll add my n+1 too for cl, dtc-60s, and the hawk stuff from personal experience. In lighter cars (Hondas) hawks were a good balance, dtcs were better brakes for more downsides, and the cl pads were amazing but horrific for street use. YMMV.

That being said I've got hawk hp+ on my street car now. Once you try better brake pads it's hard to go back.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

net work error posted:

I use Carbotech XP-10s. I tried the XP-8s first, and they felt no different from street pads. The XP-10s were a noticeable step up. They both make the car sound like a bus, which I hate. I also have a track-only set of cheapo rotors from rockauto. I've warped rotors more than once, so I'd hate to buy expensive ones. I swap the pads and rotors before track day and swap back after I get home. It's a pain, but after a few swaps, it takes less than two hours to do all four corners, including getting the car up on jacks and cleaned up after.

I have been changing my brake fluid every spring, but I only did one or two track days last year, so I'll probably skip the change this year. I use ATE TYP 200, my car needs about a half-liter per change. For your very first track day, you'll be fine on your stock fluid. You won't be going full tilt on your first day anyway.

I haven't yet done steel brake lines, but it's on my todo list.

What track(s) are you going to be driving?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

net work error posted:

The ferodo 2500s are not a full on track pad and will be fine to just drive on the street. You might get some noise but it's not going to be like driving on a cold track pad. Looks like they make them for the 15+ now too (last time I checked, they didn't).

There's some thought that for swapping street to track pads and back they should be similar. The track pads will tend to scrub off all the street pad material and then deposit their own layer on the rotors, but the street pads will not be able to do the same. So if the street pad is some completely different kind of compound you can wind up with noisy brakes that don't grab very well. So for example- using the ds2500s on the street and then ds3000s or 1.11s on the track. And as far as Ferodos go, the 1.11 are newer and a better choice for the 3000s on the track, if available.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 18, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone going to Laguna Seca on 6/24 - 6/25?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 18, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is Harry's laptimer still the best budget option for data logging and video recording? My car does not have obd2 since it's too old.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A burner Android phone, RaceChrono, and a Bluetooth GPS.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

There's some thought that for swapping street to track pads and back they should be similar. The track pads will tend to scrub off all the street pad material and then deposit their own layer on the rotors, but the street pads will not be able to do the same. So if the street pad is some completely different kind of compound you can wind up with noisy brakes that don't grab very well. So for example- using the ds2500s on the street and then ds3000s or 1.11s on the track. And as far as Ferodos go, the 1.11 are newer and a better choice for the 3000s on the track, if available.

Driving on the track pads cold will also scrape the track pad transfer layer off. So, drive on them on your way home and then swap back to regular pads.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That method works best with street pads that don't need bedding. OEM BMW pads are like this. I run DTC60 track pads and textar on the street.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Carbotechs are the only pads that are super picky about rotors.

Centric blanks are cheap, go for those.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

A burner Android phone, RaceChrono, and a Bluetooth GPS.

I've got a spare android phone but the video quality obviously wont be as good is my ip7, is the racechrono software significantly better than harry's laptimer?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's only $5 for most of the additional features vs $20. Also, it interfaces with RaceRender p good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What do you guys do with rotors that are done? Just throw them in the trash? I have a set of C6 Z06 fronts that were turned and are ok, but I don't think it makes much sense to try to ship something so heavy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Recycle bin

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They hold the umbrellas in my backyard down.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ammo for the trebuchet.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Use them as the base for one time fixtures then recycle. Add exhaust tubing for a heavy bottle rocket stand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the case of the custom six-lug rotors off of my C10: drive on them for 18 years and 50k+ miles, then sell on Craigslist for $100 :haw:

If I don't have a future use for them (i.e. I'm not going to save them and have them turned next time I need to do brakes) then they go in the pile for the next time I haul poo poo to the scrapyard.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
my shop gives me a little discount to let them recycle or use them for bullshit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What do you guys do with rotors that are done? Just throw them in the trash? I have a set of C6 Z06 fronts that were turned and are ok, but I don't think it makes much sense to try to ship something so heavy.

There's a metal recycling/buying place across town from me. I've been meaning to stop by and ask if they buy (or just take) rusty ol' rotors.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

Throw them in the back of the pickup truck with the other scrap metal and garbage. 6-18 months later (whenever I sell the truck) do a run to the metal recyclable and get a couple bucks for them.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 4, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
an umbrella, a fold up chair, a cooler, and a torque wrench

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Plenty of water/gatorade, and maybe some spare brake pads and stuff to bleed the fluid.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

When I head to the track I bring a duffel with engine oil, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, spare key, snacks, water bottle (I've gone through 2 gal in one day before), sun screen, hat... Maybe other stuff I'm forgetting.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bring a 2.5gal container of distilled water and some Gatorade powder. Serves dual uses!

Otherwise: Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ColdPie posted:

When I head to the track I bring a duffel with engine oil, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, spare key, snacks, water bottle (I've gone through 2 gal in one day before), sun screen, hat... Maybe other stuff I'm forgetting.

+ A tarp to sit your stuff on / cover it if it rains and a folding chair.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

honda whisperer posted:

+ A tarp to sit your stuff on / cover it if it rains and a folding chair.

The guys with tarps and chairs in the paddock are like several castes above others.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Become good friends with those people.

They will let you under their ez up.

It is not the surface temperature of the sun under the ez up.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I also bring a hospital gurney to wheel DJ Commie's effervescing corpse around the paddock.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Become good friends with those people.

They will let you under their ez up.

It is not the surface temperature of the sun under the ez up.

It is still close to the surface temperature of the sun though. But the lack of the sun's rays will help prevent you turning pink.

I don't have room in the car for an ez up. I bring heavy duty garbage bags and put my stuff in them if it rains, they take up less room than a tarp. Also included:

-8L of water
-2L of Gatorade
-double the food I think I'm going to need.
-sunscreen, spf 50 as I resemble a ghost.
-Torque wrench, jack, axle stand, brake fluid, bits to bleed the brakes, small socket set, shop rags.
-20L & 10L gas cans, full of non-retarded-priced gas
-rain jacket
-spare socks and shoes and an extra t-shirt
-helmet

There's probably more I'm forgetting, I get all of that into a Miata. Use of the passenger seat for gear is required, but it all fits without a trailer or luggage rack.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I figured this would be the place to ask:

I am having a chassis built and I would like to do track days with it. I have some options regarding brakes and shocks.

Is it worth it to pay the price difference from a standard shock, to Penske double adjustable front and rear at +$1400 or to Penske triple adjustable front and rear with remote reservoirs at +3300? These would come adjusted for the car's roll center and so on if they are installed at build.

The same question goes for brakes. The options are Baer Pro+ 14" 6 piston fronts and rears for $4540, Baer Extreme 14" 6 piston monoblock fronts and rears for $7260, or Brembo 14" 6 piston monoblock fronts with 13.5" 4 piston monoblock rears for $8290. All of those are drilled and slotted.

Are the upgrades worth the price, assuming that I could buy any of the options without it killing me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
just casual track days? unless $ really is no object id just go with single adjustables shocks at most and and much less expensive brakes. out of curiosity, what are you having built?