Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
He's even losing some of his hair
e: Update last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

He's still doing better than Inferno Cop. Poor guy lost his whole face.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Sjs00 posted:

Cain's portrait change is pretty good, but it's probably not my favorite, there's one later that cracks me up for some reason because of a very minor change, I'll point it out when we get there. Horace.

chiasaur11 posted:

He's still doing better than Inferno Cop. Poor guy lost his whole face.

Ironically one of Cain's archenemies is also a baby.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Chapter 11: This Map Gave Me A Kidney Stone (Prep)
: Well, I’m still in my twenties… I see, I’m like a grandfather… That’s really depressing…

Knowing anime ageism, it's going to come out someday that Wrys is like 35 years old, right?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If you guessed that we’d need Caeda, a natural flier, to recruit him, you are onto the kind of bullshit Ballisticians are.

Or we could go make some tea while Draug or someone just eats those 20 uses. I'm all for it.

I like how they made up some bullshit excuse just to get rid of that class in the sequel.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Fortunately, Caeda keeps her lance rank as a cavalier.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

MightyPretenders posted:

Fortunately, Caeda keeps her lance rank as a cavalier.

Shadow Dragon sadly doesn't have Cavalier as an option for women, that's only in the sequel. They can be Paladins when they promote, but cavalier is blocked because ????

I believe she can soak a hit from the Arrowspate though, so I'm not super worried keeping her in Peg. Knight for this. If it's an issue I'll do what Vilkacis suggested and watch Jake empty 20 giant ballista bolts into Wolf's uncaring maw, because so far I've bumbled and brute forced my way through 2 LPs and I'm not gonna get good at video games now.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The more typical reclass option for this would probably be Myrmidon, since then she'll still have evade for days, and it's not like we can't have a chapter without Wing Spear murder (...or can we?)

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
If Caeda reclasses to Paladin, can she still use Wing Spears? Given that Caeda maxes speed anyway, that would be pretty scary

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Miacis posted:

The more typical reclass option for this would probably be Myrmidon, since then she'll still have evade for days, and it's not like we can't have a chapter without Wing Spear murder (...or can we?)

Evade? In this game?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

tunapirate posted:

If Caeda reclasses to Paladin, can she still use Wing Spears? Given that Caeda maxes speed anyway, that would be pretty scary

Yes. That's probably what had me confused.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I believe she can soak a hit from the Arrowspate though, so I'm not super worried keeping her in Peg. Knight for this.

Heads up!

I was extremely wrong! gently caress knorda market

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:unsmigghh:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LordHippoman posted:

Heads up!

I was extremely wrong! gently caress knorda market

Why did you think that would be a good idea?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Quoting this and seeing the URL only made me like it more. :allears:

Hunt11 posted:

Why did you think that would be a good idea?

:eng99:

The way I had it calculated out was that with Jake's attack of 17, minus Caeda's 10 defense, it would be 7, multiplied by 3 to get 21, which wouldn't be fatal.

So I made a couple mistakes. First of all, I multiplied too late. And also, in Shadow Dragon (And most FE games), effective damage from weapons is 3x the Might of the weapon, not the whole attack score.

So it comes out looking like: Jakes' Strength+Arrowspate Might*3-Caeda's Defense= Damage

5+12*3-10=31, which is actually totally fatal. Whoops.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Peg knight more like get pegged night

Welcome to the motherfucking ballista frat party

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Personally, I just used a save point right before making a run for Jake, his accuracy's not fantastic, especially as Caeda was my peg. knight of choice and thus fairly high-level (I don't use a lot of fliers, and it felt unfair not to use all three Whitewings if I used any of them, and that's frankly too many arrow magnets for my liking). Granted, I was on Normal Mode, but looking at the screenshot, it looks like Jake's still working with a pretty iffy chance to hit, so I'd say a couple reloads would be better, or at least less frustrating, than reworking the entire strategy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 11: This Map Gave Me A Kidney Stone (Battle)

Once I overcame my crippling fear of this level, I made this update. Please try your best to enjoy it.

Two things here, one is that Nyna clearly doesn’t give a gently caress.

Secondly, due to sprite limitations, Marth and Nyna can’t look north here without constantly jogging in place during this entire conversation. So just keep that in mind.

: Nyna, soon the palace will be in sight. I…know this can’t be easy for you.

: When the palace fell, many, many good Archaneans were killed.

:stonk: Jesus, Shadow Dragon.

: I cannot unpaint that vivid picture, of my parents grotesquely changed…I feel as though I should cry, Marth; or scream. But no tears come, and I cannot chase away the sadness and rage… …I cannot change the past. I can only shape the future. Lead the way, Marth. I am ready. Take me home.

So now that Nyna’s soliloquy there is done, let’s get on with this poo poo.

It’s nice that Marth decided to run all the way back before the map started.

I’d recommend hitting X as you do the approach bit of this map, because there’s a lot of Ballista coverage going on here, and you don’t want to take that unnecessary damage, do you?

Oh, by the way, there’s a thief running for the village here. Either that or a Thief and Ballistician are fusing to become the Absolute Worst Unit Type Ever.

Minorly annoying here are the Pegasus Knights that descend from the castle to bother your team. They only have 14 attack, so they’d only be an issue to a very squishy healer or something.

...gently caress knorda market.

No, I said Squishy Healer. Old Man Wendell is 90% Beef, 10% Wizard.

Minerva is a very protective older sibling. She couldn’t one-shot this Pegasus Knight, even with Hauteclere, though...which is worrisome.

While those few units stick behind to deal with the two attacking Pegasus Knights, the rest of the team is rushing forward, and Cord stumbles into Mercenary range! Oh no!

Never mind, we’re good, false alarm.

Oh, also here’s a Ballista in action.

Wolf could not care less.

Abel couldn’t double these mercenaries, unfortunately. But it does at least leave them as free, experience stuffed, sitting ducks.

Side note, go away, Thief.

So, Caeda has now maxed out Speed. While she remains a Pegasus Knight, she’ll never gain another point of it.

She is at half her max level for the class. Caeda is so good.

These Mercenaries really aren’t a threat. Ours are better.

There’s also a convenient chokepoint right here. So, y’know...not a threat.

Especially if you’ve got sick dodges like Abel.

I’ll spare you the details of watching identical enemies smash their faces into the team five times.

I will show Wob Leets though.

You guys I don’t know if Draug’s working out.

Unfortunately you can’t use Staves on yourself, so Maria’s patching Wendell up a bit.

We’ve also got a village to get to. But first, shopping.

Bought a few of these. Never hurts to have a Mend Staff on hand.

Everybody else is just going to sorta hang back out of Ballista range for a bit. Abel’s actually in range to swoop inside the Thunderbolt guy’s blind spot, but I don’t want to go just yet.

Anyway…

Ruffian! It’s been too long!

: I hear you are holding some Archaneans here against their will. Release them at once!

: There’s something so...familiar about this.

: Ruffian has many names.

: Is everyone all right? I know you’ve been through a lot. Go home to your families

It was a hood! That’s pretty gender neutral, Marth!

: I donned men’s garb to escape Gharnef, but no sooner was I away when those ruffians grabbed me.

: So you’re Linde! I’m glad you’re safe. Princess Nyna was worried about you, you know! Well, we’re all together now. I promise to keep you out of danger.

Nyna is not worried enough to show up in this conversation, or ever speak to Linde for the rest of the game.

: No! Let me fight. With Princess Nyna’s blessing, and the tome my father left me, I can wield Aura magic. Let me use it to avenge him. I want to destroy Gharnef myself!

So we’ve got Linde now, and...oof. That joining level. Yeah, that’s straight up a 1. On one hand, she’s got a ton of room to grow. And with her Growth rates, that’s good. She’ll never not be a glass cannon, but she’s packing pretty solid growths in everything that will ever matter to a mage, including the best Magic growth in the entire game. She also comes with exclusive early access to Aura, which has EIGHTEEN MIGHT, drat.

Still, she’s got an especially rocky start. I’m going to try and use her this run, because there’s something here that can help her out (you can see it in this screenshot). Also I’m angry at Draug.

Also yeah, Arena leveling. Keep in mind that as a mage, Linde kinda naturally sucks at the Arena, and Level 1 only compounds that. So save beforehand, only go for low wagers, or maybe just don’t try this at home because Merric/Cord are good anyway.

That said, here’s a crit.

I’m also sending Maria down to be the Arena healer. That way I can get both our new team members up to speed in one fellish swoop.

Now Abel can get to the bastilla busting.

But first I’m going to save. I’m going to save right in his drat face.

On the next turn, the enemy Horseman got pulled over. Thankfully, with the help of the Fort, Abel can tank it easily.

Okay, now things are getting dicier. Killer Bows are horrifying.

Also Abel missed again. Time for the patented-

CAVALIER VULNERARY HAIL MARY

Things went well!

And then I got impatient.

While we wait on Maria, Linde’s going to do some shopping. A backup Rapier is nice, and reminds me I should be leveling Marth more. Also we’re getting people into Silver Weapon range!

Here’s what Thunderbolt looks like. Thanks Draug.

Also Abel just crit this guy, after he missed, making the CAVALIER VULNERARY HAIL MARY an UNECESSARY CAVALIER VULNERARY HAIL MARY.

I mean, I’ll take this. Maybe Cord can use it. That’s +2 Magic, permanently.

Speaking of Cord, Ballisticians have Knight level Defense, but they, much like roughly everything else, have poo poo for Resistance.

Yeah, that Magic could use a lift.

And now comes the hard part, pulling the enemies out of this little area. At least those forts don’t spit out reinforcements! This time!

Just getting into Stonehoist range was enough to get the Cavaliers running for the team, which is enough for me.

KNOCK KNOCK IT’S BARST

So, in a mechanic that is...only in this chapter, for some reason, there’s actually an important gameplay reason to visit this house right to the left of the lake.

A cameo character? Does it count as a cameo if this is her first appearance? Future cameo character.

: Take my sweetheart, Jake. He’s got a heart of gold, that one. If you see him, tell him Anna’s worried sick about him. ’Course, my Jake won’t talk to no-one but women! That’s just the way he is.

If you don’t trigger this conversation, you can’t recruit Jake.

This is another pretty interesting house.

: Parthia, the bow of flame; Gradivus, the lance that pierces stone; and Mercurius, the spectral sword. Only those blessed by the gods may lay hands on them- or so it goes.

By “Blessed by the gods” he means “A Rank”.

BARST FEARS NO STONE.

He also, unfortunately, can’t double here. We’ve lost a lot of our constant doubles lately.

Thankfully the rest of the team can run cleanup just fine.

So, the rub here is that Khozen’s range lines up perfectly with Jake’s range. That means that whoever steps in there to lure him is going to be in range of two ballistas and a boss.

Wolf could do that, but I like living dangerously (and I just saved).

I also snuck Caesar into range, as a decoy Ogma, which fooled the Stonehoist into wasting a rock on him.

: I just hope Anna’s OK.

Jake isn’t fooled.

Still, Ogma dodges. Which is good, because if he didn’t, he’d be in perfect range of a Khozen death. Living dangerously, it pays off.

Speaking of Khozen…

He does a lot of damage, but he’s slow. And with Wyrmslayer on hand, he’s no match for an Ogma double.

Dammit, you were so cool like 20 seconds ago!

This is a permanent +2 for Strength. That’s extremely handy.

Now comes the final part of the stage that matters. Dealing with the ballista.

These three should be enough to deal with the Stonehoist. Caesar and Abel are on Forts.

Barst just eats the rock.

So, yeah, these things have way too much defense.

Abel’s crit makes it a non-issue, though.

What is an issue? Getting Caeda to Jake. She can’t get to him without being in his range to get shot at...which will one shot her. So, how to overcome this dilemma? We could bank on Jake’s low accuracy. I could restart the map and reclass Caeda.

Or Wendell could use the all-purpose Shadow Dragon problem solver, the Warp Staff.

You get that Luck up, buddy, you deserve it.

Hey there.

Sorry, I just wanted to use that again.

: I am Caeda of Talys. An Archanean woman by the name of Anna told me about you.

: Really? Anna mentioned me? ...In a good way, right?

I don’t think this is a healthy relationship.

: She’s very worried about you. She wants to know why such a good man is fighting for the wrong side.

: Wrong side? Hmm… Well, I have to admit, I’m not too keen on kicking Archanea while they’re down…

: Then why not fight for Archanea instead? Help us defeat Grust and Dolhr, and set the world right.

I wonder if Minerva would be upset she forgot Macedon in her list of bad guy countries.

: Well...I don’t know. I don’t think it’s that simple… Hmm…

: Anna would love you for it, I’m sure.

: She would? Hmmm… All right, you win. But I’m doin’ it for Anna- just to be clear!

We’ll go over Jake in a bit, first I want to toss Javelins at the boss.

It’s...hard to judge Jake as a character. Ballisticians are such a weird class. They have utility, but...only sometimes? They often just get stuck at the start of the map and can’t do poo poo. Jake’s growths are decent, but it’s his class that will make or break him for you. I personally don’t like Ballisticians, but if the idea of a “turret” type character appeals to you, he makes a decent choice. Just remember that ballistas, like Dragonstones, are in limited supply. He also cannot Reclass.

He also has a conversation with Marth that might shed some light on the game’s second or third dumbest mechanic.

: Are you the Altean prince? The name’s Jake. I just joined up.

: Many thanks, Jake.

: You know, I’ve been to Altea once.

: The what?

: The secret shop! Didn’t you know there are secret shops hidden all over the continent? Well, there’s one in Altea too.”

: Oh, really? Where exactly?

: If I told you, it wouldn’t be much of a secret, now would it? The entrance is disguised so you can’t find it.

: Disguised?

: And they don’t let anybody in without a VIP card. So don’t expect to waltz through the door by accident.

: But how do they stay in business?

: Who knows! Last I heard, they were desperate for customers.

: Then maybe they should reopen as a “tell your friends” shop.

: Ha! Very clever. Anyway, you should drop by when you’re in the neighborhood.

: But I don’t know...Ugh, never mind.

I echo Marth’s sentiments.

Anyway, Cain takes out the “boss” pretty easily.

Really not much to say about that. But this whole time I was grinding Maria and Linde, and I also decided to wheel Jake all the way to Anna’s house. To my surprise…

There’s special dialogue!

: …Oh, so you’ve decided to fight for the Archanean League now?…No, no, I won’t stop you. Sure, I wish you’d just stay put for a change, but I know you wouldn’t fight unless it were for a fine cause indeed. Go get ’em, honeycomb!

The effort pockets are well hidden in this game.

Anyway, we’re already up to way too many Screenshots, so I didn’t show all the Maria and Linde leveling. I do, however, have their final totals.

Linde is coming out pretty solid. Her obvious weakness is her poor defense and HP, but she’s beating Cord easily on magic, and Aura gives her the equivalent of a small nuclear device in her hands.

Maria’s stats aren’t as good, but she’s doing better than Lena! And 13 Resistance is nothing to scoff at.

They both also have C’s in their respective weapon categories.

Anyway, time to leave Knorda behind. Forever. And ever.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

: Then... we’ve won!

: Not quite yet. We can enter the palace, but Dolhr still holds strong inside her walls. Also, a number of knights are being held captive inside.

: Loyal soldiers who fought for their kingdom and their people...Marth, I wish to free them as soon as possible.
: I understand. We should strike now, then, before enemy reinforcements can arrive. I believe we have a good chance.

: Thank you, Marth. As always, I am counting on you. Worry no more.

Another indoor map next time. A map void of ballista. :smith:

Bonus Content

The Successor of Aura, Linde

Speaking of Linde, here’s her remake art for good measure:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Really enjoyed the update! Its perfect except for a minor hiccup of a repeating screenshot; the 'Ruffian' at the arena.
Also, are the other various female recruitment convos for Jake as amusing as the one with Caeda? They seem to have all of the dialogue in the game. For all we bash on Shadow Dragon's blandness, these recruitment convos are where it really shows that there were actual writers on staff

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Really enjoyed the update! Its perfect except for a minor hiccup of a repeating screenshot; the 'Ruffian' at the arena.
Also, are the other various female recruitment convos for Jake as amusing as the one with Caeda? They seem to have all of the dialogue in the game. For all we bash on Shadow Dragon's blandness, these recruitment convos are where it really shows that there were actual writers on staff

Thanks for the early response, got it.

Also, I may have miscommunicated this, although Anna says Jake will only talk to women, what she means is "only talk to Caeda". She's the only one who can recruit him.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Oh I see.
Munchin' Manaketes is also amazing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Personally, I really liked the Ballista characters, there were certainly some maps they weren't well-suited for, but I greatly enjoyed wasting enemies from half a mile away. They're especially useful for eliminating archers before I send fliers into an area, since I'd otherwise need to hold the fliers back until non-flying units could get over there, at which point they just wipe out everything and there's nothing for my flier to do.

Also Fire Emblem comes up with the most creative expletive phrases. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, by the way, there’s a thief running for the village here. Either that or a Thief and Ballistician are fusing to become the Absolute Worst Unit Type Ever.

Try our now ballisthiefcian! With a movement range of 6 and the ability to destroy villages from 15 tiles away, it is sure to leave no controller or handheld system un-flung! Order yours today.

(Hire me intsys.)

((Actually don't hire me.))

LordHippoman posted:

You guys I don’t know if Draug’s working out.

He gained strength so he has clearly been working out :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You think too small. The theif ballista does not attack, it merely fires an endless wave of thieves across the map at key targets and THEN destroy the towns, clerics, lords, etc.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At the beginning of the update, after Nyna talks about her parents' gruesome deaths, you have the same image twice, LordHippoman.

FoolyCharged posted:

You think too small. The theif ballista does not attack, it merely fires an endless wave of thieves across the map at key targets and THEN destroy the towns, clerics, lords, etc.

Well uhh...it has to run out of ammo sooner or later, and you could use the Thieves it shoots for exp grinding, so it isn't that bad, so long as they don't shoot in bad places...and you have a Warp staff nearby.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm down for any game where you get to fight Dr. Doom

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Poor Draug. Wendell is arguably better at the whole tanking thing at this point and he's a Sage. :v:

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
I found that northeast save point very handy when beating this level manly to test who will survive a ballista bolt. Linde isn’t too hard to level up on normal since nobody seems to have good res. Caeda’s max speed is nice but that 5 strength could be a problem soon. At least with clerics not gaining magic could be offset by higher tier staves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RydogZeta posted:

I found that northeast save point very handy when beating this level manly to test who will survive a ballista bolt. Linde isn’t too hard to level up on normal since nobody seems to have good res. Caeda’s max speed is nice but that 5 strength could be a problem soon. At least with clerics not gaining magic could be offset by higher tier staves.
You forget the power of a forged wing spear. Caeda could 1 round bosses for the rest of the game should hippo want her to

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Also Fire Emblem comes up with the most creative expletive phrases. :allears:

You won't get to see it because this isn't an LP for his game (and it is certainly HIS game), but this is my favorite thing about Awakening Owain.

vilkacis posted:

He gained strength so he has clearly been working out :colbert:

I saw that and wondered if I should change the wording on it, but thought "Nah, thread will never notice." Every time I do that you all prove me wrong and I'm thankful.

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly surprised this is not a Thracia 776 unit for real.

Blaze Dragon posted:

At the beginning of the update, after Nyna talks about her parents' gruesome deaths, you have the same image twice, LordHippoman.

Whoops. Fixing it. Sorry, new uploader has a nasty habit of giving double links sometimes.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm down for any game where you get to fight Dr. Doom

At first I didn't get what you meant, then I looked up and-

Spielmeister posted:

Poor Draug. Wendell is arguably better at the whole tanking thing at this point and he's a Sage. :v:

Muscle Wizard.

RydogZeta posted:

I found that northeast save point very handy when beating this level manly to test who will survive a ballista bolt. Linde isn't too hard to level up on normal since nobody seems to have good res. Caeda's max speed is nice but that 5 strength could be a problem soon. At least with clerics not gaining magic could be offset by higher tier staves.

Yeah, I've been eyeing that, but I'll probably be giving her the Energy Drop(s) at least, and like FoolyCharged mentioned, forging is pretty easy in this game because they give you lots of cash and you don't really need to buy weapons. Also, I've got a good stash from Arena Leveling Linde and Caesar.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

You won't get to see it because this isn't an LP for his game (and it is certainly HIS game), but this is my favorite thing about Awakening Owain.

Don't worry, I've played every game except Thracia 776 and Gaiden, and with Echoes on the way, the latter will soon be handled. And Odin carries on his old habits from Awakening, which is a lot of fun (particularly as he gets an inherent +10 to his crit rate for having a custom weapon with a long name). Well, and perhaps ironically given my info dump about it in the New Mystery thread, I haven't played the actual Satellaview maps, aside from as part of New Mystery. They're available enough, but really, without the voice acting (which was streamed semi-live, and is thus lost forever unless the files are still in the radio station's archive room somewhere), there's no point to playing the original versions.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 12: It Takes Ages (Prep)

Time to siege another castle. This doesn’t happen every six chapters exactly, though I’d forgive you for getting that impression.

Oddly enough it is roughly that often though.

I love that the Archanean palace is just called “The Palace”.

: The first king, Adrah, had fought valiantly to accomplish this, wielding the three weapons he came to call his regalia- gifts from the gods, some said.

: Three A-Ranks?

: He also invented reclassing.

: The kingdom Adrah forged was pronounced holy; its kings were esteemed. With Archanea’s aid, six more independent kingdoms sprang up in their own time. But Archanea was always the greatest- and now, Marth was about to take his first walk through its historic palace’s halls.

I have to admit to being a little confused here. Because even not counting Dolhr, since it’s an empire and older than Archanea, I think, or...Pyrathi, there are seven other nations in Archanea. Aurelis, Altea, Gra, Talys, Macedon, Khadein, and Grust. Maybe Altea and Gra are meant to count as one? Maybe Talys doesn’t count since it’s an island?

Speaking of which, I do have a map here, from the Fire Emblem wiki. Some of the names are in Japanese, but I did relabel them. Seamlessly, you totally can’t tell.

In case you were wondering about the geography aspects of this LP.

This chapter is skimpy on the character slots, for reasons that will become apparent very quickly. I dropped Ogma because he’s high level and can afford missing a map, and Draug because he’s not doing so hot. I made room for Linde and Maria, and it’s a very good idea to bring a Thief on this map, so Julian will help out.

This map starts off already inside the palace, but don’t totally count that outdoor area out. If this looks familiar, thanks for reading the other thread! Or, you know, playing the game yourself, but I can dream.

There are a pair of thieves who have chosen the absolute worst spot to start.

Good thing they’re full of loot.

There’s a prison cell here, guarded by a hefty barricade of Knights and some ranged units. It’s important to get here quick, so Armor Knight counters will be pretty useful.

After that, there’s a long stretch of hallway that looks like it might be the perfect place for, say, some sudden, moving mounted units. Just a hunch. And at the end, a Manakete.

There’s also an alternate path full of treasure, but it’s well guarded by a General and Sniper. Julian’s going to be looting in here, but he’ll need an escort.

Since we’re already at the throne, I’ll show off the boss. Volzhin is probably the most dangerous boss so far, because not only does he have two range, magic attacks are painful. Still, he’s not too bad.

In another odd move, there’s a second “boss” on this map. Heimler the Paladin is not recruitable, he just has a portrait for some reason. I remember back when this game came out, there were so many topics on Ye Olde GameFAQS panicking about how you recruited Heimler. You can’t. He and his cavalier pals will charge us, however, so it’s important to be ready for him.

I also wanted to try out Pirate Barst. He’s pretty much identical to Normal Barst, but with some very minor stat differences.

Caeda gets the Energy Drop we pilfered last map, because her Strength is the one stat that’s really hurting on her.

And the Spirit Dust should help Cord make up for a couple unfortunate rolls on Magic.

Next time we storm the Ageless Palace.

Bonus Content

Let’s have Mage Chat.

: Huh? Where's my magic tome...? I was sure I left it here.

: Sorry, Linde. I borrowed it for a bit.

: Aha, that makes sense. But, you do know that magic tome can only be used by women, right?

I don’t think they ever explain the sex-locked tomes, in gameplay or in story.

: That's why I borrowed it. As I thought, I couldn't use it... How strange. I wonder why? Your father... Pontifex Miloah was able to wield Aura, right?

: ...Father once told me. Advanced tomes have restrictions on who can use them, based on who created and inherited them.

: ...I see. So you mean to say the condition to use a magic tome isn't necessarily just gender. I wonder how these user restrictions are set into place...

: There are many things about magic that remain unexplained. It seems the more you learn about magic, the less you understand it.

: Indeed. I've been studying magic for a long as I remember, but all the answers I find lead to more questions. Oh right. If you're interested, there's something I'd like you to read. Well, it's an unfinished thesis, but...

: Wow... You're writing a thesis? You really study hard, Merric. Of course I'd like to read it!

: Great. Don't forget to tell me what you think about it, later.

Nerds.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 12: It Takes Ages (Battle)

Today we’re taking on the Ageless Palace, another map that will return in nightmarish form in the sequel. It’s got some tricky bits in this incarnation too, but I should be able to handle it.

If I couldn’t you wouldn’t be seeing the update. It is a hella long update though, as that seems to be my curse with Archanea themed maps.

: Bishop, what do you make of this? I hear shouting in the corridors.

Boah really does just look like :smith: in human form.

: An army?! Really? Then we are saved!

: Saved, perhaps...or doomed. Surely the enemy realizes we are more trouble alive than dead now.

: You do not take my meaning, Bishop. By “we” I mean Archanea. Archanea is saved. If Princess Nyna has truly come to chase the enemy from our halls, to free us…Then my death will have meaning.

Nyna ain’t gonna do poo poo. She’s got a Sage sprite but she’s never playable.

: Ho ho...I admire your spirit, child. I always have. But think how Astram would grieve if you were to die.

: I... I had hoped to see him one last time- to say goodbye. That alone I regret.

: Ah, but you have not died yet, Midia. Hang on to hope.

Immediately I want this free sword. These thieves really are just designed to be item dispensers. 9 Attack and 2 Defense in Chapter 12?

They didn’t even pretend with these jokers.

As seen again.

So, I’ve moved Abel and Hammer Barst to draw out the Knights. But, all my units have moved, so...I’m not sure why my turn’s not…

Oh. Yeah, all these guys just…appear in this cell at the start of the map. And they’re all automatically joined up. The archers and mage outside the cell will be shooting at them, so you’ll have to move quickly if you want to save them. There are two safe squares in the top center there, and ideally you can try to tank the mage with Boah, and the archers with those knights...but on harder difficulties that really still won’t last you long.

Regardless, they’re all new units, so let’s do the rundown thing.

Boah sucks. Like, worse than Jagen sucks. Not only does he have atrocious base stats, his personal growths consist of 20 Luck, 10 Res, and…-10 HP. He’s got a B in tomes, I guess, but...that’s not really saving him.

Midia the Paladin is yet another of Shadow Dragon’s “here have a horse” characters. I think she’s the final Paladin/Cavalier, though, and she’s probably the worst of the bunch. She’s got a notably solid HP growth, but she’s really hurting for Strength, and her weapon levels aren’t even worth noting. Again, Jagen had the edge here.

Macellan’s the Red Knight, and he’s not as bad as those first two, but he’s not great. He doesn’t have any notably great growths, and some really bad ones. (Zeroes in HP and Defense as a Knight.), as well as showing up notably underleveled and at 3 Speed. Regardless of his decent base defense, the enemies here will melt that 20 HP pretty quick with doubles.

Dolph’s the Green Knight. I actually kinda like Dolph. He’s not exceptional, but he doesn’t have any huge, glaring weaknesses. He’s underleveled and you’d need to baby him if you wanted to use him, but he turns out pretty alright.

That’s not really a reason to use him over Roger, Draug, or Wolf, but...it’s more than anyone else here gets.

Tomas is so boring I almost just don’t have anything to say about him. He just...doesn’t really stand out anywhere. His base stats are bad, his growths are “eh”, and he doesn’t get a single line of dialogue in the entire game.

So as you can see we’ve got some real champions here, it’s a mystery how Archanea ever fell.

Maybe if they had more Barst? That would have helped.

I shimmied the prisoner units around a bit to try and minimize damage. If I was smart I’d have made Boah distract the mage, but I’m not. So this is an EXTREMELY tight clock.

Why yes, I am going to cheese it.

When I said it was tight I wasn’t kidding. Caeda and Cain, the fastest movers on the team, rushed full bore and it’ll still take them a few turns. I don’t really have that kind of time. Thankfully this map has already sorta given you the tool to circumvent it.

Case in point. Dolph isn’t living through another hit of that. I could shuffle Boah out, but it would only buy me very little time.

It’s also probably worth mentioning that the enemies aren’t sitting still while I play Prison Break here. The mages down south are rushing the team.

DEPLOY SECRET WEAPON

CODENAME: BARST DROP

(c’mon maria)

The Barst Drop is swift and merciless.

Everyone else is just sorta meandering their way forward. I’ve got to cut those mages off eventually.

Oh, so, here’s something to worry about. Reinforcements from the outside of the castle. Two Cavaliers and a Horseman. And they’ll be spawning for a while.

Well, we’ll worry about that sooner rather than later, but for now I have to watch both of these archers whiff on Barst. :allears:

There we go. Thankfully this map provides you with a pretty ideal chokepoint right where these halls converge.

Thankfully Barst and Marth can clear up the remainder of these assholes who were harassing our prison pals.

Also might as well open a door here. Julian’s not doing anything else at the moment.

Also, to add to our troubles, Heimler and his Cavalier goons aren’t happy with us now, so we’ve got even more incoming threats from the south.

The first set are kinda pushovers, though.

I’m not upset, just disappointed.

The second mage is a little more of a threat, due to his Elfire tome. Thankfully he drops it on death, Cord or Linde will want their hands on that.

Marth also officially cleans up the last of the prison guards.

You know, it’s two stats, but one of them is Strength, so I’m okay with it.

Turn 5, a new set of Reinhorsements. This is going to happen every other turn, yes.

And the first group is almost here. We have a medic on standby.

Yikes. Even against Abel, our most defensive not-Wolf character, these guys make a dent. I’d also like to apologize for these level ups if you come from the more recent, or less recent and Not Shadow Dragon FE games. It was a simpler, more frustrating time.

Perhaps it is time to reevaluate the chokepoint and make it NOT on a corner.

I even could have cheated and looked at the last LP. Whoops.

Ah well, no harm done. Except to Abel.

A little emergency Blizzard from Linde and the hall is clear of the first mounted menace.

Speaking of Mounted Menaces, though, Caeda needs to Vulnerary up here. It’s been mentioned in the thread that I got hella lucky with Caeda’s Defense growths? We’re about to see that in action.

Yes, yes, I see you guys.

I now present to you, Caeda.

Who killed both Cavaliers and brought Heimler down to 1 HP in one turn

This is just the ultimate disrespect.

Yoink.

At least being a meatshield is doing wonders for Abel’s lancing arm.

Not so much for his lance, though.

I was hesitant to use this, since the Javelin’s got range, but now I don’t have a choice. Guess these Riders are just gonna have to get Bane’d.

I’m using Physic because that Horseman could probably double and kill Maria.

Linde will be okay, though.

What did I do to you, level up machine. What did I ever do to you?

Insult to injury here, but at least this is the last batch.

Abel’s stinging a bit, though, so he’s going to draw back and heal up while Barst takes on a bit of his work.

I love this pirate.

The level up machine has forgiven me, evidently. I just realized Maria is probably our best tank against mages right now.

So while all that tomfoolery is going on up top, a small strike team is moving to take out this manakete.

They are cunning. They are capable. They are Caeda, Cord, Cain, and Caesar.

They are the C-Team.

Caesar does all the work, but that’s pretty much how these teams tend to function anyway, isn’t it?

Barst just refuses to be hit by arrows on this map.

Thankfully Maria’s still good at what she does.

...poo poo, I left the Wyrmslayer on Ogma.

My hubris!

This is of little comfort.

I’m sorry about all these Barst levels. But only a little.

Still, that 1 new Defense isn’t going to save him against this last wave.

Subbing Abel back in.

I’d say it was a good choice.

That’s all the reinforcements out of the way, but there’s still a hallway full of treasure to plunder. Plunder team is a go.

Marth positions himself to lure out the general.

The general does not come. Good news, though, here’s a chest of 20k gold! Shadow Dragon’s not a game where you’ll be hurting for funds.

Julian’s also starting to collect these. We might even use some of them soon.

Maria gets a pretty great level (And Staff Level) just by healing up the units who are still a bit dinged up.

Maybe this will convince him to move. I don’t want to get too close to that door, because Mr. Silver Bow Sniper is not a kind host.

Ah, that woke him up.

Thankfully it woke him up directly into Aura. Goodbye, General.

Ooh. Not bad. The Arms Scroll automatically gives a unit a rank up in the weapon of your choice. Great for reclassing.

The last two chests are under the cover of the sniper, so we’ll have to take him down. This guy is probably the toughest enemy so far, he makes the boss look like a chump.

Thankfully Aura is still a tactical nuke. I needed to weaken him with Barst first, though, or he would double and kill Linde. Silver Bow Sniper Guy don’t gently caress around.

More speed for Linde is always good.

I will remember you, nameless enemy NPC, for being a pain in the rear end.

This isn’t a particularly interesting piece of loot, it’s just the Wyrmslayer but a Lance.

Taking out the boss’s remaining guards is trivial, since they can’t attack.

And the final treasure is...a Silver Sword.

Really? You guys put all the best stuff towards the unguarded part of the room! No wonder Archanea Castle keeps getting ransacked.

Don’t mind me, Boss, I’m just opening a door.

No sense dallying, I suppose. Here we come!

And there he goes. As a Bishop, Volzhin isn’t particularly tanky, even with the Throne. His exclusive Tome, Bolganone, is neat, though.

Fun facts about Bolganone, Robin uses it in Smash Bros. and it’s apparently pronounced like “Volcannon”, because “bolganone” doesn’t actually mean poo poo. I figured it would be an obscure mythology reference like Imhullu, but nope!

It’s easy to almost forget, but there’s still this shop and Chest in the bottom right of the map, where Heimler started.

:eyepop:

There’s the good poo poo. The Boots are a permanent +2 Movement. Nothing else in the game, bar promotions, gives movement. There is only one pair. You will want to give them to Marth, so he can scoot around to villages and stuff faster.

The shop is less exciting, just a lot of swords. I bought a few anyway because we’re loaded.

Anyway, Map Clear!

:toot:

: I could not have done it alone, Nyna. The whole Archanean League fought tooth and nail this day.

Except Nyna, who did nothing.

: True, and yet all the same… I have little doubt your exploits are the ones that will live on in song. I have a gift for you, to celebrate your achievements here.

: The other two regalia- the sword Mercurius and the lance Gradivus are not here. The enemy took them when they fled. I am sorry. I had hoped to give you all three, and thus aid you in the battles to come….

I don’t think we can use either of them yet anyway.

: Your concern for me is more than enough, Nyna. One day, I will get your family’s treasures back and use them to crush Dolhr. I swear it on this emblem of fire!

And so we got the best Bow in the game :toot:.

Next time:

: Sir Jagen! Have you covered that narration slide in crayon?

: Yes.

: But...why?

: Because I’ve just realized, again, I’m telling this story completely wrong! Let me correct things…

Next time, actually, a return to the Normal mode run for another Gaiden chapter.

Bonus Content

The Love-Longing Knight, Midia

Not to be confused with Medea, the witch, Madea, the Tyler Perry character, or Media, the main means of mass communication/healing spell from SMT.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yeah, with the absolutely absurd amount of money you get in Shadow Dragon, there's no reason to not forge a weapon every chapter. When I played Awakening I really had idea why I'd spend so much money on a weapon that's going to break anyway (and ya know, Awakening is so easy anyway) but when you having NOTHING to really spend it on, might as well.

Well, okay, there's a secret shop at the end where you can spend a fuckton on, but I was still able to buy every single stat booster I could and still had some money left over so.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I kind of hate the floor in there, at a glance it looks like the graphics are glitching out and that's never a good thing.

Boots may be worth it, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do we even have a unit that can use Parthia at the moment?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Do we even have a unit that can use Parthia at the moment?

Jeorge almost can. Nobody on our main team, however.

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, with the absolutely absurd amount of money you get in Shadow Dragon, there's no reason to not forge a weapon every chapter. When I played Awakening I really had idea why I'd spend so much money on a weapon that's going to break anyway (and ya know, Awakening is so easy anyway) but when you having NOTHING to really spend it on, might as well.

Well, okay, there's a secret shop at the end where you can spend a fuckton on, but I was still able to buy every single stat booster I could and still had some money left over so.

The money is a lot more generous in this game, and there's not a ton of stuff to spend it on. Weapons are in pretty healthy supply as drops and on recruits, and there's no cash sink like the Training Grounds in FE12 or the infinite shops in Awakening/Fates.

vilkacis posted:

I kind of hate the floor in there, at a glance it looks like the graphics are glitching out and that's never a good thing.

Now I know why I felt slightly nauseous doing this update, Nyna has no idea how to do interior decoration.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

LordHippoman posted:

Fun facts about Bolganone, Robin uses it in Smash Bros. and it’s apparently pronounced like “Volcannon”, because “bolganone” doesn’t actually mean poo poo. I figured it would be an obscure mythology reference like Imhullu, but nope!

To clarify, at least to my ears in the english version, it gets pronounced "BOWL-ga-known".

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

To clarify, at least to my ears in the english version, it gets pronounced "BOWL-ga-known".

I may have hosed up the wording on that. The wiki article I was looking at mentioned that it used to be fan-translated as "Volcannon" a lot, but that was before voice acting and such. Robin in Smash does pretty clearly say it that way.

Also, just as a heads up, the next update might be a bit delayed because it takes more time than usual, since I'm redoing Chapters 6-12. Not going to lock the thread or anything in case people have questions/comments, but fair warning. If there's anything I'm not doing or showing that you'd like to be seeing, feel free to let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 12x: Saint Jagen (Prep)

: Everything I’ve told you is part of the old legends. Naturally, we’ve learned some more factual information since then.

: Weren’t you there, Sir Jagen?

: Eyewitness accounts aren’t always reliable.

: First I found religion.

(This was a request from early in the thread I forgot to reclass for. Whoops! Sorry it took this long.)

Lefcandith Gauntlet is probably the most different feeling map in this set between the difficulties, because of how much this one relies on reinforcements and how buffed they are in Hard mode. This time around, the roaming Dracoknight is much less threatening.

Sedgar and Wolf take a lot longer to become offensive powerhouses than they do Defensive ones, thanks to General’s insane base Defense. They’ll get there eventually.

Thankfully we have another heavy hitter. :smuggo:

So Minerva and her team, at least on Normal, won’t attack you. They just hover in the middle here until Minerva decides to leave. They’re of zero threat.

These deadly foes had to be stopped.

So it turns out stopping this fort up with Caeda is a really good idea, because otherwise it spawns Ridersbane guys. That’ll put a damper on any defense involving one of your 500 Cavaliers.

I’d also just like to note that Athena owns.

I left Catria alive because I don’t want to incur her wrath.

This, however, is far too big a chunk of EXP to pass up. One reason I prefer Merric to Linde is how much utility Excalibur brings in this game, where fliers are deadly.

: He’s about to use his legendary technique!

: oh

: I’m glad we had this chance to talk, Roger. You’re every bit the man I thought you were. Goodbye, then…

: :black101:

This might be the only kill Kannival has ever gotten in any run of Shadow Dragon.

Our two rando generics for this set of maps included Xestu, a pretty unremarkable pirate, and Penvo, who has an AMAZING 15 defense, which is on par with General Wolf.

He is also the only Fire Emblem unit I think I’ve ever seen with zero Speed. Oh my god, Penvo, can you even move in that suit?

: So we tell the new guy, “yeah, pick whatever axe you want”, and I’m telling you, this is the funniest thing that happened in the entire war.

Here’s Bantu in action. He’s pretty solid for a while on Normal Mode, but he drops off like a rock. I don’t want to kill him off, though, since he recruits a character later.

: What happened to Sir Jeorge’s weapons?

: Don’t worry about it.

Caeda still caps speed at Level 10 on this run.

: …

: You can’t judge us. Only the gods can judge us.

: And they judged harshly.

I don’t think I’ve shown a Generic Unit level up, so here’s Penvo! Again!

: We aren’t sure why she said that after we killed her sister and clearly had no intention of helping, but some say it was because it was more convenient this way.

Just wanted to note that units CAN sneak through this little gap. It’s just rough, because that cliff thing eats movement points.

In the Arena, Linde immediately crit twice with 2%’s and killed this guy. I’m not sure why the actual take of that didn’t go that well.

See, this is more familiar.

All stat boosts go to Jagen. Even the Strength ones.

: Next, we rescued the prisoners in the Ageless Palace!

: ...We got one of ‘em.
So, that should get you up to speed…

This chapter doesn’t get a location name. I think that’s a thing with the Gaiden maps.

: A landed knight there named Horace, who had betrayed Archanea to join Dolhr, continued to stubbornly hold out against Marth’s forces. Nyna could not fathom why such a fiercely loyal knight would turn to treachery, but with her other knights calling for Horace’s blood, she had no choice but to give in and ask Marth to bring the traitor to justice.

Quick status update on the unit we got last time on this run, Athena. She’s doing great. A lot of it is probably the Normal Mode talking, but she feels far more powerful than Nabarl ever really did.

I reclassed PENVO because otherwise he will not die. Same with Dolph.

This map is fairly straightforward, especially after the twists and turns in Archanea Castle. There are some rivers to cross, but it’s not a huge deal, and it’s pretty much a straight shot north to the boss.

There are two villages we’ll want to look out for, as well as scattered enemies. Nothing very threatening, though.

Horace himself, along with his personal little group of units, occupy one of these islands. It’s in your best interest not to attack him. You can probably guess why, but I’m still trying to play coy here.

The boss is a pretty embarassing one range Paladin. That Sniper’s far more threatening, but that’s faint praise.

We’ll see that next time.

Bonus Content

Athena’s Great

: Steve, thanks to you, ve understood all sorts of things. Ve must thank you for everything. Ve are very grateful.

: I'm glad for having spent time with you too, Miss Athena.

: Ve vant to show our feelings to Steve. Ve vill apologize with our life.

: Excuse me? Oh no, you used the wrong word again. Didn't you mean "thank", instead of "apologize"?

(Neither of those really make sense, Steve)

: Yes. “Thank”.

: Oh.

: As thanks, ve vill become Steve’s little sister.

: Eh...!? M-Miss Athena... It seems you used the wrong word again.

: Vat? Ve are mistaken? Then... Ve vill become Steve’s mother?

: Both are wrong. Er... I don't know what kind of thanks you had in mind. But it's fine. I've already received enough.

: Ven? Ve don't remember giving any.

: Be it in the battlefield or outside of it, we've always been together. You're a precious comrade to me. The bond that was born between us... cannot be replaced.

: Steve... Ve feel the same. Even if the vords are different, and the lifestyles are different, bonds betveen people are the same... Ve feel a bond with you as vell, Steve…

(The w in “between” is missing from the Serenes script for this scene. I had to make an executive decision. I hope you approve.)

: I see. Miss Athena knows the word "bond".

: ...Ve know that much. Stupid Steve.

: I-I’m sorry.

• Locked thread