Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Came out earlier this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is dragging stuff like bookshelves to block windows worthwhile? Or do I need to work for construction? I tried putting up 2 or three but haven't had much success - do they also block incoming light so I can't crat and read? I keep having this problem..

So when I'm crafting I tend to not have any trouble for the first afternoon and then after sleeping and getting some skills up to 1-2, beginning to make a kit of gear etc.. It seems as though my character just loses the ability to do anything, most of the time. I try to (R)ead a book and get "you can't see that" (although if I try to read a different way via the (inventory) and then (R)eading after looking at the book it works - sometimes). Also it's super duper hard to sleep, on a bed or out of a bed, with blankets lying around or worn, etc.. I don't really get how sleep works.

Also without some kind of timepiece I have no idea what time it is a lot, because of the weird plus sign and blue bar that I'm not really sure if that's the sun overhead, but then what's the blue poo poo..? What rate do torcehs and flashlights and glow sticks wear down?

Tough game, I've been tempted to turn off special zombies now that I've almost gotten to the point where I can make myself a duffel bag and knife spear and run around going to town on poo poo, but eventually some K-9 zombie will spot me and run me down.. I keep starting out with my shelter ridiculously close to high-threat buildings like military, or hospital, big stores, etc.. Is there a starting location I can choose besides the weak evac shelter, that's usually fairly reliable? I started in a pawn shop once which was p good but I was surrounded by buildings in daylight and had Zs coming in the windows before I could even loot the place.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I really like Fire Stations as they have plenty of space and only one door that the Zombies can feasibly get through, but you'll need to start with some combat skills to clear out the inhabitants. If you start as a firefighter you will spawn at one.

Unless it's has been changed recently you can make a lightstrip, which will generate a tiny amount of light for a long time. It's a good stopgap until you get your heat/power situation figured out. You can get parts and figure out the recipe by disassembling flashlights.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
For my starting base I prefer a regular house on the outskirts of town. Find one with a window that faces the alley between houses and you have free daylight with lowish risk of zombies seeing you. You can stay around there a few weeks until you slap together a vehicle or find a nearby location you really like.

For early game light, indoor fires on braziers or ovens does the trick. Electric lanterns or gas lanterns are also nice. More expensive but very portable and less resource-hungry than flashlights. Lightstrips are also amazing for light to craft by, but reading by lightstrip takes like twice as long.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You mentioned shelter, if you're talking about an evac shelter, there's a console in the top right corner that gives (poor still?) light to read (slowly?) by.

Z9s are a pain in the dick early game, you can drop your duffel bag and have a much better chance of hitting them.

E: Braziers are the correct early game choice. The smoke they give off is negligible now and they give full light in adjacent tiles so you aren't taking a percentage malus to read speed.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Is dragging stuff like bookshelves to block windows worthwhile? Or do I need to work for construction? I tried putting up 2 or three but haven't had much success - do they also block incoming light so I can't crat and read? I keep having this problem..

So when I'm crafting I tend to not have any trouble for the first afternoon and then after sleeping and getting some skills up to 1-2, beginning to make a kit of gear etc.. It seems as though my character just loses the ability to do anything, most of the time. I try to (R)ead a book and get "you can't see that" (although if I try to read a different way via the (inventory) and then (R)eading after looking at the book it works - sometimes). Also it's super duper hard to sleep, on a bed or out of a bed, with blankets lying around or worn, etc.. I don't really get how sleep works.

Also without some kind of timepiece I have no idea what time it is a lot, because of the weird plus sign and blue bar that I'm not really sure if that's the sun overhead, but then what's the blue poo poo..? What rate do torcehs and flashlights and glow sticks wear down?

Tough game, I've been tempted to turn off special zombies now that I've almost gotten to the point where I can make myself a duffel bag and knife spear and run around going to town on poo poo, but eventually some K-9 zombie will spot me and run me down.. I keep starting out with my shelter ridiculously close to high-threat buildings like military, or hospital, big stores, etc.. Is there a starting location I can choose besides the weak evac shelter, that's usually fairly reliable? I started in a pawn shop once which was p good but I was surrounded by buildings in daylight and had Zs coming in the windows before I could even loot the place.

Blocking windows: Yes it will block off the light so you won't be able to craft/read by daylight. Zombies will eventually tear through any wood-based barricade anyway so I don't tend to bother (I play with static spawns though, so once you clear out your initial area fortification isn't really that important anymore).

The time interface is a bit confusing - basically it's meant to represent the position of the sun/moon in the sky. The blue is just the lit up sky, and even when the sun is over the horizon you've still got enough light to see by for a bit longer. Likewise, it gets light out earlier than when the sun actually shows up on the bar, so if you're getting up and you can already see it on there, you've actually lost about 3-4 hours of daylight which might be why the days are feeling so short. Also if you're having trouble seeing things, make sure you aren't wearing anything that gives eye encumbrance (glasses/goggles, any kind of face mask, etc). Light sources all wear down at different rates - torches don't last long but since you can easily craft them you don't have to worry about supply too much. Flashlights last quite a bit longer but I wouldn't use them to read - you'll just burn through your batteries. They're more for doing exploring at night. Glowsticks last a VERY long time and although they only produce one tile's worth of light, it's still enough to read by. The downside is that you can't turn them off once you activate them so you'll want to be sure you won't have to go to sleep immediately after cracking one open.

Sleeping will be difficult early on, mainly because of temperature issues (you start the game in early spring by default so there are many days where it will still be near freezing). You don't need to actually wear blankets to use them - just having them sitting in the same tile as you will use them automatically. The sleep system is kind of complicated but basically it boils down to comfort + warmth. Things that boost comfort are like proper beds, cots, sleeping bags, etc. Meanwhile trying to sleep on debris or some other kind of obstacle will decrease your comfort - if you don't have a proper bed or something bed-like available, a bare floor is better than trying to sleep on a table. Warmth comes from anything that can be worn on the torso or legs in the tile (so blankets, but also shirts/pants, and again, don't have to be wearing it, just have it lying there on the bed), as well as the bed itself if you have one (better stuff is warmer - beds for example are twice as warm as sofas). It also takes into account how tired you actually are, so you'll have trouble sleeping if your energy isn't at least at "tired", and especially if you've got caffeine or other stimulants in your system (sleeping aids like ambien will make you feel more tired, as you'd expect, thus make sleeping easier).

With static spawns pretty much any starting point or near a city will be dangerous - one of the ones I've taken a liking to is the school. It's a rough first few days since you're going to be plowing through dozens of zombie kids which will take a toll on your mood and although they're individually weak there's so many that it's easy to bite off more than you can chew and get swarmed. That said, there are lots of doors you can funnel them through to take them on one at a time, and if they do start to swarm, they're slow and the school is big, so you can lose them pretty easily just running in the halls. Once you clear it out though there's a ton of good supplies available and they tend to be near enough to cities to make scavenging trips but not so close that tough zombies will wander over to you, plus you will have a ton of skill books in the library so you can spend a few days just cramming to boost your skills to reasonable levels - this is especially good if you happen to find books that boost dodge and melee skills which are otherwise kind of dangerous to learn from scratch.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

coyo7e posted:

Is dragging stuff like bookshelves to block windows worthwhile?
not even remotely.

so here's the thing: in general, roofed structures are there to provide resources, let you get out of the rain and to break LOS. they are not worth putting any effort into. you will never want to set up and say 'okay, this is my base now', outside of doing some crazy offbeat stuff. mechanically it will NEVER make sense. every place is just a temporary stockpile of food, water, and reading material until you have what you need to armor yourself up repair a car. at that point the car is your base. when the trunk doesn't fit your poo poo anymore you will start ripping out pieces to give you more space. when you run out of space, you will know what you want from a vehicle well enough to start building your own. that custom deathcar is your overall goal from a mechanical perspective. narratively it's still all up to you of course.

for cutting LOS or the other things that you would drag bookshelves for, draw the curtains by [c]losing closed windows. places like storefront windows won't have curtains but house windows will. do not bother barricading. if you're on the run, just jump the window to force the zombies to stumble through it, and KEEP RUNNING.

quote:

the error message for attempting to craft or read when it's too dark should be "you can't see to read/craft!" i'm not sure what "you can't see that" implies; if you see it again, please grab a screenshot.

with the environmental timer: the plus sign is the sun, so you can track where it is in the sky. conversely, the blue stuff is the moon. this will allow you to approximate what time it is without a timepiece.

as far as how fast stuff consumes charges, it depends. the simple response is to just try to use them and see how it goes for you. the big thing to remember is that the game world is literally infinite - if you travel to the edge of it, it will generate more. this means that if you're not sure what something does, just poke around with it. the worst case scenario is that you will screw up the item - but the world is infinite, so THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER. in general, i avoid using flashlights for reading light because batteries have myriad uses, but glow sticks are only useful for providing light so i will definitely crack those to chill out and read/craft for a while.

in addition to the other tips on light so far, i get light is turning on the dome light on a car and running the battery dry on that. it takes days for even a 2% battery to die on a dome light and you have great reading light the whole time. you do this by taking control of a car with [^] on its steering wheel, and then controlling [v]ehicle lights. the controls lights is basically the dome light on the car. the engine does NOT need to be on for this to work.

sleeping works much like it does irl. you will try to fall asleep after a sleep command, and your chances of doing that are influenced by a number of things. if your character isn't tired, it's much harder. if you're on an uncomfortable place (so not like a bed or something), it's harder. if you're not a comfortable temperature, it's harder. if you're in pain, it's harder. in general you tend to need to be pretty tired to sleep, and staying asleep can still be quite difficult if you've got complicating factors like a lot of pain, a cold, or the area is too bright or too noisy. the 'defects' bad hearing and heavy sleeper are almost perks because of this; these 'defects' will keep you asleep.

quote:

a cudgel is honestly and truly the absolute best newbie weapon you can ask for. a knife-spear is good but it presumes that you've got the skill and stats to kill things efficiently. you do not need to do that with cudgels because they stun, disorient, and screw up your enemies so often that even if you are hitting for almost no damage, you will be able to wear them down with no real threat to you (and you will get melee/bashing practice the entire time). it is even easier to get than a knife-spear too. you merely need a cutting tool and a large stick.

on starting locations, you're implying that you're beginning with the default Evacuee background, which absolutely limits you to one of those evacuation shelters. they are good to head back to for the first few nights because they have a guaranteed source of light (the monitor) and a guaranteed quiet and dark place to sleep (the basement). they also have guaranteed curtains on the doors, which will get you the sheets, string, and sticks you need to form a basic survival kit. however its distance means that you will lose a lot of time to just transiting so i would only use it the first 2-3 nights while you get your poo poo together with a level or two of fabrication and scoping out the local area. after you have a cudgel in your hand and a hoodie, t-shirt, cargo pants, and shoes that all fit on your body, it is time to leave that shelter behind for good.

if you want to try some other spot, you're going to want the "Missed" background and then you can choose something else. the thing to be aware of is that this is going to put you dead near the action without tools or weapons, so it depends on what you want. the most immediately helpful place will be a Gun Store, because the door will be unlocked for you, the windows are bandit-barriered so you can blast fool zombies easily, and you will have many, many bullets to fire. if you can survive the first few days with guile, though, a bookstore will absolutely, positively be the best thing. a bookstore will spit out practically every book you will need, so it solves the day-4 problem you will have - which is breaking out of the cage inevitably drawn by you not having all the skills you need. get food, get water, get a cudgel, get half-proper clothing...then you want to hibernate and read up.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 21, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Awesome thanks for all the great replies! I played a ton of the game over the weekend on yesterday's holiday and finally got to the point wheer I was starting to understand how I thought things worked, it was just the things that seemed to not work inexplicably were panning out.. I mean I played for like 10 hours before I found out that closing and pulling down curtains was even possible - and how to get early skills moving without running into town in daylight or sleeping until midnight and starving before I got poo poo done! :D

I found that at the name-choice menu I can hit "/" so I'm not sure what's locked about my profession (unless it's a challenge one) in terms of that, much.. But I noticed that the Cabin doesn't seem to exist - it gives an error and poops my character into some random wilderness iirc.

I don't think I've ever seen a school, started in a library a couple times but wasted too much time reading before I realized I oughtta be learning via practise whenever I can early in.

But I had NFC that the consoles in the shelter were usable without at least computer skill, and learning recipes from taking apart stuff is something I'm still getting the hang of, since I'm usually too desperate to keep a flashlight to break it! :laugh:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Awesome thanks for all the great replies! I played a ton of the game over the weekend on yesterday's holiday and finally got to the point wheer I was starting to understand how I thought things worked, it was just the things that seemed to not work inexplicably were panning out.. I mean I played for like 10 hours before I found out that closing and pulling down curtains was even possible - and how to get early skills moving without running into town in daylight or sleeping until midnight and starving before I got poo poo done! :D

I found that at the name-choice menu I can hit "/" so I'm not sure what's locked about my profession (unless it's a challenge one) in terms of that, much.. But I noticed that the Cabin doesn't seem to exist - it gives an error and poops my character into some random wilderness iirc.

I don't think I've ever seen a school, started in a library a couple times but wasted too much time reading before I realized I oughtta be learning via practise whenever I can early in.

But I had NFC that the consoles in the shelter were usable without at least computer skill, and learning recipes from taking apart stuff is something I'm still getting the hang of, since I'm usually too desperate to keep a flashlight to break it! :laugh:

Schools are insanely rare. You almost need to start as a student to see one.

Which is actually good because they are filled to capacity with child zombies and the morale penalty for killing them is deadly.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Man, I apparently hang in the shelter way too long according to common consensus. I turtle in there for whole seasons sometimes, stockpiling supplies, setting up big kitchens and workshops, building a palatial bedroom in the cellar. Outside the shelter always ends up looking like a scrapyard with all the cars and parts. It's absolutely correct that commuting into the city can take a long time which can be a pain in the rear end, but I'm super paranoid about getting stuck in hostile territory or the middle of nowhere with a broken-down vehicle and dwindling supplies. I'll spend a few nights at a time at most on scavenging excursions, focusing on specific buildings and goals, before rushing back to my evac shelter, then the rest of the time cooking, reading, and improving my gear. I turn up urbanization to make sure I have lots of nearby buildings, and keep static spawns to slowly clear territory through attrition.

I also play with mundane zombies so really I'm just a soft boy afraid of risk and also the world.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
At least you're not me I guess? I still tend to play with stats-from-skills on and min-max everything aggressively while slowly building first the perfect gigantic solar-powered hobobase, and then, some in-game years later when I've finally depleting everything of value within four map screens, I'll start work on an aggressively min-maxed Mad Max vehicle with my superhuman abilities and stockpiles of several labs and town's worth of supplies.

I'm now considering trying to relearn enough programming on my days off just so I can start fixing up the things I can't obsessively collect (like making recipes on the tablet pc work correctly so I can just slowly turn my PDA or whatever into a handheld encyclopedia of all human knowledge).

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Man, I apparently hang in the shelter way too long according to common consensus. I turtle in there for whole seasons sometimes, stockpiling supplies, setting up big kitchens and workshops, building a palatial bedroom in the cellar. Outside the shelter always ends up looking like a scrapyard with all the cars and parts. It's absolutely correct that commuting into the city can take a long time which can be a pain in the rear end, but I'm super paranoid about getting stuck in hostile territory or the middle of nowhere with a broken-down vehicle and dwindling supplies. I'll spend a few nights at a time at most on scavenging excursions, focusing on specific buildings and goals, before rushing back to my evac shelter, then the rest of the time cooking, reading, and improving my gear. I turn up urbanization to make sure I have lots of nearby buildings, and keep static spawns to slowly clear territory through attrition.

Nah I do basically all of this too. Its not necessary but getting caught in an avalanche of fungus monsters without the right tools is going to be a painful death.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Being able to store recipes in the pda would be a great feature.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Being able to store recipes in the pda would be a great feature.

You can find recipes off of USB sticks, but in the version I've been playing at least they don't do anything. You can set one to be displayed on the screen of your little gadget, but you can't actually read the recipe nor use it for crafting. E: Err, USB sticks, SD Cards, whatever. First thing I need to do is actually start playing again after about a month away...

The idea that's been tumbling around in my head is making a little mod to make handheld gadgets a little more interesting. Fix the recipe storage so you can start amassing a handheld encyclopedia reference, make USBs useful more often (more recipes, maybe occasionally add locations or revealing to your map), make USB sticks more common, allow in-game note-taking on your device, make an actual usable interface of some kind for browsing monster pictures on cameras and handheld devices for people who want to play Dinosaur Safari/Pokemon Snap, and maybe allow recipe crafting to merge the functionality of several devices for higher skill levels so you have the option of having a radio/PDA/camera/E-Ink Tablet/Electrohack all on one tool instead of having to bumble around in the inventory with a separate device for each function (which guarantees most people won't carry most of those tools). Maybe have terminals at cafes or libraries where you get a free book download or something. There's so many little things that could be done to make them more interesting.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i should qualify myself as the sort of idiot that plays tons of rimworld and continually restarts the first year or so just to find the most Strictly Optimal Plans or whatever. there's nothing WRONG with turtling per se, it is just ultimately self-defeating because the measure of your character's power basically boils down to skills, and turtling inhibits your skill growth. beyond that, there will come a time when you must leave your starting area to explore other content, and after you leave you are never coming back unless you are doing something wacky like setting up a survivor enclave with rescued NPCs. at that point, all the resources you've put into that hobo fort are essentially wasted.

of course, it's a fair question: is it really wasted if coolguy is a massive nerd who hates fun?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anticheese posted:

What about repurposing the vehicle creation screen to support guns, so frankensteining a gun out of a salvaged receiver, furniture, and a crappy pipe you turned into a smoothbore or whatever is a thing, and you get the opportunity to play with and grow attached to 'your' gun?

Something, something, shotgun of Theseus.

I toyed with this idea years ago, around the time of Goon Days Ahead, but given the codebase, I have no idea how feasible it is. It would also be kinda pointless given how useless guns are in general, unless it also massively boosted guns in the process.

I attempted to make a small modification to the codebase to allow you to colour-code items in your inventory and it ended up being rejected because their codebase which ostensibly supports VS (it doesn't) wouldn't compile. So I tried to offer a fix for it, even accepting all of their demands for how it should be done, and it was just left to rot on the vine and eventually closed.

I think I spent about an evening working on the colour-coded inventory thing (it worked), I spent nearly two weeks dicking about with their codebase trying to fix other people's code which broke Visual Studio which the codebase is supposed to support. Then someone commented to the effect that they don't really plan on supporting VS anymore, making my previous weeks worth of effort meaningless.

To say it soured me to the idea of trying to make any further contributions is an understatement and based on what people here have been describing about vehicles and my own experience of playing the experimentals from a few months back, I don't think the game can be saved at this point unless a very dedicated group fork the game and knuckle down to remove the nonsense from it. The vitamin system is ridiculous and unfun and based on what people are saying about vehicles, it looks like the only remaining end-game goal has been made redundant.

It's a shame, the amount of time I sank into this game over the years is silly and it has a lot of neat ideas. :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vehicles work again now, the change was rolled back.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The Lone Badger posted:

Vehicles work again now, the change was rolled back.

Seriously? That's a good step. CDDA was basically my mobile death base simulator. Hopefully someone can mod out or convince him to get rid of the vitamin stuff too.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I wouldn't mind it so much if eating a balanced diet gave you mild bonuses instead of punishing you for not making bone soup twice a week.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Seriously? That's a good step. CDDA was basically my mobile death base simulator. Hopefully someone can mod out or convince him to get rid of the vitamin stuff too.

The latest version I played had a world gen mod that removed it, so that's nice. I debug in a bucket of mutagen at the start of every character just to keep things interesting and be damned if I'm going to let some amateur nutritionist penalize me for not adhering to his recommended vitamin intake for a giant kick boxing amoeba.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Anticheese posted:

What about repurposing the vehicle creation screen to support guns, so frankensteining a gun out of a salvaged receiver, furniture, and a crappy pipe you turned into a smoothbore or whatever is a thing, and you get the opportunity to play with and grow attached to 'your' gun?

Something, something, shotgun of Theseus.

you could probably get someone to modify the code to allow weapon mods to create new mod slots, which is all it really needs

that way you could have a handbuilt receiver have a "barrel" slot and if you have a COTS barrel it'll add muzzle and underbarrel mod slots and but if it's a lovely pipe it won't

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the largest thing stopping me from diving in to the CDDA codebase to do some stuff (it's all just C++, a language i'm at least passable with) is that there's no good way to ask people questions. the community isn't very well organized and the documentation stopped being good about 30 minutes after it was penned if you're optimistic. there's a handful of things i would really like to get my hands on but the spin-up time is so much it ends up simply being a "with what time" question.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Coolguye posted:

the largest thing stopping me from diving in to the CDDA codebase to do some stuff (it's all just C++, a language i'm at least passable with) is that there's no good way to ask people questions. the community isn't very well organized and the documentation stopped being good about 30 minutes after it was penned if you're optimistic. there's a handful of things i would really like to get my hands on but the spin-up time is so much it ends up simply being a "with what time" question.

not really a matter of being well organized, more a problem of the community being insanely bad

i've tried to get a few things changed and the only way i've had any success is by figuring out the absolute smallest possible impact to the code that would let me do whatever i want in json

that way you don't get 10,000 lovely opinions about your reasons for the change

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Ew. Filthy clothing is now in the default mod order again, and now adds infections on hits through said clothes.

e: Nope. It can't be disabled. Joy.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 23, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
okay I'm starting to wonder if some folks are playing a different and more advanced version of cataclysm, or if I'm just incompetent :D

I tried using the console in the shelter and it was broken in several reset world starts. I've still yet to find these light bars, either. :(

edit: also is there some way to repeat a series of actions lke you can in dungeon crawl? I know I can use "-" to keep crafting the last thing I chose, but going "a" (select knife) (select use of knife) (select object to cut up) is annoying

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Ew. Filthy clothing is now in the default mod order again, and now adds infections on hits through said clothes.

e: Nope. It can't be disabled. Joy.

even before dirty clothing you were better off crafting your own crap approximately 99% of the time so i am not sure i understand the issue.

coyo7e posted:

okay I'm starting to wonder if some folks are playing a different and more advanced version of cataclysm, or if I'm just incompetent :D

I tried using the console in the shelter and it was broken in several reset world starts. I've still yet to find these light bars, either. :(

edit: also is there some way to repeat a series of actions lke you can in dungeon crawl? I know I can use "-" to keep crafting the last thing I chose, but going "a" (select knife) (select use of knife) (select object to cut up) is annoying

well firstly, what IS the version you're on? are you using the stable or the experimental? if the latter, which experimental?

how are you 'using' the console? i'll fully admit i haven't been in a shelter in a long while but typically the computer is just sort of there, flashing the local equivalent of 'please stand by'. you need do nothing with it, it just gives off light.

there is no way to easily repeat your last action, this is one thing that is insanely bad and dumb about the interface.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 24, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

coyo7e posted:

TIME IS A MYSTERIOUS BEAST

I don't remember the requirements but if you have a screwdriver + enough mechanics skill to remove a clock from a car (most thave it) that's a guaranteed way to get a wristwatch.

edit: also if you aren't sure oif the time, if you just enter a car, the abstract ttime readout will switch to a real clock (if there's a clock installed in the car)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much work it would take for someone to make a mod which removes all the zombies and populates the towns with NPCs who go about their lives normally untill the player decides to go on a rampage and avoid getting killed by cops.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Awesome, I have enough trouble staying alive outdoors that I never have had time to gently caress around in cars, but I'll definitely make a point to learn to build a clock.. I have been using the butler and firefighter professions just for the watches, a lot of the time.. ;)

Coolguye posted:

well firstly, what IS the version you're on? are you using the stable or the experimental? if the latter, which experimental?

how are you 'using' the console? i'll fully admit i haven't been in a shelter in a long while but typically the computer is just sort of there, flashing the local equivalent of 'please stand by'. you need do nothing with it, it just gives off light.

there is no way to easily repeat your last action, this is one thing that is insanely bad and dumb about the interface.
I am on "0.C", I got the latest stable tiles and non-tiles versions and also grabbed the latest unstable version, but most of the versions I DL'd seemed to be missing tons of stuff so I'm sticking with 0.C for now.

I'm using the console by standing next to it and hitting "e" but all it does is show some emergency broadcasting message stuff. The one in the bottom left is busted.

Also note the time - I'm unable to craft anything because it's too dark to see.. Did the lightning storm gently caress up the daylight?

edit: okay I'm really starting to get sick of the ludicrously-overpowered poo poo that spawned all over the place, loving grim howlers and zombified cougars and football-playing fat-moving tough zombies.. Without resorting to using the vanilla zombies mod, is there a way to turn down the power levels or maybe just the spawns at 0-day? I don't care if they begin to show up over time, but it's stupid as gently caress to get killed 9/10 times by some poo poo that is faster than my fleet-footed naked character, before I can even reach a house or anything.

double-edit: saw my first school (on the map), promptly died to a grim howler and three zombie dogs as soon as I opened the curtains to my shelter.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Buried in the options are toggles for spawn density and evolution rate. Zombies naturally evolve to specialized forms (and follow those trees up through further evolutions), given time. Lowering spawn density a little and turning the evolution timer WAYYYY the gently caress up will help curb the tendency to get swarmed by advanced zombies early. The evolution timer is seriously way too low in most releases, and thus evolutions happen way too quickly. In some experimentals, zombies have had multiple chances to evolve each week, and inevitably a few will become those Zombie Master fuckers from Rogue Survivor, max out the evolutions of every zombie around them, and spot you from your own max vision distance to lead them all into you.

The 'Stable' release is actually a couple of years old now and has several unresolved bugs and quirks of its own. The latest experimentals will tend to have lots of bugfixes and new content, but you may also have to deal with stupid new systems like half-baked nutritional requirements or nerfed ammunition reloading (in pursuit of realism and balance in a game where it's already easier and more powerful to have your hobo surgically implant a laser in their hand), and occasionally some idiot hellfucker will just break one of the systems COMPLETELY with a bad commit and you'll have to wait several revisions for things to get unfucked (as happened with vehicles recently).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oh wow, I downloaded a recent unstable version and now I can find the evolution rate in options - and there's sound effects! :aaa:

edit: jesus christ it's loving oblique to even get past the mods screen now.. I hit every key on my keyboard and looked at the help menu and still never figured out that the < and > are the keys to shift between major tabs at character/world generation, took like 30 minutes of blindly poking keys before I started alt and ctrl and shift keys... :psyduck:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 26, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I checked out what it'd be like to play in a megacity and welp:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Dynamic spawns seem to primarily exist in the event that you want to play a challenge game where you can never sit in one place for more than a day. I imagine with MEGACITY-1 going on, that's a whole loving lot of zombies.

I honestly feel like it wouldn't be so bad if you could thin out the dynamic herds a bit to buy yourself a couple of days of breathing room before they replenished, unless that's already been changed?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Dynamic spawns seem to primarily exist in the event that you want to play a challenge game where you can never sit in one place for more than a day. I imagine with MEGACITY-1 going on, that's a whole loving lot of zombies.

I honestly feel like it wouldn't be so bad if you could thin out the dynamic herds a bit to buy yourself a couple of days of breathing room before they replenished, unless that's already been changed?

I think its still based on noise.

I agree with you though, its nice to not have to constantly worry about zombie after you work to clear out an area but having to never worry is boring. Giving you a season or two to either loot and run or actually build up defenses before repopulation would be great. Not being able to break a window in an otherwise empty block is not.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

coyo7e posted:

Stand on top of a pile of things you want to disassemble and shift + b to butcher them like you would zombies or animals, it's the easiest way to get through a mass of materials and you don't have to carry anything but the knife. It works on more than just clothes to rags, for example you can turn rags to threads this way and it works for disassembling the robots that are too big to carry.

The consoles in the starting shelter are only really there for fluff text, there's always one broken and one functional. They're not useful for much but the one that isn't broken will solve your light/crafting problem, it is a light source itself and counts as bright light in the tiles immediately adjacent to it. What I suggest doing is piling up all the materials and books you want to use in the immediate area around the working console, then stand in the tile directly below it and use the craft/read commands. Light conditions only count on the tile the PC is standing on but you can use items a few tiles away without them being in your inventory.

If you're getting killed stepping out the shelter use [e] to examine the curtains first, you can peek outside the window without opening the curtain and exposing yourself. In general I close every set of curtains I come across, prevents anything from spotting me when I want to be left in peace looting houses.

Starting out as a new player is tough but it's also probably the most rewarding part of playing the game, eventually survival will become a bit too easy. There's two things I can suggest you do that will pretty much ensure you will always survive your first day but you will find it gets repetitive and boring to do this every time:

1) Arm yourself, everything you need can be found in and around the shelter. Grab a rock from outside, smash one of the lockers to pieces to get a pipe. Use the crafting menu and you'll see the makeshift crowbar is craftable now because you have a pipe and a hammering tool of at least quality 1 (the rock). Make it and you now have what is basically the best weapon/tool combo for a naked character, it's reasonably powerful in combat and you can [a] apply it to locked doors and windows to force them open.

If you have a knife as part of your starting gear you can go even further; you can smash the benches for 2x4 to make a cudgel which is an amazing starting weapon, with a point or two in survival you can make a wooden needle and turn the curtains into rags/thread which lets you get into tailoring. Tailoring is amazing in this game.

2) Wait until night time, just hold down pass turn until the sun sets but you could also gain your first point in melee by punching walls although it's hardly worth it. At night you won't be able to see anything more than one tile away without a trait, mutation or implants, however everything trying to kill you is in the same boat. Sneak into town and if you bump into something that wants you dead run away in a direction you know to be safe, most zombies will be too slow to keep up with you and lose the trail quite quickly. Just don't try to use a flashlight or something, that just means the zombies can see you but you can't see them most of the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I never thought to try wielding a pocket knife to smash poo poo before I found my rock, good tips thanks!

I seem to be way "luckier" with a newer version (also I pushed item up to 1.05 spawn, and evolution to 50.00, and kicked spawn down to .8 iirc).. However is there a good way to gauge what size the screen will be when I adjust the X and Y res variables? I had to find and delete my options.json or whatever file because I notched the rez up too high and the top of the window was off-screen and I couldn't figure out any Windows key combos to move or resize the window.

With the spawn values adjusted it does feel a lot more playable than grim-howler-spam - when I see one scary zombie now I feel like I might have a chance at taking it down (I usually have 0-1 in combat skills to begin). Very big thanks for the way you put it "rack this one down a notch or two - and the other one WAY THE gently caress UP" :3:

Way, way luckier though - I found a couple houses near my shelter, the second or third one felt like a pretty good spot and I closed all the curtains and went downstairs to find... An Rm-13 (iirc) combat armor? I tried to put it on but I'm a dipshit and wielded it accidentally, and then got attacked by like 30-36 giant black widow spiders in the middle of a giant basement (the previous two basements were man-caves so I got sloppy LOL) so I backed out to the doorway and wore it mid-combat in desperation - and I promptly went from 0 melee 0 dodge etc, to 2 or 3 in most of my basic weapon skills - before I'd even gotten around to making my first needle and thread!

also I found a loving railgun because why the gently caress not?

edit: oh drat, I thought this poo poo was like Fallout 1/2 combat armor but naw it's a powered armor suit, with a UI that includes a clock - I'm gonna cry when this guy dies :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 26, 2017

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The hilarious thing with those spider lairs is in one build apparently they have a paralyzingly bite that always works even if the bite did zero damage so they basically stunlock me to starvation because eventually my katana breaks from parrying their hits but they still can't damage me or my armor so I'm stuck there forever getting hit for no damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

edit: oh drat, I thought this poo poo was like Fallout 1/2 combat armor but naw it's a powered armor suit, with a UI that includes a clock - I'm gonna cry when this guy dies :laugh:

You need plutonium to keep it powered though.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Does anyone know what those weird houses are that are filled with giant wasps and, oddly enough, military stuff? Usually have a hosed-up architecture, too, with some walls being regular, others stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sounds like a Dead Rising reference, imho

The Lone Badger posted:

You need plutonium to keep it powered though.
it's the best armor I've ever even seen on-screen let alone survived to wear, and it's a soft-suit so I don't have to turn it on :3: