Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you sure? I recall in this thread and the sharing thread there were people not using VPNs or DNS things being banned. We figured that the only reason would be account sharing.

When they ban people for using VPNs they ban the entire account, so you saw a bunch of people that didn't do anything themselves get their account banned. Just make sure none of the people you're sharing with do dumb things to get around the even dumber blackout rules and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

:justpost:

Or wait until the WBC/more Spring Training battles are decided

Part of me says "Wait until the rosters look more finalized" but part of me absolutely wants to a Yankees one that has 8 or 9 potential starting pitchers on it.

saintonan posted:

When they ban people for using VPNs they ban the entire account, so you saw a bunch of people that didn't do anything themselves get their account banned. Just make sure none of the people you're sharing with do dumb things to get around the even dumber blackout rules and you'll be fine.

I wonder how they catch the VPN users though, because I know somebody who uses a VPN to watch pretty much every home game for their team and nothing's happened to them.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 20, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I sent Dex a nice tweet. Hope he sees it in the mountains of trash that's the St Louis fan base.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

saintonan posted:

FWIW I was using unblock-us for PC and Apple TV along with some jailbroken location spoofed iOS devices last year and never ran into a problem. I'd really love to know what the banned people had in common.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Here is basically a seven-minute compilation of pitchers throwing their gloves to first base.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

saintonan posted:

For those of you trying the share thing this year, here's last years thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Here is where we start discussing bans. At first we thought it was GPS spoofing, but then people who were just using DNS things got banned, then we figured it had to be for account sharing, then someone on Reddit got nailed for using Unblock. After re-reading the thread, I honestly have no idea what to think.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

better lock Arte Moreno in a far away place, like say, Pluto.

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/833485574757548033

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

For those of you trying the share thing this year, here's last years thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Here is where we start discussing bans. At first we thought it was GPS spoofing, but then people who were just using DNS things got banned, then we figured it had to be for account sharing, then someone on Reddit got nailed for using Unblock. After re-reading the thread, I honestly have no idea what to think.

Don't use lovely VPNs. That's the long and the short of it.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Well, if anyone still has an open slot PM me.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Ah yes, get that man with the 107 OPS+ a ten year deal stat!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NiceGuy posted:

Ah yes, get that man with the 107 OPS+ a ten year deal stat!

You don't understand, he's an excellent defensive first baseman.

I'm actually curious to see what he ends up getting, I'm sure he values himself a lot higher than the market will but I don't know just how much more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
His current average of 1.6 WAR/year puts his market value at about $12.5M AAV. It's possible that some teams would take him at 10/$125 but I guarantee he'd never sign for that.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tsuyoshi Shinjo was on TV last night over here last night. In case you haven't kept up with Shinjo, he lives in Bali now and rides dirt bikes for a ... living? Anyways, it's the main thing he does now.

Highlights:

- He kept his negotiations with the Mets after the 2000 season secret from everyone: the press, friends, family. He held a press conference where he was expected to choose between the Hanshin Tigers, Yokohama Baystars, and Yakult Swallows and dropped the bomb he was going to sign with New York. He suggested that he didn't tell his wife beforehand.
- He didn't have money, so he had a "friend of a friend of a friend" who said they could speak English go with him to New York to finalize the contract. He didn't actually speak English, or at least not enough to do contract negotiations. Shinjo signed the contract blind.
- Shinjo went from making ~$700k to $200k (or whatever league minimum was in 2001). This posed a problem because Japan collects some income-linked taxes the following year. He ended up with a ~$350k tax bill and no way to pay it.
- He auctioned off his Ferrari to pay off the tax bill. Top bid was ~$2.5MM. He pulled the car from auction because "he felt bad" about taking so much money for a car he bought for a few hundred thousand dollars (equivalent).
- He ended up being able to pay off the tax bill and more via endorsement deals. The endorsements dwarfed his pay from baseball and he ended up feeling like doing commercials was his main job and baseball was just a side gig
- He had an older friend, sort of a father-figure, managing his finances. This ended, predictably, badly. ~$15MM became ~$200k

All in all, he comes off as a lovable meat-head. Calling him a big kid who will never grow up seems apt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

I'm actually curious to see what he ends up getting, I'm sure he values himself a lot higher than the market will but I don't know just how much more.

Hosmer has the advantage of going into a free agent market that, while not legendarily awful like this year's, is still pretty rough, with him and Moustakas headlining a position player class that is pretty much full of junk. The money is going to be aimed at Arrieta and Darvish.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

You don't understand, he's an excellent defensive first baseman.

Is this a thing people believe, or is it just something the Royals are pushing? Because he's bad according to literally every defensive metric there is. He's also a bad baserunner, which is only going to get worse with time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Is this a thing people believe, or is it just something the Royals are pushing? Because he's bad according to literally every defensive metric there is. He's also a bad baserunner, which is only going to get worse with time.

He's got thee gold gloves so someone once believed it. The Royals definitely push it constantly though, like way past the point of believability.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Homer's been dramatically overvaluing himself for like 3 years now. He is a Cool Guy and I like having him on the team but I just have no idea where this idea comes from that he's a 9 figure kind of player.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Julio Cruz posted:

His current average of 1.6 WAR/year puts his market value at about $12.5M AAV. It's possible that some teams would take him at 10/$125 but I guarantee he'd never sign for that.

The Frank Wren Braves didn't do much right but (barring injury, oh god) that Freddie Freeman contract is a miracle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I realized I never looked at this year's schedule and who the Angels play (like vs NL). The Angels have four Mike Trout bobblehead giveaways this year. 3 different regular ones, and a double headed MVP. And.... Nolan Ryan.

Sounds like the Angels are due to spend a ton of money on a lovely player next off season. Hosmer for 100M+ sounds about right.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They've already got one albatross 1B contract, they don't need another one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Good Dog posted:

I realized I never looked at this year's schedule and who the Angels play (like vs NL). The Angels have four Mike Trout bobblehead giveaways this year. 3 different regular ones, and a double headed MVP. And.... Nolan Ryan

They were going to make Pujols ones but the legs kept breaking off before they could even get them to the stadium.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

I realized I never looked at this year's schedule and who the Angels play (like vs NL). The Angels have four Mike Trout bobblehead giveaways this year. 3 different regular ones, and a double headed MVP. And.... Nolan Ryan.

Sounds like the Angels are due to spend a ton of money on a lovely player next off season. Hosmer for 100M+ sounds about right.
It's pretty stupid they aren't doing a Pujols bobblehead to commemorate his 600th dinger, seeing as he's only 9 away. Maybe they'll put one together after it happens.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how easy is it to find streams on reddit or elsewhere?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reddit is piss easy to find good streams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It can be, depending on the game. I've had some terrible luck finding stuff like Rockets vs Sixers

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He's got thee gold gloves so someone once believed it. The Royals definitely push it constantly though, like way past the point of believability.

I have watched many games with the Royals in them. Hosmer is very good at scooping bad throws in a flashy manner. His other skills may or may not exist.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Intruder posted:

It can be, depending on the game. I've had some terrible luck finding stuff like Rockets vs Sixers

What is that, California Penal League? I'm not surprised the streams are spotty

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

elentar posted:

The Frank Wren Braves didn't do much right but (barring injury, oh god) that Freddie Freeman contract is a miracle.

Didn't the Braves have big offers to both Freeman and Heyward and Freddie was the only one who accepted, or am I remembering that wrong?

Also, I remember when the Braves did the same thing with McCann and Francoeur and only McCann accepted. Or am I also remembering that wrong?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Didn't the Braves have big offers to both Freeman and Heyward and Freddie was the only one who accepted, or am I remembering that wrong?

Also, I remember when the Braves did the same thing with McCann and Francoeur and only McCann accepted. Or am I also remembering that wrong?

Heyward said they never really made an effort to negotiate with him for a long term deal. They just did that 2 year deal with him and I think they came in low and didn't budge.

I was kind of down on the Freeman extension because they were buying out future free agent years at nearly market prices for a first baseman with a sub-.900 OPS for his career (in his defense, WRC+ likes him as roughly a top 5 1B every season). I can't say it's bad at all at this point and it seems pretty smart since there's no telling what he'd get as a first time free agent in this lovely market. He'd almost certainly beat EE's deal for AAV and length.

Julio Cruz posted:

It's something just about everybody inside baseball seems to believe for some reason. I think you can just about give Dave Cameron a heart attack by bringing that idea up, though. He railed against it in a FG post a while back.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Timby posted:

What's a good one? Used Unblock us two years ago and Private Internet Access last year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven't seen any reports on this but after seeing Freeman this weekend in person it looks like he lost a significant amount of weight

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so if streams will be readily available, what's the downside other than quality? annoying ads, yea, but adblocker does well. mlb was always like 90s behind too which pissed me off. i'm also not sure if i can go through another season of listening to the SAME ROTATION OF COMMERCIALS THAT APPEAR 18 TIMES PER GAME, 162 GAMES PER YEAR AAAAGGGGHHBBHBBHGVC

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

so if streams will be readily available, what's the downside other than quality? annoying ads, yea, but adblocker does well. mlb was always like 90s behind too which pissed me off. i'm also not sure if i can go through another season of listening to the SAME ROTATION OF COMMERCIALS THAT APPEAR 18 TIMES PER GAME, 162 GAMES PER YEAR AAAAGGGGHHBBHBBHGVC

You're trusting your ad blocker to hold back the tide of malicious poo poo that any streaming site is likely firing at you out of a digital howitzer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Abel Wingnut posted:

i'm also not sure if i can go through another season of listening to the SAME ROTATION OF COMMERCIALS THAT APPEAR 18 TIMES PER GAME, 162 GAMES PER YEAR AAAAGGGGHHBBHBBHGVC

At least last season, the AppleTV version of the app didn't have any commercials between innings.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
One of the Brewers blogs has been conjecturing of late that the Brewers may just eat Garza's contract and not put him on the 25 man roster. He's not even their 7th best starting pitcher anymore, he's made clear that he will refuse a bullpen assignment, and he can't keep his loving mouth shut. He thinks they would be smart to cut their losses with him because all he does is hog a spot a promising young pitcher could use to develop.

It's a pretty good dream scenario, but I don't really trust Mark Attanasio not to be a victim of the sunk costs fallacy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I for one am all for Matt Garza being fired from a cannon into the sun, even if his absence makes the Brewers better by default.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How can he refuse a bullpen assignment? Does his contract specifically stipulate a starting role?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Free streams are great until they freeze at a key moment and it takes you 5 minutes to load another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/1500ESPNJudd/status/834071125873291264

yesssss

• Locked thread