Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking more about something like as you get higher level materials that unlock better furnaces/steel, you also unlock better boilers that eat vastly smaller amounts of fuel per energy produced. Call them superheating boilers or whatever.

There's no point in putting silly micromanagement into solar power imo, it works like it's supposed to right now. I'm not asking for a solar nerf either, you already need huge fields of it for megafactories, but rather upgrades to the basic steam, so it doesn't feel like I'm cutting against the grain even harder than I actually am for using it. I guess I'll just make a mod for it if nothing like that happens, it shouldn't be too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Solars are fine, it's accumulators that's the problem.

Now I'm wondering what it would be like if instead of accumulators there were electric boilers so you'd have to store solar energy in the form of boiled water in tanks, then feed that back into the steam engines. Would require some fancy circuitry and pumps to not make stupid loops (or perpetual motion machines).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hell, solar by steam would be a lot cooler and better. Make the only energy producer the standard steam generator (or perhaps with upgraded versions) but make it so that solar panels are heating panels not the kind that directly convert sunlight to electricity. Now instead of producing free *power* you're just producing free *steam*. Now you have to design your solar plants around steam instead of making gigantic parking lots of glass panels. Ideally though the steam generator would get some sort of upgrade.

And besides, the nuclear setup seems to be just another form of tea-kettle anyways. Why not make your entire base run on steam?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Truga posted:

I'm thinking more about something like as you get higher level materials that unlock better furnaces/steel, you also unlock better boilers that eat vastly smaller amounts of fuel per energy produced. Call them superheating boilers or whatever.

There's no point in putting silly micromanagement into solar power imo, it works like it's supposed to right now. I'm not asking for a solar nerf either, you already need huge fields of it for megafactories, but rather upgrades to the basic steam, so it doesn't feel like I'm cutting against the grain even harder than I actually am for using it. I guess I'll just make a mod for it if nothing like that happens, it shouldn't be too hard.

Exactly. In my megafactory it is SUCH a pain in the rear end to add power, i literally have every bit of land under human control dedicated to just holding solar panels, since it gives such little power per unit area. If nuclear allows me the same power output but uses a fraction of that land, it's gonna be legitimately useful.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Some pollution facts I discovered after a good bit of wiki and spreadsheeting:

- Beacons produce no pollution despite using energy, so if their energy source is entirely "free" (solar), then they can function as permanent upgrades.
- With enough accumulators, it takes ~11.5 solars to provide enough power for a beacon continuously.

- Pollution comes from assembly machines and other objects at a set rate per second running, multiplied by energy used. This means that speed on its own has an implied pollution reduction. Speed modules are counterbalanced by an energy penalty, usually making them net pollution increasing.
- If you combine speed modules with efficiency modules (which you can also do using "free" beacons), you can get both a maximally efficient assembler and a speed boost. Doing so lets you get considerably less pollution per unit.
- If you're not using beacons, 3 Efficiency 3 modules + 1 Speed 3 Module gets you 65% of the pollution of just using 2 efficiency 2 modules (both machines are at the efficiency cap).
- If you are using a single line of beacons, you can cut pollution again by 65%. In this setup 4 beacons touch each assembler, each assembler has 2 Efficiency 2 + 2 Speed 3, and the 4 beacons have 7 Efficiency 3 + 1 Speed 3.

- Upgraded assembly machines are both faster and less polluting per second. This makes them better in every way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or you use prod-3's abs speed beacons and pave the world because you're turning it into a toxic hellscape.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

M_Gargantua posted:

Or you use prod-3's abs speed beacons and pave the world because you're turning it into a toxic hellscape.
Somewhat surprisingly, the speed beacons actually net reduce the pollution when you combine them with that many productivity modules. The most polluting thing in the game is 4 productivity modules and no speed modules, at 750% more pollution per unit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Making solar panels steam generators instead of electricity generators would be nice. Change solar panels to reflectors and have a solar heating tower that outputs hot water / steam based on how many reflectors are around it.

You can already mod in upgraded steam generators from GotLag's nuclear mod. Even if you don't use the reactors you have the Steam Turbine that can be fed by (a lot of) boilers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if it'd be too bloated, but I'd like both options. Solar->Power can be less efficient or require more materials than Solar->Steam->Engine->Power.

Sometimes you need an outpost power supply without a whole water setup, so old solar shouldn't go away.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Started a new game and wound up in a desert area with a small patch of coal. This is the first time I actually used the wood bio (agriculture) mod since I installed it 5 games ago. Wound up being a fun lil puzzle to do before I get to set up trains and oil.

Feels validating that I kept that poo poo in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to set up a wood to charcoal to solid fuel production line to make my factory more energy efficient (and also because I do t have much coal around). How viable is this idea?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You just have to set up a poo poo ton of farms to be a true replacement. I just got done setting up a 4 wood farm buildings for testing and it is only like 5% of my coal production compared to 12 coal miners.

Looking at the tech tree, it looks like it provides decent fuel production, but that gets far more complicated.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really want to binge on Factorio but I've been holding off waiting for this darn patch. I've decided that my next game, I'll incorporate solar panels and accu's into my sprawling rail network, or at least the main rail network closer to my base.

This leads on to the question: I never know how the gently caress to calculate how many accu's I need to ensure I can power my factory. Cause accu's store joules and I dunno how to convert that to useful information regarding how many watts my factory pulls. I'm a god drat engineer and I don't know this, it's embarrassing.

So is there a way I could look at my power production, see how much watts my factory needs, then do a calculation to find out how many joules of storage I should aim for to ensure I can power it?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Well a joule is a Watt-second, right? So it's 3.6 megajoules to a kilowatt hour, or 3.6 gigajoules to a megawatt-hour

Ed: ah, screw it. Per Google, you need 25 fully charged accumulators per MW of demand to last the night. Or 21 accumulators for each 25 solar panels

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ZekeNY posted:

Well a joule is a Watt-second, right? So it's 3.6 megajoules to a kilowatt hour, or 3.6 gigajoules to a megawatt-hour

Ed: ah, screw it. Per Google, you need 25 fully charged accumulators per MW of demand to last the night. Or 21 accumulators for each 25 solar panels

Thanks, I wanna understand the math behind it, but it goes over my head and I don't know why I can't grasp it.

I'll just stick to the 25 accu's per MW.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Babby's first factory reporting in: using bus method(because I am a creature of chaos and will absolutely create a mess if I dont use this) I just got green science done. For the future robot apocalypse I decided to go make some factories to stock up on.. well, the goal is to have everything that isn't an intermediate product in a box somewhere. In the mean time I am researching everything because why not and I... think I am done? I'm researching so much faster than I could ever possibly build it's crazy.

And then oil :captainpop: jesus. I mean I read up on it and I get it, it's not even difficult once you get the complete base picture of oil + cracking in your head but I just don't agree on how it is introduced I guess. Up until this point everything gets thrown at you in pieces. You build up gradually. In order to properly do oil, though, you need to set up a large part of it in advance and already keep in mind you need to crack down the line and pretty much instantly research advanced oil, unless you enjoy getting stuck because one of your oils quietly backs up.

Besides that, it is pretty neat and I like what it adds to the game. Now I just need to do my best to not turn it into a total mess of pipes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a bit finicky because nighttime doesn't instantly switch on and off, there's a gradual ramp in solar efficiency during dusk. So if you have an excess of solar panels you actually need (slightly) fewer accumulators to keep everything on. Dusk is 83.3... seconds at each end of nighttime, and night itself lasts 41.6... seconds. So you need 41.6... MJ to supply 1 MW for the entire night, and 83.3... MJ to supply 1 MW during dusk periods (2 periods, at an average 50% duty cycle). If you have zero excess solar capacity, this means you need 125 MJ per MW, or 25 accumulators.

In reality, you are going to have excess solar capacity. (In fact, if you didn't, your accumulators would end up not recharging during the day). So you can actually get away with slightly fewer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"fewer" is a word that should never be said about anything in this game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Renegret posted:

Well, when I say "fewer", I really mean "more of absolutely everything else". It's all relative.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jabor posted:

Well, when I say "fewer", I really mean "more of absolutely everything else". It's all relative.

hell yeah now you're speaking my language

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If I remember right, 24 solar panels and 20 accumulators will give you 24-hour coverage of 1 MW of electricity.

e: I should try reading more than the last two posts.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 21, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

It's a bit finicky because nighttime doesn't instantly switch on and off, there's a gradual ramp in solar efficiency during dusk. So if you have an excess of solar panels you actually need (slightly) fewer accumulators to keep everything on. Dusk is 83.3... seconds at each end of nighttime, and night itself lasts 41.6... seconds. So you need 41.6... MJ to supply 1 MW for the entire night, and 83.3... MJ to supply 1 MW during dusk periods (2 periods, at an average 50% duty cycle). If you have zero excess solar capacity, this means you need 125 MJ per MW, or 25 accumulators.

In reality, you are going to have excess solar capacity. (In fact, if you didn't, your accumulators would end up not recharging during the day). So you can actually get away with slightly fewer.
I'm not sure I follow after the last time of slogging through the math. That 25 solar per 21 accumulator number takes into account the solar ramp. It works out to one accumulator per 50kW needed, or only 20 for a 1MW basis.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I build giant farms of solar panels, then I build giant farms of accumulators next to them with no regard of ratios other than "the blocks line up nicely and look pretty"

Mostly because I like the sound hundreds of accumulators make when you're standing next to them while they're on.

bzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzzt

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Renegret posted:

I build giant farms of solar panels, then I build giant farms of accumulators next to them with no regard of ratios other than "the blocks line up nicely and look pretty"

Mostly because I like the sound hundreds of accumulators make when you're standing next to them while they're on.

bzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzztbzzzzzzzzt

Perfectly valid. Factorio is the best.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Renegret posted:

Fewer patches of unpaved land.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Collateral Damage posted:

Making solar panels steam generators instead of electricity generators would be nice. Change solar panels to reflectors and have a solar heating tower that outputs hot water / steam based on how many reflectors are around it.

You can already mod in upgraded steam generators from GotLag's nuclear mod. Even if you don't use the reactors you have the Steam Turbine that can be fed by (a lot of) boilers.

So, instead of using accumulators, we can just store the steam in tanks overnight?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

So, instead of using accumulators, we can just store the steam in tanks overnight?

That's an idea that the community has been kicking around for a while: https://wiki.factorio.com/Power_production#Storing_hot_water_in_tanks
A single tank full of 100° hot water stores a lot of power in a small space.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Solumin posted:

That's an idea that the community has been kicking around for a while: https://wiki.factorio.com/Power_production#Storing_hot_water_in_tanks
A single tank full of 100° hot water stores a lot of power in a small space.

Wait, you can actually store hot liquids in tanks?

drat, now I really want a solar boiler mod.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bit late on the auto-burner chat but my preferred method these days is to hook the accumulator signal up to the coal belts. You can do a neat stepped-activation thing by activating the belts into each row of boilers at different power thresholds* (one each at 80%, 60%, 40%, 20% is what I usually do), and since they move a bunch of coal in, the boilers keep running for a while after the power gets back above the threshold, so it goes into recharging the accumulators a little bit.

*I'm sure you could do something fancy with combinators instead of settting each belt individually but it works well enough for me and I rarely put down more than 4 sets of 28-21-2 boilers so I only have four belts to set up.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I hope that if you split a hive mind's territory, the separated parts go independent.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Oxygen Not Included is somewhat similar to Factorio except it's based more on chemistry and physics instead of engineering. It's done by the guys who did Don't Starve. It's in early access except you can't buy it directly from Steam for some reason. Use the link mentioned in this post to buy it. There are a number of Let's Play's on YouTube, I'm following the Skye Storm one, but Blitz just started playing it (he bought it with his own money) as well.

I'm playing it and screwing it up majorly, just like when I first started in Factorio :)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lorini posted:

It's in early access except you can't buy it directly from Steam for some reason.
You actually can. Even the page you linked to has link to it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lorini posted:

Oxygen Not Included is somewhat similar to Factorio except it's based more on chemistry and physics instead of engineering. It's done by the guys who did Don't Starve. It's in early access except you can't buy it directly from Steam for some reason. Use the link mentioned in this post to buy it. There are a number of Let's Play's on YouTube, I'm following the Skye Storm one, but Blitz just started playing it (he bought it with his own money) as well.

I'm playing it and screwing it up majorly, just like when I first started in Factorio :)

I'm on the fence after watching a couple of vids, but they didn't get very far into it so was difficult to say how much depth/complexity it had. I'll probably end up getting it at some point though. The ant-farm view and oxygen/power management aspects of it remind me a bit of Nom Nom Galaxy.

SinineSiil posted:

I think they meant that you can't get it from it's page on the Steam store. It just shows as "not available". You can only get it off Steam with that direct add-to-basket link.

For anyone who has played or watched further than an hour or so... do you get more colonists at some point or is it just the ones you start with?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SinineSiil posted:

The link opens in a browser and adds it to steam cart yes. But if you search the store via the steam client, the page you get doesn't have a purchase button. For me that's a hassle since I don't leave my browser logged into steam, logging in means I need my phone (because of the 2 factor auth app) and of course the phone battery is flat right now. I'm not sure I like the art style but I might give it a shot later if I remember once the phone charges.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ratzap posted:

The link opens in a browser and adds it to steam cart yes. But if you search the store via the steam client, the page you get doesn't have a purchase button. For me that's a hassle since I don't leave my browser logged into steam, logging in means I need my phone (because of the 2 factor auth app) and of course the phone battery is flat right now. I'm not sure I like the art style but I might give it a shot later if I remember once the phone charges.

Oh, they got two different apps for some reason.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

For anyone who has played or watched further than an hour or so... do you get more colonists at some point or is it just the ones you start with?

Yes, about 24:40 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBCWP66siU&t=1479s

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes it's like RimWorld, you get new people from time to time. You can choose one from a set of three offered when they show up. I'm not sure what makes them come, it could be a set amount of time. Naturally if you are already short on oxygen/food you don't want more people. Also they aren't kidding about putting in a toilet first thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just an FYI, it is very early alpha. There's not much to do. There's only about 15 items you can build and it's relatively simple to set up a self-sufficient colony.

The game has heaps of promise, just right now it's in it's babby stages. Klei is an awesome developer though so I know it'll turn into a real gem.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

zedprime posted:

As a problem its kind of painted into a corner. Solar panels are free energy as long as there is no logistic or defensive need baked into. Its just hard to argue with those economics because belting things around becomes a limiting factor in a super factory.

They could just be bad, which is hardly a solution since it removes the choice but might be where nuclear is heading where its slightly logistic based but far less frustrating to place. A logistic need would be interesting but weird. Maybe it needs squeegeed by logistics bots? Making panels and accumulators bite on sight for biters is probably equal parts balancing and frustrating given the general temperature on how good biters actually are as a concept.

pollution is a bigger problem imo. If you go with coal-only beyond just building a single rocket, biters get completely out of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

little munchkin posted:

pollution is a bigger problem imo. If you go with coal-only beyond just building a single rocket, biters get completely out of control
By way of comparison, if you're using Assembly Machine 3s with no efficiency modules, more than 2/3 of the pollution comes from the boilers powering them. For mining drills, about 13% of the pollution comes from the boilers powering them.

Thus, absent efficiency modules, a "green" factory will produce 1/3 the pollution of a coal-powered one for its assemblers and 87% for its mining drills. But efficiency modules can get you down to 20% for both.

In other words, you can cut pollution dramatically more by using efficiency modules than by switching off coal to solar.