Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tai Chi has legitimate therepeutic functions - controlled, sustained, deliberate movements do wonders to counteract many effects that aging has on bones, joints, and muscles. Apparently it also finds success in treating treating fibromyalgia, which is apparently a condition that doesn't exist but which people nonetheless insist on suffering from.

It's just simply not "martial," and any claims of magic are of course lies. Calling it a bad fighting style is like calling a 2014 Ford Focus an overpriced beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Tai Chi is actually very strong.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i prefer decaf tai chi

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tai Chi is like yoga for old chinese folks but cheaper and with less creepy white people.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

hi liter posted:

Tai Chi is like yoga for old chinese folks but cheaper and with less creepy white people.

a dozen 70 year old Chinese grannies and one white guy with filthy, filthy dreads

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think if I was old or recovering from injuries or something tai chi would actually be pretty cool. It's basically a more-vertical yoga right

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't think you're stretching as much in taichi as you do in yoga, but I've never done yoga.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been doing yoga recently and have been enjoying it. Getting a sweat on without getting punched in the face

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Rogan and Eddie Bravo love yoga...Take that as you wish

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I figure this'll be a good place to ask, I injured my ankle on Sunday at training it's sprained, anyone have any good advice on getting active with a sprained ankle? My job is quite active and involves ladder climbing etc so I'm off work today but I'm hoping to get back to it asap.

Are supports worthwhile? Or tape etc

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wish joe rogan would stop talking about BJJ on his podcast because now gyms are filling up with the kind of people that think joe rogan is profound

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 21, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Yeah but when he has athlete guests are the only episodes that are bearable to listen to.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The weird / interesting thing about tai chi is that a lot of fighting/body mechanics are in there, just not applied to any direct mechanism.

So yeah it's like you retire from fighting but still want to do something kinda similar. Or maybe off day training like pilates and dancing.

Aikido is like that too but often insists it's all going to work. Versus admitting it's all esoteric deconstructed judo. Which is quite cool if you take it for what it is but most people don't.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

The weird / interesting thing about tai chi is that a lot of fighting/body mechanics are in there, just not applied to any direct mechanism.

So yeah it's like you retire from fighting but still want to do something kinda similar. Or maybe off day training like pilates and dancing.

Aikido is like that too but often insists it's all going to work. Versus admitting it's all esoteric deconstructed judo. Which is quite cool if you take it for what it is but most people don't.

I think there's some guys out there working on reconstructing a more martial 19th century form of Taichi, but they're not trying to sell it as effective for teh streetz.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

P-Mack posted:

I think there's some guys out there working on reconstructing a more martial 19th century form of Taichi, but they're not trying to sell it as effective for teh streetz.

There's a few of them on bullshido in the China section if you want to hear about it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I heard a theory that Yoga is deconstructed martial arts in the same vein of tai-chi and the proof was how some of the Silat take downs look similar to some Yoga forms.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People get really loving mad when you ask them if aikido is like tai chi. MMA is fun.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Pryor on Fire posted:

People get really loving mad when you ask them if aikido is like tai chi.

Lol thats good

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wish joe rogan would stop talking about BJJ on his podcast because now gyms are filling up with the kind of people that think joe rogan is profound

Judging how sore (my whole body) I got after Saturdays mat time, I think this sport very quickly weeds the people out that aren't committed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spiralbrain posted:

Judging how sore (my whole body) I got after Saturdays mat time, I think this sport very quickly weeds the people out that aren't committed.

a sore body and that a 130 pound lawyer with bad posture can legitimately hold someone down and tell them to stop hitting yourself.

Hard to face some cold realities.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

As someone who's done aikido for going on 20 years, worked security, and trained with a couple of special forces dudes, the amount of time is key. One year of aikido isn't going to get you fighting ready like a year of BJJ or MMA, but five years + is when it starts being effective. I was in the old thread and people told me it was bullshit and go train at a real gym and see how it worked out. So I did, and cross trained for a bit because people were telling me it wouldn't work. I handled myself just fine, but in the end I prefer aikido. I may go to a different gym at some point, because I do agree that cross training helps everyone. The gym just wasn't my favorite I suppose.

This by no means is meant to say that I haven't gotten my rear end kicked many, many times in both aikido and in the gym I trained at for a couple of months. But when it's come to street fights (aka real world applications) Or when I needed to prove a point about it being effective, I've been fine. In other words, as a self defense, aikido has been effective long term. What I don't consider is that there has been a ton of cross training along the way. Plenty of teachers in aikido I've had striking backgrounds (Kung fu, Karate) and taught proper striking technique as well. I have seen plenty of (bullshit) aikido along the way, but characterizing the whole art as bullshit is a bit much.

One of my favorite stories an aikido instructor told me. Guy is getting into an argument with another guy at the bar, and it's getting heated. Guy turns to the other guy and says "do you know I'm a black belt in..." and doesn't finish the sentence because the other guy hits him in the face and knocked him out.
I don't brag about (being a black belt) or even that I do a martial art in the real world. But lord, do I know a lot of BJJ people who do. Most of whom don't know about my background. In a (real world) scenario, (it's those type of guys) that go down fast.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 21, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
They don't teach timing in aikido?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Novum posted:

They don't teach timing in aikido?

They do. My point being that a lot of the techniques are technically hard to apply.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you practice a striking combat sport and then do taichi, a lot of the weight shifting, turning of hips, and driving through strikes will be familiar. But for most taichi instruction, that's all it'll ever be, these forms that are structurally related to some striking techniques.

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, I love that stuff, trying to figure out if there was ever a more applied to fighting version of a now seemingly not-useful martial art.
This is the best clip I have of that sort of thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZmH9jR5eo

The instructor is obviously well versed in Chinese shuaijiao (that's what those shortsleeved tops are for), and you can see even when he's doing the form that he incorporates real motions for gripping onto your opponent into the move.
Try as I might, I haven't gotten that technique to work with gloves on in sanshou sparring. It's hard to slow things down and stay in clinch range with nothing but limbs to grip onto. That's not to say that sanshou doesn't have numerous other no-gi trips and throws.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Plenty of teachers in aikido I've had striking backgrounds (Kung fu, Karate) and taught proper striking technique as well. I have seen plenty of (bullshit) aikido along the way, but characterizing the whole art as bullshit is a bit much.

This is my take on it too. In order aikido to be implemented in any realistic manner, you need to cross train. The point remains, though, that you are much better off doing a MMA variant than aikido, if you want it to be practical at all.

I've yet to see any kind of non-fake demonstration of aikido, where the attacker is actually attacking and not just doing a karate-chop or grabbing a hand. Their weapons demos are even worse.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is my take on it too. In order aikido to be implemented in any realistic manner, you need to cross train. The point remains, though, that you are much better off doing a MMA variant than aikido, if you want it to be practical at all.

I've yet to see any kind of non-fake demonstration of aikido, where the attacker is actually attacking and not just doing a karate-chop or grabbing a hand. Their weapons demos are even worse.

I think you threw in the last part because of the walking dead garbage use of a jo. Lol.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Former boxer doing yoga problem: I keep trying to tuck my chin in warrior 2 pose

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Does Aikido even practice against resisting-uke? A lot of the techniques that I've seen, the principles behind a lot of the throws are sound i.e guy starts resisting backwards so you allow that while tripping him, but I'm not sure efficacy against a resisting opponent can be reached, without practicing against a resisting opponent.

In theory I know how to do a lot of really esoteric take downs from many different martial arts but since I don't practice them outside of having an uke working with me I have pretty much never hit them in rolling.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

KildarX posted:

Does Aikido even practice against resisting-uke? A lot of the techniques that I've seen, the principles behind a lot of the throws are sound i.e guy starts resisting backwards so you allow that while tripping him, but I'm not sure efficacy against a resisting opponent can be reached, without practicing against a resisting opponent.

In theory I know how to do a lot of really esoteric take downs from many different martial arts but since I don't practice them outside of having an uke working with me I have pretty much never hit them in rolling.

Yes, there is resisting uke practice. There's all teaching counters to techniques being applied. One of my favorite instructors is a retired police officer. He's great at resisting techniques and showing how to apply it correctly.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

Former boxer doing yoga problem: I keep trying to tuck my chin in warrior 2 pose

My yoga AND boxing problem is I flare my chin. :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Yes, there is resisting uke practice. There's all teaching counters to techniques being applied. One of my favorite instructors is a retired police officer. He's great at resisting techniques and showing how to apply it correctly.

What are the best videos showing proper aikido sparring and drilling?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LionArcher posted:

Resistance, in this case, means sparring. Not "I'm going to let you do the throw but use my strength to make it more difficult."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

yes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I can't think of a single one. I've heard there's a French instructor who has very solid videos, but judging from this thread it might be a lot of (lol that's fake) But I don't go looking for them either.

There was a VHS of Segal when he was very young and actually solid, before he became a fat crazy person. Fun fact, trained with a couple of his students at a big expo ten years ago. They were major jerks.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I find it hard to understand the theory of cross training Akido.

I've done mma and boxing now for a few years, if I go take Akido for a week and then get in an altercation at the Jolly Giant Pub and punch the guy in the face to end things, I'm not going to thinking "glad I did that funny dancing non sparring poo poo at Akido", I'm going to be thinking "glad I learnt how to punch hard in boxing against someone who is actually trying to punch me instead of letting me punch them"

Now that's obvious. But I've never ever seen a video of anything like actual combat done by Akido people. So the reverse is never going to be true. That week of boxing will have done more for me in a live sparring environment than years of Akido.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I find it hard to understand the theory of cross training Akido.

I've done mma and boxing now for a few years, if I go take Akido for a week and then get in an altercation at the Jolly Giant Pub and punch the guy in the face to end things, I'm not going to thinking "glad I did that funny dancing non sparring poo poo at Akido", I'm going to be thinking "glad I learnt how to punch hard in boxing against someone who is actually trying to punch me instead of letting me punch them"

Now that's obvious. But I've never ever seen a video of anything like actual combat done by Akido people. So the reverse is never going to be true. That week of boxing will have done more for me in a live sparring environment than years of Akido.

Because in your scenario you get arrested for assault and if I had to end the situation it will look like I did some sort of weird lock on them and won't get charged with assault.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Because in your scenario you get arrested for assault and if I had to end the situation it will look like I did some sort of weird lock on them and won't get charged with assault.

So why not just do BJJ instead? By your own admission, it's easier to learn.
I mean, I like the philosophy behind aikido, the movement system, etc and I understand why it attracts some people, but I would never call it an effective martial art and I've yet to see any evidence that it is.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Judo is literally everything an aikidoka always says aikido is in these threads except its better in every way i can think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Novum posted:

Judo is literally everything an aikidoka always says aikido is in these threads except its better in every way i can think of

He tripped, officer.