Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

How the hell do I get triad experience in Sleeping Dogs? Police XP is easy as hell to get because I can just dick around with the swat dlc I bought if I don't feel like doing missions but beating the poo poo out of random civilians does absolutely nothing (besides making Wei look like a pork bun obsessed psycho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

How the hell do I get triad experience in Sleeping Dogs? Police XP is easy as hell to get because I can just dick around with the swat dlc I bought if I don't feel like doing missions but beating the poo poo out of random civilians does absolutely nothing (besides making Wei look like a pork bun obsessed psycho)

It is pretty much a matter of grinding it out from story missions. If that sounds awful (and its pretty tight demand for it) just buy whatever dlc it is that promises Triad XP missions and play that a couple times.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah maxing out Triad XP is obnoxious because you really have to mindfully game the system in some missions. Like instead of going nuts with instant-kills, you need to land a bunch of combos to rack up those points, then go for an environmental kill on each enemy. You also get more points for some of the later moves you can learn in the dojo. Things get a little better once missions introduce gunplay and in situations where they just throw a ton of guys at you, but trying to actually get to a full three triangles in the early missions sucks.

The DLC definitely helps, but I wish it wasn't a bit tedious and :effort:. That would be the "Triad Enforcer Pack". (There's the other alternative of paying for the Top Dog pack(s), which just give a direct boost to Cop, Triad, and Face XP, but yuck.)

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah maxing out Triad XP is obnoxious because you really have to mindfully game the system in some missions. Like instead of going nuts with instant-kills, you need to land a bunch of combos to rack up those points, then go for an environmental kill on each enemy. You also get more points for some of the later moves you can learn in the dojo. Things get a little better once missions introduce gunplay and in situations where they just throw a ton of guys at you, but trying to actually get to a full three triangles in the early missions sucks.

The DLC definitely helps, but I wish it wasn't a bit tedious and :effort:. That would be the "Triad Enforcer Pack". (There's the other alternative of paying for the Top Dog pack(s), which just give a direct boost to Cop, Triad, and Face XP, but yuck.)

If you're ever trying and repeatedly failing to eliminate all the guys so you can hack a camera I recommend unloading a pistol into someone as soon as you get close. It's pretty cathartic and has the added benefit of attracting cops (or it did for me) who will (hopefully) get into a shootout with the criminals. Apparently it doesn't matter WHO kills them so long as they die, Saying gently caress this and just running them over in a car works for awhile too though eventually the ai actually tried that on me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I've beaten sleeping dogs three times now and I've never maxed out the triad skill tree. It's not easy, but it's not important, either, I never felt like I was missing anything vital from it. IMO you have way more fun ignoring the skill grind and just playing the game how you like it than you will grinding it out and having access to those last two or three skills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

juliuspringle posted:

The trick is to get face, then use the face to get outfits that majorly increase triad XP. Since there are a bunch of cheap minor face-increasing items in the night market, start there. Complete the fighting clubs as soon as possible for a particularly massive face influx. Having a triad-increasing outfit from mid or late game will make the XP for that tree much easier.

juliuspringle posted:

If you're ever trying and repeatedly failing to eliminate all the guys so you can hack a camera I recommend unloading a pistol into someone as soon as you get close. It's pretty cathartic and has the added benefit of attracting cops (or it did for me) who will (hopefully) get into a shootout with the criminals. Apparently it doesn't matter WHO kills them so long as they die, Saying gently caress this and just running them over in a car works for awhile too though eventually the ai actually tried that on me.

I strongly recommend just killing all of them with a car. Either by driving over them, or by repeatedly sliding across the hood into their faces.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Against all critical opinion and in-thread advice, I'm playing Mafia 3, and I'm wondering; how important is it to do the wiretap stuff? I'm not really clear on what it exactly does, apart from revealing collectibles, which is nice.

It's the tooltip about making it possible to recruit racket bosses that confuses me, because I've definitely rolled in on rackets with no wiretap and been able to recruit people. Is it just a certain type of person that you need a wiretap to recruit?

Also, any other beginner tips are welcome

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything I should know as I start out in Total War: WARHAMMER? I haven't played any of the Total War series before, and have only a vague familiarity with Warhammer that is not of the 40K variety.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know as I start out in Total War: WARHAMMER? I haven't played any of the Total War series before, and have only a vague familiarity with Warhammer that is not of the 40K variety.

Your spearmen (or equivalent) get a brace bonus for being stationary when they get charged, which it does a lovely job of telling you. So if they get charged put them in Hold or Stop or whatever the command is rather than counter charging the cavalry/giants.

Also, despite what the game says I found that Vampire Counts were probably the easiest faction to pick up and learn, rather than the Dwarves. If you want a more well rounded faction with a little bit of everything, then basically pick the Empire. Stay away from Chaos for your first playthrough, their horde mechanics make them entirely different (and much harder) to learn.

Your officer guys have a limited number of points, so you can't get every skill. Have a plan for each guy and work towards it. The red tree is mostly personal combat buffs. The yellow tree is mostly army or AoE buffs. The blue tree is generally Strategic Map buffs/actions/changes (though Lightning Strike is also usually there which is pretty good, it lets you fight an army without their reinforcements for awhile).

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Your spearmen (or equivalent) get a brace bonus for being stationary when they get charged, which it does a lovely job of telling you. So if they get charged put them in Hold or Stop or whatever the command is rather than counter charging the cavalry/giants.

Also, despite what the game says I found that Vampire Counts were probably the easiest faction to pick up and learn, rather than the Dwarves. If you want a more well rounded faction with a little bit of everything, then basically pick the Empire. Stay away from Chaos for your first playthrough, their horde mechanics make them entirely different (and much harder) to learn.

Your officer guys have a limited number of points, so you can't get every skill. Have a plan for each guy and work towards it. The red tree is mostly personal combat buffs. The yellow tree is mostly army or AoE buffs. The blue tree is generally Strategic Map buffs/actions/changes (though Lightning Strike is also usually there which is pretty good, it lets you fight an army without their reinforcements for awhile).

Pretty sure the above poster got Red and Yellow confused.

All combat in total war games is a variety of hammer and anvil: Use defensive units like spearmen or whatever carries a shield to lock the enemy army in place, then use your more mobile troops to smash them in the butt.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Seconding advice for Mafia 3 .

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A few things I've noticed:

The game's a buggy mess. If you see something weird like an objective missing, or a map marker not showing up, try reloading the checkpoint and see if that fixes things. I've had to do that twice so far.

There are only two "steal the weed boat" optional missions. The game will keep the objective in your menu and happily let you drive out to the bayou to try and complete it, but there won't be a boat there, no matter how many times you reload.

I'm beginning to understand this game's low score. Which is a shame because all the ingredients of a fun game are in there, it just needed a little more time in the oven.

Still, I'm still basically enjoying being a black-panther looking dude running a rampage across racist 1970s New Orleans

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Anything for Fate Extella?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Pretty sure the above poster got Red and Yellow confused.

All combat in total war games is a variety of hammer and anvil: Use defensive units like spearmen or whatever carries a shield to lock the enemy army in place, then use your more mobile troops to smash them in the butt.

I might have, I usually think of them by order rather than color. Top is single combat, middle is army buffs, bottom is map stuff. It's been awhile since I've had time to play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anything for the new Doom?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ravenfood posted:

Rip and TEAR!

Get the mapping upgrades first, the rest are all pretty average.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

If you do most of the challenges and find most of the secrets you'll have more than enough weapon upgrade points. find something that sounds cool and upgrade it.

Mix and match your rune upgrades. I personally find the armor from glory kills and infinite ammo above whatever armor the best, but honestly they are all quite good.

Don't horde your chainsaw or BFG ammo. That poo poo is there to use and ammo is more plentiful then you think.

Always be moving. Rip and tear.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok, I think I've figured out wiretaps in Mafia 3 to my satisfaction (answer below) but now I have another specific question: Once I've achieved the minimum amount of damage required to draw out a racket boss, is there any good reason for me to keep working on the unfinished objectives for that racket, or can I safely just full steam ahead and get through the game faster? I know that killing enforcers makes the racket boss easier, and that working the objectives puts some immediate money in your pocket, but does it affect the earn of the racket after you've taken it over? Or is it exclusively recruiting informants & bosses that gives you a little bonus? I can't quite figure it out from the information it gives me. I can't even figure out if recruiting informants and bosses is even worth it; it seems like the optional objective you get after unlocking a racket will max out the earn on a racket even if you didn't get the small recruitment bonus. If that's the case then recruiting seems like a waste of time, you might as well just get the short-term murder money from killing them.

As for the wiretaps: It seems like it's only "racket bosses" specifically that you need to tap the sector in order to unlock the option to recruit them; "informants" can be recruited without taps. Otherwise, wiretaps are just good for showing you collectibles on the map, and I guess revealing the location of all enemies in the area. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the tooltip was lying and you could recruit bosses without the taps, too; I haven't tried because I'm overflowing with taps and might as well use them but an erroneous tooltip would be pretty par for the course for this hot lil' mess of a game I'm actually still having fun what's wrong with me

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ok, I think I've figured out wiretaps in Mafia 3 to my satisfaction (answer below) but now I have another specific question: Once I've achieved the minimum amount of damage required to draw out a racket boss, is there any good reason for me to keep working on the unfinished objectives for that racket, or can I safely just full steam ahead and get through the game faster? I know that killing enforcers makes the racket boss easier, and that working the objectives puts some immediate money in your pocket, but does it affect the earn of the racket after you've taken it over? Or is it exclusively recruiting informants & bosses that gives you a little bonus? I can't quite figure it out from the information it gives me. I can't even figure out if recruiting informants and bosses is even worth it; it seems like the optional objective you get after unlocking a racket will max out the earn on a racket even if you didn't get the small recruitment bonus. If that's the case then recruiting seems like a waste of time, you might as well just get the short-term murder money from killing them.

As for the wiretaps: It seems like it's only "racket bosses" specifically that you need to tap the sector in order to unlock the option to recruit them; "informants" can be recruited without taps. Otherwise, wiretaps are just good for showing you collectibles on the map, and I guess revealing the location of all enemies in the area. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the tooltip was lying and you could recruit bosses without the taps, too; I haven't tried because I'm overflowing with taps and might as well use them but an erroneous tooltip would be pretty par for the course for this hot lil' mess of a game I'm actually still having fun what's wrong with me

Hopefully I'll get more time in so I can answer that poo poo. Otherwise I'm enjoying this game too. I really like the setting and white supremacists are never not fun to kill.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

McCoy Pauley posted:

- You don't need any of the DLC at the start. There is a lot of content already with just the base game and the DLC races are added to the campaign even without the expansions (you just can't play as them).
- For Quests that require a battle: There is a Teleport button in the quest notification scroll that will trigger the battle instantly and then put your army back where it was in the campaign map. Maybe they added it in a patch, maybe I'm dumb, but I played the entire Dwarf campaign without noticing it, and marching armies up and down the map for ten turns isn't fun.
- There are mods for every annoyance in the game: Enemies swarming you with berserker agents? Mod that tones them down a bit. Small raiding parties triggering grudges and then running away for 4 turns? Mod that gives you 10% increase in army speed in friendly territory. Orc Wizard Main Character being less powerful than a run on the mill, just recruited orc wizard? Fixed. Play a bit and if you find something annoying, odds are that you can fix it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

- You don't need any of the DLC at the start. There is a lot of content already with just the base game and the DLC races are added to the campaign even without the expansions (you just can't play as them).
- For Quests that require a battle: There is a Teleport button in the quest notification scroll that will trigger the battle instantly and then put your army back where it was in the campaign map. Maybe they added it in a patch, maybe I'm dumb, but I played the entire Dwarf campaign without noticing it, and marching armies up and down the map for ten turns isn't fun.
- There are mods for every annoyance in the game: Enemies swarming you with berserker agents? Mod that tones them down a bit. Small raiding parties triggering grudges and then running away for 4 turns? Mod that gives you 10% increase in army speed in friendly territory. Orc Wizard Main Character being less powerful than a run on the mill, just recruited orc wizard? Fixed. Play a bit and if you find something annoying, odds are that you can fix it.

How stable is the game modded? I've done some modding before, but mainly in Xcom and Skyrim, two games not known for being stable before modding. Obviously it largely depends on the mod, but for big ones that change the game significantly, is it known to crash? I saw some mods on the workshop that looked interesting such as Chaos being delayed by 50 turns or so and I wouldn't mind if there was one that made my level 15 general a little stronger against level 3 enemy heroes harassing him.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The ones I mentioned were pretty stable when I played last, not sure about everything else. It's been a while since I played other TW games, but IIRC Warhammer was released in a better state than usual.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Grand Theft Auto V

I just grabbed this on steam. The last one I played was San Andreas and loved the hell out of it. So far I've just done the Story Mode for a couple hours, haven't gotten to Trevor yet. I used to just play these games with the cheat codes automatically, but I'm doing this legit so far. Should I give online a try? I've read about it a bit but I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Any other tips are cool too of course, I never really followed this game too much before. It seems really cool though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Grand Theft Auto V

I just grabbed this on steam. The last one I played was San Andreas and loved the hell out of it. So far I've just done the Story Mode for a couple hours, haven't gotten to Trevor yet. I used to just play these games with the cheat codes automatically, but I'm doing this legit so far. Should I give online a try? I've read about it a bit but I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Any other tips are cool too of course, I never really followed this game too much before. It seems really cool though.

Online is really great if you have some friends to gently caress around with. It is a hellish nightmare world with pubbies.

The single player story is fantastic, I highly suggest playing it all the way through legit.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

juliuspringle posted:

You can also do the Martial Arts tournament DLC several times (I forgot the name) for Triad XP. It's not too grindy, since beating up dudes is fun and that's what the DLC is about.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What should I know before I play Shadow Tower?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Online is really great if you have some friends to gently caress around with. It is a hellish nightmare world with pubbies.

The single player story is fantastic, I highly suggest playing it all the way through legit.

How's the online for PC? Is hacking/cheating a problem at all?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's the online for PC? Is hacking/cheating a problem at all?

Lol yes. I think they implemented an anti cheat, but it is dubious at best. Avoid pubbies at all costs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What should I know before I play Shadow Tower?

I finished that game almost a year ago exactly, but I've a hard time remembering detailed stuff.

* Strafing with L1 and R1 is the key to fighting enemies, allowing you to run circles around them while keeping them in front of you.

* Strength governs your Hit Points rather than your attack damage.

* Both of your hands have a separate "Reserve" equipment slot assigned to them which allow for quick switching between weapons/shields. To switch to your Reserve weapon/shield, press X immediately followed by either Triangle (right hand) or Square (left hand).

* To equip a spell, you must first equip a ring to your right or left Ring slot followed by assigning a spell from within that ring to your right or left Magic slot. To cast a spell, press Circle immediately followed by either Triangle (right hand spell) or Square (left hand spell). Casting spells reduces ring durability.

* You can find shops that repair your gear in exchange for your HP. Healing potions always heal you to full HP so unless you're very short on them, burn as much health for repairs as you can before healing up. Even 0 durability items can be repaired, but the cost is much higher.

* When exchanging Cunes for items, the stat-increasing Soul Pods are probably the most worthwhile purchase. The expensive Fortune Great Helm is also very good, while the other pieces of gear aren't that special. The Beast Key isn't critical either unless you're a completionist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ravenfood posted:

Treat every fight like it's the last fight and by that I mean ignore your videogame hoarding instinct and use whatever gun and whatever mod and whatever ammo you want to get the job done and have fun. Rockets are not a special, rainy day weapon. Grenades are limitless (but on cooldown). The chainsaw can one-shot any non-boss enemy when your suit's ammo is fully upgraded. So just go buck wild.

The only exception to this is when trying to do the various challenges or rune upgrade requirements, but you can leave those for when you replay a level.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I constantly forget I have equipment/grenades in Doom. I'm sure one can leverage them to great use but I just can never remember to use them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lobok posted:

Treat every fight like it's the last fight and by that I mean ignore your videogame hoarding instinct and use whatever gun and whatever mod and whatever ammo you want to get the job done and have fun. Rockets are not a special, rainy day weapon. Grenades are limitless (but on cooldown). The chainsaw can one-shot any non-boss enemy when your suit's ammo is fully upgraded. So just go buck wild.

The only exception to this is when trying to do the various challenges or rune upgrade requirements, but you can leave those for when you replay a level.

Replaying early levels is a very easy way to get the "kill N enemies within N seconds" and "kill N enemies with one shot N times" weapon challenges. Also, the double shotgun & turret chaingun are absolute madness when fully upgraded.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh you can absolutely game any challenge in Doom that's like "Do X some number of times" by reloading checkpoints. It tracks progress in those things even if you reset. It's super cheap but gently caress it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nate RFB posted:

I constantly forget I have equipment/grenades in Doom. I'm sure one can leverage them to great use but I just can never remember to use them.

If there's one good thing about those bastards with the shields it's that they got me in the habit of using grenades.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lobok posted:

And if you do happen to start running out of gun ammo and you're getting cornered, don't be afraid burn chainsaw fuel on a zombie or something since the ammo drop will refill all of your guns.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pneub posted:

And if you do happen to start running out of gun ammo and you're getting cornered, don't be afraid burn chainsaw fuel on a zombie or something since the ammo drop will refill all of your guns.

Definitely. Once you've got several guns it's more likely that you'll die before you run out of all types of ammo, even if you have terrible aim, but using the chainsaw to get more ammo is real nice. It's easily one of my favourite weapons/game mechanics of all time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1redflag posted:

Replaying early levels is a very easy way to get the "kill N enemies within N seconds" and "kill N enemies with one shot N times" weapon challenges. Also, the double shotgun & turret chaingun are absolute madness when fully upgraded.

Oh, big one you might not figure out; Despite the name, you can still move around with the Chaingun in Turret Mode. (The weapons are all the same from the last 20 years of DOOM games, they're hardly spoilers).

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Because I like trophies but hate grinding, can anyone confirm/deny whether Uncharted 4 disables difficulty trophies if I turn on Lock-on Aim? The game warns you that it does, but Google turns up a lot of people saying it doesn't.

(I'm still on an unpatched physical version of the game if that counts for anything)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Because I like trophies but hate grinding, can anyone confirm/deny whether Uncharted 4 disables difficulty trophies if I turn on Lock-on Aim? The game warns you that it does, but Google turns up a lot of people saying it doesn't.

(I'm still on an unpatched physical version of the game if that counts for anything)

I can't vouch for it unpatched but it doesn't block trophies. Cheats also let you get trophies so beat the game on a comfortable difficulty then buy infinite ammo + slowdown for your crushing play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
As someone who never played the original is there anything to know before starting Lunar Legend?