Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

fridge corn posted:

FFXV has like three maybe four songs

I have the soundtrack and there's like 90 on there and still a bunch missing so you continue to be the champion of wrong things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They said march was the planned date for the updates to ch. 13 and the rest of the game but I'd take that knowing that schedules can shift.

I think they might have said it will co-incide with Gladio's DLC but unsure.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The FFXV soundtrack is great. One of my favorites!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXV could have the best OST ever but why would you even bother listening to it with all the great othe soundtracks yu can listen to? Battle on the Big Bridge, Seymour Battle and now Kaine Salvation all in one game? Nothing can really compete with that.

probably bc listening to the same songs over and over again gets boring

unless it's whatever your favorite band is, i could prob listen to crystal castles on repeat for eternity

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Apart from Jobs operating more like upgrades, how does FF3 differ from the remake? I hear the final bosses is quite different at least. No tentacles as side enemies to deal with, for instance.

It's quite easy once you get a hang of it, most of the bullshit is in dungeon design and not the bosses/enemies. Don't know about the other bosses (only reached end game but never beat 3DS) but CoD only spams one move that does ~1500 to everyone, so there's no strategy but it still feels cool to me since it's one giant damage race that you have no business losing. I've beat the game solo with little trouble before, it's fine other than Nepto's Cave and maybe Garuda. Instead of a limit of three enemies a battle it's eight or nine, don't remember which.

Instead of reduced stats for a few battles, you spend capacity to change jobs. Switching to a similar job requires less capacity than a different job, and higher-tier jobs cost more. Otherwise, jobs are more like upgrades (i.e. there's no reason to stick as Fighter/BM when you get Knight/Warlock). The jobs are poorly balanced, good jobs in 3DS like Bard and Geomancer are worthless in NES. In Eureka you unlock Ninja and Sage, there's no reason to use other jobs besides maybe Dragoon's Jump, since Ninja equips everything and Sages have a massive amount of spell points while getting the Summoner version of summons.

I like the idea of rebalancing the jobs but they didn't balance the game around them, instead compensating for the lowered encounter rate by boosting damage/number of turns. It'd have benefited by better balance and not being managed by a guy whose greatest claim to fame is making two different borderline-unplayable MMORPGs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I have the soundtrack and there's like 90 on there and still a bunch missing so you continue to be the champion of wrong things

I was being generous earlier. The swelling one someone mentioned earlier is the only one I can remember. Im assuming there was also a battle theme and maybe a dungeon theme?? Oh and the chocobo theme. That's four.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
SE is making a new game called Prelude Rune. It's being helmed by Hideo Baba from the Tales Of series and may or may not be a game for mobile phones.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Similar to Tokyo RPG Factory, Studio Istolia is a subsidiary rather than an integrated studio in SE Japan. The idea is to make games that are different from the type made at their main development team.

It's also a good career move for Baba. Bandai-Namco has been consolidating a lot of their studios and giving them tighter deadlines.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was wondering what happened to Baba after Zesteria, hope this works out for him.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I think we all wondered at one point since Namco made him a 1984 style unperson.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wow, finished XV last night. That has got to be the most underwhelming final boss in the whole series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Wow, finished XV last night. That has got to be the most underwhelming final boss in the whole series.

I think he'd be more meaningful if the boss just before him had got actual buildup over the course of the story.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The final boss should've been racing Ardyn for pinks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Krad posted:

So you skipped 10 or

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

So you skipped 10 or
...but enough about the game that came after Necron...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tae posted:

So you skipped 10 or

Jecht is the final boss of X. The rest is an extended falling action.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tae posted:

So you skipped 10 or

Jecht was loving awesome, not to mention somewhat challenging in a vanilla run. Meanwhile, in XV, I had no clue I was fighting the final boss. I was waiting for something else to fight, even a Necron 2.0, but nope. The game just ends.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Krad posted:

Jecht was loving awesome, not to mention somewhat challenging in a vanilla run. Meanwhile, in XV, I had no clue I was fighting the final boss. I was waiting for something else to fight, even a Necron 2.0, but nope. The game just ends.

Jecht wasn't the final boss of X

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

morallyobjected posted:

Jecht wasn't the final boss of X

Right, and Safer Sephiroth wasn't a final boss, either.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krad posted:

The last two bosses were really easy but I thought the last chapter was great overall. I had the most trouble with Quetzalcoatl out of any of the bosses honestly

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

XV's final boss is decent. One of the better fights in the game.
Take that as you will.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

XV was so insanely easy that it was literally impossible to die so none of the fights had any sense of urgency or danger so they just became boring slogs since the outcome was inevitable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Right, and Safer Sephiroth wasn't a final boss, either.

That's a weird comparison considering that FF7 has a direct one: Cloud vs Sephiroth.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah and that's why he brought it up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's impossible to lose the fight after jecht, that's more a glorified cutscene then a boss fight

therefore jecht is the final boss

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's impossible to lose the fight after jecht, that's more a glorified cutscene then a boss fight

Cant you lose it by turning all 3 party members to stone?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's impossible to lose assuming you don't purposefully try to lose, sorry to trigger your pedanticism

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I actually had a little trouble with the fight after Jecht the first time I played it because I didn't have anything on hand to counteract the full cure it casts every turn. Then I decided to use Zombie that Lulu had on one of her weapons. :downsgun:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

it's impossible to lose assuming you don't purposefully try to lose, sorry to trigger your pedanticism

Nah, genuinely curious. Youre not intended to be able to lose, i just dont remember if there was a safeguard against that one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

That's a weird comparison considering that FF7 has a direct one: Cloud vs Sephiroth.

No that's exactly why they made that comparison because while Idealized Cloud vs. Idealized Sephy is the final actual fight, the fact that it's a glorified cutscene means a lot of people probably think (correctly) Safer Sephiroth is the last actual battle, much like the mercy killing of Yu Yevon compared to Jecht.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

fridge corn posted:

XV was so insanely easy that it was literally impossible to die so none of the fights had any sense of urgency or danger so they just became boring slogs since the outcome was inevitable

For me, it was either incrediby easy, or I'd just die in a couple of hits, there was no inbetween. The only fight I can honestly say that I enjoyed was against Ravus, everything else was usually too chaotic to keep track of anything or the camera actively acted against me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nah, genuinely curious. Youre not intended to be able to lose, i just dont remember if there was a safeguard against that one.

oh, yeah you're still vulnerable to self-inflicted statuses, i believe petrify is the only one that will outright end the game tho

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

victrix posted:

Thanks for this, helpful.

I did play through FF3 (once), and I legitimately can't remember anything about it except 'I'm annoyed' and 'This is annoying' and something about a Cloud of Darkness at the very end. That's all I remember for a game I probably spent, what, 30-40+ hours on? They went and tacked a story and new characters onto it in the remake didn't they?

Maybe I should take your advice and skip it forevermore :v:

Do not play the FF3 remake, it is the worst game in the Final Fantasy main series. FF4:TAY is probably worse overall but that's due to its dumb fanfic writing and not the game mechanics being made as stupid as possible.

FF2's remake improved upon a bad game, though it's still a bad game (but at least hp and mdef growth isn't stupid, agility still is). FF3's remake actually made the game worse.

ImpAtom posted:

You mean the QTE you can't fail (unless you can target yourself and deal a OHKO somehow)? It's not a boss fight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
actually the ff2 remake owns, please don't slander it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FF3 DS is only the third worst FF at worst

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Constantly Posting How Much I Hate Final Fantasy XV: My Posting Brand

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

Constantly Posting How Much I Hate Final Fantasy XV: My Posting Brand

It's weird how nobody can come up with reasons why they think it's good other than its a "solid, but flawed game" which doesn't make any sense in this poster's opinion

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The music is nice? (When it's there) :shobon:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Krad posted:

The music is nice? (When it's there) :shobon:

just like the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the normal battle themes are pretty good in XV, but they also don't beat Blinded by The Light