Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You mean like a battalion commander? They do have an adjutant, a lieutenant, basically a secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mustang posted:

Honestly CSM seems like one of the most useless positions in the Army.

I thought this was common knowledge

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I actually don't know fully the name of comparable positions, but nordics don't have these weird super senior NCOs.

Overall the PL fills a lot what PSG here does, and XO does a lot what 1SG does here. Officers do more stuff with the dudes overall.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
But that takes almost all the reason out of being an officer

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, do you have a specific MOS for changing the color of squares on excel spreadsheets and trackers and powerpoint icons?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

While I do think a CSM is a mostly useless position, I think a PSG and 1SG are important roles for NCOs. Both PLs and COs are pretty junior as far as officers are concerned and that experience their PSG/1SG can impart are invaluable. A CSM is barely more senior in years than the LTC/COL or whatever they work for, and pretty far removed from the troops.

Not having a PSG would make my life 1000x more difficult. I'm also fortunate enough to have great squad leaders so I can basically trust everything that needs to be done, to get done. I can't imagine being a PL and not having a PSG.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Your PSG and platoon all think you're an idiot, just FYI.

Nature of the beast.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Re: Cellphones

One time our unit was going to do a mass tactical jump at an airshow halfway across the country except half the planes were broke because they were flown by some rinky-dink rear end ANG unit, including my plane. We had to turn around halfway there because one of the engines was spewing fuel vapor like crazy and the static from the opening parachutes could potentially blow the plane up. Once we landed, the klaxons all were blaring and we had to run off the ramp as a fire precaution as the big foam firefighter trucks came and started hosing the place down.

So there I was, standing like 100 ft from a C130 being sprayed with foam because it might explode when I get a call from the XO. His plane was also sent back with problems, and he was wondering if I had the key to the commo cage so he could turn in his radio.

Half the company is in the air, a fourth of the company is on the ground several states over, and another fourth is back at Bragg, I am standing there in this absurd scenario fully rigged up in a chute and gear staring at a plane being foamed down having to say "uhhhhhhhhh well sir I guess I will be back in twenty minutes or so" all because of cellphones. Gate guards could be getting into a shootout with a bunch of terrorists at the gate and their team leaders would call asking about POV inspection sheets and poo poo in this man's army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well, I am an idiot so don't care too much about that. Just trying to get what needs done, done and not wasting the guys in my platoons time any more than necessary.

I have no desire to make a career of the Army so I don't have any concerns about getting amazing OER bullet points or anything like that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

Well, I am an idiot so don't care too much about that. Just trying to get what needs done, done and not wasting the guys in my platoons time any more than necessary.

I have no desire to make a career of the Army so I don't have any concerns about getting amazing OER bullet points or anything like that.

Good for you. At least you recognize that some people are useless and got lucky enough to get a good unit (citation needed) and are smart enough to know that tragedy lies behind the mirror.

Let me see what I can do.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So after my combat medic training, I've been told it can be around 40-60 credits, depending where you go to. What is the quickest way for me to hack at a degree, when commissioning is my goal?

So presumably, the degree won't matter much.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Check if your AIT has some sort of agreement with a local educational institution. When I went through AIT at Huachuca I received 30ish credits for $50 from a local state run community college, which let me get basically a free AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies or some such by transferring in general education credits taken elsewhere. Be aware though that none of these credits will probably be worth much at a 4 year institution that isn't a for profit like UoP or AMU. Who knows though, maybe medical stuff gets you credits for something transferable.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I remember getting a call a couple of days after I went on terminal leave, when I was somewhere in west Texas by that point (2,000 mi. away), asking about where something was. Guy wasn't even in my platoon, what the gently caress are you calling me for? Go talk to the guy who handles that. Jesus.

A few months after that, I had thirteen missed calls at about four in the morning from my old PSG. No thanks. :lol:

e: Just looked, and it was texts and phone calls over the course of a whole week about a loving AAM. The entire drive from coast-to-coast. :facepalm:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 21, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

Check if your AIT has some sort of agreement with a local educational institution.

This. It's how I got my first master's degree cheap and easy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

I remember getting a call a couple of days after I went on terminal leave, when I was somewhere in west Texas by that point (2,000 mi. away), asking about where something was. Guy wasn't even in my platoon, what the gently caress are you calling me for? Go talk to the guy who handles that. Jesus.

A few months after that, I had thirteen missed calls at about four in the morning from my old PSG. No thanks. :lol:

Did he leave a message?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
No, I have no idea what it was for, and I sure as hell didn't call him back.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Please for your troopers' sake keep in mind there are tons and tons of fuckfuck poo poo that happens under your radar in your platoon that you won't be aware of unless you specifically ask about what sort of fuckfuck goes on. Little stuff that over time snowballs into making a lovely work environment, and it's stuff that's hard to quantify. Little things like constantly losing out on 30 minutes of lunch time (or any sort of personal time) for stupid bullshit, asinine decisions on how to do basic day to day stuff, etc

Like, it's hard to explain, but there were several times we'd tell our PL what sort of retarded bullshit we had to do that day and he was like "you guys need to tell me when this stuff happens so it won't happen again." As much as I think it's bullshit, low-level unit stuff in the Army could benefit from a Lean/Six Sigma management BS thing called Kaizen. Basically, the platoon would get together and think about how you can streamline/reduce waste in the operation of your day to day operations to make things easier and faster. Your men will appreciate it if you show interest in making their lives easier.

Come to think of it, Lean Manufacturing is extremely Army in that it's mega buzzword bullshit, so the two should go together handily.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 21, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
My eyes just glazed over when you said lean six sigma.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mike-o posted:

My eyes just glazed over when you said lean six sigma.

You don't know the sublime joy of witnessing an entire class nearly mutiny against a professor teaching it for the first time because everyone sees through the BS and the professor can't explain why or how it's useful :allears:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Isn't that just for stupid people fighting to stay relevant in white collar middle management positions?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zeris posted:

Isn't that just for stupid people fighting to stay relevant in white collar middle management positions?

Picture the two consultants from Office Space except the tell you that they raised the ARSFTWAF by 4% and that will be $20,000, please

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Picture the two consultants from Office Space except the tell you that they raised the ARSFTWAF by 4% and that will be $20,000, please

When I describe being a staff officer, I tell people to imagine everyone in Office Space wearing camo and being legally obligated to do what your boss says, and your boss has the worst aspects of both Milton and Lumberg rolled into one foul package.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Please for your troopers' sake keep in mind there are tons and tons of fuckfuck poo poo that happens under your radar in your platoon that you won't be aware of unless you specifically ask about what sort of fuckfuck goes on. Little stuff that over time snowballs into making a lovely work environment, and it's stuff that's hard to quantify. Little things like constantly losing out on 30 minutes of lunch time (or any sort of personal time) for stupid bullshit, asinine decisions on how to do basic day to day stuff, etc

I try to keep aware of stuff like this but myself, my PSG and squad leaders all try to get the guys out as soon as everything is done for the day. Our 1SG is also pretty keen on getting people out by 1700 at the latest. Kind of worried what our new 1SG is going to be like when we get a new one later in the year.

My platoon is so ridiculously stacked with good NCO's that I'm honestly surprised I haven't had any of them taken to another platoon.

I'm feel like I'm the luckiest LT in my unit. I'm sure it will all come crashing down around me someday though.

Icon Of Sin posted:

When I describe being a staff officer, I tell people to imagine everyone in Office Space wearing camo and being legally obligated to do what your boss says, and your boss has the worst aspects of both Milton and Lumberg rolled into one foul package.

Even when you have a good working environment it still sucks balls being on staff

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

My platoon is so ridiculously stacked with good NCO's that I'm honestly surprised I haven't had any of them taken to another platoon.

I'm feel like I'm the luckiest LT in my unit. I'm sure it will all come crashing down around me someday though.

It is done. The pact is sealed. So sayeth the verdant sausage.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mustang posted:

Our 1SG is also pretty keen on getting people out by 1700 at the latest. Kind of worried what our new 1SG is going to be like when we get a new one later in the year.

Prepare your butthole.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Prepare your butthole.

But he out ranks him!

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Wasabi the J posted:

But he out ranks him!

With grape jelly.

benem
Feb 15, 2012
CSMs and PLs actually have pretty similar roles - they are both entirely unnecessary to their organization's mission, but are told by both themselves and the army that they are REAL IMPORTANT motherfuckers. Thus, they typically spin their wheels and kick up pointless poo poo everywhere in an attempt to justify their presence.

And both the best PLs and best CSMs can be distinguished by having enough self-awareness to realize their existence is a charade, that they can stay out of the way 90% of the time, and that they can best serve their organizations by being a chill and approachable sounding board for problems.

(Full disclosure - I was *not* a good PL 😟. Sorry, platoon bros.)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

benem posted:

CSMs and PLs actually have pretty similar roles - they are both entirely unnecessary to their organization's mission, but are told by both themselves and the army that they are REAL IMPORTANT motherfuckers. Thus, they typically spin their wheels and kick up pointless poo poo everywhere in an attempt to justify their presence.

And both the best PLs and best CSMs can be distinguished by having enough self-awareness to realize their existence is a charade, that they can stay out of the way 90% of the time, and that they can best serve their organizations by being a chill and approachable sounding board for problems.

Well, PL's are there to get experience so that they can make it as commanders later in military life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Best PL I ever had was never seen nor heard and only bothered us when he wanted to join us for rucks. He let more experienced NCOs train the dudes and minded his own business.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
We poo poo talking ourselves about when we were PLs?

When I met my PSG he had been running the Platoon solo for 7 months and was the best rated PSG in the Company. I got talked up by the 1SG because I was a former NCO. I took the PSG aside and told him I pretty much know dick about our job, so I look forward to learning from him. He told me all he needed was for me to keep company off his back and he'd make sure we had the best Platoon. I fully understood I was only good at keeping other idiots like myself from loving up our groove. Obviously he taught me a ton of poo poo and was a great NCO, so I lucked the gently caress out.

When I got to PSYOP I had an NCOIC who all the NCOs hated. He would do random call backs on weekends, make people stay until 1800 every night for no reason, volunteer NCOs for chute details, etc. he challenged me on everything, even just releasing people for lunch. I did a coup on him with the next senior most NCO and things went a lot smoother. I would give all the work to the Team Chief and then release them on my own when they were done. Then actual NCOIC was livid and tried to get me fired. Eventually he ended up getting himself set up for an actual fireable offense by berating a female for being a female.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

When I got to PSYOP I had an NCOIC who all the NCOs hated. He would do random call backs on weekends, make people stay until 1800 every night for no reason, volunteer NCOs for chute details, etc. he challenged me on everything, even just releasing people for lunch. I did a coup on him with the next senior most NCO and things went a lot smoother. I would give all the work to the Team Chief and then release them on my own when they were done. Then actual NCOIC was livid and tried to get me fired. Eventually he ended up getting himself set up for an actual fireable offense by berating a female for being a female.

mmm thats the hooah stuff the body craves

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

benem posted:

PLs are pretty necessary in construction units. The platoon leader becomes the project manager and the platoon sergeant becomes the operations manager. Both of those responsibilities are really too much for one person to handle, especially with all of the other Army administrative and operations stuff overlaid on top.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Im going to join the army and make a difference guys.

All troops will have a minimum of 3 negative counseling statements and 1 article 15 under my command.

Discipline ya'unndastand that?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MurderBot posted:

Im going to join the army and make a difference guys.

All troops will have a minimum of 3 negative counseling statements and 1 article 15 under my command.

Discipline ya'unndastand that?

Anybody ever gotten a positive counseling? I hear commander's say that they're possible, but I ain't never seen one.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody ever gotten a positive counseling? I hear commander's say that they're possible, but I ain't never seen one.

I gave a dude a positive counseling for not falling out of a run.

Just to give you an idea of the quality of soldier I had as a team leader.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

spacetoaster posted:

I actually would write some up. I handed out about 1 a month. I would basically pick the guy who kicked the most rear end or improved the most and do a positive 4856 for them. It actually went a long way for morale. It also had the added benefit of helping them with boards. All the 1SGs and CSM would be all excited that the soldier has positive counselings in their packets, then they would cut them more slack on the board.

But, according to my soldiers, I was one of the "good" NCOs. You know, I worked and stuff.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The board is on 8MAR and I have a retarded 28 page study guide of the most boring bits of UCMJ and other regs.

Ugh.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
lol boards

Good luck on your Miss Army Pageant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't forget your 17 pieces of flair!