Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcclay posted:

I'm actually interested in this F&F, considering I have no idea what the drama is with its author. Hes some kind of MRA piece of poo poo and also an abuser, yes?

The next generation of abusers has learned that if you use basic social justice/progressive vocabulary and pay lip service to the right causes a certain percentage of people will reflexively defend you to the death, or at least until it blows up in your face. See Devin Faraci (and Arthur Chu in about six months).

Given that gaming of all sorts is one area where people tend to confuse "having the right political opinions" with "being a worthwhile person to spend time with" it's particularly pernicious here. At least with MRAs you know to avoid them the second they open their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

(and Arthur Chu in about six months).

Hold on, what?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kavak posted:

Hold on, what?

to avoid a derail
he's always been really weirdly aggressive and pathological about proselytizing his views and damning those who don't share them which is a big warning sign

and he has a carefully buried history of extremely hosed up fetishizing of transwomen and trans bodies. more than one trans woman of my personal acquaintance has privately indicated to me that their interactions with him made them nervous in a way they couldn't put their finger on.

basically I expect in a few months one or more young trans activists to come forward with screencaps of him asking them to jerk off on his feet or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I knew absolutely nothing about Arthur Chu until Chapo Trap House discussed him, which was weird.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, it's been a while since I was this uncomfortable reading this thread...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't worry. My Vampire 2e review will transport you back to a magical time when vampires stalked the night but didn't stalk transwomen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I really need to work on the Fragged Empire review just to counteract all this crap.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Been a really rough week in the TG world.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Testify.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Been a really rough week all the time in the TG world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's barely been a week.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

beat me to it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

This is why I don't like knowing about the personal lives of people whose content I consume. I went to the same school as Chu so I hear about him through the grapevine and it ruins anything good he's done for me. I love Gravity Falls but if Alex Hirsch is a creep I don't want to know about it.

It's ok to like things made by people with bad opinions but if someone's a genuine weirdo harasser it makes me uncomfortable to support them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I couldn't remember who he was, so I googled him. Second result started with this: "Arthur Chu is Zoe Quinn's greatest and most inept white knight. Believing himself to be a genius, Chu has gone on a crusade to defend her" so now I don't care and have dropped the matter entirely and will go back to reading FATAL where it's safe.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
FATAL & Friends 2016-17: Go Back to Reading FATAL!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Mr.Misfit posted:

FATAL & Friends 2016-17: Go Back to Reading FATAL!

Okay. How about a WoD fansplat that deliberately chooses the most bland and lazy proper nouns you could think of?

You are The Good Guys! Your Job is to Protect The World from The Bad Guys.

Your Archetypes include "Strong Guy", "Smart Guy", "Sneaky Guy", "Sexy Guy" and "Not Quite As Good As The Other Good Guys But Still A Good Guy"

Your Organisation can be "Corporate Dudes", "Aristocrats", "Church Dudes", "Occult Dudes", "Hippies", "Punks I Guess" and "Nerrrrrrds"

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I knew absolutely nothing about Arthur Chu until Chapo Trap House discussed him, which was weird.

He's made of ants.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doresh posted:

Okay. How about a WoD fansplat that deliberately chooses the most bland and lazy proper nouns you could think of?

Your Archetypes include "Strong Guy", "Smart Guy", "Sneaky Guy", "Sexy Guy" and "Not Quite As Good As The Other Good Guys But Still A Good Guy"

Your Organisation can be "Corporate Dudes", "Aristocrats", "Church Dudes", "Occult Dudes", "Hippies", "Punks I Guess" and "Nerrrrrrds"

No no no no no, the proper nouns have to be in non-english languages, preferably latinate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Doresh posted:

Time to be the worst and quote myself from another thread.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'd be down for Vampire: the Appropriation.

Featuring the vampire clubs of: bullfighter, mocker, trembler, undead, vagabond, witch, and... pot-bellied.

(Because that's roughly the literal meanings of all the original clan names.)

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I love Clan Pot-Bellied.

Kurieg posted:

No no no no no, the proper nouns have to be in non-english languages, preferably latinate.

Some random German dialect. Or Esperanto.

For more exotic options: A mixture of Klingon and Huttese.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mocker, Trembler, Undead, Vagabond, Call me what you wiiiiilllll.

You did that on purpose didn't you ARB?

Doresh posted:

For more exotic options: A mixture of Klingon and Huttese.
Clan Targ?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought the point was to act like all the words in Vampire were modern Italian and then talk like youre from Jersey shore. "You need the vita, bro?? Mangia! Mangia!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing how much bad technical writing flowed out of Gary Gygax reading Jack Vance and Not Getting It, At All.

Was jack Vance good and Gygax bad?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Josef bugman posted:

Well, Vance wasn't writing a game rulebook.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Josef bugman posted:

That Old Tree posted:

Well, Vance wasn't writing a game rulebook.

There's a big difference between technical writing and creative writing. It's perfectly acceptable to have multiple interpretations and long winded metaphorical flourishes in fiction or fluff. But when it is time to write the rules, clarity trumps all. Humans aren't perfect, so Errata and FAQs are necessary. But requiring lengthy errata and FAQs is not desirable.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NutritiousSnack posted:

He's made of ants.

He's a prop for performatively dunking on liberals*. If you do it enough, Trump will just vanish into thin air and we'll get a better candidate than Clinton in the next election!

*A word which here means "milquetoast center-left dude who works at a tech company"

Josef bugman posted:

Gary Gygax's writing is basically considered to be the antithesis of weal

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Doresh posted:

So D20 Modern? :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The only huge Zak S fan I ever met was a dude who would constantly go off about how evil feminists were destroying safe spaces for social outcasts with their purging and criticism of MRAs .

Not surprised he's a shithead

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Alien Rope Burn posted:

(Because that's roughly the literal meanings of all the original clan names.)

Locked in their eternal battle with the monsters of the Sunday, the vampires of Shadow and, uh, Carrot Stew.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

To make a book's worth of literary criticism short: In Vance, the characters' elaborate diction disguises that they're idiots and scumbags.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

DigitalRaven posted:

So D20 Modern? :v:

But that one has levels. That's not serious enough.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Halloween Jack posted:

To make a book's worth of literary criticism short: In Vance, the characters' elaborate diction disguises that they're idiots and scumbags.

This was to the point that the Dying Earth rpg gave you experience for being snippy using florid purple prose.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The only huge Zak S fan I ever met was a dude who would constantly go off about how evil feminists were destroying safe spaces for social outcasts with their purging and criticism of MRAs .

Not surprised he's a shithead

For all that he and his friends claim Zak is the real champion of Progressive beliefs in the hobby, he's been enabling that poo poo for years. His opinions on art boil down to "nobody should give a poo poo about what it means, that's a thing bad artists do to excuse the fact they're bad". He mocks and belittles any game that aims to be something other than "roam around killing monsters and getting treasure" using 40-year-old rules as pointless wankery. On the subject of representation or diversity in the hobby his rhetoric came down to "I'm a true progressive, look at all my friends who are women, anyone who disagrees is a censorious prude doing nothing but virtue signalling". There's everything he wrote in the Dongion.

And oop, suddenly he's involved in a project that has the temerity to include trans characters and touch on issues like Syrian refugees and all these people who think games should be mindless and normative lest they're pushing an agenda are mad. Maybe if he weren't a complete idiot and awful person he might have seen it coming.

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

zak s... bad???

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

zak s... bad???

I'm imagining this as said by the Monster in Frankenstein.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Saguaro PI posted:

Locked in their eternal battle with the monsters of the Sunday, the vampires of Shadow and, uh, Carrot Stew.
"Ehhhhhh. *nibbles* What's up, Drac?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I'm imagining this as said by the Monster in Frankenstein.

"If you're edgy as a knife blade and you need a new writer to give nerds fits"
"ZAK S IS BAAAADDDDDDDD!"

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Saguaro PI posted:

And oop, suddenly he's involved in a project that has the temerity to include trans characters and touch on issues like Syrian refugees and all these people who think games should be mindless and normative lest they're pushing an agenda are mad. Maybe if he weren't a complete idiot and awful person he might have seen it coming.

You just know there's some alternate universe where White Wolf followed the path laid out by Gypsie and gave us just that.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man I really need to work on the Fragged Empire review just to counteract all this crap.
Yes please do, I bought the Protagonist Archive the other day and want more people talking about this dang game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I've been trying to figure out how Cars: The Drivening would handle other splats wanting to drive them. Because of course a Vampire Prince will want the coolest Dragula. Maybe some kind of system where the car and the driver split their resource pools in half? I'd need to know more about nWoD mechanics to make it work, but thematically they all fit.

Vampire living cars are your classic 50s monster movie hotrods, with snarling fangs & tires that can steal blood.
Werewolves form motorcycle gangs, guided by their living bikes, totems of freedom and the open road.
Mages tend to favor mundane looking cars with subtle Atlantean symbols in the hood ornaments and trim, but inside they conceal magical power, often changing shape or revealing strange abilities when a certain word is uttered.
Hunters have been discussed at length, and there are many legendary living cars that team with Hunters.
Demons and their living cars are a fused mass of metal - where does one start and the other begin?
Changlings distrust living cars, finding them an unwholesome echo of their confinement in a world where everything is alive.
Geists get cool ghostly classic cars.