Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Hayes and Sean back on Doughboys HAYES AND SEAN BACK ON DOUGHBOYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
BB-8 is an under-rated Hollywood Handbook joke.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
On this week's one Sean says something like "I'm going to stop down on this". Which I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read this thread beforehand. I really don't think it's a technical term and I really do think you're being insane.

Pat Mustard fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh man, this Dave Thomas episode.

Still have a handful more earlier eps to catch up on.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Oh man, this Dave Thomas episode.

Still have a handful more earlier eps to catch up on.

I always picture the Wendy's founder when I see that name and boy does it make me loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the dave thomas episode comes like 30 episodes in to the run of hollywood handbook and it's amazing that he dives in harder to the concept more than any other guest on the show

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The Dave thomas episode owns. Sometimes i think Julie Klausner plays along a little too hard on hollywood handbook but she was extremely good on this weeks episode

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Pistol Shrimps Radio no longer on Earwolf? On my iTunes there's no eps on the feed and I think there isn't many on the earwolf website. I know it hasn't updated in awhile but just curious if it's no longer on earwolf.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

Is Pistol Shrimps Radio no longer on Earwolf? On my iTunes there's no eps on the feed and I think there isn't many on the earwolf website. I know it hasn't updated in awhile but just curious if it's no longer on earwolf.

I think it's just the off-season.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

I think it's just the off-season.

I know. In retrospect it seems like Earwolf it does go back 6 months which is in line with Howl. I guess I just wasn't sure because in my iTunes there's no episodes in the feed and that seemed weird.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know. In retrospect it seems like Earwolf it does go back 6 months which is in line with Howl. I guess I just wasn't sure because in my iTunes there's no episodes in the feed and that seemed weird.

Might just be iTunes? I checked my feed in Overcast and it's there (it's also on Howl)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Julie Klausner is a fantastic HH guest and really leaned into it this week. Anyone who can crack the boys up is A+ in my book.

Katie Couric also had a great podcast on gender this week, in other Earwolf news :)

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Sean letting Wiger skip him and talk about dessert for ten minutes before "...Niiiick?" "Yes?" "I never said my entrée..." was so good

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I found two examples of the mysterious "stop down" phrase:

Most recent Julie Klausner ep at 1:01.09
PFT, Again at 41:50

I doubt that they are saying pot it down like we previously thought might be the case.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah I just recently listened to the Klausner ep and heard it. Maybe they are making camera references, to be extra hollywoody? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_down

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 390 days!
Scharpling was asking Hayes to "pot him down" when Sean was audibly confused about cooking a egg that is also a dragon, and Scharpling knows alot of old radio lingo :shrug:

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I don't know if I can still rightfully claim to have good, highbrow taste in comedy after laughing so hard at the How To Shower intro segment of today's HH.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
No, it was amazing. You can only shampoo your hair once and you better have a gun. I'm learning a lot about the ins and outs of Hollywood.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tacier posted:

I don't know if I can still rightfully claim to have good, highbrow taste in comedy after laughing so hard at the How To Shower intro segment of today's HH.

When they both bus up laughing at saying "shoot it" about the shampoo. Also some great owns on Wiger's use of twitter. I've really enjoyed all these meta-podcast universe episodes lately. Mitch tried really hard and I think ended up doing pretty great.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

How do funny guys write such lovely movies like Fist Fight and Ride Along? I know that Susser and Van and Jason Mantzoukas are legitimately funny and not some hack screenwriters from Scooby Doo or whatever so why are their movies so bad? I'm just going to blame it all on studio notes

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Ride Along and I love Mantzoukas but It's possible that he's funny at improv and not at screenwriting. I'm sure there are some master violinists who couldn't write a good symphony.
Also, he's one of at least 4 writers on that movie. Who knows what got used and what didn't.

That said goo for him. I enjoy him and hope he makes a ton of money. Even if it's from writing bad movies.

Edit: I'm not going to fix my typo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Creative control is a tricky and rare thing in Hollywood, and the people with the least creative control are screenwriters with very, very few exceptions. Things like Fist Fight and Ride Along aren't passion projects for their writers, they're contract gigs where you're executing someone else's idea on someone else's terms, with a lot of factors that are totally out of your control.

A studio didn't call up Mantzoukas and say "Here's $200,000, write us the funniest film you can about whatever you want!" with Ride Along. They likely said something much more akin to "We are making a movie with Kevin Hart and Ice Cube. It needs to be family friendly film that appeals to urban audiences. Here is the director's vision and several pages of notes we've prepared by committee over the course of initial creative development, we'd like you to translate it into a screenplay. But also here are Kevin Hart and Ice Cube's demands for their characters. Also they will have their assistants constantly rewrite your work to be in the voices of their personas. Make sure you get Kevin Hart's catch phrase in there several times, but not more than Ice Cube's catch prase. We will pay you $50,000 for your first draft, and if we want to keep you on the project we will pay you for each subsequent draft as long as you adhere to our notes. And also several other writers will come in and change large portions of your screenplay before and during filming, but not legally enough so that they get SGA credit."

That's just kinda how it goes. By all accounts it sounds like Katie Dippold wasn't happy that most of her jokes were removed from the Ghostbusters screenplay in favor of action and spectacle, and outside of internet teeth-gnashing people seemed to dig that film. But hey, work is work. And at some point you'll hopefully be able to work with a director who trusts your vision and crafts the screenplay with you while letting your voice through. Screenwriters aren't authors often so much as they are cat wranglers.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's really hard to make a good movie for a number of reasons. Also I think ride along did pretty well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
In the hollywood process, the writer has so little control in the final product.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Creative control is a tricky and rare thing in Hollywood, and the people with the least creative control are screenwriters with very, very few exceptions. Things like Fist Fight and Ride Along aren't passion projects for their writers, they're contract gigs where you're executing someone else's idea on someone else's terms, with a lot of factors that are totally out of your control.

A studio didn't call up Mantzoukas and say "Here's $200,000, write us the funniest film you can about whatever you want!" with Ride Along. They likely said something much more akin to "We are making a movie with Kevin Hart and Ice Cube. It needs to be family friendly film that appeals to urban audiences. Here is the director's vision and several pages of notes we've prepared by committee over the course of initial creative development, we'd like you to translate it into a screenplay. But also here are Kevin Hart and Ice Cube's demands for their characters. Also they will have their assistants constantly rewrite your work to be in the voices of their personas. Make sure you get Kevin Hart's catch phrase in there several times, but not more than Ice Cube's catch prase. We will pay you $50,000 for your first draft, and if we want to keep you on the project we will pay you for each subsequent draft as long as you adhere to our notes. And also several other writers will come in and change large portions of your screenplay before and during filming, but not legally enough so that they get SGA credit."

That's just kinda how it goes. By all accounts it sounds like Katie Dippold wasn't happy that most of her jokes were removed from the Ghostbusters screenplay in favor of action and spectacle, and outside of internet teeth-gnashing people seemed to dig that film. But hey, work is work. And at some point you'll hopefully be able to work with a director who trusts your vision and crafts the screenplay with you while letting your voice through. Screenwriters aren't authors often so much as they are cat wranglers.

That's not how Fist Fight got made at all. They wrote it on spec. And the director Richie Keen, a TV director, fought like hell to get it made. He tells the whole story on Industry Standard podcast. He paid $8,000 out of pocket to put together a ripomatic sizzle reel and used a general meeting to essentially sneak attack an executive into saying "I'm THE guy for this." R-Rated comedies by first-time screenwriters/directors are not first thing on a studio's list.

As for Ride Along, you can tell from the credits that his agent got him the assignment to do a pass on the script and enough was used that he got credit on the script. Ride Along's credits are:

Greg Coolidge ... (screenplay) and
Jason Mantzoukas ... (screenplay) and
Phil Hay ... (screenplay) &
Matt Manfredi ... (screenplay)

Greg Coolidge ... (story)

That means Greg came up with the idea and sold it. Then he wrote a draft. Then Jason wrote a draft. Then Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi wrote a draft. And besides those 4, there was probably another writer or two who did uncredited script doctor work on it.

As for the first guy's question about lovely movies by funny people, a really simple Hollywood rule is: In movies, the director is king. In TV, the writer is king.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 18, 2017

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
In a web series the person with 100 dollars is king.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm listening to the With Special Guest... Generations (Scott+PFT) episode for about the twentieth time. It has to be just about my favourite thing those three have ever made.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm listening to the With Special Guest... Generations (Scott+PFT) episode for about the twentieth time. It has to be just about my favourite thing those three have ever made.

I love that episode. It's insane. Scott doesn't do characters that often but when he does he goes nuts with it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked how Scott grabbed the teenage girl character out from under Lauren at the beginning. Classic Saucermam

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

He operates on a whole nother level of subverting improv that is amazing. His Spontaneanation appearance is similarly great.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

there was a west wing reference on today's hollywood handbook and it made me laugh

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sean talking about how he was an orphan found on a farm and he was a "farmy brat" was very good.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
A few months ago I tried to tell people I was a farmy brat during a meeting a work and it totally bombed. I don't think anyone was even familiar with the term army brat, and my boss kept saying "you didn't grow up on a farm!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You've learned a lesson about trying to bring internet into real life. Don't.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'd say you learned a lesson about not being a liar. Why would you even say you were a farmy brat if you weren't one. Do you think that's funny? Because it's not. It's serious.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the only hollywood handbook bit i've ever brought up in real life was pauly shore calling sean a homo and everyone there totally knew exactly what i was talking about

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
that HH episode was the best in a long time, I hope those guests return at some point. didn't really expect two hosts of an astrology podcast would work so well. the highlights had to be hayes' ongoing problems with carrie anne moss and "so his mouth is writing chex that his body can't cash?"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
That's stealing valor from the real farmy brats like Sean.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you can find a nicher bootleg comedy podcast merch I'd like to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like howl might be on the way out so maybe wladyslaw can get a nice job in the nerdist laboratory or something