Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah and it's shortly before the scariest scene in the whole series where Bilbo turns into a monster. That was also out of place. Why is Bilbo more menacing than literally anything else in the rest of the trilogy. It's a cool scene to show kids though.

Hint: It's scary and menacing precisely because it's unexpected due to the light tone so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's actually scary because it's a cheap jump scare. Peter Jackson should go back to fun movies like The Frighteners.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah and it's shortly before the scariest scene in the whole series where Bilbo turns into a monster. That was also out of place. Why is Bilbo more menacing than literally anything else in the rest of the trilogy. It's a cool scene to show kids though.

Overall I dislike all those movies. Too much boring poo poo that's only there to make the movies long.

I found them less boring than the actual books.

But no it wasn't out of place it was what clued Gandolf in to that maybe something isn't quite right in the Shire.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah that scene straight up makes Gandalf gently caress off for 20 years to figure out if it's the One Ring and if so, who else knows about it. It's really important and kind of kicks off literally the whole series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah that scene straight up makes Gandalf gently caress off for 20 years to figure out if it's the One Ring and if so, who else knows about it. It's really important and kind of kicks off literally the whole series.

Not to mention that it's in the book.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gimli wasn't a joke he killed like a billion million orcs!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In the first lord of the rings why did Gandalf have to hold the balrog back at the bridge? That big thing wasn't getting across it, as soon as he stepped on it it collapsed. They all should have just kept running. Maybe he could have jumped the chasm or something but he seemed pretty slow in general.

Also why weren't there any guard rails on the bridges/stairs down there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In the first lord of the rings why did Gandalf have to hold the balrog back at the bridge? That big thing wasn't getting across it, as soon as he stepped on it it collapsed. They all should have just kept running. Maybe he could have jumped the chasm or something but he seemed pretty slow in general.

Dwarves don't care about OSHA

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Overall I dislike all those movies. Too much boring poo poo that's only there to make the movies long.

Doesn't Bilbo go all monster-face much later on, when he meets up with Frodo again in the Elf city?

I'm pretty sure when he's with Gandalf at the start of the film he just gets all weirdly possessive over the ring, realises he's being crazy, and Gandalf convinces him to leave it behind.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

jabby posted:

Doesn't Bilbo go all monster-face much later on, when he meets up with Frodo again in the Elf city?

I'm pretty sure when he's with Gandalf at the start of the film he just gets all weirdly possessive over the ring, realises he's being crazy, and Gandalf convinces him to leave it behind.

Yeah it's actually Gandalf that comes off a bit scary in the early scene, what with the "Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!" and how giant he looks in the little Hobbit hole.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gandalf wanted the EXP boost

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bilbo says that the ring shouldn't be given up, as it's become "my precious". Gandalf then makes him leave it behind, as this reminds him of Gollem. The monster face at the elf village is just showing Frodo how bad it is.

Also, I figured that the Balrog fell off the breaking bridge because Gandalf weakened it with his spell. The Balrog even snarls as a sort of "that's the best you got?" taunt, and overlooks his poor footing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's been a while since I read the books or saw the movie but I'm pretty sure it actually only starts falling after Gandalf smashes his staff down during that iconic "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!" scene.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like it when Gandalf says "Swords are of no use here" and then proceeds to fight and kill the Balrog with a sword.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:pseudo: Because Balrogs have wings!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Well I bet he feels pretty stupid for letting himself fall all that way then instead of flying back out of the hole

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tolkien got way pissed about balrogs having wings in that animated movie I thought.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or was he more pissed about being dead at the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well I bet he feels pretty stupid for letting himself fall all that way then instead of flying back out of the hole

"Fly you fool" is one of those running wizard jokes, lot like calling out "hey idiot" and making fun of anyone who responds.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gandalf had to kill it because otherwise he would have joined Sauron's army and wrecked everyone's poo poo. Same reason Gandalf orchestrated all the events of the Hobbit, because he knew the dark lord was coming and he wanted Smaug dead before that happened.

According to Reddit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
But where does Jar Jar fit in?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

flatluigi posted:

I think he's a street performer now.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mu Zeta posted:

The Witchking of Angmar is menacing as gently caress though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Dwarves don't care about OSHA

People always try to equate the races of middle earth with religions and ethnicities but the truth is dwarves were republicans.

Their women? All beards.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

synthetik posted:

I think he's a street performer now.

I love that this is 100% true. Jar Jar's fate was to be a homeless street clown everyone hates.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

I read a click bait article about a fan theory that proved he orchestrated the fall of the rise of the sith and fall of the Jedi so presumably whatever you do after that.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Even odds that he's the true form of Master Snoke.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

flatluigi posted:

He's the key to all of this, cause he's a funnier character than we've ever had before.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

syscall girl posted:

People always try to equate the races of middle earth with religions and ethnicities but the truth is dwarves were republicans.

Their women? All beards.

:drat:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

It's actually scary because it's a cheap jump scare. Peter Jackson should go back to fun movies like The Frighteners.

I wish he would go back to making movies like Bad Taste and Dead Alive.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tunicate posted:

Quite possibly :thejoke: but this is a point of some contention :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

Their women? All beards.

:thurman:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Away all Goats posted:

I like it when Gandalf says "Swords are of no use here" and then proceeds to fight and kill the Balrog with a sword.

No he used a hammer.

:haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My irrationally irritating moment is that after Gandalf says,"I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside", neither Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli whisper,"Holy poo poo that's badass...."

I always loved that line :allears:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
To them that's just another day on the farm.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Away all Goats posted:

"Legendaries or GTFO".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Away all Goats posted:

After the sword had been hit by lightning. I don't think Aragirn could have pulled that off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

My irrationally irritating moment is that after Gandalf says,"I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside", neither Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli whisper,"Holy poo poo that's badass...."

I always loved that line :allears:

I always heard it as "smelt" so the line seemed less badass and more gross because it's probably been a while since that balrog took a shower plus he's rotting now.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gandalf was a Maiar which is basically an angel made by Eru. One of Gandalf's main goals is too wipe all traces of Melkor's creations off the face of Middle Earth. He didn't have to seek the Balrog out, but once we was face to face with it he really had no choice but to destroy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Away all Goats posted:

But he didn't do it there.