Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
audiobooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'd suggest reading something fun before you get into the esoteric poo poo. Good Omens and American Gods are indeed fun books. I also really like Larry McMurtry's westerns, Lonesome Dove and its sequels.

If you can find something that gets you turning pages, then you can get into something later that makes you think. That's my two cents.

But Ready Player One is pretty awful.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You have to spend several months grinding your reading level on 'fun' books about quirky mythological creatures in a contemporary world before you read books where you do some 'thinking'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hooplah posted:

I haven't read that one but you're probably right.

It good! I think most or all of them were articles in Scientific American. A few of them are very obviously Cold Warry, but that's, you know, understandable from a man who was terrified or nuclear annihilation happening in his lifetime.

It also makes a serviceable doorstop or bludgeoning weapon. There are a LOT of individual essays.

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chamberk posted:

esoteric poo poo

why is everything outside genre fiction esoteric poo poo

OP you may have run off but if you did not maybe something playful/wistful like short stories by Marquez (the handsomest drowned man in the world, a very old man with enormous wings), Kafka (description of a struggle, the hunger artist), or the novel Kangaroo Notebook by Kobo Abe

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
gently caress it, since we're all just freestylin':

If you want a cool PROJECT type book, you could try Infinite Jest. It's one of those "hardcore modern lit" books, but bear with me:

It's actually not that crazy. Think of it as basically Royal Tenenbaums mixed with an Irvine Welsh story mixed with vague Hamlet references. Among a bunch of other stuff like wheelchair-bound assassins.

It's a cool book. I'm really selling it short.

My point is this:

Since you haven't given us literally anything to work with, we're all going to swing wildly.

So. You can take Infinite Jest as more of a project than a straight-up read, treating it like a big puzzle and piecing it together using the SHOCKING amount of resources available for 1st time IJ readers.

(Check out Infinite Summer and some of the online wikis to read along with. )

Or you can just read Ready Player One: "The Hey Memba Old Video Games? You Sure Are a Smart!" extravaganza.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you don't want to get into erdogic lit because it is too esoteric, try the classics. A lot of them aren't far removed from genre fiction. It's just that they are like fanboys of other poo poo.

Read Tolstoy's comparisons of "Homer" vs "Shakespeare" but replace them with "Star Trek" and "Star Wars". Tolstoy is goon supreme, so start there. But he's maybe a little too sincere for the modern ironic detached type, so go with "Dead Souls" by Gogol instead. Or if you want it to play with modern media in a failed but dick-waving way try the Red Wheel series by Solzhenitsyn. August 1914 is a great book and also fanfic supreme, including parts where he gives up halfway through and just writes stage direction for the animu in his mind.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

weab00 posted:

There was once a time when I would gobble up a book a week. I read voraciously and would spend my afternoons darting my eyes across pages, sometimes on the edge of my seat, and other times weeping. After buying a Macbook Air, though, I started to read less and less. It got to the point where I read maybe a book or so every two months. Now when I try to read, my mind begins to wonder after just one page, and when I do try to bring myself back, everything is just so bland to me. The internet has ruined my ability to pay attention to a book. Books are simply dull to me now

Another problem I have is finding the right book. Whether it's the book or it's me, I can't seem to find a genre that I enjoy. Back when I was into reading, I enjoyed fantasy and realistic fiction.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to get back into reading. I want to lose myself in the pages of a book and suddenly jerk back into reality at the sound of a car passing by. I want to be emotionally invested in the characters and their conflicts. Yet when I try to read, it's simply too mind-numbing for me to go on.

I should also clarify that the last time I was passionate about reading was around 2 years ago.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like you need to make reading easy, specifically easier than playing around on your MacBook Air.

Buy a kindle and download a bunch of random free books and keep it in your pocket and read whenever you have a spare moment. No matter what you do, there's likely a lot of time in your day where you don't have time to internet or don't have internet access. Fill that time with a kindle. If you don't want to get a kindle, get a kindle app for your smartphone.

I'd point to the Books of the Month for the past few years as good general recommendations, many of them free on kindle or other ebook formats.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 22, 2017

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Shbobdb posted:

But he's maybe a little too sincere for the modern ironic detached type, so go with "Lost Souls" by Gogol instead.

That's not the name of the book.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

pepperoni and keys posted:

That's not the name of the book.

Thanks, it's been corrected.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

experimental literature. 'ergodic lit' is an a) an unnecessary neologism, because it improves in little to no way upon the extant term 'experimental lit' and b) very poorly chosen, because ergodicity and ergodic theory are already established terms with meanings long predating the word's (very different) application to lit

I'm not quite sure how I like the term ergodic lit but plain "experimental" doesn't really pass muster here. I mean literature described as ergodic is experimental but specifically in a way that the actual act of reading requires non-trivial effort. And anyway, the term fills a niche and if it catches on it doesn't really matter if it has different established meanings in different spheres. I agree it's far from perfect though since there seems to be no other common features in "ergodic" lit than funky typography/layout. So maybe it'll never really catch on because it is not really necessary to have a specific term for such books. And I have gone full circle and am currently devouring my own tail.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jerome Agricola posted:

I mean literature described as ergodic is experimental but specifically in a way that the actual act of reading requires non-trivial effort.

that applies to a lot of literature that you wouldn't call ergodic as well though

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jerome Agricola posted:

I agree it's far from perfect though since there seems to be no other common features in "ergodic" lit than funky typography/layout. So maybe it'll never really catch on because it is not really necessary to have a specific term for such books.

Typographic novels? Layoutrature?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Infinite Jest: ergodic or not?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The badness of it certainly requires a non trivial effort to get through.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It sounds to me like you need to make reading easy, specifically easier than playing around on your MacBook Air.

Buy a kindle and download a bunch of random free books and keep it in your pocket and read whenever you have a spare moment. No matter what you do, there's likely a lot of time in your day where you don't have time to internet or don't have internet access. Fill that time with a kindle. If you don't want to get a kindle, get a kindle app for your smartphone.

I'd point to the Books of the Month for the past few years as good general recommendations, many of them free on kindle or other ebook formats.

yeah actually your probably used to reading stuff on a screen as opposed to on paper which is kinda different. like your reading poo poo right now no problem right? the lighting, feel, and even the headspace your in is a bit different right down to how you process the information. ebooks might be worth a shot you can download ones onto your mac instead of buying something else hell even your phone is going to have an app for it try that see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I definitely read a lot more now that I have an ereader that fits in my back pocket rather than when I was lugging around big stupid books from the library all the time

• Locked thread