Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

signalnoise posted:

If I wanted to get a single-din stereo because I honestly just don't need a double-din, what are my options for filling up the other slot with something functional?

Most mounting kits include a storage pocket. That's about what you're limited to these days; in the 80s and 90s you could sometimes stuff an EQ in there, or a CD player if you had purchased a cassette player (and vice versa), but it's been a long time since I saw anything like that.

You could also stuff a cupholder in there; I know at one time you could yank the cupholders from a.. 80s Taurus? and install them in the lower half of the DIN opening. Looks like ebay is full of "din cup holders" now, but I have no idea how well those would work with a mounting kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Looks like ebay is full of "din cup holders" now, but I have no idea how well those would work with a mounting kit.

A lot of DIN fillers come with a multitude of mounting points on the sides in an "at least one of these should line up" fashion.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What's the current situation with receivers with GPS? I've had a Garmin Nuvi for 9 years and I'm pretty sick of it falling down, and just being old in general. A lot of the receivers I've looked at seem to have some sort of off brand GPS in them which I'm not sure if I trust. Is it worth it to go with something that uses Garmin tech or another recognizable brand?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IMO, you're better off getting a head unit that has Android Auto or CarPlay, and using Google Maps or Waze. Don't have to deal with updating the head unit's maps that way, or any kind of subscription service.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I planned to get something with Android Auto just for better integration. The issue I have with something that needs data to work is that I sometimes go off in the sticks where there isn't great service, if any, and Google Maps offline data was kind of a pain in the rear end last time I checked.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Casimir Radon posted:

I planned to get something with Android Auto just for better integration. The issue I have with something that needs data to work is that I sometimes go off in the sticks where there isn't great service, if any, and Google Maps offline data was kind of a pain in the rear end last time I checked.

I dunno if it's different on android, but in iOS google maps you just select the area you want to capture and it will save it for offline use. It can even do offline navigation, it just won't take traffic into account. I use it a lot, and it's been mostly fine. Occasional hiccups, but better than anything else I've tried.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's a good resource for telling how much power or whatever I need or shouldn't have for my car audio? Right now I'm just replacing a couple speakers with better speakers, but if I wanted to add more poo poo to it I wouldn't know where to begin because I don't know about electricity.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

I dunno if it's different on android, but in iOS google maps you just select the area you want to capture and it will save it for offline use. It can even do offline navigation, it just won't take traffic into account. I use it a lot, and it's been mostly fine. Occasional hiccups, but better than anything else I've tried.

It's the same on Android. You just drag a map around when telling it what areas to download for offline use.

I use Google Maps every day for work, and some drives take me to BFE where neither phone works (one is on T-Mobile, one is on AT&T/Cricket).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

signalnoise posted:

What's a good resource for telling how much power or whatever I need or shouldn't have for my car audio? Right now I'm just replacing a couple speakers with better speakers, but if I wanted to add more poo poo to it I wouldn't know where to begin because I don't know about electricity.

You match RMS rating to RMS rating, speakers to amplifier, as well as match ohm ratings (not as important because most consumer stuff uses the same ohm ratings now).

Anything that requires an amplifier will require running a power line from the battery, that's gauged to the total amperage you're going to draw through the line. If you go through the trouble I'd just run a nice fat one so you don't have to run a new line if you upgrade in the future.

You need an in-line fuse near the amplifiers to protect the line, I usually run a 1-2 or 1-4 box at that junction so I can feed to multiple amplifiers if needed. You can start with one and only fuse and wire the output for that junction and go up as needed.

When you go with an external amplifier, you want to make sure you use common ground, or you'll get a ground loop which really sucks for sound quality. In my case I just grounded my amps to the seat belt bolt on one of my rear seats.

You'll have to run a remote turn-on line from your audio source to your amps. This is pretty east to re-crimp and tee as you add more amps. This tells the amps to turn on when the audio source turns on, and off when the source turns off. Otherwise your amps will be always off (pointless), or always on (drains battery).

You'll need to run signal wires from your audio source to your amps, it's just standard RCA, although I try to use higher grade wiring since a car has a lot of poo poo bouncing around that can bleed in to audio which will give you a bad time.

Running wiring from amps to speakers can be really easy to really complicated depending on:
- Where your amps are placed in relation to the speakers
- The stock audio set up
- how much of a pain in the rear end it is to run wiring in your car.
In short, you either need to run wire from the amps direct to the speakers, or patch it in the factory wiring at some point. Which one is more optimal depends a lot on the vehicle and how good the factory wiring is (usually lovely but sometimes you get lucky).

Then you have to set your amplifiers depending on what kind of audio frequencies they're handling (either through a low pass/high pass/all switch or via an actual hardware crossover) then tune the gain settings.

OR/THEN you can set the EQ/Crossover on your audio source, depending on how featured/quality it is.

There's a whole lot of "how do I?" guidance out there, or you can use Crutchfield's audio guides. Crutchfield does a pretty good write up on how to install and tune audio; they're free if you buy a matching piece of gear, or you can buy them separate for a couple bucks.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Raluek posted:

My built-in (Microsoft) lets you download maps for entire states/provinces/whatever that are stored for offline use.

Or when I went to Canada I just set my destination in Waze when I was on Wi-Fi, then found another access point when I was ready to go somewhere else. Worked pretty well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

I'm looking to put an aftermarket deck in an s2000 this spring. Integrating the steering wheel controls are mandatory, crutchfield is spitting out "PAC SWI-RC" to do the job. Anyone with experience with this and if its decent/provides full functionality?

The other option seems to be this, which is a lot more expensive:

http://www.modifry.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_46

Is there some reason to spring for the more expensive Modrify one? It's not clear to me why they'd make this specialized thing for just one vehicle.
I'll likely get the s2000 specific thing as it claims to have speed audio adjustment and nothing else seems to.

I have to pick a 1DIN stereo replacement for this. Preferring digital media only receiver but I'd like it to have HD Radio as well as a screen that can properly say words of songs on it when playing via bluetooth.

Also have a strong preference for the type of screen that is made up of dots/pixels for better display of text vs the types that are more fixed square letters.

No intent to add any additional amps or anything, just its built in amp to power door speakers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

falz posted:

I'll likely get the s2000 specific thing as it claims to have speed audio adjustment and nothing else seems to.

I have to pick a 1DIN stereo replacement for this. Preferring digital media only receiver but I'd like it to have HD Radio as well as a screen that can properly say words of songs on it when playing via bluetooth.

Also have a strong preference for the type of screen that is made up of dots/pixels for better display of text vs the types that are more fixed square letters.

No intent to add any additional amps or anything, just its built in amp to power door speakers.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd149bt/
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-80PRS
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt958hd/
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt858u/

Took about 10 minutes.

It looks like Clarion still has some "slider" models if you want to have a full size screen.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I had primarily been searching on Crutchfield, I don't think any of those showed up there. While I clearly did not list price anywhere in my criteria, the Alpine and Pioneer seem to be about $ double than expected.

I thought I may be saving money by getting one that's media only but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not in those models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's hard to find one with the HD radio tuner built in. If you eliminate that requirement you'll get a lot more. Haven't researched if you can just add on one. They used to only be that way. The Alpine at least is definitely on Crutchfield and is $300 there. The model below it was $120 cheaper so I got that, but it has that 7-segment style display which kind of sucks but isn't worth the $120 difference. It displays the Artist and Title and the same time but not the play time.

edit: and it's a lot easier to just find one with a CD player. I don't think any of the single DIN media only receivers have a fancy display.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's counterintuitively cheaper to get one with a CD player still. Probably due to scale.

I have this in my WJ. Works great and meets all of your requirements other than it also has a CD player. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8700BH

I need to get a photo of it in action one of these days. Smashing Pumpkins song showed up as "Bullet With Butt" :laugh:

Edit: I'm a child.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 19, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it's counterintuitively cheaper to get one with a CD player still. Probably due to scale.

I have this in my WJ. Works great and meets all of your requirements other than it also has a CD player. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8700BH

I need to get a photo of it in action one of these days. Smashing Pumpkins song showed up as "Bullet With Butt" :laugh:

Oh that's so weird. I looked it up on Crutchfield and they no longer have it there, and the replacement model they suggest doesn't have a dot matrix screen. WTF. Not a bad price. How do you advance tracks with it? Does the knob move?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The silver ring around the volume knob twists forward / back. 99% of the time I use my steering wheel controls. It's been a while so I'm sure it's no longer in production.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Joying Android based double din units?

Debating on one of these versus a brand name unit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

falz posted:

I had primarily been searching on Crutchfield, I don't think any of those showed up there. While I clearly did not list price anywhere in my criteria, the Alpine and Pioneer seem to be about $ double than expected.

I thought I may be saving money by getting one that's media only but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not in those models.

Your specifications give you pretty limited options. If you step down to a more basic LED display your options open considerably.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Is this the right place to ask about other aftermarket AV stuff? Specifically I'm thinking about installing a backup camera into my 2002 CR-V (colour: champagne). Are the ones that come with the custom cover for your rear-view mirror any good or should I be looking at getting a new head unit that can display the feed? Are there any decent single-din units with backup camera integration, or is the screen too small to be useful? Should I just get a double din in if I want a rear-view cam? I already have an aftermarket single din but it's nothing special. Is there anything to look for when buying the actual camera?

Edit: Would a single-din with a flip-out screen make more sense if I already have a single-din mounting kit installed?

Reposting from last page

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I don't have too much experience with mirror cameras, but i find that the aftermarket touchscreen receivers are often slow and infuriating to use on the move. If you do decide to go that route, consider a unit that has physical controls for the most used features like maybe this one https://www.crutchfield.com/p_423AUSTIN/Blaupunkt-Austin-440.html?tp=72430. I don't know that particular unit though.

I would probably try the mirror route if you are otherwise happy with your current receiver.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Your specifications give you pretty limited options. If you step down to a more basic LED display your options open considerably.

Seems that way. Perhaps I'll focus more on characters/lines of display instead of blocks vs pixels and accept that it may have CD.

So far this seems to be at top of the list I guess:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8800BHS

Car in storage for a few more months, will wait a bit to see if anything else changes or comes out during that time

(edit: this in particular is not yet available: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kmm-bt518hd/)

Most of these advertise 50watts but it looks like that's peak, reality is it's more like 15 in some or 22 in others. Anyone think there's noticable difference on the higher RMS if just using stock speakers?

falz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 19, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can't say I'm happy with Crutchfield after my first order. They told me I would need some parts that I don't need, they didn't include my butt connectors in the order but charged me for them, and the instructions they sent were inaccurate. What the gently caress

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had issues with Crutchfield's installation sheet too, though it was fairly minor - the sheet completely missed a couple of the screws in my door panels. I'm guessing it was more of a difference between coupe vs sedan than anything.

falz posted:

Most of these advertise 50watts but it looks like that's peak, reality is it's more like 15 in some or 22 in others. Anyone think there's noticable difference on the higher RMS if just using stock speakers?

No. Your stock head unit likely puts out even less power. I have an older version of that head unit (8600BH), and it gets loud enough to hurt my ears, even with aftermarket speakers.

Glad to see they brought back preset buttons on the 8xxx line, the 8600 doesn't have them. Just an up/down button to go through them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 19, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

falz posted:

Seems that way. Perhaps I'll focus more on characters/lines of display instead of blocks vs pixels and accept that it may have CD.

So far this seems to be at top of the list I guess:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8800BHS

Car in storage for a few more months, will wait a bit to see if anything else changes or comes out during that time

(edit: this in particular is not yet available: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kmm-bt518hd/)

Alpine made a single din "media receiver" several years ago that didn't have CD and had a full-color LCD screen in it that showed album art and such:

IDAX305S
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WEyHvFL87W7/p_500IDA305S/Alpine-iDA-X305S.html

Looks like you'd have to buy a bluetooth adapter for this one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

prom candy posted:

Reposting from last page

If you have a 2-din opening and are going to upgrade, I'd suggest a 2-din receiver unless you really need to use the glasses pocket. The pull-out/motorized designs just give you another potential point of failure, and it'll likely cover something important when open.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think I'll check out one of the mirror based ones, I really only want rear cam and a decent double din is a lot of cash. Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Looking to get a bluetooth adapter for my car, something like this.

All I want it for is listening, not making calls. I had a cheaper version, but it only lasted a few months before falling apart. This one has better reviews. Anybody have any opinions, positive or negative, on it?

vv beautiful, thanks

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 20, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no experience with them but the wirecutter did a thing on bluetooth kits and I think they're a pretty good resource on this kind of stuff: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-kits-for-every-car-stereo/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jackpot posted:

All I want it for is listening, not making calls. I had a cheaper version, but it only lasted a few months before falling apart. This one has better reviews. Anybody have any opinions, positive or negative, on it?

vv beautiful, thanks

I had that exact same adapter - the sound quality was downright terrible.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I know it's one of those questions but I'd still like to hear some AI opinions on it for the context. How important is the head unit?

I got my new old WRX a little over a week ago now, the PO had put in a big 2-DIN GPS/TV combo which I had planned on replacing with a 2-DIN from Pioneer so I could get aux and USB. However my girlfriend has decided she quite likes the TV so I looked it up and the external input on the head should allow me to rig up an aux cable fairly easily. My problem though is the head was not really ever meant for any extensive music listening, the audio settings are pitiful and the output wattage is a little less than even a standard cheapy head. I will be attaching some nicer speakers and small powered sub but I'm wondering how much I'll be missing by not upgrading the head as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah you gave it to me, lol. It's annoying to have to turn it on and off all the time. If you're going to have it in your car, just get one that turns on while plugged in.

I see they have Bluetooth adapters with displays on them now, but I want one without a speakerphone.

edit: Anker's website certificate has been revoked? WTF

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 20, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That MPow was making me hit a button to pair it every loving time I got in the car.

This Vic Tsing thing I loving love: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZZ17D0733

I've been using it for 3 years now. The audio cable they include sucks, I used a different audio cable that shipped with a Dell PC and then the audio quality was great and all my phones have auto-paired to it.

Edit: gently caress, sorry, looks like they're out of production anywhere. I can't attest to their newer model.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

I know it's one of those questions but I'd still like to hear some AI opinions on it for the context. How important is the head unit?

I got my new old WRX a little over a week ago now, the PO had put in a big 2-DIN GPS/TV combo which I had planned on replacing with a 2-DIN from Pioneer so I could get aux and USB. However my girlfriend has decided she quite likes the TV so I looked it up and the external input on the head should allow me to rig up an aux cable fairly easily. My problem though is the head was not really ever meant for any extensive music listening, the audio settings are pitiful and the output wattage is a little less than even a standard cheapy head. I will be attaching some nicer speakers and small powered sub but I'm wondering how much I'll be missing by not upgrading the head as well.

Output wattage on the head unit no longer matters once you go to an external amp, so you're just looking how good the eq is on the head unit for audio tuning. A somewhat quality amp will have crossover settings to help dial the speakers in to their best range.

The head unit should be dead-easy to change out if you decide it doesn't fit your needs, so I'd say just keep it for now if it has the features you want and try it with the upgraded audio. Swap it out with something else if/when you decide it doesn't have the features or quality you want.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jackpot posted:

vv beautiful, thanks

I've put two Amazon Basics bluetooth receivers in my car and my wife's car. Works extremely well, and since its input voltage is 5 VDC it will run off of a USB charger if you either splice the barrel connector from the power supply that comes with it onto the "A" side of a USB cable, or buy a USB to 4.0 x 1.7mm barrel connector cable.

Only real drawbacks are you have to push a button to put it into pair mode (so you can't bury it under the dash somewhere) and it will only pair to one device at a time (have to put it into pair mode if you want to use a different device.) Otherwise no complaints.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

jackpot posted:

vv beautiful, thanks

Why not just use an aux cable? I used one like that for awhile and I got sick of it dying on me while I was driving.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mariooncrack posted:

Why not just use an aux cable? I used one like that for awhile and I got sick of it dying on me while I was driving.

usual reply;

"because cables are ugly and I hate them!"

*happily has a bunch of gadgets that do the job worse and for more money*

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

In my case I put my phone in a dock on the far left of the windshield and installing the BT receiver was easier than dragging a stereo cable under the dash and up through a gap. Also now I don't have to plug the phone in twice - connect the charging cable that's attached to the dock and I'm good to go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's the chance I'll get the next owner of my car after my rear end if I don't tell him that on my first attempt at installing a new car stereo, I misunderstood the instructions and clipped all of the cables on the factory wire harness and directly wired it into the stereo's wire harness without an adapter?

Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As someone who just had to deal with this, if you include the headunit and everything works, not a big deal. If you put the stock radio back in and don't disclose why it doesn't work, you deserve whatever the new owner does to you.