Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I want to say, every time I see a Minbari cruiser floating around the station and I realize it's actually behind it, I'm still gobsmacked at how enormous those things are. Tip to tip they must be at least two or three miles, if B5 is five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it's a plot point, but I love how the Minbari warrior caste hates Sheridan for being dishonorable about seeding nukes on asteroids, when the Black Star was gunning for them specifically because they were sending out a distress signal saying they were harmless.

You reap what you sow, assholes.

(my favorite moment in the entire series is when he does it again to the Vorlons and the Shadows. 'They're pissed" indeed.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was in Japan and they still have Zima there, so I tried one.

It was as disappointing as I expected. This is my Babylon 5 story I hope you enjoyed it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MisterBibs posted:

I know it's a plot point, but I love how the Minbari warrior caste hates Sheridan for being dishonorable about seeding nukes on asteroids, when the Black Star was gunning for them specifically because they were sending out a distress signal saying they were harmless.

You reap what you sow, assholes.

(my favorite moment in the entire series is when he does it again to the Vorlons and the Shadows. 'They're pissed" indeed.

Minbari are extremely hypocritical in general, the Warriors doubly so. Like, they almost committed xenocide! It's only because of a last-minute lucky break humanity survived.

I just finished "A voice in the wilderness". Nearing the end of Season 1. I'll miss bald Delenn and Sinclair, but I'll be happy to see Sheridan again and more mister Morden.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hahaha, I never expected the Giant from Twin Peaks to show up in Babylon 5! The Episode is Soul Mates for the curious.

Sheridan feels like a natural fit very fast, and it's funny seeing the dude picked by the bad president to control Babylon 5 turning out to be as impossible to control and principled as the previous guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, I never expected the Giant from Twin Peaks to show up in Babylon 5! The Episode is Soul Mates for the curious.

Sheridan feels like a natural fit very fast, and it's funny seeing the dude picked by the bad president to control Babylon 5 turning out to be as impossible to control and principled as the previous guy.

It's pretty funny when you think about it. Sheridan had this big war hero reputation for sticking it to the aliens so it's a perfect choice for a quick replacement and for Clarke to show how "Earth First" he is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We just had to buy a new season 2 because of some scratched discs, but they're only like $18 on Amazon.

Maybe if we buy enough of them we'll get interest from WB for a remaster... right guys? Right? :negative:

I bet if B5 was selling big the execs at WB would just say "well hell, they're already selling great, why bother spending any money on it??"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

pentyne posted:

It's pretty funny when you think about it. Sheridan had this big war hero reputation for sticking it to the aliens so it's a perfect choice for a quick replacement and for Clarke to show how "Earth First" he is.

Yeah, and Sheridan even has a much more cowboy attitude than Sinclair. It's just that he'S fundamentally a good guy and not a racist, so Clarke's plan is bungled completely at the start, it's amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, and Sheridan even has a much more cowboy attitude than Sinclair. It's just that he'S fundamentally a good guy and not a racist, so Clarke's plan is bungled completely at the start, it's amazing.

Actually it's a major plot point. Sheridan's profile reads like hardline Earth-first without actually being so, which was perfect for the Earth Alliance faction investigating Santiago's assassination to nudge him into the position.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And the Minbari hated him for what he did in the Earth-Minbari war, kinda funny how that choice turned out.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Angry Lobster posted:

And the Minbari hated him for what he did in the Earth-Minbari war, kinda funny how that choice turned out.

That's what Minbari War Syndrome does to you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually it's a major plot point. Sheridan's profile reads like hardline Earth-first without actually being so, which was perfect for the Earth Alliance faction investigating Santiago's assassination to nudge him into the position.

Yeah, I get that. Bester even says that he was told the new guy would play ball and he's disappointed he's not.

Also, first appearance of Zack in the background!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Watching "The Coming of Shadows" now. You can pinpoint the exact moment Londo realizes he's made a huge mistake and his soul dies inside.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, Minbari hypocrisy is still as infuriating as I remember. They hate Sheridan for... fighting back? They replace Delenn with loving Neiroon, despite being ready to name her leader just a weeks prior, it's amazing.

Also, never trust someone who says he never lies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also, never trust someone who says he never lies.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, Minbari hypocrisy is still as infuriating as I remember. They hate Sheridan for... fighting back? They replace Delenn with loving Neiroon, despite being ready to name her leader just a weeks prior, it's amazing.

[...]

There is a method to their "hypocrisy".
1) They hate Sheridan for luring a battleship into a trap instead of facing it head-on. They donīt hate him for fighting, but for winning with a "dirty trick".
2) They had to replace the position, thats how the Council works, and thereīs always a number two for these cases. In this case, the Warrior Caste simply used some muscle to get Neiroon in instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

There is a method to their "hypocrisy".
1) They hate Sheridan for luring a battleship into a trap instead of facing it head-on. They donīt hate him for fighting, but for winning with a "dirty trick".
2) They had to replace the position, thats how the Council works, and thereīs always a number two for these cases. In this case, the Warrior Caste simply used some muscle to get Neiroon in instead.

It's still hypocrisy though. When you have an overwhelming technical advantage, you don't get to talk about fair fights.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's still hypocrisy though. When you have an overwhelming technical advantage, you don't get to talk about fair fights.

Why isn't there a Minbari History Month?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There's no i in Neroon (but there is one in Grey Council?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's actually not true, as the Humans challenged the Minbari to combat so it's their own fault they got slaughtered by Minbari standards. The humans really pissed them off with the double-insult of attacking when they were displaying a gesture of respect (flying with gunports open), and offing their most respected leader in the first volley.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually not true, as the Humans challenged the Minbari to combat so it's their own fault they got slaughtered by Minbari standards. The humans really pissed them off with the double-insult of attacking when they were displaying a gesture of respect (flying with gunports open), and offing their most respected leader in the first volley.

Getting angry at "tricks" when your ships are basically immune to them otherwise is being really bitter about the other guy daring to fight back.

Now onto the next episode, the one with the TV Show framing device, and I see the dockworker from season one is still there! Woo.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
God, I wish dock worker strikes in real life got resolved as cleanly as in this show.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, that Sheridan speech at the end of the episode is loving great. The bit about looking at our ancestors and then at our inheritors got to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Angry Lobster posted:

God, I wish dock worker strikes in real life got resolved as cleanly as in this show.

The people in charge in real life give less of a poo poo than Sinclair does

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angry Lobster posted:

I love the way that one gets resolved; You want me to read the riot act?

You absolutely certain you want me to read the riot act and deal with this situation however I deem fit?

Alright then... :flipoff:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the way that one gets resolved; You want me to read the riot act?

You absolutely certain you want me to read the riot act and deal with this situation however I deem fit?

Alright then... :flipoff:

Such a big, beautiful gently caress You to authoritarianism. As I recall, that's the episode JMS' wife wrote. It's certainly a standout, standalone episode for S1.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Getting angry at "tricks" when your ships are basically immune to them otherwise is being really bitter about the other guy daring to fight back.

Now onto the next episode, the one with the TV Show framing device, and I see the dockworker from season one is still there! Woo.

Its been awhile since I watched In the Beginning, but wasn't the ship Sheriden blew up also using the same trick he ended up doing? I'm fairly certain I remember there was a smaller Minbari ship that pretended to be in trouble to lure earth ships out in the open, and then that great big battle cruiser jumped in to kill them all.

And Sheridens ship only survived thanks to plot convenience luck, enabling him to play dead and lure that ship into range of the nuclear bomb he rigged up. That is how it went down right?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Minbari pulling a "fine for me but not for thee" is about the most in character move they could possibly make.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One thing I dug about B5 is that at some point during the Earth/Minbari war, even the rear end in a top hat warrior caste was beginning to think this poo poo wasn't so fun because they were wrecking poo poo way too easily.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So I've recently started a rewatch of the series because, due to the recent political climate, it is nice to see a brush with fascism that I know will eventually have a happy ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hangedman1984 posted:

So I've recently started a rewatch of the series because, due to the recent political climate, it is nice to see a brush with fascism that I know will eventually have a happy ending.

Better hope there's a fleet of ships ready to deal with the Scorched Earth suicide then. :stonklol:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if the ending is all that happy. Certainly hopeful though.

And then from the look of Earth, the series is pretty pessimistic about the way we're headed in general.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if the ending is all that happy. Certainly hopeful though.

And then from the look of Earth, the series is pretty pessimistic about the way we're headed in general.

Any story that posits humanity making it off Earth in significant numbers is far more optimistic than is warranted.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baka-nin posted:

Its been awhile since I watched In the Beginning, but wasn't the ship Sheriden blew up also using the same trick he ended up doing? I'm fairly certain I remember there was a smaller Minbari ship that pretended to be in trouble to lure earth ships out in the open, and then that great big battle cruiser jumped in to kill them all.

And Sheridens ship only survived thanks to plot convenience luck, enabling him to play dead and lure that ship into range of the nuclear bomb he rigged up. That is how it went down right?

I can't remember if it was B5, maybe In The Beginning, or if I'm conflating it with like the Clone Wars or something, but I seem to recall the Minbari shooting down escape pods too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I can't remember if it was B5, maybe In The Beginning, or if I'm conflating it with like the Clone Wars or something, but I seem to recall the Minbari shooting down escape pods too.

I don't think anything like that is directly stated. However, the Minbari were absolutely waging a war of total extermination, so, shooting down lifepods was probably matter of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think anything like that is directly stated. However, the Minbari were absolutely waging a war of total extermination, so, shooting down lifepods was probably matter of course.

I wouldn't be surprised by it either. Delenn even said that they, as a race, "went mad" during the war.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This thread has got me really wanting to rewatch B5, but out here in Hong Kong we can't get it on Amazon Prime. Any Asia Goons know of a way to watch it in this region?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only legal way would be to buy DVDs. I guess you could try futzing with VPNs too but I've heard they detect that now and block it. Maybe that's just Netflix?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

I think they may have been an off handed mention of the Centauri doing that during their Narn conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

This thread has got me really wanting to rewatch B5, but out here in Hong Kong we can't get it on Amazon Prime. Any Asia Goons know of a way to watch it in this region?

You might check iTunes, it has the whole series in the US but I dunno about other regions.