Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I use the front headphone jack on my desktop case to drive my HD 650's. :moonrio:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My motherboard output was noticeably noisy and I replaced it with a cheap Behringer UCA202 and it has no problems driving either my DT-770 80 or my DT-990 250 headphones and I have zero complaints and am glad I was not convinced to spend $200 on a ridiculously named "stack".

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Micca Origen is pretty good and barely breaks the $100 mark, and they drive my planars. Had to get a ground loop isolator though to elimate buzz from the y-splitter for the V-Moda mic.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cbear posted:

I honestly have no idea what I need. I assume both an amp and DAC.

What are the standard recommendations?

As KingShiro said you don't need a DAC unless your source is noisy or crap quality but at the lower end of price the better options tend to be joint DAC/AMPs. Anything by Fiio or SMSL are going to be at the least OK.

The Fiio K1 is very cheap and can drive the CB1s just fine (i have just checked). I picked up an SMSL M3 really cheap and that is also great for the CB1's and is possibly overkill.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

grack posted:

Nuforce Primo 8 or Dunu 2000 perhaps?

Super, thank you. The Dunu seems like the ticket, anyone have first hand experience?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SteveMcQueen posted:

Super, thank you. The Dunu seems like the ticket, anyone have first hand experience?

They're v-shaped with enhanced bass and treble, but not bass cannons or excessively bright. They can be tuned but the differences between different tunings aren't excessive. The one caution I'd have is that the earpieces themselves are large and quite heavy, but Dunu includes a massive fit kit to help mitigate that. They are very capable technical headphones.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

you've also piqued my interested about the primo 8s, what's your take on those? seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I don't have a lot of listening time with the Primo 8s, but my impression was that of a somewhat (but not overly) warm set with phenomenal detail. The bass is amazing. Not a lot of it, but really detailed, really extended. Mids and highs are fantastically detailed and moderately bright, and again upper extension is fantastic. I'd actually compare them (very favourably, I might add) to the Westone UM Pro 30s, and the Westones cost $80-$100 more. It's a pity they were discontinued, but I think audiophile types dismissed them because they aren't reference-flat at their price point.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

cool, thanks. how do you think they compare to SE215s? they were my only other IEMs and it seems I've misplaced them in my recent move :p

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

cool, thanks. how do you think they compare to SE215s? they were my only other IEMs and it seems I've misplaced them in my recent move :p

They will absolutely stomp all over the SE215s and it won't be particularly close. They'll have similar amounts of bass but the Primo is in a different class in basically every other aspect.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Feel free to point me to a better thread for this if there is one, but: I need a MP3 player recommendation.

My GF's ipod is dying and I'm trying to figure out a replacement. She listens to a lot of audio books, so native Audible support would be good, but I can convert the files to MP3 if needed. A bigger issue is that she needs the files to resume in the same spot she left off. The audible converter will break the book up into individual MP3s by chapters, so resuming at the start of a song on the playlist would probably be OK as long as it remembered where on the playlist she was. Or at least better than nothing.

The jog wheel is obviously super useful for scrolling on an MP3 player, so that or something similar is another thing I'm looking for. I've used various similar things that worked OK - like the touch strip on the Zen Vision M.

Swappable SD/MicroSD cards would be an immense bonus too. Or general upgradeability/repairability.

A decent headphone amp is probably the last bonus point here, but usability trumps sound quality for her. She has a pair of AKG K7XXs.

I used to use an iRiver H320 with Rockbox, and that would be good if there's a modern "hackable" equivalent. I upgraded it for about 10 years, eventually it was running on a CF card with an adapter.

Nowadays I use a pair of Fiio X5s, a 1st-gen at work and a 2nd-gen for on the go. But the user interface is very trashy. It works OK for me because I mostly listen to albums, which works OK in the interface. She does like that I can put 256 GB of music on it though, and it has a decent-ish headphone amp.

She's started hating iTunes more and more over the years, and iPods are kind expensive. So I figured I'd ask around and see if there's any good alternatives.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There is a stand alone MP3 player thread here

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
THESE MOTHERFUCKERS RIGHT HERE.
The Tennmak Pro Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones are surprisingly good for $25
If anyone is considering IEM's for casual everyday use, you might consider getting a pair of these first. They sound REALLY good for the money. The sound is very clear and the detail is there. The bass is a touch lacking (compared to the shure 215SE with enhanced bass) but it's not a dealbreaker, and might even be preferable depending on your preferences. The SE215 also seem to have better isolation, but I personally prefer the Tennmak's for every day use and motorcycling because they let just enough outside noise in (loud horns, crashes, people screaming bloody murder) when listening at a lower volume.

If you like the SE215 then these are right up your alley. I think most listeners probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference beyond slightly less full bass on the Tennmak Pro's.
Bonus: the cables are interchangeable between the SE215 and Tennmak Pro's

Edit: Double bonus, I forgot to mention that the Tennmak Pro comes with a mic and single button on the included cable.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 16, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If anyone is considering IEM's for casual everyday use, you might consider getting a pair of these first. They sound REALLY good for the money. The sound is very clear and the detail is there. The bass is a touch lacking (compared to the shure 215SE with enhanced bass) but it's not a dealbreaker, and might even be preferable depending on your preferences. The SE215 also seem to have better isolation, but I personally prefer the Tennmak's for every day use and motorcycling because they let just enough outside noise in (loud horns, crashes, people screaming bloody murder) when listening at a lower volume.

If you like the SE215 then these are right up your alley. I think most listeners probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference beyond slightly less full bass on the Tennmak Pro's.

Edit: Double bonus, I forgot to mention that the Tennmak Pro comes with a mic and single button on the included cable.

Eh. For the price I like the Senzer H1s better.

Also I did a thing today

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

how do y'all think the nuforce primo 8 would compare to the shure se535s?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

No experience with the 535, sorry.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've been browsing the backscroll and reading but I haven't seen quite what I'm looking for if yall could help

Budget - Probably $250 for everything at the outside (Including any USB 'adapters' or modmic attachments)
Source - Multiple Computers / Cellphone / PS4
Isolation Requirements - More is better
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear then on ear in that order
Preferred Tonal Balance -No Preference
Past Headphones - Turtle beach headset (forget which one) and Logitech wired headset
Preferred Music - Voice / Phone then Chiptunes and EDM second

SO I have managed to break the last two headsets I have bought; so I am looking for something around build quality first. Both broke around plastic hinges above the earpieces. I also have a large head, so that may be contributing to my problem. I would like something that has a microphone, as voice chat and phone calls are a primary function for me, but I am open to attaching a modmic or something similar to a good set of headphones. I would like something that is easy to transfer between all the devices listed above. I have a pair of IEMs that I use for some things, but I find I can't wear them for very long. Any help can be appreciated.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Started a new job working in data centers and need a pair of headphones to entertain me while doing monotonous labor.

Budget - Below $60, though open to something more expensive if there's general consensus.
Source - iPhone/iPod
Isolation Requirements - High. The constant whine of servers is maddening and while the OP suggests Noise Cancelling to be avoided, it might be beneficial in this environment?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Most Preferable: IEM with exceptional noise isolation. Less Preferable: IEM that can fit underneath a pair of earmuffs. Least Preferable: Closed over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy or balanced. Nothing high in treble.
Past Headphones - Nothing of this specification.
Preferred Music - Mainly electronic.

The headphones must be wireless. My work is very physical and wires will only get in the way. I've been browsing through Amazon for the highest rated budget bluetooth headphones (e.g. Anker, TaoTronics) but I don't trust their reviews. So far the leading contender is the Monoprice 15274: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15274

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 19, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

sink posted:

Thanks much! Just ordered the last pair off Amazon (should get here on the 16th). Stereophile (uncertain if that is a reputable source) also seems to think very highly of them (http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2016-edition-headphones#syGETI1DvYqpAFVV.97).

Did your HE400i's arrive, and have you had a chance to listen to them? If so, what do you think?

I ended up buying a pair of Oppo PM-3s based off the strength of The Wirecutter's review of them, and because I agreed so much with their review of the HE400s headphones. These PM-3s are a very good 'near-portable' closed pair of cans, and I can certainly see myself taking them from the house to listen to them elsewhere, so I'm very glad I bought them.

I think the Hifimans have the edge on detail and spaciousness (they should - they're open), and they have faster attack, but they're edged by the Oppos on bass 'impact'.

I love them both, and I hope my recommendation suited you. If not, return them or sell them on SA Mart!

EDIT: fixed typos.

D1E fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 18, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The earpads on my HD600s wore out completely over the past 6 years from heavy use so I had to get new ones.

Instead of buying the official ones from Sennheiser which are overpriced as hell for non memory foam with velour glued to a plastic ring I instead ordered Brainwavz HM-5 pads from their website. Wasn't sure what would be best so I bought one each of the memory foam velour and also the memory foam lambskin pads, figuring at worst I'd have a spare pair I could toss in the cupboard.
(If you do this you'll need the plastic rings off the official pads to make the attachment work, so get your scissors and a small knife then get cutting)

Over the past month or so I used the velour pads and really liked them. Much more plush than the original ones. However since the 600s are known as a clampy headphone for good reason the additional plushness of the velour HM5 pads made them just exert just a bit too much pressure on the sides of my head (ears were fine because safely nestled inside the cups). Might not be an issue for people with a smaller head but it's a big issue for me - for the record if I wear my even older pair of AKG701s I wear them on maximum extension and the suspension headband barely fits my skull.

After swapping out the velour pads with the lambskin ones it's amazing. They are softer than the velour pads so the fit is now heavenly. The leather also doesn't make any audible noises while you shift around or adjust the HD600s. I can't express how comfortable these are now and I think it slightly improved the bass response due to the increased isolation but that may just be perceptual bias.

I guess overall if you have a pair of HD600s (or 650s I guess?) and need replacement earpads I strongly recommend the lambskin HM5 pads from Brainwavz.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cool. I had these in my Amazon cart for a while, I considered grabbing them for some cheap IEMs for using while walking the dog. Pulled the trigger now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Checking in to see if there was a goon recommended in-ear. Buds don't fit my ears and they are very uncomfortable. For listening to podcasts on my phone while walking the dog. Prefer under $50

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Everyone down with this or any other suggestions?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

wormil posted:

Checking in to see if there was a goon recommended in-ear. Buds don't fit my ears and they are very uncomfortable. For listening to podcasts on my phone while walking the dog. Prefer under $50

Everyone down with this or any other suggestions?

I like the Senzer H1s
https://www.amazon.com/Resolution-E...words=senzer+h1

The Tennmak Dulcimer are also pretty good (and IMO better than the Pros) at the same price. Less bass, better clarity.
https://www.amazon.com/Tennmak-Dulc...eywords=tennmak

To be honest the Pros are okay at best. They're very bassy headphones and it can be overbearing. Comparing them to the Shure SE215s is a little bit misleading because there are now shitloads of better headphones available at the same price or cheaper than the SE215s.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there any credible alternative to the Etymotic ER4P IEMs that doesn't feature cables made of fragile pixie gossamer? I have a friend who swears by the signature but the cables always start cutting out within a year even if they're treated like royalty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aurisonics Rockets, but they're discontinued and you'll pay more for a pair than a new pair of Etys. drat near bombproof construction, though. Etymotic will also replace cables under warranty if it's within 2 years of purchase.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Would the new Fender IEMs have a close signature then, since they bought Aurisonics?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The majority of Aurisonics' IEMs were quite bass heavy, the Rockets were a major departure for them. Apparently the new Fenders are all pretty bassy as well.

Another option is the FLC FL8, but those are again more expensive and you'll likely have to fiddle with them a fair amount to get the sound signature you want.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

grack posted:

I like the Senzer H1s
https://www.amazon.com/Resolution-E...words=senzer+h1

The Tennmak Dulcimer are also pretty good (and IMO better than the Pros) at the same price. Less bass, better clarity.
https://www.amazon.com/Tennmak-Dulc...eywords=tennmak

Thanks, checking these out now.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf

D1E posted:

Did your HE400i's arrive, and have you had a chance to listen to them? If so, what do you think?

I ended up buying a pair of Oppo PM-3s based off the strength of The Wirecutter's review of them, and because I agreed so much with their review of the HE400s headphones. These PM-3s are a very good 'near-portable' closed pair of cans, and I can certainly see myself taking them from the house to listen to them elsewhere, so I'm very glad I bought them.

I think the Hifimans have the edge on detail and spaciousness (they should - they're open), and they have faster attack, but they're edged by the Oppos on bass 'impact'.

I love them both, and I hope my recommendation suited you. If not, return them or sell them on SA Mart!

EDIT: fixed typos.

I did! And they're a great rec. I like them a lot, although I haven't given them a significant trial yet. I've moved my PM-3s to my workplace office where they do very well with isolation, both in and out, in an environment with a lot of chatter (open floor plan offices are terrible).

The PM-3's feel a bit more close and as a result, muffled, than the HE400i's. That's something I preferred at first, since I liked feeling tightly cocooned in sound, but now I am appreciating the openness of the HE400i's and the detail that comes out. I think we are describing the same experiences, only with different vocabulary. I'll be working from home a lot this week, so I'll have the opportunity to give them a lot more use.

Thanks again for the rec. Really happy with the result.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
Does anyone have some circumaural recommendations for large ears? My brother in law has some really loud neighbors and needs something with good isolation, but has rather large ears. He had some wireless Logitech g930s "gaming headset" with square pads that fit his ears but they predictably broke. The RF wireless was nice but it looks like everything outside of amazonbasics RF over-ear is a bit out of his price range or crappy gaming sets.

Budget - < $50
Source - computer
Isolation Requirements - his thumping and yelling neighbors are driving him crazy, high isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural w larger pads
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Logitech g930s that broke
Preferred Music - iono, mostly gaming and movies i believe

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 22, 2017

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Yeah I got my Tennmak Pros in the mail this morning. Definitely quite boomy for songs with prominent mid-bass. But they are pretty fun for songs that don't get overwhelmed by the bass bump. A good budget choice for bass-obsessed types, at least. I'm tempted to check out the Pianos the next time I make a boredom-induced cheap IEM purchase (or when I break/lose these).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Good headphones for keeping out office noise (typing, chatter, etc.)? My wife is looking for a pair and doesn't care about sound quality (and might even just want to use them with no music playing). Comfort is key - she will wear them 8+ hours a day. Budget is whatever but cheaper is better.

Edit: I'm aware noise-cancelling is meant more for constant sounds like airplane engines, but something is better than nothing.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 22, 2017

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

got my nuforce primo 8's today. they sound great -- the complys gave the best seal and are quite comfortable. cable suffers from microphonics, the ear guide on the cable is shittier than i expected (my expectations based on shure IEMs) and i had some weird issue with sound cutting out in the right channel which apparently was fixed by replugging the cable into the iem. just kidding it's happening again.

argh these sound pretty good though, i don't wanna send them back... but the cable is poo poo.... :( i should just get shures again haha

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I jumped on the noise cancelling bandwagon and picked up a pair of Bose IEMs a month or so back. Finally took them on an airplane and found I can't stand the "pressure" from the noise cancelling. Anything I can do about it? Or is it back to my trusty SE215?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

the auschwitz diet posted:

Does anyone have some circumaural recommendations for large ears? My brother in law has some really loud neighbors and needs something with good isolation, but has rather large ears. He had some wireless Logitech g930s "gaming headset" with square pads that fit his ears but they predictably broke. The RF wireless was nice but it looks like everything outside of amazonbasics RF over-ear is a bit out of his price range or crappy gaming sets.

Budget - < $50
Source - computer
Isolation Requirements - his thumping and yelling neighbors are driving him crazy, high isolation

DT770 is the only really great choice that I know of for big ears + super isolation, but "balanced" is the last word I would use for their tonal balance. They're not close to $50 though.

Actually, he should take a look at the Superlux HD562 come to think of it. They're extremely isolating, and being on-ear it doesn't matter how big his ears are. Some people HATE on-ears though.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

the auschwitz diet posted:

Budget - < $50
Source - computer

stretching the budget a little bit, but maybe sony mdrv6?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I just ordered a Little Dot MkII to pair with my HD600s and I have a question about getting sound from my PC to the amp.

I'm currently using the SMSL SD-793II DAC/AMP. Is this how I should connect everything?

PC Optical Out>SMSL Optical In> RCA outs> amp inputs . Will this be double amping? Are the RCA outs affected by the volume knob on the smsl?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drat NIGGA posted:

I just ordered a Little Dot MkII to pair with my HD600s and I have a question about getting sound from my PC to the amp.

I'm currently using the SMSL SD-793II DAC/AMP. Is this how I should connect everything?

PC Optical Out>SMSL Optical In> RCA outs> amp inputs . Will this be double amping? Are the RCA outs affected by the volume knob on the smsl?

Well when I went from a Firestone Fubar IV+ to a Schiit Jotunheim for the balanced output and better SNR I just replaced things wholesale.

Don't know. The more poo poo you toss into the chain the more variables you have to deal with because anything not completely neutral is going to affect your audio.

If you wanted an all in one DAC/Tube Amp combo then Woo Audio and others might sell you something appropriate. I follow the KISS principle so I would rather avoid the whole daisy chain situation entirely.

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

For gaming/office/isolation, I'll recommend the Samson SR950 headphones.

Just bought a pair for ~$30 on Amazon and they've been great. Didn't need expensive headphones or anything too fancy. Audio sounds clear and for gaming I can hear sounds coming in from different directions. Good isolation, and comfort is a lot better after stretching them out over the box for a few nights.

Some people prefer the SR850's, but I wanted closed back and softer pads. Also, people might want more bass, but that can be fixed with some EQ help. Also also, they kind of look like plungers but I give no fucks.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/samson-sr950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This may be a weird question but are there any (good) Bluetooth speakers that also have a headphone jack out? Most of ones I see have an auxiliary input, but not output.

Sorry, I couldn't find a Bluetooth or even a general speakers thread.