Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

2house2fly posted:

Because people will stick to per-encounters due to hoarding tendencies, but health dwindling necessitating the need to rest anyway encourages you to toss out those per-rests either to prevent health loss or because you're going to need to rest soon anyway so why hold back.

I'm not sure this is how it plays out for players. Logically, yes. But I bet in practice most players' hoarding tendencies are completely separate, and what ends up happening is that a rest feels like a complete waste because you don't actually need to replenish any abilities or spells, you just need to regain health. However, lets argue that players take the hint and start burning up per rest abilities. Now they can burn to fast, ending up with few abilities and plenty of health leftover. All you've done is created this pointless teeter-totter effect in trying to balance resting through two completely different mechanics. What do you gain using this teeter-totter? A slower game and possible backtracking if you're the player that burns supplies to fast. I've only had that situation happen a few times, but it's annoying and absolutely kills the fun of the game when it happens. It's why I'll likely not do Endless Paths at all on my new playthrough. One and done was good enough, and I'll just head straight into WM when level appropriate.

Having dual mechanics determine when you rest seems needlessly complex. Resting should be a simple calculus: Does my party need to get its spells and abilities back? Press restore ability button.

Mind you, I"d rather they move away completely from resting, personally. That's not in the spirit of the old IE games, so I understand why its included, but as a mechanic in general, resting should be replaced entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Ydwin's female.

Yes, you are right. I got confused with these dudes. To many yng ywd words...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm really surprised they aren't letting us name our ship ourselves.

You will be able to rename the ship. The Defiant is just its default name.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

User0015 posted:

I'm not sure this is how it plays out for players. Logically, yes. But I bet in practice most players' hoarding tendencies are completely separate, and what ends up happening is that a rest feels like a complete waste because you don't actually need to replenish any abilities or spells, you just need to regain health. However, lets argue that players take the hint and start burning up per rest abilities. Now they can burn to fast, ending up with few abilities and plenty of health leftover. All you've done is created this pointless teeter-totter effect in trying to balance resting through two completely different mechanics. What do you gain using this teeter-totter? A slower game and possible backtracking if you're the player that burns supplies to fast. I've only had that situation happen a few times, but it's annoying and absolutely kills the fun of the game when it happens. It's why I'll likely not do Endless Paths at all on my new playthrough. One and done was good enough, and I'll just head straight into WM when level appropriate.

Having dual mechanics determine when you rest seems needlessly complex. Resting should be a simple calculus: Does my party need to get its spells and abilities back? Press restore ability button.

Mind you, I"d rather they move away completely from resting, personally. That's not in the spirit of the old IE games, so I understand why its included, but as a mechanic in general, resting should be replaced entirely.

I was so happy when they got rid of the time/combat based fatigue mechanic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

You will be able to rename the ship. The Defiant is just its default name.

But that's bad luck!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna call it Titanic Mk II. It shall be unsinkable.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm well I'd love more companions so I'll cross my fingers, but 5mil doesn't seem very likely. Oh well. At least the rest of the update is good news, ship is gonna be awesome.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

mitochondritom posted:

Yes, you are right. I got confused with these dudes. To many yng ywd words...

On that note: Ydwin ≠ Ydwen, right? We're not talking about Saint Ydwen, right? Because that'd be a really strange choice for a companion, not the least because she's dead and all.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

On that note: Ydwin ≠ Ydwen, right? We're not talking about Saint Ydwen, right? Because that'd be a really strange choice for a companion, not the least because she's dead and all.
From the sidekicks update:

Ydwin- A strange pale elf cipher from "a lot of different places". Fascinated by animancy, Ydwin spends her free time examining fresh and not-so-fresh corpses. Though she has a charming and pleasant demeanor, new acquaintances are often shocked at her intimate familiarity with death and her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
ydwin is a weirdo pale elf interested in corpses, basically an anime character

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was thinking more horror movie fan.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ydwin's final form is Samara Sadako (for maximum weeb)

Also, rope kid, that's not an explicit denial :tinfoil:

Edit: also, I'm considering upping my pledge from the $29 version to the $45 version, mainly because I'm terrible and want the PnP starter guide. Sell me on how that's gonna be totally rad and how I'll get to roll dice as my favorite Pillars classes in my favorite Pillars locales.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 22, 2017

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I was like huh we already have a Pale Elf companion but apparently Aloth is a Wood Elf Who Happens To Be Pale.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, rope kid, that's not an explicit denial :tinfoil:

Not the only one who thought that then. :drac:

Also the 45 tier has a pet.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 22, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bongwizzard posted:

I have relationships/sex in real life

Quit braggin

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dick Burglar posted:

Edit: also, I'm considering upping my pledge from the $29 version to the $45 version, mainly because I'm terrible and want the PnP starter guide. Sell me on how that's gonna be totally rad and how I'll get to roll dice as my favorite Pillars classes in my favorite Pillars locales.

$45 gets you an exclusive pet, which is the more important detail.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

User0015 posted:

How is two things complex?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OH also everyone add 20 bucks to your pledge for all the DLC imo.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

Sell me on how that's gonna be totally rad and how I'll get to roll dice as my favorite Pillars classes in my favorite Pillars locales.
I'm having a lot of fun designing it and most of the inspiration for it comes from Burning Wheel, Ars Magica, Gumshoe, the Stormbringer RPG, and Cadwallon. You may note that none of those games have classes. My first act as mayor is to kill the whole lot of you and burn your town to cinders. Cheers.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

$45 gets you an exclusive pet, which is the more important detail.

Avalerion posted:

Not the only one who thought that then. :drac:

Also the 45 tier has a pet.

Yeah but you don't get to name it so what's the point

Chairchucker posted:

How does one even do that Nevermind, found it.

rope kid posted:

I'm having a lot of fun designing it and most of the inspiration for it comes from Burning Wheel, Ars Magica, Gumshoe, the Stormbringer RPG, and Cadwallon. You may note that none of those games have classes. My first act as mayor is to kill the whole lot of you and burn your town to cinders. Cheers.

I'm 100% down for classless systems, but it's kind of weird that you'd take a game that has very discrete classes and make a tabletop version that is classless. Not to say I don't have faith that you can make a good system, I just don't understand what you're going for.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 22, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I did it.

Now we only need another 900k assuming Fig funds match, so only 45k more backers upgrading. Hmm, I think I see a problem with this.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

Not to say I don't have faith that you can make a good system, I just don't understand what you're going for.
A good tabletop game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The ship thing makes me very happy. Partially because no matter how tricky they were to handle in PoE, I always loved the pistols and such. Having proper cannons just makes me even happier. There's nothing better to take down an ornery god :black101:

Edit: Oh hey a good reason to add money, added my DLC too.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 22, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i wonder if they have another update prepared fig is lit atm

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
During PoE1's development I kept hoping they'd ditch the IE-style map for something more reminiscent of Storm of Zehir or Fallout 1 and 2. So glad they did that for PoE2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm most excited about being able to move from interior to interior without trudging through maps in the city

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

Quit braggin

Hey man, I didn't say either of them were particularly good. I firmly believe in availability of anyone with enough brains post on a forum to find themselves an crappy irl relationship, if only they tried to do.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
So I may have tripled my initial $40 pledge to get the DLC, White March soundtrack, and the painted figurines. I'm good with money management, is what I'm trying to say.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

A good tabletop game.

Touché.

Fine, I'll put my faith in you and upgrade my pledge. And I guess pre-buy the DLC because who am I kidding, I'm gonna want to buy it anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, Obsidian's track record with DLC after New Vegas and Pillars makes me confident about plopping down an extra 20, even if from what they've said it's unlikely we'll see another full-on expansion.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Campaign has gained about $40k in the past hour, pity it's an add-on spike and not gonna stay consistent as that'd breezily carry us to $5m by the end.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

My first act as mayor is to kill the whole lot of you and burn your town to cinders. Cheers.

Well, he's got my vote.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
They should put this up on the front of the fig page:

The mom shrieking gleefully always freaks me out a little.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

Touché.

Fine, I'll put my faith in you and upgrade my pledge. And I guess pre-buy the DLC because who am I kidding, I'm gonna want to buy it anyway.

I'm sure any number of people, including moderately ambitious DMs reading this right now, could make a 3.5/Pathfinder/5E game set in Eora that would be totally fitting and appropriate. Ditch sorcerers and warlocks, use psionic warriors as a core class. Replace gnomes and halflings with orlans, orcs with aumaua, genasi with godlike. You're more than halfway there. No one needs me or anyone else at Obsidian to design what are effectively house rules.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

So I may have tripled my initial $40 pledge to get the DLC, White March soundtrack, and the painted figurines. I'm good with money management, is what I'm trying to say.

I think a lot of us can relate to this statement.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

rope kid posted:

A good tabletop game.

Having recently stepped into the 5e thread smelling of fresh newbie amongst veterans of the Edition Wars, all I can say is: Good Luck

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, they just reached the sidekick stretch goal.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

I'm sure any number of people, including moderately ambitious DMs reading this right now, could make a 3.5/Pathfinder/5E game set in Eora that would be totally fitting and appropriate. Ditch sorcerers and warlocks, use psionic warriors as a core class. Replace gnomes and halflings with orlans, orcs with aumaua, genasi with godlike. You're more than halfway there. No one needs me or anyone else at Obsidian to design what are effectively house rules.

That's the trick: I liked D&D 4E :v:

I get what you mean though. I'm fine with less codify-everything design schemes. Like I said, I already upped my backing level, so I'm eager to see what you come up with. I remember you saying in the old thread that your ideal RPG would be classless--are you using this as a testbed for some of those ideas?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

Having recently stepped into the 5e thread smelling of fresh newbie amongst veterans of the Edition Wars, all I can say is: Good Luck
People who give a poo poo about A/D&D edition wars probably don't care much about classless games like Ars, Burning Wheel, etc.

Also, I don't really give a poo poo. I've played Basic-4th and had fun campaigns in every system. I still enjoy classless more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

How is two things complex?

If you are just going to ignore everything I'm saying and the slightly important word "needlessly", then I guess my reply is as follows: "Are you seriously asking why two things is more complex than one thing?"

• Locked thread