Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

lifg posted:

Ah, the Austrian economist.

Most economists are Monday night quarterbacks. Austrian economists are Monday night quarterbacks who didn't even watch the game.

The phrase is Monday Morning Quarterback. Monday Night is when the last game of the week is played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

quote:

Okay, so how do pedophiles work their way into this? Well,

In the rollercoaster analogy on the last page, this is where you come over the first hill and spot the first drop you're about to ride down.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lottery of Babylon is the coat that the internet puts down for you you that you don't have to walk through a puddle. He touches the gutter-water so you don't have to get your shoes wet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Maxwells Demon posted:

The phrase is Monday Morning Quarterback. Monday Night is when the last game of the week is played.
I don't think that makes a lot of sense, since 'monday morning quarterback' has the connotation of someone making judgements which are easy with the benefit of hindsight.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think that makes a lot of sense, since 'monday morning quarterback' has the connotation of someone making judgements which are easy with the benefit of hindsight.

That is... exactly what that means.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If Austrian Economists are Monday Night QBs then they are Andy Dalton.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

lifg posted:

This.... is real?

Welcome to Libertarians/Ancaps! He's one of their major philosophical icons.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Welcome to Libertarians/Ancaps! He's one of their major philosophical icons.

And Rothbard is considered the more moderate one!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Exactly that, also with the connotation of someone who doesn't play the game themselves.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Chitin posted:

That is... exactly what that means.
With hindsight. Monday morning does not offer hindsight for a game played on monday night. Maybe Maxwells Demon meant they're played Sunday nights.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Feb 23, 2017

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Almost all NFL games are played on Sunday, hence Monday morning quarterbacking.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yes, that would make the explanation sensible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lifg posted:

Ah, the Austrian economist.

Most economists are Monday night quarterbacks. Austrian economists are Monday night quarterbacks who didn't even watch the game.

The thing that baffles me most about Austrian school adherents is that they're violently opposed to Keynsian economics even though Keynsian economics has been proven to actually work. It's a prime example of ideology over reality.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing that baffles me most about Austrian school adherents is that they're violently opposed to Keynsian economics even though Keynsian economics has been proven to actually work. It's a prime example of ideology over reality.

[praxing intensifies]

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well if you just accept a priori that markets absolutely cannot fail under any circumstances then

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Markets cannot fail, they can only be failed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, I love how Keynes' economics has in some circumstances had flawed predictions but in general seems to work in practice, whereas the Austrian school has beautifully consistent theorems that frequently fall over when exposed to the real world.

We've been doing this Supply Side poo poo for at least forty years, we have lots of evidence the theory doesn't match the practice.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, I love how Keynes' economics has in some circumstances had flawed predictions but in general seems to work in practice, whereas the Austrian school has beautifully consistent theorems that frequently fall over when exposed to the real world.

We've been doing this Supply Side poo poo for at least forty years, we have lots of evidence the theory doesn't match the practice.

See, that's just it; there is a gently caress load of Actually Real Proof from the Real World of Reality on the Real Earth that the austerity Austrian economists love so much has disastrous results while Keynsian economics aren't perfect but actually work pretty well most of the time.

The Austrian school just goes "well nobody has used our ideas hard enough yet. The problem is them not us."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Austrian school just goes "well nobody has used our ideas hard enough yet. The problem is them not us."

I wonder how they feel about the fact that this is the exact same argument people make in favour of communism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

See, that's just it; there is a gently caress load of Actually Real Proof from the Real World of Reality on the Real Earth that the austerity Austrian economists love so much has disastrous results while Keynsian economics aren't perfect but actually work pretty well most of the time.

“Somalia is full of black people, so it doesn’t count.”

I’m paraphrasing here. I don’t think “black people” is in their vocabulary.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I wonder how they feel about the fact that this is the exact same argument people make in favour of communism.

Except Communism is a much broader concept that is way harder to implement than "cut all spending that helps the poor" so they're not really comparable

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They don't, introspection and reflection is not really their thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Laserjet 4P posted:

They don't, introspection and reflection is not really their thing.

Yeah, they stick to procedural programming because it's purer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, they stick to procedural programming because it's purer.

Holy poo poo.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Quoting a post from the spaceflight thread because NASA can't create a comparison picture of TRAPPIST-1 that isn't overcomplicated and out of scale as gently caress.

Bates posted:

NASA made some posters

They're all pretty though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Aggressively athiest but still relying on "the meek shall inherit the earth"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I stole this from yospos:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sour_grapes.tiff

desperate_hope.bmp

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Judging by the stratospheric level of life satisfaction at age 80, I'm pretty sure it's a joke graph.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can't wait to turn 42 and finally as happy as a regular person.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Can't wait to turn 42 and finally as happy as a regular person.

Of course. At that age you finally get The Answer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

This is a terrible way to run a subway network. There's no way to get from the red to the pink line even though they're adjacent, and three short lines apparently don't link up with any other ones? Awful urban planning imo.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

vyelkin posted:

This is a terrible way to run a subway network. There's no way to get from the red to the pink line even though they're adjacent, and three short lines apparently don't link up with any other ones? Awful urban planning imo.

You can change from red to pink at Journey Maps, and the three short ones are linked to the networkd with Agile Replacement Bus Services until late 2018. What are you, a tourist?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

vyelkin posted:

Reminded me of 'changing at Baker Street'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=change%20at%20Baker%20Street

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Judging by the stratospheric level of life satisfaction at age 80, I'm pretty sure it's a joke graph.

It's from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, so yes it's a joke. :)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

FrozenVent posted:

It's astounding the number of things that Deloitte can prove it doesn't understand with a single infographic. Up to and including infographics.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nerd happiness is WAY higher around age 20, wth. That's when you go to college and get a clean slate w/o your high school bully-down baggage and can plaster your dorm room with posters of shows you enjoyed at age 9, and play video games w/out your parents telling you to go the gently caress to bed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sweeperbravo posted:

Nerd happiness is WAY higher around age 20, wth. That's when you go to college and get a clean slate w/o your high school bully-down baggage and can plaster your dorm room with posters of shows you enjoyed at age 9, and play video games w/out your parents telling you to go the gently caress to bed

That's why he added:

(original link)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

sweeperbravo posted:

Dont doxx me