Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was really hosed up how they kept sending the tiny, dim-witted child out to fight

Are you referring to Naruto or Reborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki may be right up your alley.

that is less of a romance and more of a single extended leer

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Compendium posted:

Are you confusing YYH with Bleach because then I'd understand. YYH moves at a lightning pace, there's a ton of exciting poo poo

He's talking about how the first 20 or so chapters were Yusuke doing various tasks as a ghost, most of which the anime glossed over, then the next 25 or so we're still relatively slow and nothing too interesting nowadays (the 3 items, the Genkai arc, and then the 4 demon kings)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

chumbler posted:

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Sure, if you like a manga about the author's weird fetishes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slime posted:

Sure, if you like a manga about the author's weird fetishes.

It's not even really that good, particularly the latter half or so. It just amuses me as a punchline.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also to add to my list of recommendations ; Uwagaki is real good and makes me wish Immortal Hounds wasn't such a disappointment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OneDeadman posted:

Also, maybe Rin? It's not necessarily a romance manga but it's pretty good.

I've read Rin, and I really liked it a whole lot. I like how during the series they sort of send signals to genre-savvy readers that the classmate girl he has a crush on might have some malicious intention, but in the end she's actually just a good friend. I never did quite figure out what the "If you make the wrong choice it'll lead to destruction!" prophecy was about, though. Was it just referring to his classmate having a boyfriend already? My only gripe is that there's never any sort of romantic pay-off between the main character and Rin. Like, you know they're going to start dating or whatever, but they never show any of it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that is less of a romance and more of a single extended leer

I'm happy I'm not the only person who had that impression.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Julias posted:

He's talking about how the first 20 or so chapters were Yusuke doing various tasks as a ghost, most of which the anime glossed over, then the next 25 or so we're still relatively slow and nothing too interesting nowadays (the 3 items, the Genkai arc, and then the 4 demon kings)

It's a relatively small hill to cross to get to good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OneDeadman posted:

Also to add to my list of recommendations ; Uwagaki is real good and makes me wish Immortal Hounds wasn't such a disappointment.

What makes immortal hounds a disappointment, it's not done yet and could still pull things off if it wraps up its twists well enough.

Now if only someone would catch it up to the current chapters, we must be like half a dozen behind now.

Edit: as if someone read my mind, a new chapter came out. IH is seinen but I guess since we're discussing it have a link and we'll take further talk to the seinen thread

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Immortal-Hounds

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
immortal hounds has some of the worst worldbuilding i've seen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't remember ever seeing you enjoy anything though, relin.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for reminding me, turns out I missed out on two chapters of Immortal Hounds!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

Finally, Reborn is surprisingly sexist, even for a shonen manga. It's somehow considered worse for Kyoko, a girl Tsuna's age, to fight than for a 5-year-old boy like Lambo to do so, and Lal Mirch is the only female character allowed to accomplish anything.

Chrome had her moments(speaking back to the reset of character advancement I'd say she is a bigger showcase for that than Tsuna).

To be fair. Tsuna and co often do whatever they can to keep Lambo from fighting. They never really want Lambo to fight, he just always ends up fighting since his dad is an rear end in a top hat and made like a 5 year old one of his Guardians. In Varia it made sense because he had the 10 year cannon, but when the author had him actually fight as his child form it was super dumb. But mostly it's weird because this series is clearly targeting women who were a big reason why this series stayed alive for so long. I don't think it was intentionally sexist so much as the Author just really focused on the boys. It was p much nothing but fujoshi bait.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ytlaya posted:

How's Toradora? It seems like it might be just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Toradora is really loving good. The characters are good and develop believably, they have wonderful interactions, the drama is never forced, and there are no bad guys. (Except for Taiga's dad. gently caress that guy.) Most of all, it has a fantastic and satisfying ending. Watch Toradora. (You can also read the light novels or the manga, but the manga isn't finished yet.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hibari was a strong and beautfiul boy

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Reborn was a weird roller coaster of characters that could have been good, but the author focused on their one note aspects and then somehow couldn't go that much beyond them even when it became intense shonen mafia magic battles.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

I've read Rin, and I really liked it a whole lot. I like how during the series they sort of send signals to genre-savvy readers that the classmate girl he has a crush on might have some malicious intention, but in the end she's actually just a good friend. I never did quite figure out what the "If you make the wrong choice it'll lead to destruction!" prophecy was about, though. Was it just referring to his classmate having a boyfriend already? My only gripe is that there's never any sort of romantic pay-off between the main character and Rin. Like, you know they're going to start dating or whatever, but they never show any of it.

Spent last night reading Rin myself, and thought it was phenomenal.
Ending spoilers: I don't really see how you came to the conclusion that Asuna was just a friend, since she made it clear she had a crush on him herself with the photo album stuff. Her boyfriend situation is cleverly (?) left vague, because it's mentioned that they were on and off a lot, so we can't know if Norito was the cause of the breakups or just her backup plan. We know from their school days that Asuna had a tendency to hedge her bets (with both Hori and Norito), but then again she also mentioned hoping Norito would make the approach for once with the postponed aquarium date.

As for the prophecy thing, I interpreted it as being about his creative life, pretty much. Had he picked Asuna, he'd either have settled for drawing lewd manga and being creatively unfulfilled until he might have developed that horrifying disease, living with the knowledge that he wasted his chances to make something true, or he may have just given up on manga altogether because his inspiration would elude him forever, leading to a very frustrating life for someone with that much passion.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rin is quite good, I'd go so far as to say it should be in the OP. I do think it ended extremely abruptly though, which is an unfortunate aspect of most shonen romance.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Ytlaya posted:

What are some decent shounen* romance manga where the plot actually progresses and the plot isn't just "nerdy guy inexplicably has a bunch of girls interested in him"?

Didn't see anyone mentioning it yet, but have you read Horimiya?

edit: got the name waaayyyy wrong, drat

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Horimiya went through a really weird stretch where the Hori/Miyamura relationship honestly got a little uncomfortable, but it's bounced back pretty nicely since. It looks nice, it's pretty funny, the romance/relationships are pretty well developed and happen organically, and the cast is quite memorable. It does suffer a little bit from sameface on some of the more ancillary characters, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The most shocking thing about horimiya is that it doesn't shy away from the idea of sex or treat it as some mythical thing. It just...happens, like sex tends to. I didn't think horimiya was shonen though.

Also, girls like hori do exist in regards to the above, and they do sometimes have "quirks" to them like the aforementioned uncomfortable stretch, I dated one. Sometimes they take it to extremes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want harem read Renai Boukan, which is a fantastic manga with great characters.

If you don't want harem, read Renai Boukan anyways.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hori is violent and is amused by the thought of her usually careful and empathic boyfriend being a little rough with her in return. On any other topic this would count as playful teasing and it's definitely what Hori sees it as. It's just unfortunate that Miyamura is so obviously uncomfortable in indulging her on that. It doesn't come up very much though, and i've always felt that the reaction of most people here towards it was overblown. Horimiya is good.
Compared to basically every other "violent shoujo heroine" she at least gets called out on it and it's actually a part of her character instead of (solely) a vehicle for humor.

On another note, i found some rare baby pictures of the Gaping Dragon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the real issue with horimaya is that if I ever wanted to read it again I'd need to start from the beginning since hosed if I can remember who any of the side characters are or what their damage is

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Toradora is really good so far. It feels much different from your average shounen romcom. If I had to say what the difference is, it feels more like a genuine comedy and less like it's trying to be a vicarious fantasy for the viewer.

edit: I love the relationship between these two characters. Why can't more shounen romances be like this?

edit2: Glasses guy is like a normal shounen romcom protagonist. He even has the hot childhood friend.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 24, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ytlaya posted:

Toradora is really good so far. It feels much different from your average shounen romcom. If I had to say what the difference is, it feels more like a genuine comedy and less like it's trying to be a vicarious fantasy for the viewer.

edit: I love the relationship between these two characters. Why can't more shounen romances be like this?

edit2: Glasses guy is like a normal shounen romcom protagonist. He even has the hot childhood friend.

:yeah: glad you're liking it!

In Shonen Jump news:
1. :rip: Ole Golazo.
2. A new Tamura series? Yes please, count me in.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat, really? The first three chapters of Ole Golazo were great, Bamba used his own name as a sound effect. :( No idea where it went after that so maybe it deserved it, but it still feels like a shame.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The new manga, Hungry Marie, from the author of Beelzebub is here!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/hungry-marie/en/0/1/page/1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm at episode 10 of Toradora now. I feel like something funny is going on with Kitamura. I feel like he knows everything that is going on with Taiga/Ryuuji liking him/Kushieda.

I liked the scene where Taiga mentions how she is always nervous around Kitamura but feels calm with Ryuuji. Such a nice story.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Allarion posted:

This

This is good

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Asimo posted:

It's pretty clearly doing that already, in the first chapter. Another chapter or two will probably be enough to see if Poro is worth caring about but it's sending off bad warning signs.

At this rate I can only imagine how long it'll be until Jump gets something else new that's decent, let alone good. The last half decent thing that was added was Black Clover, and even that started generically mediocre (if with good art) and rapidly went into the crapper over the past few months. And that started two years ago, I think? Losing Naruto, Toriko, Bleach, Nisekoi, and Assassination Classroom in relatively quick succession has really crippled Jump's lineup. Sure several of those were tanking in the ratings (and Nisekoi wasn't ever good) but I get the feeling a fumbling established property is a better use of the pages than praying for something that could be a multimedia extravaganza to fill the empty slot.

Boruto manga soon friendo

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yaaaaay :shepicide:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Was ok. Not Poro but not U19. A solid middle of the phonebook comic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

It's a little too silly for me. Not awful, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Allarion posted:

I love this. It's goofy in all the right ways. Hopefully it catches on, this guy deserves another long running series.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh yeah, about shounen romance stuff, Adachi's Rough probably fits the bill. Read it the other day, and it was very nice. Guess you could call it a sports manga about swimming, but there's definitely lots of romance, with an ending that seems to have become classic.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Three new Tanaka-kun chapters today :burger:

http://bato.to/reader#4c5c36107654aac7

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I believe we were talking about Horimiya earlier, and a new, great side chapter is out about windy days and hair.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Horimiya/Chapter-071-006?id=347804

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finished the Toradora anime. I really liked it a lot, though some of the drama in the second half wasn't told as clearly as I would have liked. They never really explained why Minori was interested in Takasu. It seemed like she gave no fucks until suddenly she was crushing on him in the second half. I also don't really understand what made Taiga stop liking glasses guy. From what I understand she talked with him about something related to Takasu? I guess she just slowly over time realized she liked Takasu more, but it wasn't shown much. I also was hoping that Kitamura (his friend) would hook up with one of the other girls, since it always kinda bugs me when the MC of romance anime/manga gets literally all the main girl characters.

Also, what the gently caress is it with romance anime/manga and the girl randomly having to leave for some contrived reason at the end?

I still liked it a lot though, even if I kind of preferred the first half. The main couple is probably one of the most satisfying I've seen in a romance anime/manga. Like, I could actually see them marrying each other since we already know they feel comfortable essentially living together.