Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nelson posted:

There's more to attractiveness than outward appearance. But that being said, Matt can probably tell who is beautiful and healthy based on heartbeat and smell.

Even if he couldn't do that he'd definitely be able to sense when all the other men in the room got a hard on when a woman walked in the room and judge her attractiveness that way.

Sometimes having super senses isn't all that great. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

It feels like one of those cases where either it got censored out or they couldn't execute it for whatever reason. Considering the violence of other punisher scenes it doesn't really feel like the former.

It's a budget thing. Netflix isn't exactly splurging on television anymore; they're going for quantity over quality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but not to a degree to know if someone's good looking or not.

Isn't he able to sense the shape of things to a minute degree? He can't see color, but his senses can build a picture of her body and he's probably grown accustomed enough to that to find that picture attractive regardless of the limitations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There are theories that connect facial symmetry to attractiveness. Matt can notice if his blind mind waves break evenly across their nose that they're a hottie. If they go all weird and jagged then he knows he's talking to Kylo Ren.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

HIJK posted:

I understand people are attracted to Elektra, that's fine. What I don't understand is why the Matt Murdock character threw away his entire career because he wanted to get his dick wet, particularly since the lady that he's doing it all for is such a drag. Her physical appearance is only a part of that since she's supposed to be attractice in universe and that's one of the reasons Matt likes her. (See the season 1 dialogue where Foggy accuses him of seeking out beautiful women.)

It's plainly not just because she's hot and Matt is down to gently caress. Matt is a psychologically messed up orphan whose father died and whose mother abandoned him. His most influential father figure outside of his dad is a sociopath doomsday prepper who taught him to be an emotionless kill-machine. Everyone else treats him "like he's made of glass" because of his disability, and even if they don't (Foggy), he can't be honest with them about who he really is or what he can do because it's weird, alienating bullshit. He's a bloated chimera of abandonment issues, Catholic guilt, and barely-restrained violence that he struggles to contain.

Then he meets a super-hot girl who not only isn't condescending to him, but also understands this violent ninja-fighter side to him and is totally into it. It's not about how hot she is, it's about how effortlessly and guiltlessly Matt can "be himself" and live honestly around her. Matt's not going to flirt-spar against Karen Page and then gently caress her while trespassing in a gym; he's going to chastely kiss her in the rain. I can see why Elektra would continue to be a draw, because otherwise he's spending every waking second trying to reconcile all these personas he has.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Heathen posted:

There are theories that connect facial symmetry to attractiveness. Matt can notice if his blind mind waves break evenly across their nose that they're a hottie. If they go all weird and jagged then he knows he's talking to Kylo Ren.

Dude's got, like, an 8-pack, though, or so I've heard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Elektra as the literal sexy violent devil is so damned fun - the flashback episode is a hoot.

But yeah, as soon as they introduce The Hand and start talking about "The Chosen One" I mentally tuned out. Well that and Matt Murdock fighting ninjas in sewers. Oy.

That whole plotline was terrible because it made Elektra boring and it made the scary mystery around what exactly a "Black Sky" is completely asinine. It could've been a demon trapped in a human body, or something else hosed up and scary, but no. It's just Destined to Bring Unbalance to the Force.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kicky-punchy woman turning out to be the black magic ninjas' chosen one was dullest twist imaginable.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xealot posted:

It's plainly not just because she's hot and Matt is down to gently caress. Matt is a psychologically messed up orphan whose father died and whose mother abandoned him. His most influential father figure outside of his dad is a sociopath doomsday prepper who taught him to be an emotionless kill-machine. Everyone else treats him "like he's made of glass" because of his disability, and even if they don't (Foggy), he can't be honest with them about who he really is or what he can do because it's weird, alienating bullshit. He's a bloated chimera of abandonment issues, Catholic guilt, and barely-restrained violence that he struggles to contain.

Then he meets a super-hot girl who not only isn't condescending to him, but also understands this violent ninja-fighter side to him and is totally into it. It's not about how hot she is, it's about how effortlessly and guiltlessly Matt can "be himself" and live honestly around her. Matt's not going to flirt-spar against Karen Page and then gently caress her while trespassing in a gym; he's going to chastely kiss her in the rain. I can see why Elektra would continue to be a draw, because otherwise he's spending every waking second trying to reconcile all these personas he has.

I just didn't see any of that in the show. :shrug: Elektra was two-dimensional and uninteresting, she basically displayed only one character facet by the time we got to the middle of the season, and that character facet was ~smugness~ that she hadn't really earned, because apparently all it takes is for Matt to yell at her and she'll get stabbed, or she needs Matt to go through drawers for her to find her a ledger even though she could go through them pretty quick, or she'll spend all her time hanging off Matt trying to get his attention. (But all this gives Matt a chance to have Noble Man Pain and dozens of scenes where he has the exact same repetitive moral crisis every other episode. So I guess it was just unavoidable no matter what.) By the time we get to Elektra's real motive it's the end of the show and we only got one whole episode to talk about it.

I can see what the showrunners were going for. It's just that it doesn't work for me. It's impossible to get invested in Elektra because she isn't developed in any direction except as Matt's Girl which means she has to be his ideal Kung Fu Psycho Cuh-Raaaazzzy Girlfriend. (Save for that one episode where they decided to jam like five flashbacks to her childhood into one episode.)

She's a cardboard cutout so Matt's ~attraction~ totally falls flat. e: the only part that consistenly comes through is that Matt wants to nail her.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 14, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

HIJK posted:

It's impossible to get invested in Elektra because she isn't developed in any direction except as Matt's Girl which means she has to be his ideal Kung Fu Psycho Cuh-Raaaazzzy Girlfriend.

I don't disagree. My analysis is entirely based on what she means to Matt; she herself isn't necessarily well-drawn.

I'm getting most of this from the flashback scenes. Particularly the one where they're hanging out in the mansion, before she reveals her birthday murder surprise, and they're really physically in sync. Matt's just kind of lounging and relaxed, and Charlie Cox has really different body language than normal. I think the show sold how he felt about her...as a visceral complement in the past, and as an ethical challenge in the present.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xealot posted:

I don't disagree. My analysis is entirely based on what she means to Matt; she herself isn't necessarily well-drawn.

I'm getting most of this from the flashback scenes. Particularly the one where they're hanging out in the mansion, before she reveals her birthday murder surprise, and they're really physically in sync. Matt's just kind of lounging and relaxed, and Charlie Cox has really different body language than normal. I think the show sold how he felt about her...as a visceral complement in the past, and as an ethical challenge in the present.

For me, it's all about presentation. If something isn't presented well than I have a hard time caring about it.

The mansion scene started out amusing but it quickly descended into the same gonzo that follows Elektra through out the series and, well. :shrug: Charlie is good but he can't make "We belong together" sound anything but laughable.

There were too many little things that didn't work for me in their dynamic and Charlie alone can't really save it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That whole plotline was terrible because it made Elektra boring and it made the scary mystery around what exactly a "Black Sky" is completely asinine. It could've been a demon trapped in a human body, or something else hosed up and scary, but no. It's just Destined to Bring Unbalance to the Force.

It kind of makes me think they didn't really discuss what Black Sky was from Season 1, so when the different showrunners took over for Season 2, they just did their best to shoehorn Elektra into it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Isn't he able to sense the shape of things to a minute degree? He can't see color, but his senses can build a picture of her body and he's probably grown accustomed enough to that to find that picture attractive regardless of the limitations.

It's more than a minute degree.

Keeping in mind that that is his brain putting together her smell and various acoustic facets. Must be weird when garbage trucks come round for pick up and he gets that smell but also a good echo view of their face.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Elektra was fun for the ~3 episodes where she was Matt's bad drug, the business lady murder ninja. The first ninja fight is good, then she gets stabbed, Stick shows up, and that whole plot just kind of tanks. You've still got the Frank and Fisk in prison show an episode later, but from then on it's all kind of a slog.

They also over-complicated the Punisher's origin to pad out the episodes. Mob kills his family, he kills the mob, that's the formula, no elaborate conspiracies that waste Clancy Brown needed. I really hope his show gets past the specific family revenge, while also not endorsing him as a hero.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dude who calls himself Daredevil is attracted to dangerous women. Film at 11.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Frank having experienced something in VietnamAfghanistanIraq that hosed him up even before he lost his family isn't a new thing, and in fact is pretty core to the character. Hopefully they don't make it too convoluted and double triple secret conspiracy when they address it on his show. I think they mostly stayed vague about it so Frank's inevitable series would have something to flash back to.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Frank having experienced something in VietnamAfghanistanIraq that hosed him up even before he lost his family isn't a new thing, and in fact is pretty core to the character. Hopefully they don't make it too convoluted and double triple secret conspiracy when they address it on his show. I think they mostly stayed vague about it so Frank's inevitable series would have something to flash back to.

It's going to be connected to the pills guy from Jessica Jones, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's going to be connected to the pills guy from Jessica Jones, right?

Wouldn't surprise me. Nuke's backstory is also tied pretty heavily with Vietnam in the comics.

All you really need is for Frank to have seen or been part of some horrible civilian massacre, though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The Punisher MAX line is choice for stories. I mean, they do get crazy but I can see a story like The Slavers easily being adapted to a mini series. Girls in White Dresses was another one I could see being adaptable and portrayed realistically.

Generally, the overall meta of the Punisher MAX line (Ennis' stories) would work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really hope we don't have more *past* bullshit for The Punisher anymore. He's hosed up from his family dying. Let everything he reacts to be firmly current. I don't want to hear him converse with a dude trying to kill him and "But, dude, we were friends. We fought together!" *gunshots*

Lame. I want him to team u pwith Danny Rand and fight Fin Fang Foom with a mini nuke rocket launcher.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drifter posted:

I really hope we don't have more *past* bullshit for The Punisher anymore. He's hosed up from his family dying. Let everything he reacts to be firmly current. I don't want to hear him converse with a dude trying to kill him and "But, dude, we were friends. We fought together!" *gunshots*

So what you're saying is you don't like The Punisher.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

So what you're saying is you don't like The Punisher.

I love the Punisher. But we already went through him feeling sad about his family. Now I just want him to feel dead inside, a steel-hearted machine clobbering fools who are unaware of his past. Maybe he could scream angrily once in a while, though.

And a knife-gun.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

I love the Punisher. But we already went through him feeling sad about his family. Now I just want him to feel dead inside, a steel-hearted machine clobbering fools who are unaware of his past. Maybe he could scream angrily once in a while, though.

And a knife-gun.

Sure you mean a knife-firing mini-gun, don't you?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Samizdata posted:

Sure you mean a knife-firing mini-gun, don't you?

gun-knife, knife-gun, it's all semantics. Maybe even a rocket launcher that fires a cluster of knife-firing guns on a timer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

gun-knife, knife-gun, it's all semantics. Maybe even a rocket launcher that fires a cluster of knife-firing guns on a timer.

Or a missile launcher that launches a missile full of rocket launchers that fires.... ?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Or a missile launcher that launches a missile full of rocket launchers that fires....

SHOTGUN AXES!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BSam posted:

SHOTGUN AXES!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BSam posted:

SHOTGUN AXES!

Agents of SHIELD already did it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Agents of SHIELD already did it.

Yes, but it's the same universe :colbert:

Bring on the crossovers. All of them!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Iron Fist Featurette is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn49QoKGKr8

Madam Gao's role looks like it might be more interesting than just main antagonist from one of the other Celestial Cities.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"it's not exactly a tattoo. I did it with a sharpie"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

"it's not exactly a tattoo. I did it with a sharpie"

It looks more like latex body paint. Of all the things to be comic book accurate, the dragon blood burn scar that looks like a black tattoo/drawing is among the worst to choose.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The voice at the start of the video which says "Bury your mother. Bury your father. Tell me ... who you are!" sounds an awful lot like Hoon Lee but he's not listed on the imdb.com page for the show. I guess we'll find out in 4 weeks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

New Iron Fist Featurette is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn49QoKGKr8

Madam Gao's role looks like it might be more interesting than just main antagonist from one of the other Celestial Cities.

The first comment has it about right:

Said in a hopeful tone of voice posted:

So this is like Arrow? But not stupid?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

Said in a hopeful tone of voice posted:

So this is like Arrow? But not stupid?

In case anyone was curious, Iron Fist had his "super wealthy orphan raised by benevolent Himalayan monks as an ultimate warrior until he's ready to return to the West as an adult" origin in the 70s but Green Arrow didn't get his "super wealthy orphan abandoned on a desert island" origin until 1985. The original 1940s Green Arrow started out as a wealthy guy who was good with a bow & arrow because he was a Native American historian.

But Amazing-Man had the "orphan raised by benevolent Himalayan monks as an ultimate warrior until he's ready to return to the West as an adult" origin wayyyy back in 1939.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In case anyone was curious, Iron Fist had his "super wealthy orphan raised by benevolent Himalayan monks as an ultimate warrior until he's ready to return to the West as an adult" origin in the 70s but Green Arrow didn't get his "super wealthy orphan abandoned on a desert island" origin until 1985. The original 1940s Green Arrow started out as a wealthy guy who was good with a bow & arrow because he was a Native American historian.

But Amazing-Man had the "orphan raised by benevolent Himalayan monks as an ultimate warrior until he's ready to return to the West as an adult" origin wayyyy back in 1939.

I was only referring the CW tv show, but it's pretty interesting to see how comics have both changed and stayed the same over half a century.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gyges posted:

It looks more like latex body paint. Of all the things to be comic book accurate, the dragon blood burn scar that looks like a black tattoo/drawing is among the worst to choose.

I couldn't look away from his nipples and his soft, hairless chest.

Waxed chest and permed blonde hair - fear me!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

Except probably pretty stupid.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aphrodite posted:

God I hope so. If your ideal iron fist show isnt openly, unashamedly and exuberantly dumb as gently caress then we disagree on whats awesome about iron fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Aphrodite posted:

Well, they might go for an action comedy.