Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hope we can all agree that Spock's beard is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BigFactory posted:

i think their earliest albums had a certain charm, but i'm not going to argue your statement

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some PoS can feel academic to me. But I still think that Remedy Lane is a classic.

Also, I listened to some Flower Kings for the first time in a decade the other day. The first like, 10 minutes of I Am The Sun are pretty good. I just get bored with the remaining parts. :haw:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've only ever listened to The Perfect Element and was never big on it. Is old PoS worth listening to if I couldn't get into that record much?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've only ever listened to The Perfect Element and was never big on it. Is old PoS worth listening to if I couldn't get into that record much?

Remedy Lane, yes ;). It, despite clearly being a concept album and dicking about with wack time signatures and polyrhythms is probably the least overtly proggy of all their stuff. It's also one of the few albums of theirs that I can engage with in more than an intellectual way. Also two thirds of the songs on the album have distinct personalities that I can actually recall and not just a whole bunch of samey prog stuff. And I'll be blunt there are probably a few legitimate hooks on that album which I really dig. And finally, when they do do something intellectual it actually comes in service of the music and not a "hey look how cool we are" kinda way.

I mean having said that, you may still not like it, but for those reasons it's my favourite album.

I don't hold the rest of the early stuff in high regard, and I haven't listened to them in ages. My memory of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is it's an example of everything I dislike about PoS in one album: dispassionate and intellectual music and subject matter. But man, New Years Eve is still one of my favourite songs of theirs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

algebra testes posted:

Remedy Lane, yes ;). It, despite clearly being a concept album and dicking about with wack time signatures and polyrhythms is probably the least overtly proggy of all their stuff. It's also one of the few albums of theirs that I can engage with in more than an intellectual way. Also two thirds of the songs on the album have distinct personalities that I can actually recall and not just a whole bunch of samey prog stuff. And I'll be blunt there are probably a few legitimate hooks on that album which I really dig. And finally, when they do do something intellectual it actually comes in service of the music and not a "hey look how cool we are" kinda way.

I mean having said that, you may still not like it, but for those reasons it's my favourite album.

I don't hold the rest of the early stuff in high regard, and I haven't listened to them in ages. My memory of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is it's an example of everything I dislike about PoS in one album: dispassionate and intellectual music and subject matter. But man, New Years Eve is still one of my favourite songs of theirs.
Remedy Lane is also fascinating from a production standpoint, because beyond the writing, the songs seem to have been individually recorded and mixed in a way that complements the themes and feel of each song, rather than finding a single melange that works well enough to bind the whole thing together. It's one of my favorite production jobs in all music.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So I finished a new album with my little prog rock recording project, hope you guys like this: https://soundcloud.com/metamusique/sets/spatterlight

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jaki Liebezeit died.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Noooooo. :(

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If you like Riverside/Pain of Salvation/Haken style Prog Metal, Odd Logic recently released an album called Effigy and it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJzZedJlqRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtbApK1nc8

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's me. I'm the one who keeps buying Rick Wakeman albums on vinyl.

But drat if Judas Iscariot might be the best thing he's ever done solo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Finally got to listen to the latest PoS. Really enjoyed the first and the last tracks on it, but everything else in between was very uneven for me. Tongue of God, Reasons, and If This Is the End are the only one that I can still somewhat recall. Not a bad album overall, but I'd still grade it a bit lower than Road Salt.

In other news, Ayreon's new single is predictably amazing. Hyped for Arjen's new project as always.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The smoke is rising
The vision's getting clearer

It's nearly time for more Ayreon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 27, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Aw Arjen always brings a smile to my face because he's so earnest about producing his goofy sci-fi prog without being at all pretentious. The captions on that video were charming as hell and I am totally down for another Ayreon album

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001
Apologies if this has already been covered, this is a pretty large thread and I haven't had time to read the whole thing, but does anyone know if Red Sparowes are still around or not and if we can expect anything from them in future? I loved The Fear Is Excruciating, as well as their earlier stuff.

Everything I've seen about them on their website and Wikipedia reads like they're still going, but it's been a loooooong time. Does anyone have any info?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alehkhs posted:

The smoke is rising
The vision's getting clearer

It's nearly time for more Ayreon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU

Wow, James LaBrie sounds a lot like Jasper Steverlinck (from the Guilt Machine album) here.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

John Wetton has died.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Iucounu posted:

John Wetton has died.

Confirmed by Robert on FB. :(

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1604497806232910&id=100000181177250

Godspeed, Mr. Wetton.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
God dammit stop taking King Crimson vocalist/bassists! Wetton era best era.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

God dammit stop taking King Crimson vocalist/bassists! Wetton era best era.
Agreed, the Wetton albums are the best. Starless is one of my three all-time favourite songs.

Guess I'm listening to King Crimson tonight.

Edit: for anyone who didn't know, the first version of Starless was written by Wetton.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 31, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I never liked Wetton's voice much though it has a certain rough appeal, but his heavy bass style was so great and such an essential part of the sound of those years.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was fortunate enough to see him perform with UK in 2012, and that's a memory I'll treasure always.

Here's the performance of Starless that gives me chills everytime. It had only made its live debut a few months prior to this, and would only get performed three more times before this lineup broke up. And you can hear an audience member ecstatically shout out at the beginning, "THEY'RE PLAYING STARLESS! ALRIIIIIIIGHT!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eouGk11Ps

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 31, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
From DGM Live, Robert's comments on John Wetton's passing. Touching.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_Jan_31

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Nova Collective are a new side project super group featuring Dan Briggs (bassist for Between the Buried and Me) as well as members of Haken, Cynic, and Trioscapes. Their debut album, The Further Side, releases on March 10th. But they've posted one track pre-release, and it is really awesome. Excited to hear the rest of the tape and thought some of you might enjoy this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WEIvyaTTY

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I finally got around to listening to the last Riverside album, and jeez, is any prog band worse at using Autotune than these guys?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigFactory posted:

I liked that one song they did. I think it was the Doorway? Couldn't really get into much of their other stuff though.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigFactory posted:

I like that one song they did back in the 90s. I think it was called "The Doorway"? Was never able to get into much of their other stuff though.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The entire album "V" is pretty good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good for nothin'!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

algebra testes posted:

PoS is the one prog band that actually justifies their concept albums. A lot of their stuff sounds super pretentious until you realize that they're not just playing random goofy instruments or writing lyrics about god. They develop their themes deeply, both with music and lyrics, and they form very coherent albums. The only exception I think is The Perfect Element, which had a really loose concept, but also had some of their best musical moments.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

PoS is the one prog band that actually justifies their concept albums. A lot of their stuff sounds super pretentious until you realize that they're not just playing random goofy instruments or writing lyrics about god. They develop their themes deeply, both with music and lyrics, and they form very coherent albums. The only exception I think is The Perfect Element, which had a really loose concept, but also had some of their best musical moments.
Daniel also has the emotionality to carry his concepts through execution, where most other singers just cannot pull off a song with lyrics like "Undertow".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vulture Culture posted:

Daniel also has the emotionality to carry his concepts through execution, where most other singers just cannot pull off a song with lyrics like "Undertow".

Yeah, those are terrible lyrics. You'd have to be a magician to make them work.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

PoS is the one prog band that actually justifies their concept albums. A lot of their stuff sounds super pretentious until you realize that they're not just playing random goofy instruments or writing lyrics about god.

Except for BE, a super pretentious album with random goofy instruments and lyrics about God

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

deadwing posted:

Except for BE, a super pretentious album with random goofy instruments and lyrics about God
The lyrics about God were the least bad parts of that album, though (that distinction undoubtedly goes to the monologue in the beginning of "Dea Pecuniae", then to Daniel's answering machine messages from fans)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Here's Trey Anastasio's high school band playing hemispheres. Enjoy!

https://m.soundcloud.com/tthephishdjs/1982-12-07-hemispheres-space-antelope

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

2017 tour dates for King Crimson:

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/KC_Radical_Action_2017

• 13th June - Seattle, WA - Moore Theatre
  • 15th June - Saratoga, CA - Mountain Winery
  • 17th June - San Francisco, CA - to be confirmed
  • 19th June - San Diego, CA - Humphrey's
  • 21st June - Los Angeles, CA - to be confirmed
  • 24th June - Denver, CO - to be confirmed
  • 26th June - Minneapolis, MN - to be confirmed
  • 28th June - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
  • 30th June - Rochester, NY - Kodak Hall
  • 3rd July - Montreal QC -Montreal Jazz Festival
  • 5th July - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall
  • 7th July - Quebec, QC - to be confirmed
  • 9th July - Red Bank, NJ - Count Basie Theatre
  • 14th July - Mexico City - to be confirmed
  • 15th July - Mexico City - to be confirmed

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
No northeast US dates. That's weird.
Except rochester NY cause I can't read. Still, rochester is practically canadohio as far as getting there from places where people live.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The link indicates that there will be further dates in Autumn, including NYC.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Any idea when tickets will go on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I haven't seen king crimson in years. I liked that club tour they did with Living Colour.

Holy cow that was almost 15 years ago.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 23, 2017