Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Demerine posted:

So, as a part of the Beyond Chaos run with Liquidy and Feyer, I'll be handling a partyparty seed on the side. Still trying to figure out the best method of presentation.

I could have started two days ago, but I'm an idiot and didn't get the file from Liquidy.

You're welcome.

To clarify, since I don't think I've mentioned it in the thread yet: a Youtube commenter brought an interesting thing to my attention. The randomizer has a secret code you can put in! After you choose a new seed and the randomizer is asking you which flags you want to activate, you type in PARTYPARTY instead, and it'll randomize even more poo poo. Before the partyparty effect, major NPCs and the like remained largely the same, save for palette changes. Now any character sprite can go anywhere, even if they're missing specific frames from their sprite sheet. For example, morphed Terra doesn't have a ride chocobo/magitek armor profile view sprite, so if your partyparty seed happens to change all imperial soldiers to morphed Terras, they will briefly turn back into soldiers if they're riding magitek and turn sideways :v:

It also does extremely rude things to equipment. Relics no longer do what they say, and worse yet they can have effects I don't recall any relics ever having. How about a Back Guard that doesn't prevent back or pincer attacks, and also just intrinsically muddles the character wearing it? That's a thing that happened on the (new) seed I'm running on my phone.

Initially I was a little annoyed that the randomizer has a secret code to shuffle things even further than it already does. I mean, why hide a MORE SHUFFLING option when the explicit purpose of your hack is to shuffle stuff around? Now that I'm getting a better look at what exactly it can play with, I'm less annoyed. They probably could have gotten away with calling it the 'Unplayable' flag, so it wouldn't have to be a secret, but if you're trying out the randomizer for yourself I would recommend sticking with the vanilla flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh god that sounds insane. Godspeed Demerine.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There are actually more secret codes than that, but the developer only implemented them to test various parts of the randomizer. They're in the project README, for those interested. (And the way they're pulled in means you can use standard flags in addition. :D)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure if it was recommended in this thread or another, but to whoever posted the "Metroid: Rogue Dawn" OG Metroid romhack; Thank you. I'm super bad at it but it looks and plays amazingly. The poo poo they got the Metroid one engine to do in it... Just neat.

The ReadMe is some adorable "My original character don't steal that is totally not Samus' sister could totally save the franchise Nintendo please call me!", but the hack itself is real good.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

RickVoid posted:

Not sure if it was recommended in this thread or another, but to whoever posted the "Metroid: Rogue Dawn" OG Metroid romhack; Thank you. I'm super bad at it but it looks and plays amazingly. The poo poo they got the Metroid one engine to do in it... Just neat.

The ReadMe is some adorable "My original character don't steal that is totally not Samus' sister could totally save the franchise Nintendo please call me!", but the hack itself is real good.

I've had a really fun time playing it, I think I've hit a roadblock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. It is a heck of a technical achievement though. Metroid: Rogue Dawn really should be given a try by anyone who enjoys metroid games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JossiRossi posted:

I've had a really fun time playing it, I think I've hit a roadblock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. It is a heck of a technical achievement though. Metroid: Rogue Dawn really should be given a try by anyone who enjoys metroid games.

Apparently the author plans to iron out a few wrinkles soon. I'll probably try it out then.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
re Mario, I think it's very telling that half of the judges rated the shitpost level very highly on aesthetics/creativity, and the other half the exact opposite.

I, for one, love it.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
This, more than anything else, proves that Himajin desperately needed an editor that could tell him one thing.

ROCKMAN CX #8: Cheat Man
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, El Generico, NGDBSS, and Simply Simon)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

"There is a reason for that".

Oh boy there really is.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Metropolis was never meant to be remade in Mega Man's soundfont.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's a Ratchet & Clank song. It, uh, did not translate well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the exact kind of thing that I can laugh at entirely because I am not playing it.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the exact kind of thing that I can laugh at entirely because I am not playing it.

The funniest part of Cheat Man is that he's entirely RNG-based, so there's a fair chance he'll just hang out in the sky and use none of his completely awful moves. Or he'll just spam deleting the floor forever.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 3 - R-Nuke it From Orbit :siren:

R-Nuke turns out to be a very fun command. Very, very fun :shepface:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
OK, so I could get behind Cheat Man if it was a gimmick fight, where he'd cheat until you found a way to make him stop, whereupon the fight could begin for real, because a lot of the stunts the romhacker pulled there are actually really, really funny if they're only there as part of a 'stop the cheating' boss schtick. They became significantly less funny when it became clear that no, you have to fight him as is.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

liquidypoo posted:

Playing along with the LP, my first time using R-Nuke got me Crusader. :allears:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

liquidypoo posted:

Good to know R-Nuke has a slight chance of backfiring on you, it would be totally overpowered otherwise! :v:

People get mad when they find out I bought a used FF6 SNES cart for only $30 about 7 years ago. Then they get even madder when they find out I never beat it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Good to know R-Nuke has a slight chance of backfiring on you, it would be totally overpowered otherwise! :v:

People get mad when they find out I bought a used FF6 SNES cart for only $30 about 7 years ago. Then they get even madder when they find out I never beat it.

It's extremely good and you should play it, especially if you have a SNES on which to play it. Definitely top 3 all-time game for me, seeing two LPs of it in here really makes me want to play it again. Still have my SNES cart from when it was first released!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So originally I was going to hold off science until episode 4, but no, no science must be done.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 24, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At this point, nothing can shock Simon. He's been turned into a bitter cynic thanks to Rockman 2 CX.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

liquidypoo posted:

This was quite a meeting.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 9

gently caress Turtle Rock.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Just step on the button!
Forget the rod, just, walk on the drat thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gimbal lock posted:

Just step on the button!
Forget the rod, just, walk on the drat thing.

Yeah, this. I mean, Turtle Rock is bullshit, but this one is on you.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I feel like not putting the silver arrows in the rear end end of nowhere was a missed opportunity.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Should have made Ganon drop the Silver Arrows.

Actually I've been meaning to ask, is there some kind of feature in the randomizer that prevents the game from going into an unwinnable state somehow?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I feel like not putting the silver arrows in the rear end end of nowhere was a missed opportunity.

I don't think it's possible to randomize the silver arrows, because if you throw the regular bow and arrows into the fat fairy fountain and get a completely different item back, you lose the bow completely.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually I've been meaning to ask, is there some kind of feature in the randomizer that prevents the game from going into an unwinnable state somehow?

AFAIK the creator of the randomizer just manually created pools of items that could possibly be in each location and adjusts what items are in what pools to try to prevent most unwinnable states, but it's clearly a balancing act because it is clearly set out to encourage sequence breaking and glitch exploitation to get around certain things. And you can always beat Ganon from the start of the game so long as you have the fire rod or lantern, if you use major glitches.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I don't think it's possible to randomize the silver arrows, because if you throw the regular bow and arrows into the fat fairy fountain and get a completely different item back, you lose the bow completely.

AFAIK the creator of the randomizer just manually created pools of items that could possibly be in each location and adjusts what items are in what pools to try to prevent most unwinnable states, but it's clearly a balancing act because it is clearly set out to encourage sequence breaking and glitch exploitation to get around certain things. And you can always beat Ganon from the start of the game so long as you have the fire rod or lantern, if you use major glitches.

I know the super metroid randomizer has a lot of checks built in but it is many versions in at this point. It is theoretically impossible to get an unwinnable seed.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

So originally I was going to hold off science until episode 4, but no, no science must be done.

Regarding the chests that you can open later for better items: the randomizer removes that feature. Just open them as soon as you see them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Every single zelda based lp I've watched, every single one, has the player think they have to do some fancy trick (whether to show off or to progress or whatever) that will bite them in the rear end repeatedly. This button is circlmaster's

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Every single zelda based lp I've watched, every single one, has the player think they have to do some fancy trick (whether to show off or to progress or whatever) that will bite them in the rear end repeatedly. This button is circlmaster's

I have no excuse. I just misremembered and thought it was a button that had to be held down rather than toggled. In my defense, when I'm recording the emulator doesn't feed me sound (so I can't hear beeping heart warning either) so I had no audio cue about the button.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

FPzero posted:

This one's pretty long because there were two levels that just wouldn't end.

More importantly, when developing a level and its theme, sometimes you have to realize that you really should stick to one idea instead of cramming in multiple ideas. The first level is a perfect example of trying to do too much and not focusing on the part that actually works best.

And make sure your fog settings work.

Posting from the distant past to say that the music you couldn't identify was actually from a pretty underrated mid-90s PC game that used the mod tracker format. It just doesn't feel like a good fit for a mario game, really.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

CirclMastr posted:

I have no excuse. I just misremembered and thought it was a button that had to be held down rather than toggled. In my defense, when I'm recording the emulator doesn't feed me sound (so I can't hear beeping heart warning either) so I had no audio cue about the button.

This explains a lot of things actually

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 9

gently caress Turtle Rock.
Wow, you got lucky entering Turtle Rock, though, because I'm pretty sure those chimes meant you did in fact hit the posts in the right order.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Wow, you got lucky entering Turtle Rock, though, because I'm pretty sure those chimes meant you did in fact hit the posts in the right order.

The order is inexplicably easy for me to remember.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CirclMastr posted:

In my defense, when I'm recording the emulator doesn't feed me sound (so I can't hear beeping heart warning either) so I had no audio cue about the button.

You must have some weird audio settings going on because that ain't normal

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

tiistai posted:

You must have some weird audio settings going on because that ain't normal

He was using Snes9x's bulit-in recorder which kills the sound while recording.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Combat Lobster posted:

He was using Snes9x's bulit-in recorder which kills the sound while recording.

The direct avi recording? Oh okay, I forgot about that.

Well, technically, there's ways around that too though. Like recording with OBS or whatever although that might screw with the setup, or first capturing a snes9x movie file and then playing and recording that to avi although that'll obviously basically double the time spent on recording.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Part Three: Running Through City Streets and Mountain Passes is up, along with a Characters page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Some really solid levels today. Only real thing to note is that Layer 2 can be really difficult to time with line guided objects especially without an autoscroller to dictate exactly when Mario will reach a specific part. Lots of careful testing has to be done here.

• Locked thread