Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Are you angry at chicken for being nuggets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Holy poo poo. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the cancellation tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the loving gently caress did it get cancelled? This can't be happening. I'm having a loving breakdown. I don't want to believe Nintendo is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Nintendo to be the console leader and fix this cancelled preorder. I cannot loving deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought they were selling well in New York???? This is so hosed.

is a post on that reddit thread

Uhhhh, I think he means Cucko Nuggets.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cool

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Hedrigall posted:

is a post on that reddit thread

It's a rephrase of a story /pol/ made up to make Sanders supporters seem stupid which spread to /r/the_donald and then the rest of reddit.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've been playing OoT3D, and it struck me just how drat SIMPLE this game is compared to everything we've seen of Breath of the Wild. Like, it may as well be the original NES game compared to what we're seeing now. As a kid, it really felt like I was exploring the kingdom of Hyrule. But now it's like playing through the abstract concept of Hyrule, and BotW is the real deal.

What it really made me realize though is just how drat glad I am that they've totally upended the formula established by ALttP. Obviously, I love these games and I love that formula, but Skyward Sword felt like they had finally hit a creative dead end. I really enjoyed it but I also would be fine if I never played it again – and I only went through it twice. Yeah, there are new items and new settings and new puzzles each time, but the games were still being based on a formula established by 20 year old technology.

BotW is not a game they could have really made before now. Yeah, it's taking a lot of cues from Elder Scrolls, but none of them were quite the massive and certainly never looked so goddamn good and smooth. I'm excited to see the new direction the series is gonna take from here on out. I'm hoping BotW actually is as good as it looks, but even if it isn't, we're getting a game unlike any in the series before.

I wish this post had been as cohesive as the thoughts in my head, but I've worked 25 hours in the last 2 days and it's 5 AM so gently caress off if you care.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

OOT3D definitely feels quaint just because it's world is so small scale. There's only really one of everything. It's super weird that the village is like, 20 metres from the castle town. It's next door to the only other piece of Hylian civilisation.

The time mechanic in OOT and MM was genius, because it let them add variety to such a small world.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

well why not posted:

OOT3D definitely feels quaint just because it's world is so small scale. There's only really one of everything. It's super weird that the village is like, 20 metres from the castle town. It's next door to the only other piece of Hylian civilisation.

The time mechanic in OOT and MM was genius, because it let them add variety to such a small world.

I think I was 15 or so when OOT came out and Hyrule Field felt huge. I know its hard to believe but when you first step out on it, it felt like what we're seeing in BotW when Link first leaves the cave. It's just that games have progressed so much in 20 years. Now we have come to expect huge landscapes but back then, it took a whole 10 minutes to go across the world and that's on a horse! We've come a long way.

This game will be out in a week. This is both cool and good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

What it really made me realize though is just how drat glad I am that they've totally upended the formula established by ALttP. Obviously, I love these games and I love that formula, but Skyward Sword felt like they had finally hit a creative dead end.

FooF posted:

I think I was 15 or so when OOT came out and Hyrule Field felt huge. I know its hard to believe but when you first step out on it, it felt like what we're seeing in BotW when Link first leaves the cave. It's just that games have progressed so much in 20 years. Now we have come to expect huge landscapes but back then, it took a whole 10 minutes to go across the world and that's on a horse! We've come a long way.

100% agreed on both these points. OoT Hyrule Field was seriously the most impressive poo poo ever as a wide-eyed 8-year old hungry from months of N64 magazine hype.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Majora's Mask felt like it was a real living world when I was a kid. Load it up now and it's obviously pretty simple, but I used to spend hours wandering around town seeing what people were doing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Certain aspects of OoT scared the crap outta me as a kid. Things like the creepy music in the Forest Temple, the re-deads in Hyrule Castle market, everything to do with the Bottom of the Well, etc. And its funny, because those things wouldn't scare me now if I experienced them for the first time, but they still creep me out only because I think its like muscle memory from when I was a kid.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FooF posted:

Yeah, when you're a kid and experiencing this 'cutting edge' stuff, you are totally blind to these faults. OOT3D is a great revamp, but it's still definitely an old game. I didn't remember how blocky and blurry everything looked until I looked them up. In my mind it still looks crisp and clear, with bright colours. Honestly, OOT3D is close to how I remember it looking as a kid.

Also, a few years back I played an emulated version with a 'toon' style texture swap. It also updated UI graphics and a few other aesthetic things. I'd actually recommend checking it out to anyone with an interest. It wasn't full-on Windwaker cell-shading, but rather leant into the simplicity of the models. Paired with an HD output, it's quite neat :

This was years ago, however, so things may be a bit different due to mod creator drama or the sands of time wearing it down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The 3D versions are too much for me. The Wii virtual console crispness is how I remember them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Certain aspects of OoT scared the crap outta me as a kid. Things like the creepy music in the Forest Temple, the re-deads in Hyrule Castle market, everything to do with the Bottom of the Well, etc. And its funny, because those things wouldn't scare me now if I experienced them for the first time, but they still creep me out only because I think its like muscle memory from when I was a kid.
yeah even a lot of the sound cues and stuff still freak me out. Game was like sensory/immersion overload for an 8-year-old, I don't think I ever finished it amd I associate so much stuff about it with really vivid memories/feelings. I'm not even a massive Zelda fan (I like the series a lot, just wouldn't call it one of my favourites ever) so it's weird that OOT is the only game that really brings out that kind of reaction in me. Something very evocative about it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Both of the 64 Zeldas have that affect on me. The really intense morbidity in a game that's generally pretty sunny & cheerful got to me as a kid. Bottom of the well felt really hosed up! The music is really uncomfortable as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZL4EpC0Ok

Everything sounds vaguely vocal and atonal. It kinda throbs and breathes. There's not much of a clear melody, compared to other sections. Forest Temple is creepy, too, but in a more mysterious, deep forest way. Less pure dread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

well why not posted:

Yeah, when you're a kid and experiencing this 'cutting edge' stuff, you are totally blind to these faults. OOT3D is a great revamp, but it's still definitely an old game. I didn't remember how blocky and blurry everything looked until I looked them up. In my mind it still looks crisp and clear, with bright colours. Honestly, OOT3D is close to how I remember it looking as a kid.

Also, a few years back I played an emulated version with a 'toon' style texture swap. It also updated UI graphics and a few other aesthetic things. I'd actually recommend checking it out to anyone with an interest. It wasn't full-on Windwaker cell-shading, but rather leant into the simplicity of the models. Paired with an HD output, it's quite neat :

This was years ago, however, so things may be a bit different due to mod creator drama or the sands of time wearing it down.

That's Djipi's mod and it's pretty great. There was of course drama and I'm not sure where it's hosted now. The real shame is that someone was working on making the pre rendered backgrounds to match and in HD and then their hard drive crashed and they didn't want to start back up from scratch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

well why not posted:

Both of the 64 Zeldas have that affect on me. The really intense morbidity in a game that's generally pretty sunny & cheerful got to me as a kid. Bottom of the well felt really hosed up! The music is really uncomfortable as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZL4EpC0Ok

Everything sounds vaguely vocal and atonal. It kinda throbs and breathes. There's not much of a clear melody, compared to other sections. Forest Temple is creepy, too, but in a more mysterious, deep forest way. Less pure dread.

Man that soundtrack is so good, most of the temples feel borderline horror-ambient, makes you feel not welcomed at all/this isn't a place one should venture into..they haven't made anything as good since, kinda got spoiled from the get-go. And then you got all the melodic overworld songs that turned to instant classics...God bless fire temple and it's chanting

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MM is a game that keeps on giving because you enjoy it as a kid and then you get to replay it as an adult and notice all the really dark poo poo you missed as a kid

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FooF posted:

Now we have come to expect huge landscapes but back then, it took a whole 10 minutes to go across the world and that's on a horse! We've come a long way.

Even ten minutes is an overestimation. Pretty sure the Biggoron sword required you to go from Lake Hylia to the top of Death Mountain in three minutes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even ten minutes is an overestimation. Pretty sure the Biggoron sword required you to go from Lake Hylia to the top of Death Mountain in three minutes.

That was the coolest poo poo. How many zelda games had those crazy item exchanging quests for best weapons? I remember Link's Awakening had one too

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Calaveron posted:

That was the coolest poo poo. How many zelda games had those crazy item exchanging quests for best weapons? I remember Link's Awakening had one too

LA had the item exchange quest to unlock the path through the windfish's egg, the best sword was just collecting seashells. The best weapon was just equipping your bow and bombs at the same time and mashing them together.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I paid off my preorder on the WiiU version today. I can't wait!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wonder if those "missing" master editions from amazon are going to get reposted at any point.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I must have missed a key somewhere, boys is behind a locked door in level 4.

I'll beat you before botw, Zelda 1!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, in my excitement to buy this game I didn't notice until today that I had purchased the Wii U version on amazon, whoops! So uh, I guess I have a copy of the Wii U version I can potentially sell to someone next week!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

I must have missed a key somewhere, boys is behind a locked door in level 4.

I'll beat you before botw, Zelda 1!

You can use any key from any dungeon for the locked doors in Zelda 1. I usually end the game with like 10 extra keys.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Eagle posted:

You can use any key from any dungeon for the locked doors in Zelda 1. I usually end the game with like 10 extra keys.

Yeah, I think that's what messed me up. I found level 3 first, beat it except the boss, went around and found level 1, beat it, found level 4 and mucked around, found level 2 and beat it, beat level 3...

I'm all sorts of out of order so I think I'm going to need to buy a key. I have no idea where I missed one

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Re-deads were the only thing I distinctly remember bothering me in OoT.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inverness posted:

Re-deads were the only thing I distinctly remember bothering me in OoT.

Re-deads, Wallmaster & Deadhand do it for me. Wallmaster is also one of the most frustrating enemies in any game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ocarina has the best 3D dungeons of Zelda once you're Adult Link

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

:yeah:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what's cool about OOT is that it was first and basically set every standard for 3D puzzles.

between it and Mario there's so much innovation it's crazy. first gen 3D had size change and time travel done well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was cool that some things in the past changed in the future.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

A lot of them boil down to navigating to the spot where you can shoot the hookshot target or the arrow switch, but this should not be taken as a complaint. Link has a nice simple kit in that game, and the extremely vertical design of all the dungeons makes excellent use of it.

I think I have to give the edge in dungeon design to Skyward Sword, however.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It was cool that some things in the past changed in the future.

Song of Storms blew my mind when I was 12.

What timeline did that song come from, Nintendo? Tell me!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Haha, you're right though (:spergin:) it's four minutes. I remember completing it in under that, though so your point is still well made. God, it felt bigger than that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but what about that one race that's physically impossible to beat and doesn't give a reward even if you cheat?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked how the fastest way to cross Hyrule Field in OoT was to run backwards.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Did rolling increase speed in OoT, or was it a placebo? I remember rolling non-stop every second I played that game, because it definitely felt faster than running.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RCarr posted:

Did rolling increase speed in OoT, or was it a placebo? I remember rolling non-stop every second I played that game, because it definitely felt faster than running.

speedgamers do it so probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

RCarr posted:

Rolling is faster than walking, and walking backwards while Z-Targeting is faster than rolling, for some reason.