Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope he does because then for once the obvious underdog gets to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

tweet my meat posted:

I honestly think Robinson might take it, leaving the kures to take a more behind the scenes role for the tournament. The kure clan seems important to the story, but none of the important ones seem to be on the bracket. This guy doesn't seem to have much to him other than "is really crazy and obnoxious"

I'm worried that his skillset of grappling and jointlocks is gonna overlap too much with the gambling tournament-crasher who stole a spot on the boat, but otherwise I am too hoping for his win. I am anxious to see the ways an insanely overprotective priest fellow is gonna let loose.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I definitely think we're due for an underdog win

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

This guy doesn't seem to have much to him other than "is really crazy and obnoxious"

Nah, he'll have some other ridiculous thing going on involving his ~bloodline~.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I hope the priest wins because there are already enough Kures running around and Raian seems like the most boring one.

Also I really like the name Mokichi Robinson.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope Rihito gets far in the tourney surprising everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I hope Rihito gets far in the tourney surprising everyone.

Same here, Rihito owns. I feel like if he were more creative there are a lot of ways he could use his superhuman fingers/grip strength.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

Same here, Rihito owns. I feel like if he were more creative there are a lot of ways he could use his superhuman fingers/grip strength.

Yeah, hopefully he learned from his loss to Ohma and developed more techniques than "give 'em a pinch".

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Yeah, hopefully he learned from his loss to Ohma and developed more techniques than "give 'em a pinch".

By the end of the series he'll be pinching the fabric of reality, TTGL style.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

He's not really pinching people so much as scraping their skin/flesh off because his fingers are so strong they can be kept firmly in the same position no matter how much force he applies to them.

I feel like he would be well suited to some sort of grappling martial art, like Robinson in this chapter. There's no way Rihito would lose to anyone with the "hand-wrestling" thing that happened this chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He would lose to Hanayama Kaoru

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nice to see that Rihito was furious and covered in blood because the guy shot blood all over him like a horned toad lol.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
raian just seems like a worse adam dudley, imo.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Nice to see that Rihito was furious and covered in blood because the guy shot blood all over him like a horned toad lol.

I hope we get a flashback that shows off just what the gently caress actually happened in that bathroom. Both seemed completely unharmed despite it all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I hope we get a flashback that shows off just what the gently caress actually happened in that bathroom. Both seemed completely unharmed despite it all.

Raian whipped out his dick and pissed blood all over Rihito.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AnonSpore posted:

He would lose to Hanayama Kaoru
:yeah:

Ytlaya posted:

Raian whipped out his dick and pissed blood all over Rihito.
That's Shounen for hello.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Begemot posted:

I hope the priest wins because there are already enough Kures running around and Raian seems like the most boring one.

Also I really like the name Mokichi Robinson.

Is it possible Robinson was partially inspired by Mozgus from Berserk? Both are super calm, tranquil priest characters, who suddenly have episodes of explosive rage.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedah posted:

Is it possible Robinson was partially inspired by Mozgus from Berserk? Both are super calm, tranquil priest characters, who suddenly have episodes of explosive rage.

He could also be based on a real-life Japanese religious figure called Mokichi Okada.

quote:

Mokichi Okada (岡田茂吉 Okada Mokichi, 23 December 1882 – 10 February 1955) was the founder of the Church of World Messianity, in which he is known by the honorific title Meishū-sama (明主様, lit. "Lord of Light"). He is also the founder of Johrei, a healing ritual that claims to use "divine light" to dissolve the spiritual impurities that are the source of all physical, emotional, and personal problems. According to his official biography,[1] Okada was born to a poor family in Tokyo and, after many trials and tribulations, eventually made his fortune in the jewellery business.

Initially a follower of Shinto offshoot Oomoto,[2] Okada claimed to have received a special revelation from God in 1926, leading him to found a new religion in 1935 to spread the teachings. Okada soon expanded to open a rehabilitation center centering on the healing powers of light, but it was shut down in 1936 as a violation of the Medical Practitioners' Law (医師法違反).[3]

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 54

REST IN PEACE

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love Rihito and I hope he gets it going with Miss Rino

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

This release schedule is literally killing me, knowing there's so much more stuff out there

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mikazuchi Rei has his priorities right.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Mikazuchi Rei has his priorities right.

I was sold on Robinson being inspired by Mokichi Okada, but the backstory we got in this chapter was pretty cool, too.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 2, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"Maybe some sort of a gi with... short pants?"

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedah posted:

I was sold on Robinson being inspired by Mokichi Okada, but the backstory we got in this chapter was pretty cool, too.

The name of Mokichi's martial art style (Baritsu) is based on a fictional martial arts in Sherlock Holmes, but the description of Mokichi's fighting style and his ancestor's backstory is based on a real fighting style (Bartitsu) that Sherlock Holmes' Baritsu is also based on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritsu posted:

Baritsu

Baritsu is the name given to a form of martial art described by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Empty House", the first of The Return of Sherlock Holmes, to explain how Holmes had managed to avoid falling into the Reichenbach Falls with Professor Moriarty as described in the story "The Final Problem". "The Adventure of the Empty House" was first published in Collier's on 26 September 1903.[1][2]

It is almost certainly a misspelling of the real martial art of Bartitsu, which existed in Britain around the time Doyle's novels were written.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu posted:

Bartitsu

Bartitsu is an eclectic martial art and self-defence method originally developed in England during the years 1898–1902. In 1903, it was immortalised (as "baritsu") by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes mystery stories.[1] Although dormant throughout most of the 20th century, Bartitsu has been experiencing a revival since 2002.

Mokichi's ancestor is a Japanese samurai versed in Japanese martial arts, who went to England and picked up Western combat arts. The founder of Bartitsu is an Englishman who went to Japan for three years and picked up Japanese jujitsu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu posted:

In 1898, Edward William Barton-Wright, a British engineer who had spent the previous three years living in the Empire of Japan, returned to England and announced the formation of a "New Art of Self Defence".[2] This art, he claimed, combined the best elements of a range of fighting styles into a unified whole, which he had named Bartitsu. Barton-Wright had previously also studied "boxing, wrestling, fencing, savate and the use of the stiletto under recognised masters", reportedly testing his skills by "engaging toughs (street fighters) until (he) was satisfied in their application." He defined Bartitsu as meaning "self defence in all its forms"; the word was a portmanteau of his own surname and of "Jujitsu".[3]

As detailed in a series of articles Barton-Wright produced for Pearson's Magazine between 1899 and 1901, Bartitsu was largely drawn from the Shinden Fudo Ryu jujutsu of Terajima Kuniichiro (not to be confused with the SFR taijutsu associated with the Bujinkan lineage) and from Kodokan judo. As it became established in London, the art expanded to incorporate combat techniques from other jujutsu styles as well as from British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland. Bartitsu also included a comprehensive physical culture training system.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Jfc, his using bartitsu is just ... :allears:

Also, from what I know bartitsu is heavily cane-focused, since all respectable men carried canes back then.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Jfc, his using bartitsu is just ... :allears:

Also, from what I know bartitsu is heavily cane-focused, since all respectable men carried canes back then.

I bet that's the counter-powerup he uses to beat Raian :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

I bet that's the counter-powerup he uses to beat Raian :allears:

Weapons aren't allowed in Kengan matches.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Using Sherlock Holmes fighting style is just loving great. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a pattern where the fighter who gets a flashback first will lose. That baritsu bit was technically a flashback, so Robinson is most likely out.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, he who shows his superpower first generally loses. Kinda wish they would mix it up a bit more than they have to make things a little more unpredictable, maybe this will be the fake out and Robinson takes it. He's a much more interesting fighter, but that never stopped buff justice cop from winning.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

The name of Mokichi's martial art style (Baritsu) is based on a fictional martial arts in Sherlock Holmes, but the description of Mokichi's fighting style and his ancestor's backstory is based on a real fighting style (Bartitsu) that Sherlock Holmes' Baritsu is also based on.

I love everything about this post and manga, Bartitsu is just incredible. :monocle:

A portrait of E.W. Barton-Wright, with a montage of Bartitsu self defence techniques

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 2, 2017

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah, he who shows his superpower first generally loses. Kinda wish they would mix it up a bit more than they have to make things a little more unpredictable, maybe this will be the fake out and Robinson takes it. He's a much more interesting fighter, but that never stopped buff justice cop from winning.

Bartitsu is hardly the limit of Robinson's secret powers. The assassin blood flow technique or whatever REMOVAL turns out to be is gonna be countered by the deep-seeded sis-con of Mokichi.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What happened to Doraemon please tell me this new jabroni artist isnt here to stay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rip latest underdog

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
all westerners are jobbers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but really, "deranged martial arts eugenics program that lasted for centuries combined with constant research and refinement of fighting techniques" vs. "one of his ancestors was like, really badass"? that sure is a battle between bloodlines. how suspenseful!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Presumably all the best Western fighters are fighting for Goldman Sachs in the US version of the kengan matches.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Don't worry. I'm sure Kure guy will say something about his sister and give Sherlock the power to fight for another chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Don't worry. I'm sure Kure guy will say something about his sister and give Sherlock the power to fight for another chapter.

Yeah...we haven't really seen Mokichi's "come back from a point when it seems like he's losing" reveal yet, so I think he still has a chance of winning (though I still think Raian is much more likely to win).