Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

Mike Pereira is a really nice guy. If you guys were able to see how he reacts to most of the awful/stupid tweets he receives I think you'd all laugh your asses off.

Well, how does he react?

Also, hiring him was a great move, and all the other networks fell over themselves to get their own rules expert, but none of them got anywhere close to what he was able to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He'll either shake his head and just be like "can you believe this poo poo?" As he reads the tweet. Or someone else will read it to him and he'll jokingly be like, "tell PennState187 to go gently caress off." Or everyone will just joke around about how stupid people are.

He's in all interactions I've even seen just a really nice normal dude. I've seen him thank the janitors cleaning the bathrooms and things like that. Not a diva at all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite thing about Strahan is that he was motivated to become the really good player that he became because in the first iteration of Madden he was in, he was the worst rated player in the game.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I remember Tiki hosting some really awful low-budget fantasy show with his brother on FOX Sunday mornings a few years back. Dude's hurting for money. He currently does AM Sports Radio for CBS and I can't imagine he's thrilled about it.

What's better is that he had a Hall-of-Fame career and will never sniff it because he was a colossal douchebag and his team found immediate success following his retirement.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

corn on the cop posted:

I remember Tiki hosting some really awful low-budget fantasy show with his brother on FOX Sunday mornings a few years back. Dude's hurting for money. He currently does AM Sports Radio for CBS and I can't imagine he's thrilled about it.

What's better is that he had a Hall-of-Fame career and will never sniff it because he was a colossal douchebag and his team found immediate success following his retirement.

He's now relegated to doing GIECO commercials

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

He's now relegated to doing GIECO commercials

I was actually surprised the first time I saw that commercial that his image had improved enough that someone could think it was a good idea to use him to sell something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

When even loving Les Moonves wants the NFL to speed their poo poo up, you know it's become a problem

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think now is a good time for a refresher on TV timeout rules across US sports that get national coverage:

• Baseball: At the end of every half inning or a pitcher change mid-inning. The latter ones tend to be a bit shorter.
  • Basketball (NBA): After 6 and 3 minutes left in odd quarters; 9, 6, and 3 minutes left in even (6 per half with the end of the odd quarter included)
  • Basketball (College Men's): After 16, 12, 8, and 4 minutes left in the half
  • Basketball (College Women's): After 5 minutes left in the quarter and at the end of each quarter.
  • Football (NFL): 10 TV breaks per half. 1 is at the end of the odd quarters, and 1 is at 2 minutes left in the even quarters. Timeouts are taken at network discretion, but are not allowed during a drive except for the two prior reasons or injured players. A TV timeout is not allowed after the opening kickoff of a half.
  • Hockey: 14, 10, and 6 minutes left in the period, with at least one minute of game time between timeouts. Timeouts are not allowed during a man advantage (they can be called during a 4v4, though), after a goal, or after an icing.
  • Tennis: After odd numbered games where the players change ends
  • Golf: Whenever they feel like it
  • Racing: whenever they feel like it. :newlol:
  • Soccer: none :smuggo:

OT specific rules:
  • Baseball: unchanged from regulation
  • Basketball: none, as the periods are now 5 minutes
  • Football (NFL): None
  • Hockey: None in the regular season, but a TV Timeout after the 10 minute mark in a playoff overtime period

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 20, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moonves is probably getting poo poo from affiliates about games running long and cutting into their local programming.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Moonves is probably getting poo poo from affiliates about games running long and cutting into their local programming.

That's probably the most likely explanation. Also the ratings drop isn't good either.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Plus they never preempt 60 Minutes so unlike Fox the late local news is heavily delayed

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The older I get the more I love soccer's wham bam thank you mam done in 2 hours with no ads except half time approach

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

Plus they never preempt 60 Minutes so unlike Fox the late local news is heavily delayed

And the local news is where those stations make a poo poo-ton of their money.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Schilling yelling terrible opinions lately. Found out he blocked me at some point.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

joshtothemaxx posted:

I was wondering why I hadn't seen Schilling yelling terrible opinions lately. Found out he blocked me at some point.

Did he discover that you are a minority

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

corn on the cop posted:

He violated locker room code to poo poo talk Eli, who went on to win 2 superbowls immediately, ruining his giants goodwill.

And he talked so much about his ambitions that it was an open target. Like he thought his coworkers were gonna step aside when he's coming for them.

Femur fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lmao

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The amount of times a Dril tweet is relevant is astonishing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So apparently Francesa is on his way out. Surely they couldn't possibly do worse than him, right

https://twitter.com/northjersey/status/834498564088819712

:stonk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

So apparently Francesa is on his way out. Surely they couldn't possibly do worse than him, right

You know that ever expanding ironicat gif? Imagine that, only with this:

:cripes:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it would be worth christie having a WFAN show just for the record-setting amount of joke callers

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

it would be worth christie having a WFAN show just for the record-setting amount of joke callers
And the bi-hourly traffic updates.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

corn on the cop posted:

Is there a :george: for sports?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

Legitimate contender for most powerful position in the free world to this. Goddamn.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nothing sums up Chris Christie better than "Cowboys fan from Jersey". Tells you everything you need to know

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anals of History posted:

Legitimate contender for most powerful position in the free world to this. Goddamn.

When Donald Trump makes you his personal McDonalds bagboy and forces you to eat what he wants you to eat at dinner (meatloaf), you know you've hit rock bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyB64gnC4Qs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This isn't really surprising, imo

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/834814123275907072

Canada would scoop them back up in a second

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Vertical Lime posted:

This isn't really surprising, imo

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/834814123275907072

Canada would scoop them back up in a second

https://twitter.com/thecomeback/status/834780652213899264

Seems weird considering the push they gave her recently including a Super Bowl role.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Uterine Lineup posted:

https://twitter.com/thecomeback/status/834780652213899264

Seems weird considering the push they gave her recently including a Super Bowl role.

I don't remember her doing anything beyond trying her damnedest to feign enthusiasm for Lady Gaga's social media impact. Didn't feel like they brought her in for incisive wit or sports commentary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anals of History posted:

I don't remember her doing anything beyond trying her damnedest to feign enthusiasm for Lady Gaga's social media impact. Didn't feel like they brought her in for incisive wit or sports commentary.
Girls on my sports box?!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
She probably already has a standing offer with Simmons. He loves her to an almost creepy degree.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Girls on my sports box?!!!

But actually, what did she do for the Super Bowl? I don't think Anals has a problem with Katie specifically.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nothing sums up Chris Christie better than "Cowboys fan from Jersey". Tells you everything you need to know

Fat Guy from Jersey with a Sports Talk Show. Just what the world needs another of.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

But actually, what did she do for the Super Bowl? I don't think Anals has a problem with Katie specifically.
I just mean in general. I'm sure network execs still think they're good for nothing beyond sideline reporting and maybe coanchoring an early morning sports center.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

davecrazy posted:

She probably already has a standing offer with Simmons. He loves her to an almost creepy degree.

well, she's a fairly attractive woman who adores Boston sports and has blandly consensus takes. she's fem-Simmons.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Simmons is a big aggressive about it, but I can't really fault anyone for loving Katie Nolan.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, I like her work and don't have a problem with her at all. I was angry at Fox for making her talk about fluff bullshit while, at the adult table, Bradshaw is out here playing with spit bubbles.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I find Katie a bit easier to listen to than Simmons but that is partly because her pop history connection didn't stop in . . . whenever the Wire went off the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Katie Nolan is legitimately funny, charismatic, quick-witted and carries herself like a star on TV, which puts her leagues above Simmons in that category.

Comparing Nolan to Simmons is pretty lazy -- she's way more compelling on camera, and at least manages to make her Boston homerism an endearing quirk, rather than a defining trait.