Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Warbird posted:

I was speaking with some VR startup guys tonight and they said you have to take a Valve offered class to get access to the software side of the lighthouse tracking stuff. Said class is also apparently booked up all to hell.

Anyone know if the Vive can track the controllers as well as a tracking puck? I heard tonight that it could only handle two objects.

The headset can only relay the tracking information of two objects back to the computer, but you can get a USB dongle to track more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

I was speaking with some VR startup guys tonight and they said you have to take a Valve offered class to get access to the software side of the lighthouse tracking stuff. Said class is also apparently booked up all to hell.

Anyone know if the Vive can track the controllers as well as a tracking puck? I heard tonight that it could only handle two objects.

They rescinded that class requirement a few hours ago

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

Valve recently announced that taking classes is no longer required, all that is required is abiding to Valve's permissive, royalty-free license. The terms are pretty reasonable, there are no fees of any kind and anyone can start manufacturing and selling Lighthouse products without talking with Valve at all. Products require interoperability/compatibility with SteamVR though and selling base stations is currently not permitted.

Warbird posted:

The HMD can only connect to 2 tracked objects at a time, but tracking pucks are likely to come with a USB dongle. The API itself can handle up to 16, though that limitation is completely arbitrary and could easily change in the future.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Aw, neat! Anyone got a link handy about that rescinding of the class requirement?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

Aw, neat! Anyone got a link handy about that rescinding of the class requirement?

http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-sell-base-stations-directly-lower-barrier-steamvr-tracking-development/

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOgs2Dspbm4

This little guy just showed up on my radar earlier today! I'm glad to see that Samsung is working on projects beyond their Gear VR, I'm curious to see what direction they go in with a product that isn't linked to Occulus.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I also like vaporware but at least it's vaporware backed by a big company, so whatever real version comes out won't be anywhere near as good as the concept but will still probably be good

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What makes VR good is good tracking. I doubt that piece of poo poo has anything other than rotational, which would make the AR features useless and the VR features extremely limited.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

It's about time that Valve pulled away from HTC and started offering their own stuff. I can totally see them releasing the new finger tracked controllers as their own thing instead of relying on HTC as a partner to release it.

At some point in the future you could totally see them going the route of offering BYO basestations, BYO HMD and BYO tracked controllers as a system of addons/upgrades.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Underwater VR?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603634/using-virtual-reality-underwater-is-weird-but-fun/

Seems pretty cool. I could imagine some really intense immersive experiences doing this.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tilt Brush is now on Home. Google Earth VR official Rift+Touch coming soon: https://uploadvr.com/google-tilt-brush-oculus-rift-home/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

SteamVR can track an unlimited number of objects. The only issue you have is when you start to fill a space up so much you have occlusion issues.

The Vive headset works with 2 controllers (as I understand it) to track additional controllers or those pucks you have to connect to the computer instead of the headset. As stated there is a current way to do it with a steam controller dongle that's been re flashed. Supposedly the HTC tracking pucks will come with a dedicated dongle just for that purpose.

EDIT: To be more specific, the Vive does not track anything, the lighthouses do not track anything. SteamVR allows you to have an unlimited number of tracked objects, because the objects track themselves. I've seen several Vive setups where they share the light houses and have 2 headsets with 2 controllers (for 6 total self tracking items) between just 2 lighthouses.

As it happens the way the Vive is setup the two controllers route their tracking information back to the headset and then down the wire along with the headset tracking information to the computer. This does make sense to increase reliability and reduce wireless traffic since it's assumed the Vive is specifically a setup of 1 headset and 2 controllers.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 22, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

Tilt Brush is now on Home. Google Earth VR official Rift+Touch coming soon: https://uploadvr.com/google-tilt-brush-oculus-rift-home/
Did they add layers yet? :/

I really like the look of tilt brush compared to other painting programs but it's really really hard to make things without being able to subdivide things into layers, especially to shrink/grow them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is pretty neat, 3D scan your face and use gaze tracking, and you can render a "good enough" see-through window on live streams of VR users:

https://thenextweb.com/virtual-reality/2017/02/22/googles-new-tech-turns-vr-headsets-invisible/#.tnw_1GedjRyO

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Zero VGS posted:

This is pretty neat, 3D scan your face and use gaze tracking, and you can render a "good enough" see-through window on live streams of VR users:

https://thenextweb.com/virtual-reality/2017/02/22/googles-new-tech-turns-vr-headsets-invisible/#.tnw_1GedjRyO

lol immediately got weirded out by the guy's unflinching brow while he grins like a madman

https://i.imgur.com/oDhS3pm.gifv

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
e: oops double post, gently caress it

GlyphGryph posted:

Underwater VR?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603634/using-virtual-reality-underwater-is-weird-but-fun/

Seems pretty cool. I could imagine some really intense immersive experiences doing this.

Holy gently caress I can't wait for this to be a thing I can rent. Or take into a lake and die :banjo:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I am having way too much fun with Soundboxing VR, I hope it's not "dying" or being forgotten. It by far has the best feel of all dancing/beat games, but it needs more players to do a ton of beatmaps. Also wish it had a search function that lets you search through all beatmaps, not just a youtube search and then look around and hope someone has made a map for it. Overall an update or sequel would be great, both for visibility and quality of life improvements.

If you haven't played it, please do! But get a VR cover or a solution to sweat, because you will get quite a workout depending on the song.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Soundboxing is great, but everyone else seems to prefer audioshield so unfortunately I doubt its doing well. :(

I am hoping that after the pucks are released they add footwork to it, that would be cool

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Just got a Vive and am having a lot of fun so far. But for some reason The Lab just doesn't work. I start it, I get to the Start button screen, and I can see my controllers, but there's no beam coming out of them. Pressing the triggers doesn't do anything. Tried verifying files, exiting and rebooting the headset, uninstalling and reinstalling... nothing. Hope I'm not missing something painfully obvious. All other games are working totally fine, too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

Just got a Vive and am having a lot of fun so far. But for some reason The Lab just doesn't work. I start it, I get to the Start button screen, and I can see my controllers, but there's no beam coming out of them. Pressing the triggers doesn't do anything. Tried verifying files, exiting and rebooting the headset, uninstalling and reinstalling... nothing. Hope I'm not missing something painfully obvious. All other games are working totally fine, too.

You gotta walk over and touch the button. Sorry if this sounds obvious, but you mention you're looking for a beam and that starting area only works with touching it.

Also this morning I got an email from Oculus:

quote:

On February 28, we’re inviting members of the VR community for an exclusive preview of new Rift and Gear VR games and experiences! Join us in San Francisco to meet with developers, talk with the Oculus team, and check out cutting-edge content before anyone else.

I think I might be down, I wonder what stuff they've got (whether it's unannounced stuff or you get to try some things they've announced but haven't released yet). I think I'm getting this invite because I went to an Eve Valkyrie event a few weeks before """"launch""""

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I really hope that someone starts doing stuff on the East Coast/South east US. It's a bummer that all the fun stuff is centered on Cali and Washington.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Lemming posted:

You gotta walk over and touch the button. Sorry if this sounds obvious, but you mention you're looking for a beam and that starting area only works with touching it.

drat, thanks. I was also sort of trying to do that but didn't know if it was right or not. Whenever I moved my controllers over to the buttons, they would suddenly disappear and fly off to somewhere above my eyes. Finally managed to get myself into a position where I could push the button without the controller flying away though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

If the controller's are flying away from you or just in general not tracking well, check for reflective surfaces in your area and make sure the lighthouses can see each other & you without anything in the way. Usually if my controllers are flying away it's usually because of either occlusion or a reflective surface- assuming I put my wrist straps on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anyone tried Redout in VR? I was trying to decide if I wanted Redout or Fast RMX for the Switch, but then I remembered Redout is on Steam. Then I remembered that Jeff Gershman said it does VR. I'm downloading the demo right now to try it out, but I don't know if the demo does VR or not.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is Art of Fight worth $25? I see that it used to be $18 and am still real stingy with my VR purchases when most of the free/beta stuff is a trillion times better than whatever's being hawked full price. Although I'm pretty interested in just checking it out for the locomotion alone.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Obduction hand controllers update on March 22nd: http://obduction.com/hotly-awaited-obduction-vive-and-touch-get-street-date/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cool. Hopefully by then I will have forgotten all the puzzles.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mellowjournalism posted:

Is Art of Fight worth $25? I see that it used to be $18 and am still real stingy with my VR purchases when most of the free/beta stuff is a trillion times better than whatever's being hawked full price. Although I'm pretty interested in just checking it out for the locomotion alone.

I'm not sold on many aspects of the locomotion and the game is pretty loving janky, but when it all works it can be a lot of fun. I have some fond memories of counter-strike though which may make me a little biased.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: new page

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cojawfee posted:

Has anyone tried Redout in VR? I was trying to decide if I wanted Redout or Fast RMX for the Switch, but then I remembered Redout is on Steam. Then I remembered that Jeff Gershman said it does VR. I'm downloading the demo right now to try it out, but I don't know if the demo does VR or not.

I haven't played it in a long while, but I have tried it. The UI is a little janky, and the gameplay itself is muuuch harder since you're limited to first person, but if you know the tracks it's a lot of fun.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

SwissCM posted:

I'm not sold on many aspects of the locomotion and the game is pretty loving janky, but when it all works it can be a lot of fun. I have some fond memories of counter-strike though which may make me a little biased.

poo poo counter strike is practically half the reason I have carpal tunnel which in turn is half the reason I can't wait for VR to take off :lol: so I may as well get this while I upgrade for Onward. I'm hoping this is the right seam to make the move-- We're a year out for another iteration on headsets, games are starting to get fleshed out.. which is also why I'm even more hesitant. New good stuff keeps popping up.

How often do they update Art of Fight? What are the (good) alternatives to it and Onward?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mellowjournalism posted:

lol immediately got weirded out by the guy's unflinching brow while he grins like a madman

https://i.imgur.com/oDhS3pm.gifv

lmao

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

New Gorn update is out, apparently.

It's a bit weird and unfinished though.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Oi VR goons.

I'm here to shill. Except not really.

I got three codes for Awaken from the devs, just by asking if I could do a giveaway of a late review key. It's probably my second favourite VR game. I'm not getting paid or anything, the criteria for entry is to comment on my video an answer to the following:

What is your favourite game to sit back and unwind with?
or
What was your most relaxing, puzzling or zen gaming experience?

The video is here (click).

It's worth a look.

Oh and I haven't posted on SA in ages so can I just :siren: :parrot: :siren: :parrot: oh god I have missed that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

GlyphGryph posted:

New Gorn update is out, apparently.

It's a bit weird and unfinished though.

It's basically an update to the old version to include some of the features from the current closed beta, such as being able to rip limbs off with your hands, a knockout visual on enemies, new graphics and some new weapons. There's some new locomotion that allows you to click your stick in and then move the controller behind you to move forwards.

The rapier is great fun providing the game gives you the right enemies to use it on (You won't survive well with it against four armoured guys). Nothing quite like shanking someone in the chest to immobilise them and then sweeping their head clean off with a mace to quickly end a fight. 1v1 against an armoured opponent when the game gives you only a rapier to use on them is pretty awesome too, lots of dodging and waiting for the right moment to strike.

The dev's improved the two handed weapons, the warhammer is a lot easier to use now and really sends enemies flying. He's also included a greatflail which is hilarious fun to use.

From what I've seen the closed beta has a lot more "game" to it, such as purchasing weapons for your next fight, different locomotion methods and so on. I really can't wait for this to be a full game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I must have found my way into the closed beta then since mine has the weapon purchasing stuff.

That explains why it looks so unfinished.

But I also dont have limb tearing or knockout visuals so.... i dunno!

I found my way onto a weird version i guess

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 24, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
On reddit people were freaking out about the Rift tracking skipping when doing slow 360 circles in Quill. Oculus are rolling out a patch 1.12 that seems to have fixed the major issues people have had.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5vyy4d/112_alpha_oculus_medium_tracking_performance/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79zQ37L-IM

So if you've had problems, this update looks to fix them!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

GlyphGryph posted:

I must have found my way into the closed beta then since mine has the weapon purchasing stuff.

That explains why it looks so unfinished.

But I also dont have limb tearing or knockout visuals so.... i dunno!

I found my way onto a weird version i guess

Can someone explain to me

a) how to delete weapons from your inventory
b) what the gently caress the stool is for, I hate it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Poetic Justice posted:

On reddit people were freaking out about the Rift tracking skipping when doing slow 360 circles in Quill. Oculus are rolling out a patch 1.12 that seems to have fixed the major issues people have had.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5vyy4d/112_alpha_oculus_medium_tracking_performance/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79zQ37L-IM

So if you've had problems, this update looks to fix them!

This is super groovy, I wonder if this'll help any with the right hand controller going squirrely after constant intense use. Anyone else experience that? It drifts or flies away when you've been moving it particularly rigorously, taking the battery out and putting it back in solves it pretty much instantly though.

I wonder if it's a driver thing or a mechanical issue. It only happens for me after 20 or 30 minutes of Audioshield, really, so it's not a huge issue, but given that Audioshield is one of my favourite games it can get irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

SwissCM posted:

I think Art of Fight is worth it, and I am personally sold on the locomotion because once you master it, not only can you easily zip around the level but also pretty much climb almost anything and find great sniping positions. I highly recommend it.