Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I disagree with that. The motive was "Sakura is a traitor. I've told her to kill someone. Aren't you afraid? Will no one rid the school of this troublesome traitor"? It wasn't only a motive for Sakura, it was a motive for others to try to kill Sakura.

I agree. Apparently I wasn't clear that the motive was for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh, Kuzuryu's on the cast list twice.
Minor detail or key discovery!?

Also just to get it straight in my head: Sato is either the victim of the vase, or Sonia's Japanese alias. (Everyone else is accounted for in the cast list.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

I agree. Apparently I wasn't clear that the motive was for everyone else.

But my point was that even though Sakura's motive was a little different, in DR1 Case 4, everyone had some motive. Here, practically no one has a motive. And actually, that only makes Monobear's choice to only give out one prize package self-defeating, because the chances are extremely high that the winner would be one of those people who wouldn't care.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Huh, Kuzuryu's on the cast list twice.
Minor detail or key discovery!?

The dead girl was probably his sister, since he's obviously F and they talk about her family having influence. Also, Mikan is obviously A and Hiyoko is B based on how they act. Koizumi was D due to her talent, and I doubt Mioda would have taken up archery, so she would be C. I do suspect E is still alive and is our mystery person. Otherwise, she would have been in a different class.

There was a spoiler here; it's gone now.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 23, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Specifically that spoiler is for near endgame. I'm debating asking you to remove it but I did say spoilers were allowed in tags. Could you at least mark it as "near endgame" instead of just "way later"? Just for clarity's sake is all since someone who read the original LP of this game that stopped at chapter 3's trial might not interpret way later as that far later in the game and accidentally read it thinking it only had to do with Chapter 2.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

OK, is that better? I didn't actually know how late that part happened.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah that's perfect, thanks.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Double Punctuation posted:

Oh, so were you spoiled for the part that was in the spoilers?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It stands to reason that if everyone had their memories erased before coming to this island than at least some memories must have persisted for this game motive thingy to have worked. I can imagine that Monokuma has intentionally hidden who was who just to make some of the students paranoid, we'll possibly need to fit the blanks to solve the case in some capacity. But one question I have that hasn't been fully addressed yet is why is there is a secret button combination in this game and why does everyone already know about it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had some second thoughts on this. Sorry to ask you to change it again but could you actually remove the spoiler entirely? This one feels like too much. I know you were spoiled on certain aspects of the game without context for when or why they happen so I'm not chastising you for posting it or anything. It's a fairly big spoiler later on and I feel a little uncomfortable leaving it there even without context. Thanks, and sorry.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

Oh, so were you spoiled for the part that was in the spoilers?

Yeah, and that's about all I knew. I don't think it would have had any bearing on the case, but I have a feeling we're going to be doing some arithmetic to solve this mystery. It's gone now, though, so I won't bring it up again.

Basically, the number of people in the sub-game is bothering me. There was one person who was definitely murdered, and another one looked like she bit it. If this really happened, then they can't be here now, and we know the school only accepts 16 students per class. Yeah, they could have been in the other class (there are only 2 classes of 16 students at Hope's Peak), but something just seems off about that explanation to me.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, and that's about all I knew. I don't think it would have had any bearing on the case, but I have a feeling we're going to be doing some arithmetic to solve this mystery. It's gone now, though, so I won't bring it up again.

Basically, the number of people in the sub-game is bothering me. There was one person who was definitely murdered, and another one looked like she bit it. If this really happened, then they can't be here now, and we know the school only accepts 16 students per class. Yeah, they could have been in the other class (there are only 2 classes of 16 students at Hope's Peak), but something just seems off about that explanation to me.

Remember that Monokuma claimed that only 15 students were supposed to be there, so one of these 16 is a "traitor".

This may or may not have anything to do with the dead people in the game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Why, hello there Hajime and Chiaki. We meet again.
: The timing's too perfect... You were waiting here, weren't you?
: ...Ah, so you caught me? Wouldn't it be best if we traveled together? If you've beaten the game, we must think similarly, right?
: No...maybe I'm being a little too conceited. A guy like me thinking similarly to you guys...
: ...It's okay, just make your point.

: There was an airport on the 1st island, right? I told them to meet up there.
: ...Them?
: Why, the characters who appeared in Twilight Syndrome Murder Case, of course... The girls must be busy with their investigations, too. It'd be a waste of time if we both questioned them, no?
: If you want to hear what they have to say, you should come with me. I'll go on ahead and wait for you guys. *leaves*

: ...
: ...What should we do?
: Hmm, I guess the only thing we can do is go.
: ...I guess you're right.

: Ah, Hajime! Over here!

Mikan, Ibuki, Hiyoko...are all here...

: The names on the staff roll for Twilight Syndrome Murder Case were... "Tsumiki, Koizumi, Saionji, Mioda, Sato, Kuzuryu"...
: I really wanted Fuyuhiko to come too, but he locked himself in his cottage and wouldn't come out for me.
: So unfortunately, he's absent. It's probably because I'm so incompetent...I apologize.

: Huh? It's okay to be absent? I thought you said we'd be executed if we didn't come?
: ...Executed?
: I mean...you said Monokuma had something important to tell us, right? W-We came because you told us that...

: Sorry! That was a lie!
: Eeeeeee!? A lieeeee!?
: Grrrrrr...you tricked us...!
: Wh-What the heck...!?
: F-Fine! Then I'm leaving!
: Can you wait until we've finished our business with you? Right, Hajime?

Th-This is like...I'm on the same team as Nagito... No, I can't focus on that right now. I have to get information from them!

: Th-That's not fair...! I can't believe you actually tricked us so we'd come to this place...!
: I have nothing to say to impudent, regular people like you!

"Regular", huh... She's right that I might be a regular guy but... I also have an Ultimate talent...or at least I should have one...

: Hey, do you have a minute? There's something I wanted to ask you... Have you played Twilight Syndrome Murder Case, Mikan?
: N-No...since we said we weren't going to play that game... Also...I'm not really good at video games... I'm pretty slow...and I panic instantly...

Her...timid tone... I'm pretty sure the Girl A character was like that too.

: Anyway, can you tell me about your relationship with Mahiru?
: R-Relationship...? With Mahiru...?

: I-I first met her... Um...when we first gathered at the classroom with everyone else... And after arriving at the island... I did have a few conversations with her but...
: O-Oh! Could it be... Did Mahiru hate me?
: Ngh...that's definitely it... She hated me...

She doesn't know anything... No, it's more like she doesn't remember anything.

: But...even though she hated me, for her to actually invite me...she must've been a really kind person...
: ...Hm? Invite?
: Ah, um...Mahiru invited me this morning...
: ...This morning?

: Sh-She looked very serious...and she was wondering if we could all meet up so she could discuss something... B-But...I already had plans to go to the beach... So I had to decline...'cause I needed to prepare for that... And when I did...she made this lonely face and said that she'll reschedule for another day...
: B-But...if only I went with her... This wouldn't have happened...
: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Mahiru invited Mikan...? Why...?

: Hey Ibuki... Can I ask you something?
: BRING IT ON!
: ...Have you played Twilight Syndrome Murder Case?
: Wellllll...that's a computer game, right? I'm basically awful at those things!
: Ibuki's a tough girl, so I don't touch anything powered by electricity except electric guitars!

I'm pretty sure that's a lie but... Now's not the time to really dwell on something like that... Her unique tone and hyper energy... There was a character like that in the game, too.

: Let me ask you one more thing. What's the relationship between you and Mahiru?

: Huh? You mean that in a perverted way?
: No, in a normal way...
: Well, even if you ask me that, Ibuki's encounter with Mahiru was...hm...hmmm...

: Ah! When I asked Mahiru this morning to go to the beach with us, she made this real disappointing face!
: ...A disappointing face?
: Yeah, but disappointment varies depending on the person. Ibuki associates it with department store rooftops.
: Let's stay focused on Mahiru...

: It turns out...Mahiru had some business too, and she wanted to invite me to that instead. She said something like, "I was thinking about meeting with everyone, but if you already have plans..."
: Um...do you know what she meant by "everyone"?
: Nope, I didn't ask.
: I see...

Mahiru invited Ibuki...? Why...?

: Since we spoke with all three girls, the plot proceeds.

: I see... Looks like we've obtained some pretty valuable testimonies. Based on that... It seems like Mahiru also beat that game.
: Why...why do you know that?
: If she hadn't, she wouldn't have chosen these people to talk to. Because she beat the game, she talked to the people who appeared in that game.
: ...Just like what we're doing right now.

: But...in her case, it was much more serious...probably. I mean, she was forced to learn that she was involved in that game.
: That's true...
: But I'm surprised. I never thought Mahiru would play that game...
: It's true. That was unexpected... Nagito, didn't you tempt her into playing that game?
: ...Huh? What?
: I...remember...

: Anyway...what happened to Mahiru? Did she leave saying she had some business to take care of?
: ...Huh? Why do you know that?

: Wait...you tempted her, right? Just like you did to me...
: Tempt...? That's a rude thing to say.

: That's disrespectful toward Mahiru!
: There's no way her feelings would change just because a useless guy like me tempted her. At that time, she was already considering giving that game a try. All I did was give her a little push...
: ...That's all it was!
: Wh-What the heck...!?

: But more importantly...isn't it better if we listen to what she has to say? She's being quiet as ever... I'm counting on you...Hiyoko.
: If Mahiru spoke to everyone who appeared in the game, she should've talked to you too, right?
: Well, Hiyoko?

: Kyahahahaha! She never talked to me at all!
: Man, what a surprise. I didn't expect you to ask me such an easy question.
: Sooooo...I'm just gonna go back to my cottage now! *leaves*
: Ah! Hey Hiyoko!

Ignoring my voice, Hiyoko ran away as though she were avoiding me.

: Looks like...it's okay to say she ran away. Yeah, she's clearly suspicious. That's pretty much decided.
: Decided...?
: Regardless, it looks like we're finished here, so why don't we part ways for now? There's...still something I need to investigate.
: I'll see you again later. *leaves*
: Ah! Hey!

What the heck is his problem...? Even his exit was pushy...!

: Chiaki, what should we do? Should we go back to the scene of the crime one more time and investigate?
: ...It's very important to investigate the scene of the crime, but let's go over to Mahiru's cottage first.
: ...Mahiru's cottage?

: If she beat that game, it's best if we investigate there...I think.
: She...might have *that.*
: Oh, the ending prize... If that's the case, I'll go with you. You're okay with that, right?
: ...Uhh...

That's your cue to say "yes".

: Mahiru's cottage is on the right side at the end. But first...

: It's a longshot, but I wonder if we can get anything out of Fuyuhiko.

Fuyuhiko should be inside...

*Knock-knock*

: ...He's not coming out, huh...
: I can't help thinking about Fuyuhiko too but...I think it's better if we investigate Mahiru's cottage for now.
: Yeah...you're right.

: Well we tried.

: The door...looks unlocked...

: Moving after you're told would be too third-rate, so I made sure to be one step ahead! However, removing what's inside is a huge no-no! There are others who want to investigate too! *leaves*

...I guess I should go inside.

Compared to my room, the cottage had a somewhat pleasant smell wafting throughout the room... That proves...Mahiru was here...

But...she's not...coming back...

: Then I should...

Music cuts out.

: ...try looking for a naughty book.
: ...Why!?

: Now now, I was only kidding.
: Kidding...are you that kind of person?

Jeez...well, at least I don't feel nervous anymore... Wait, could that be the reason she said that...?

: But...it looks like we don't need to search for it. Check out that thing on top of the bed.
: ...On top of the bed?

: First things first, the final Hidden Monokuma for Chapter 2 is behind this TV.

These photos...Mahiru must've taken them... She probably developed them at the supermarket. Even in this situation...there's a lot of photos of smiling people. Is that...because of her personality...?

: Okay, let's look at the bed.

There's an envelope...on top of the bed.

: Could it be...? This might be it. The ending prize Monokuma gave to the first person who beat that game...
: ...What's inside that envelope?
: Let's find out...

I turned over the envelope, and what came falling out was...a few photos.

: Ah, this photo...

This is...a photo of Mikan, Ibuki and Hiyoko in what appears to be some sort of entrance hall.

: It's...just like that game...
: There was a similar scenario during the 1st Day in Twilight's True Edition. Girl B was in a bad mood because Girl A was late, and Girl D tried to cheer her up by taking her picture...

Is this...the photo she took...?

: ...Look at this photo, too.

: A broken vase...?
: Is that...the same photo Girl D showed Girl E on the 3rd Day?
: As I recall...a broken vase was in the classroom next to the music room...

: But...this photo is more shocking.

As Chiaki showed the photo to me, I was stunned into silence.

: ...!
: This is an actual photo...of a dead body... Since there's a piano behind the body, it looks like it's in the music room. If that's the case... Could this be the photo of the first victim?
: You mean...it's the victim of the murder that occurred on the 1st Day?
: Yeah...the one they blamed on a pervert.

: And one more...this is the last photo.

: Ugh...!
: This is probably...the photo of Girl E after she got killed on the 4th Day.

: I mean, it nearly matches her body in the game...

: Yeah, there's no mistake. This is a photo of Girl E.

: With that...we've finished looking at all the photos.
: So, based on all these photos...
: Yeah, it seems pretty clear. This is the ending prize.

This is the ending prize for beating Twilight... And what's depicted in these photos...proves that Twilight Syndrome Murder Case is based on an actual murder.

D-Does that mean...that stuff about our memories being stolen...?

: ...Huh? What's this?
: ...Is there something else?
: There's...a note inside the envelope...

"Try playing Twilight Syndrome.

After you get a Game Over, press down 5 times for the real game.

Once you do, you should remember what you all did to my sister...

We'll talk then."

Th-this note...

: Huh... Maybe the first person to beat the game and receive the ending prize...wasn't Mahiru.
: Someone else sent this to Mahiru...and that person is the one who actually received the ending prize.
: Mahiru wasn't just lured there by Nagito, she also received this envelope...
: ...And that's why she played that game, right?

Then...the person who played this game first...

This envelope...looks very familiar...

And the word "sister" written in this note... Based on these clues, I can't think of anyone other than him...

: Yep, I'm glad we came here to investigate. Because we did that, we discovered a very important clue.
: ...Yeah, I agree.

But...there's still one thing left. We have to find out who actually killed Mahiru, but... There's not much time left. I need to hurry...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SONIA NOOOOOOOO waitaminute she's just fine, what's going on here!?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh, duh. "Kuzuryu" isn't credited twice, two Kuzuryus are credited once each.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Kuzuryu really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to play video games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Yeah. You would THINK that the Ultimate Gamer would be the first person tempted to play and beat the Shiny New Videogame. But if she had, she would have gotten the ONLY prize, which would basically be meaningless to her. So, in a truly amazing contrived coincidence, out of all 14 students, apparently, the first person to play and beat the game and get the prize is the ONLY one who it would mean anything to.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

He does strike me as the kind of person that would do it to spite everyone agreeing not to touch it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fabulousvillain posted:

He does strike me as the kind of person that would do it to spite everyone agreeing not to touch it.

And take the time to figure out what "down five" meant, instead of just deciding that the whole thing is stupid and giving up?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah. You would THINK that the Ultimate Gamer would be the first person tempted to play and beat the Shiny New Videogame.

Just because she is the ultimate gamer, doesn't mean that she is the only gamer.

Besides, she would likely still be sleeping while he played the game.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Also the guy is a lifetime gangster who I'm sure has been in some intense situations. He kinda strikes me as this games still living Togami like character, not always there with everyone, investigating poo poo for himself and determined to be ahead of everyone. So him finding out the secret of this game kinda strikes me as in character but I have a tough time believing he'd actually murder someone, as it just seems too obvious.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

TGG posted:

Also the guy is a lifetime gangster who I'm sure has been in some intense situations. He kinda strikes me as this games still living Togami like character, not always there with everyone, investigating poo poo for himself and determined to be ahead of everyone. So him finding out the secret of this game kinda strikes me as in character but I have a tough time believing he'd actually murder someone, as it just seems too obvious.

This exactly, also him being the person that plays it first was probably the plan anyway. Along with him "figuring out" the down five puzzle, who's to say Monokuma wasn't backseating?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah. You would THINK that the Ultimate Gamer would be the first person tempted to play and beat the Shiny New Videogame. But if she had, she would have gotten the ONLY prize, which would basically be meaningless to her. So, in a truly amazing contrived coincidence, out of all 14 students, apparently, the first person to play and beat the game and get the prize is the ONLY one who it would mean anything to.

Or, as is vastly more likely, Monokuma lies like a rug and gave the prize to exactly whom he intended to give it, regardless of the player order, and probably lured Kuzuryuu there as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Hajime and Chiaki, what a coincidence. If something happens twice, third time's the charm, so they say.
: What coincidence...? Are you a stalker or something?
: Don't say that...I was just thinking about filling you in on the results of my investigation.
: Results...did you find something?

: I'll let you know if you drop to your knees and lick my shoes.
: ...Huh?
: ...Juuuust kidding, I was joking.

It didn't sound...like a joke to me...

: Well, it's about the footprints... The killer left their footprints in front of the beach house, right?
: Did...did you find out whose footprints those are!?
: If you want to know, I highly recommend you come to the beach house with me.
: With you...?
: ...Of course, you'll come with me, right?

I don't trust him as far as I can throw him... But if I can get a clue...

: ...What are you going to do, Chiaki?
: ...I'm going to try to talk to Fuyuhiko and see if he can tell me anything.
: So I'll leave this to you.
: Yeah, that's definitely a good idea. If someone like me tried to talk to him, it'd be impossible, but it might be different with a girl. Just be careful that he doesn't get rough with you...
: I guess this is where we part. I'll see you later Hajime. *leaves*

: Huh? Did you actually want her to stay?
: "Actually"? What do you mean...
: Let's go. I'll go on ahead to the beach house and wait there. *leaves*

: Before we go back to the beach house, I want to make a quick stop at the Library.

: See, Nekomaru is in here right now and we haven't talked with him yet.

: Ngh! Oh, it's you Hajime... How is your investigation going?
: Well, so-so...

Not that it matters but...Nekomaru and libraries don't really mix...

: Another killing... What did Mahiru do to deserve this!? All I can do for Mahiru is find out who the killer is and teach them a lesson.
: ...That reminds me. Sonia was here just a while ago... She seemed excited about finding some new information and headed toward the beach house.
: She did?

I remember...she said she had an idea about the mask we found near Mahiru's body... It might be better if I confirm that with Sonia one more time...

: Well I guess we found out where Sonia ran off to earlier.

: Gundham is standing around in the Diner parking lot.

: I was right...
: Huh?
: I already assumed you would come here...

: There is nothing you can hide from me, the supreme overlord who wields the Four Dark Devas of Destruction. Thus, I know everything. For instance, I happen to know you fiends...
: ...were preoccupied with your infantile beach play...!
: It matters not, for what I love is silence and solitude... That's right... That's it...that's precisely it...

I see...so he wanted to be invited too...

: I feel bad for Gundham sometimes. Guy just wants to hang out but he's pretty weird so people don't invite him.

: Back at the beach house now.

: Let's try going inside.

: ...Nagito!?
: Whoa!? Why the hell are you here!?
: Why hello there, Kazuichi... Thanks for going easy on me earlier. Thanks to you, I was able to walk away with just mild bruising. You clearly think like an Ultimate.
: Ugh...this bastard...!
: You two have arrived at a good time...

: Big news! I have discovered something very terrible!

A terrible discovery...?

: U-Um...not only that... I believe...it's nothing like Sonia's but...there's something...I noticed, too...
: ...You too, Mikan?
: Yep, this is great...it looks like the investigation is reaching its boiling point.

: In the interest of saving time, the only things we need to do here are talk with Nagito, Sonia and Mikan. The others all just have incidental text.

: Hey, tell me what you know already. Didn't you find out whose footprints those were? Actually...how were you able to find that out?
: After listening to everyone's story at the airport, I went to a certain place... Well, it's probably better to say I snuck in...
: ...to everyone's cottages.
: Everyone's cottages!?

: I told Monokuma I needed access for the investigation, so he simply let me in.

That bastard...he did something shady again...!

: But why did I do something like that...? Well, I'll explain my reasoning to you.

Nagito squatted down near the entrance to the beach house and began to spread some papers he was holding.

: C'mon Hajime, take a look.

: After all...I went to the trouble of gathering all this.
: Th-Those footprints...! I see, so the reason you snuck inside everyone's cottages was...
: That's right, I wanted to get a sample of everybody's footprints. But unfortunately, Fuyuhiko would've leave his cottage so I couldn't complete it...
: Well, I guess it's no big deal. It seems obvious that the footprints belong to this person...
: W-Whose footprints are they...?

: ...Hiyoko Saionji.

Hiyoko's...?

: To be honest, the reason I summoned her to the airport was so I could lure her out of her cottage. She shut herself inside her cottage, remember? If she stayed in there, I couldn't sneak in...
: So I figured if I lured her out, she wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to her cottage.

You're treating her...like a small animal.

: But it was totally worth it... The footprint I collected there was smaller than anyone else's, and matched the footprints at the beach house... Yep, there's no mistake. These are Hiyoko's footprints.

: Also...it's not like I was snooping around or anything, but I found something really interesting at her cottage.
: ...Something interesting?

: I found a lot of these candies...inside her room.
: Th-That's...!
: They're gummy candies that come in four different flavors... Strawberry, melon, grape, and orange... It looks like she got it from the supermarket... Apparently she really likes this brand of gummies. There should have been other gummy brands, but she only brought home a bunch of these.

: People are like that sometimes. There are people who'll only eat the same brand, even if it's just potato chips.
: Wh-What's wrong with that?
: Well, it's not clear if this relates to the incident, but I thought I should tell you just in case...

"Just in case"... Coming from this guy, that means... It...probably greatly relates to the incident.

: Listen! I have big news! Huge, huuuuuge news!
: What's the big news?
: Remember that Sun Witch ♪ Esper Ito mask that was next to Mahiru's body!?
: Oh...the mask the killer used to hide their face...

: No, that is not correct! That mask was not just used to hide their face!
: Then...what was it for?
: Sparkling Justice!
: Sparkling Justice is a serial killer and self-professed ally of justice whose name makes mankind shudder... They wear a hero mask at all times. Supposedly, they are a serial killer who only murders other criminals...
: Do not look so disappointed, Hajime! You need to be surprised!

: This Sparkling Justice character... That's the serial killer you were talking about before, right? It's true that the mask we found is a hero mask but...
: It is a heroine mask, to be precise! Sun Witch ♪ Esper Ito is a pretty witch girl! See? A heroine!
: A-Anyway...so you're saying it's possible that this serial killer is the one who killed Mahiru?

: Which means...there's a serial killer hiding among us?
: I'm pretty sure I've seen a twist like this in some video game...
: This is stupid... Serial killer, my rear end... The killer just used it to cover their face.
: ...But even so, they sure chose something that stands out.
: That...might be true but...
: Although it's easy to write this off as foolish, it might be best if we exercise some caution. Sonia...can you tell me everything you know about this so-called Sparkling Justice?

: As the light of justice shines upon my mask...I expose the hearts of malevolent evil...

...The hell?

: Justice Complete! The center of justice that is pierced by justice! The lead star of justice that shines in the night sky!
: That would be me...Sparkling Justice!
: ...Wh-what the heck...was that?
: That...is Sparkling Justice's catchphrase.

: An unknown serial killer...has a catchphrase...?
: I read it in a magazine in the library. There has only ever been one person--a journalist--who has interviewed Sparkling Justice... The article was written in their native language, so I tried translating it.
: However...in the end, that journalist was punished by Sparkling Justice, too...
: ...No good can come from getting involved with a serial killer.
: The serial killer...might not want to hear that from you.

: Um...this is all I know about Sparkling Justice. Thanks to the masks, nobody knows their true age or gender, making them a very mysterious individual...
: Hey...isn't that kind of a stretch? To say that there's a serial killer hiding in our group...
: No, it does not mean they are in our group... It is possible the serial killer was lurking on this island all along before they decided to murder Mahiru!
: Th-That's probably not possible...
: But...that is the only thing I can think of... I mean...no matter how much I think about it, I simply cannot believe it!

Music fades out.

: That one of us is capable of committing such a horrible murder... No matter how much I think about it, I simply cannot believe it!
: S-Sonia...

I do...I do understand Sonia's feelings but... It's highly unlikely that there's a serial killer hiding on this island...

: Mikan...you had something to say too, right?
: W-Well...compared to the others, what I have to say isn't that important... S-So...please don't get your hopes up...and be disappointed...
: I get it...so just get on with it.

: Um...I tried my best to perform the autopsy, and I was able to find out...Mahiru was definitely killed by a blow to the head. She was probably...struck from behind by one blow... Based on the scar...the weapon is clearly the metal bat.
: But every dark cloud has a silver lining, as they say...um...it looks like Mahiru didn't suffer.
: What does that mean?
: Ah, um... There's no doubt...that she died instantly.
: ...Her death was instant?

That sounds...a little strange... I think I'd better remember that.

: And...there's another thing I found...
: Ah, I'm sorry I started talking on my own! Were you busy right now?
: ...Just tell me.
: Um...during the autopsy, I discovered this in Mahiru's pocket.

"I was going to tell you in person, but I couldn't find you so I put this in your mail box. About what we discussed earlier, is it okay if we change the place and time? I want you to come to the beach house on the second island at 2:30 p.m. It seems there's someone who wants to interefere with our meeting. Let's keep it a secret. Until then, let's try not to see each other for a while. It would be bad if they started suspecting us for no reason.

-Hiyoko Saionji."

: Th-This letter...!

: If this letter is real, it would mean Hiyoko met up with Mahiru, right...?
: Plus...Mahiru's estimated time of death was around 3:00 p.m., and they met 30 minutes prior.
: I-If we think about what that implies...then...
: Ohhhhh! I'm starting to get confused!

If it's true...what does it mean? What happened between Mahiru and Hiyoko?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: The time for unparalleled hedonism...has come to an end... Come! Now is the time to fight the decisive battle! The hostility of fresh blood! The insanity of a contest of wits! The class trial is finally raising its curtain! Soooo, meet up...in front of Monokuma Rock! Once you're there, please proceed to the underground by taking the elevator located at the secret entrance. Puhuhu, I'll see you soon!

: ...Looks like it's time. I guess the investigation is over. So it's finally starting. The class trial where our hopes and the killer's hope will finally clash...
: But it's all right! Either way, hope will win in the end!
: Now then, let's go prove it!

: Aarrggh! What's he so excited about!?
: There's no reason to respond to a guy like that. Anyway...we should start heading over. At the trial field where Monokuma is waiting... I have to make my case there...
: There is no escape... We have no choice but to press forward. Now then, let us go.

As we talked among ourselves, we left the beach house...and Mahiru's body.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

All of this Hiyoko stuff seems to be too obvious.
Unless it's a double-blind between her and Fuyuhiko!?

They're definitely the top two suspects though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

All of this Hiyoko stuff seems to be too obvious.
Unless it's a double-blind between her and Fuyuhiko!?

They're definitely the top two suspects though.

We seem to have a LOT of "too-obvious" suspects.

1) Peko is too obvious because she was wet.
2) Sonia is too obvious because she was NOT wet.
3) Kuzuryuu is too obvious because he's the only one who has a motive.
4) Hiyoko is too obvious because she was definitely at the crime scene.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
No.. Peko.. you were the stable one. Please don't secretly be a serial killer. :( Please let the foreshadowing be a red herring.

That said..I guess Mahiru and Hiyoko came in through the front door. Hiyoko probably hid in the closet while the deed was done, then left. If Sonia's footprints aren't among those at the beach side of the beach house, she must have gone through the street door to get her suit, which would help clear her of the murder since she must have done that before the murder took place.

You know..I wonder if Peko is like Toko from the last game and has personality changes, but she can feel them coming on and locks herself in the bathroom as a control method, but this time it failed. So..Mahiru and Hiyoko show up to do whatever, !Peko comes out of the bathroom after Hiyoko hides, gets the drop on Mahiru and..uh..leaves..out the window..somehow? That doesn't explain the part about Mahiru maybe not dying instantly, so maybe Hiyoko came out of hiding and finished the job by bashing Mahiru's head against the door. Friendly betrayal + serial killer in play = maximum despair. That sounds about right.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Nooooo! Lemme go! Help meeee! Waaaaaaaaaaah! He's gonna do something crazy to me! I'll be ruined!
: Hey, shut up and stay put! You stubborn little lolita!
: H-Hey! Stop harassing little girls!
: Th-This is...what's going on?

: Hiyoko was trying to run away, so Monokuma brought her here by force... But Hiyoko's still trying to run away, so Monokuma's trying to wrap her in a full nelson...
: Hey! If you don't stay put, I'm gonna make you a part of this island's food chain!
: Guh...*hic*...*sob*...

: Jeez, making me waste my sweet-rear end time... But there's another problem to deal with besides this one...
: Where the heck is Fuyuhiko!?
: That guy...he totally ditched! He totally ditched my appointment! He...pisses...me off... Ah...aaa...aaaaa...

: Aaaa...aa...aaaaaah...!

: Eeek! His anger changed his form!

Music cuts out.

: ...I'm right here.
: ...Ah-huh?

: Ah, Fuyuhiko, you came... I was worried about you.
: There's nowhere for me to run, anyway... So no matter the ending...I have to accept it, right? But still...
: I'm a yakuza! Accepting defeat is not an option!
: Fuyuhiko, what does that mean...?

: Well...it's all good. If the trial heats up, it's all good. Anyway, looks like everyone's here, so let us depart now! I'll go first and be one step ahead of you guys! *leaves*

: C-Crap... I'm not mentally prepared yet...
: ...Do you even hafta prepare?
: If you don't have enough power, harness your latent energy! C'mon, bring out that energyyyyyyyy!
: So it begins...the beginning of the end...
: Now then, let's keep out spirits high! So we can one day find that shining hope!

That's right...I can only... Moving forward is the only option!

"ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRR...!"

: Eeek! No matter how many times I see it, it's such bad taste! The worst, the lowest, most brutal taste!

Somehow I moved my muscles, stiff from fear and nerves, and awkwardly walked onto the escalator. For some reason, my breathing was short...and I was eventually struck by a feeling similar to dizziness.

The moment all of us were inside Monokuma Rock...

A rumbling sound filled the room...and the surrounding space began to fall.

As it shook with a clatter, the elevator we were inside continued to drop. Throughout that drop, I was fluctuating between feeling hope and despair. As if my heart was a rotten fruit, swelling in the sun before it finally goes "squish". I...suddenly stopped breathing.

My consciousness began to fade from the pressure. I tried to endure that pressure by firmly standing on my legs. And after a while, the elevator's vibrations gradually weakened...

And then it stopped altogether.

: Aim! Defeat the boring routine!

: ...Sooooo, I've decided to start redecorating. How's it look? Mr. Monokuma's redecoration is awesome, isn't it!
: It's not like I'd allow you to think otherwise anyway!

: To go to the trouble of doing something this elaborate... Really...what is your true intention?
: Nothing really... Essentially, this killing game is just to kill time anyway.
: Kill time...!?

: To break away from my purpose! That alone in my purpose!
: A purpose is only gonna be a weakness! Those who have purpose are always the weakest ones in the bunch! That's why you guys should forget about such cheap-rear end purposes like "trying to survive..."
: And enjoy the class trial from the bottom of your heeeeeeaaaaarts!

Music fades out.

It's starting...the class trial is starting...

Mahiru Koizumi, the Ultimate Photographer...

She had an unyielding force of personality, but she was actually very good at taking care of people... Most importantly...she was always straightforward. The person that killed her...

...is among us? I don't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it but...

Regardless, we need to find the answer. It doesn't matter if you believe it or not.

Because...it's the only way. Aside from finding out who the killer is, there is no other way...for us to survive...

And so...

This life-threatening trial billowing with hope and despair...

...has begun.

: Welcome to 2nd Class Trial!
: The ticker along the bottom of the screen reads the following:

"What lies within Monokuma's video game...? Is it the truth or lies? What is the motive that ties that game and reality together? Where did the killer who escaped from the beach house go? There's no looking away from the hopeless memories reflected in the twilight."

: I have 7 Hope Crystals to spend on Skills.

: I decided to buy only one skill: Cool and Composed. Even though I could get a couple other cheap skills, I want to save my crystals for one of the more expensive skills later.

: I had Cool and Composed in the last game. It makes the cursor drift less than usual. I think the skill that eliminates the drift entirely is hidden behind someone's Free Time Events but I don't know who has it so I'm not going to worry very much. You can also see here that even with five skills equipped we have a ton of SP left over. As I mentioned, SP really isn't a concern in this game so you might as well equip everything you've got.
: Lastly, here's all of our Truth Bullets for this case.

: ...with a blunt instrument.
: There are no other conspicuous external injuries, and no trace of foreign substances such as drugs.
: The bloodstain on the floor had streaks leading to the roadside door, as if Mahiru had crawled through it.

: ...for the real game. Once you do, you should remember what you all did to my sister... We'll talk then."

: ...house on the second island at 2:30 p.m. It seems there's someone who wants to interfere with our meeting. Let's keep it a secret. Until then, let's try not to see each other for a while. It would be bad if they started suspecting us for no reason.
: -Hiyoko Saionji"

: And with that, join me next time for Trial 2.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This update was supposed to be part of the previous one but it just got way too long. So have it today instead of waiting.

Speaking of waiting though, the Nintendo Switch and Zelda come out today and while I've been waiting for mine to arrive in the mail I've been editing the Trial footage. However, I don't have any of the Trial updates written yet. I hope to take some breaks from playing Zelda to work on them over my Spring Break next week but I'd guess it'll probably be a few days before the Trial gets underway.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and to those of you who bought Zelda I hope you have fun!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

FPzero posted:

Hope you all have a good weekend, and to those of you who bought Zelda I hope you have fun!

I got no drat system to play it! :cry: But I will try to have fun anyway... somehow.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I wouldn't blame anyone for chickening out here.

Hulkuma is scary. :ohdear:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

This update was supposed to be part of the previous one but it just got way too long. So have it today instead of waiting.

Speaking of waiting though, the Nintendo Switch and Zelda come out today and while I've been waiting for mine to arrive in the mail I've been editing the Trial footage. However, I don't have any of the Trial updates written yet. I hope to take some breaks from playing Zelda to work on them over my Spring Break next week but I'd guess it'll probably be a few days before the Trial gets underway.

Take all the time you need. LoZ games trump LPs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial. During the class trial, you will present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for "whodunnit." If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and that person will earn the right to leave this island!
: O-O-Oh... No matter how many times I hear it, it's such a cruel rule!

: Now then, let's first discuss the motive! That masterpiece of gaming: Twilight Syndrome Murder Case!
: Whaaaat? Who cares about that game!?
: The outcome of this trial should be determined by whether or not we find Mahiru's killer...

: Nevertheless, we shouldn't ignore it. After all, that game is the motive this time.
: Yeah...you're right... Then let's try discussing that first.
: I'm sure everyone who's beaten the game already knows that it'd based on an actual murder case.
: Some of us have not beaten that game... Give us a detailed explanation.

: It means..."Twilight Syndrome Murder Case" is a nonfiction game.
: Additionally, some of us are characters in that game, too.
: S-Some of us are characters in a video game!?
: So...I think it's better if we clarify who the characters in the game are first.

The characters in the game were... Girl A, Girl B, Girl C, Girl D, Girl E, Guy F, and the high school girl who got killed at the beginning.

By using the staff roll after clearing the game as a reference, I should be able to figure out who's who...

: I just noticed that Hiyoko's name is wrong here. It should be "Saionji" to match everyone else. Good job localization.

The first character the player was able to control was Girl A. The true identity of Girl A... It's probably...

> Mikan

: Girl A is probably...Mikan Tsumiki.
: Uuaah... M-M-Me!?
: That timid tone... That definitely sounds like Girl A... Based on the list of names in the staff roll, I can't think of anyone else who would be Girl A.

: Wh-Why am I in a video game? Th-That's an infringement of my right to privacy!
: Ha! A nasty, trashy, pigshit like you doesn't have any privacy right!
: Ah... "A nasty, trashy, pigshit"... I feel like I heard that in the game, too.

She's right... The one who said that was...

> Girl B

: Girl B was short and foulmouthed... She's probably Hiyoko.
: Short and foulmouthed...? That's like the complete opposite of me!
: ...Anyway, let's move on. Next is Girl C.

Girl C, huh... Her personality was hyper, energetic, and unique...

> Ibuki

: Girl C...is Ibuki.
: Girl C? Then I'll "C" you next Tuesday!
: ...Let's move on to Girl D.

Girl D, huh... There's only one person who always had a camera with them.

> Mahiru

: Girl D is Mahiru...the victim in this case.
: Yeah, that's correct. Let's skip Girl E...and talk about Guy F.

*He's* Guy F...

> Fuyuhiko

: Aren't you Guy F...Fuyuhiko?
: Hmph, I was in a game? That's fuckin' stupid...
: Ah, that reminds me... Wasn't there another person whose last name was also Kuzuryu?
: ...Another person?
: It was one of the names on the staff roll...

: The names were Tsumiki, Koizumi, Saionji, Mioda, Sato, Kuzuryu, and then another Kuzuryu.
: Hold on...! Why do you keep saying there were two Kuzuryus...!?
: It's not like I'm wrong. That's how it's written on the staff roll.
: Since you beat the game...you probably know what this actually means, right?

The reason Fuyuhiko's last name, "Kuzuryu", appears twice... It's true I have a hunch but... To call me out like that... Nagito, you're definitely someone I shouldn't mess with... The reason Fuyuhiko's last name, "Kuzuryu", appears twice... It's probably because...

> He had a little sister

: In the game, Guy F..."Kuzuryu"...mentions that he has a little sister.
: Geh!
: ...Hm? Whaddaya mean "little sister"?
: This is what Guy F said in the game...

: That bitch...what the hell did she do to my little sister!

: It's pretty clear... There's no doubt that Guy F had a little sister. Plus, the sister actually appeared in the game. That's why the name "Kuzuryu" appeared twice.
: By the way, what role did Guy F's little sister, the other Kuzuryu, play...? You probably noticed, right?

I...don't really want to say it myself but...I need to move the conversation forward... The only character in the game I could see being Fuyuhiko's little sister is...

> High school girl who died at the beginning

: The dead high school girl who was the first victim in the game...is the only person I can think of.

: That bitch...Girl E, was it...?

: That bitch...what the hell did she do to my little sister!

: Based on Guy F's tone in the game, it's clear that Girl E is not his little sister...
: So if the only person left is the dead high school girl...then she must be Fuyuhiko's sister.
: Tch... Why do you sound so fuckin' happy...? That's winning personality you've got there...!
: Winning personality...? Are you praising me!?
: I was being sarcastic, dumbass!

: Hey... You said the game is a work of nonfiction. That means Fuyuhiko's little sister is...
: Yeah, I have a little sister...
: Somethin' wrong with that!? It's just a fuckin' game, don't go mixing up some video game with reality!
: It's not just a game... It's definitely based on true events... That's why it's the motive.
: D-Don't go making poo poo up, bastard!

: If she was the type to die easily, I'd have fuckin' killed her myself a long time ago... I-I mean, when I first entered Hope's Peak Academy, she was mouthin' off to me as usual and...s-sent me off...
: I-I happened just the other day!
: Um, about that... You're probably thinking like that because you've lost your memories...
: Shut the gently caress up! You be quiet!

: I see... So you're never gonna accept that that game is based on true events, huh?
: Okay, I understand your attitude toward this class trial now!
: Nagito... You seem to be doubting Fuyuhiko a lot. Do you suspect he's the killer?
: A mystery that easy would make me feel sad. It wouldn't be good enough to serve as everyone's stepping stone...
: That's why I'd be much happier if Fuyuhiko wasn't the killer!
: Oooookay, you're starting to act weird again...

: Anyway... Now we've established who all the characters in the game are.
: Girl A is Mikan, Girl B is Hiyoko, Girl C is Ibuki, Girl D is Mahiru, Guy F is Fuyuhiko... And...the first victim in the game--that dead high school girl--is Fuyuhiko's little sister.
: That's just a story in a fuckin' game...!
: If so, then Girl E is Miss Sato...
: Could it be... the same Miss Sato who liked white rice!?
: I don't know which Sato you're talking about but... I don't think she's relevant to this case.

: Maybe it's related to Gundham's last name since they're both really plain names!

What the heck...is that wild connection...?

: Tanaka may be an ordinary family name, but it's far better than Sato or Suzuki!

And...he also has a strange rivalry going on...

: Hey, no one cares about that! Hurry up and talk about the mystery of the game!
: ...Huh? What do you mean "Mystery of the game"?

: My my, you don't know? I heard that Girl E got killed!
: Whaaaaaat! No waaaaaay! Is that true?
: Getting killed is sooooooo violent, don'tcha know.
: My, such awful times we live in! Why did this happen!?

Music cuts out.

: You guys are *definitely* friends!

: So the "mystery of the game" is the murder of Girl E, correct?
: Then let's hurry up and solve it! Let's first figure out why Girl E was killed!

The reason Girl E was killed... I should be able to assume why based on the content of the game.

> Because Girl E was the killer

: The reason Girl E was killed is because she killed the first victim in the game.
: Which means Girl E was killed as revenge for the dead high school girl.
: What do you think, Fuyuhiko? Apparently Girl E was killed to avenge your little sister.

: You're loving persistent... I don't care what that game said at all...but...
: ...But?
: I-Is...that true...? Girl E, she...she killed the first victim?
: In order to make that clear, we need to know more about the case involving the first victim's murder...
: It's the murder that occurred in the music room. I knew it would come up so I prepared in advance.

: Look, I made a map of the music room's surroundings, which was the stage of the first case.
: ...I'm surprised you went to all this trouble.
: ...Mapping is second nature to retro game fans. Classic dungeon-crawler RPGs have a first-person point-of-view, so mapping as you play is a basic--
: We get it! Lets talk about that later so we can focus on the case!

: Then...I'll start explaining. Girl A, Girl B, Girl C, and Girl D were at the entrance hall when they heard the sound of glass breaking. Immediately, they climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor and headed to where they heard that sound... Girl E was in front of the music room on the 2nd floor, and she confirmed that the sound came from in there. But the door to the music room was locked. So Girl D went to get the key from the office, and when the five of them were finally able to go inside...

: They...found the victim's body, dead from a blow to the head.

: Because the music room's window was broken, the girls thought the killer escaped through there. The sound of breaking glass that they heard at the entrance hall seemed to confirm that. Plus, Girl E's school swimsuit was stolen, so they concluded that the escaped killer was some pervert. ...How does that sound?

: Yep, an understandable explanation! Just as expected from the Ultimate Gamer who excels at clearing games!
: But it wasn't a pervert, right? Wasn't the real killer Girl E?
: Obviously...Girl E was waiting outside the music room for the other girls after she killed the first victim.

: Did she lock the music room from the outside? Then she would've totally needed the key from the office!
: Which means...Girl E was hiding that key. We can assume she used it to lock the music room after she left it.
: But...Girl D was the one who went to the office to get the key to the music room, right?
: By the way, since it was never mentioned in the game, we can exclude the possibility of there being a spare key.

: You can lock the music room from the inside, right? So from there, Girl E broke the window and escaped...
: ...and sprinted to the front of the music room as fast as she could before the others arrived!
: She would've passed by the entrance hall where the other girls were waiting if she tried to do that.
: Then...forget this!
: It's not cute to see an old guy sulk...
: Hey! Is Girl E really the killer? We haven't reached an answer yet.

Based on the details of the game, it's no mistake that Girl E, who was waiting in the hallway, is the killer. Then...what did Girl E do after killing the girl inside the music room?

I guess I need to clear that up first.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 9, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Was there supposed to be a video like for the other class trials?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yes there was I'm an idiot and forgot to add the links!

e: I added it to the post. That's what i get for mass producing updates yesterday instead of playing Zelda. :doh:

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 9, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: Girl C? Then I'll "C" you next Tuesday!

I sure wasn't expecting that. :haw:

Obviously, the key to the next argument is something like "the glass breaking was from the vase, the girl was killed much earlier and so the key was replaced long before the sound of the glass breaking was heard".

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I only ever read to the end of the first trial in the original (aborted) LP of this, I am extremely happy to see someone else having a go at it after all this time.

Obviously Mahiru didn't crawl anywhere if she died instantly, though I'm not sure how that will tie in to things yet.

Sonia and Peko both seem like the obvious suspects. Fuyuhiko himself is too obvious. I'm leaning more towards Peko at this point, since it seems like the mask is supposed to point at Sonia, but Peko overheard that serial killer conversation. And while the wetsuit is hard to explain, wouldn't putting it on count as changing? Somehow the rule about changing is going to come in, it's just such a weird and pointless thing otherwise. It still leaves open the question of motive, though.

Anyway, Hiyoko likely knows a lot that would be useful and solve this instantly, but will probably be too much of a stubborn brat to volunteer any of it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Zoe posted:

And while the wetsuit is hard to explain, wouldn't putting it on count as changing?

The argument for Sonia being the killer isn't that she changed into the wetsuit to hide the blood, it's that she was wearing it all along and washed the blood off with it still on.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I just noticed Chiaki's Gradius hair clip :3.

Also don't wet suits get wet? I thought the arguement would be more like Sonia washing the blood off, then putting on the suit to hide suspicious of why she's wet if no one has actually gone swimming yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pushing to new page.

• Locked thread