Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Rabbi T. White posted:

That would make a lot of sense in a "getting paid without tax" kinda way. You get gifted a ship to sell on the grey-market for working, then no income tax needs to be paid.

I'd love to see them explaining that one to an auditor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

That would make a lot of sense in a "getting paid without tax" kinda way. You get gifted a ship to sell on the grey-market for working, then no income tax needs to be paid.

Thats the illegal part. But this poo poo is beyond stupid.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Wow, there hourly tracker shows a ~$18000 hour then a few ~$1500 hours then another ~$20000 hour - wtf is going on?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

so is that lady model in the game now?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

You can't avoid income tax laws just by paying your employees with something that isn't literally money. If that was possible everyone would do it.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

phosdex posted:

so is that lady model in the game now?

Ill give you one guess that isn't 'yes'

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
ATV

LA is tinkering with low level poo poo like lighting and ship systems and they're making some space suits and reworking space ships plus making a secret new ship.

Eighteen minutes of the thirty one and a half minute show is spent talking about Spectrum. Did not watch.

So weird how these weekly shows never talk about the "Living, Breathing Universe" they're creating.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME, PUNK?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nawledgelambo posted:

Ill give you one guess that isn't 'yes'

3.0?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Maybe it would if i acknowledged this movies existance, which i dont.

Darth Darth Binks will find you.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

Who can wait for the crazy advanced tech of leaning against things? Get your money in now!

Seriously, why is she tweeting this poo poo?

When the only thing your company can do is art, guess what takes center stage?

That's right. Product renders, animation stuff, pictures of rooms, and anything they can adequately Archer.

Showing gameplay or progress on anything game related would show people how bad everything is really going.

Hell, one of these days somebody is going to figure out that the 5 years of work they put into their small, separate <12 player arena shooter modules aren't even the groundwork for an MMO.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how many years before people get fed up with them. im going with 2019

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

the correct answer is dream.oh

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

lol if any of this is loving true

I would have to say this isn't true. Only because it'd be illegal I think, and easily traceable back to the originating location. It would not be very "clean" and put a lot of people at risk.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The worst thing I've ever done ITT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME, PUNK?

Yes! :ohdear:

No! :sweatdrop:

Yes??? :stonk:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I like reading bold claims from a year and a half ago for something that takes less than a week to do in UE4.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/08/say-goodbye-to-loading-screens-chris-roberts-suggests/

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TheAgent posted:

I am also mad today but for different reasons

I guess it's because I've seen projects like this so many times, headed by people making outrageous sums of money, producing nothing, forcing misery and terror on their employees, making people miss holidays and vacations and family time and lives, the actual lives they should be living

all in pursuit of some unobtainable goal that they think possible only if people believed more, gave more and worked harder, while the top levels take holidays and smirk at how much they have accomplished

star citizen, for me, isn't about some dumb space game taking money from people. it's about companies and businesses who do this poo poo all the time, who actively make employees suffer to squeak out mediocrity at a faster rate, take all the profits from the word go and leave a wasteland of failure and suffering behind

it still happens. this isn't unique to the 90s corporate culture. I work for people who absolutely do not give a poo poo about anything except the dollar on some spreadsheet. these are organizations that should be helping people, that have vast, immeasurable resources that could save hundreds of thousands of lives or improve countless others. instead they gently caress over whoever they can, sometimes for little or no gain whatsoever, just because they can. because they are that powerful, that immense, that nothing can touch them

its all very liberal-bleeding-heart-tree-hugging-faggotry, because somehow caring about people makes you weak for some reason

and sure I get plenty of laughs here but I've been through crunches where I didn't leave the office for 50+ hours. where I had to take cabs home because the lack of sleep made me hallucinate people were walking in front of the road. where when you finally came back, the guy up top who had been on vacation for 3 weeks in fiji asked why you weren't at your desk working. where the people making the biggest amount of money did absolutely nothing but come up with ideas for other people to implement in a sane and working fashion

to sum up, gently caress chris roberts and those at the top making millions while death marching everyone into the deepest pit of despair imaginable

gently caress you, Chris. gently caress you.

New thread title?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

eonwe posted:

Please put your guess in the Deathpool thread in this amazing subforum. :20bux: could be yours if you guess correctly!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

eonwe posted:

I think this baby will keep trucking into 2018 easily.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think this baby will keep trucking into 2018 easily.

agreed, these idiots are talking about how awesome the Hurricane looks when its essentially two ships smashed together like diarrhetic terds in the lawn. These people will continue to feed the beast if crobs came out and told them he has no intentions of making a video game and they are solely funding his over-the-top living lifestyle.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

If they can keep this going through 2018 I would be so excited.

Citcon2018 goonmeet. Don't worry if you look like poo poo, everyone else does.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Space Crabs posted:

quote:

If you are asking then yes. We do use internal accounts to prop up funding numbers. These are not backer only funds. We are encouraged to buy ship packages on a bi-weekly basis. Any monies that come to the coffers via internal employee accounts are counted into that number. This includes managers who end up pledging with caveats. These can be sold personally to third parties without supervision. Large packages are sold at discounted amounts to [employees, contracted employees, certain backers and streamers] for heavy discounts. The full amount is represented in the Funding Tracker.

This would make a lot of sense.

There was talk awhile back of how streamers always had $600+ chariots to just give away and how the grey market always has stock of any of the ultra limited one time only ships that cost the most.

Some of the grey market stores being CIG workers would explain a ton of things.

It's impossible to prove too since you could never get an accurate survey of the quantities of the limited ships, or really even find out if Manager #3 was selling $5,000 JPEGs while they weren't available for retail sale, and then more of them got released at a later date.

Not sure I believe what TheAgent was told, but it makes sense that they're selling ships and packages at discounts to certain parties. Too bad we can't prove it. And the only way to prove it is if i) someone spills the beans ii) it comes out during a lawsuit discovery process

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol if any of this is loving true

quote:
If you are asking then yes. We do use internal accounts to prop up funding numbers. These are not backer only funds. We are encouraged to buy ship packages on a bi-weekly basis. Any monies that come to the coffers via internal employee accounts are counted into that number. This includes managers who end up pledging with caveats. These can be sold personally to third parties without supervision. Large packages are sold at discounted amounts to [employees, contracted employees, certain backers and streamers] for heavy discounts. The full amount is represented in the Funding Tracker.

Lol this is literally Tulipmania/South Seas Company levels of malfeasance

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I always assumed that steamers were getting paid in ships that they could sell under the table so that they could keep claiming that they are not sponsored by CIG. Crobberts can create a ship out of thin air by moving some numbers around in a database and presto, a streamer has a 300 dollar ship for doing a few hours of talking about how great star citizen is. They probably just flip it on the grey market as fast as they can because anybody playing star citizen for that amount of time has probably figured out that the game is an irredeemable pile of poo poo that won't ever be fun. It's essentially work, not fun.

But now we have the wrinkle of employees getting in on the action. Even if you sell at a 25% loss, a big enough discount could still generate decent amount of money at high volumes. If you get a 50% discount if you buy, say, a few completionist packages like someone did earlier this week, you could sell them at a net profit of a few grand. And then you could keep repeating the cycle bi-weekly until the bottom drops out and you're left with 30k worth of ships with no game and no suckers to unload them on.

Or even better, say you had a bunch of Swedish Mafia cash you needed laundered. Buy a bunch of ships at a discount with accounts from employees in Brno, flip them on the grey market for nice clean profit. And CIG looks like it's operating in the black! Everybody wins! (Not the IRS though)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Chin posted:

So weird how these weekly shows never talk about the "Living, Breathing Universe" they're creating.

Clearly you've never seen Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is literally a guy talking with no accompanying pictures or anything

Clearly what this game needs is more lore

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

If they can keep this going through 2018 I would be so excited.

Citcon2018 goonmeet. Don't worry if you look like poo poo, everyone else does.

Honestly one of these times I feel the need to go to one of their stupid loving cons just to prove to myself that this is all actually happening and isn't just the most insane ARG anyone has ever seen.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Not sure I believe what TheAgent was told, but it makes sense that they're selling ships and packages at discounts to certain parties. Too bad we can't prove it. And the only way to prove it is if i) someone spills the beans ii) it comes out during a lawsuit discovery process

Hmm where could we find a lawsuit?

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

Oh, right

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Never forget that we were 100% denied hot guaranteed legal action

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

The worst thing I've ever done ITT

pffft FORBES! What do they know?!?!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Balls so blue that pantone certified the color.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Oh, right

Never stop.

Never. loving. Stop.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

This would make a lot of sense.

There was talk awhile back of how streamers always had $600+ chariots to just give away and how the grey market always has stock of any of the ultra limited one time only ships that cost the most.

Some of the grey market stores being CIG workers would explain a ton of things.

It's impossible to prove too since you could never get an accurate survey of the quantities of the limited ships, or really even find out if Manager #3 was selling $5,000 JPEGs while they weren't available for retail sale, and then more of them got released at a later date.

quote:

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Oh, right

I'll :toxx: my account if Derek is successfully able to file suit (not small claims, but for the KickStarter claims he originally made) against CIG before this calendar year is over. Put up or shut up Derek.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 24, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A lawsuit would shake things up around here

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly one of these times I feel the need to go to one of their stupid loving cons just to prove to myself that this is all actually happening and isn't just the most insane ARG anyone has ever seen.

Protip: Remember to buy some vaporub and apply a generous dose to your nostrils.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll :toxx: my account if Derek is successfully able to file suit (not small claims, but for the KickStarter claims he originally made) against CIG before this calendar year is over. Put up or shut up Derek.

I think it's more on CIG to put out a drat game than Derek to file a lawsuit. That's just me though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Check out the latest episode of Freakonomics for an interesting insight into the digital effects industry and how things are hosed. Lots of parallels to how SC is run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please clarify what do you mean by successfully. Thank you.