Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

nooooo it's not out yet :(

I know, so it's a double whammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mikl posted:

Maybe it's an issue with Jump in general this time? The Black Clover chapter is also very rough.
"Rough" is literal. A couple panels were literal rough sketches.

Crazyeyes posted:

People who start talking about the new chapter without linking it and before it is linked should be summarily executed.
I think people should know where to find the chapters by now? Yeah, linking is a nice consideration, but you should be able to open a new tab and type "mang" and MangaStream should pop up, right? I feel like that's not super hard and worth the hyperbole.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also just go and subscribe to the english online Shonen Jump in addition to instead of pirating it. It's cheap, the image quality is way better because it uses actual sources instead of cleaned up newsprint scans, and the translation is usually way better.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'll second that. But have they changed their online reader format?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sadly not really, but it's... functional enough? I just read it on a tablet anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, I figured it would take way longer for one of the death touch guys to try and touch Vault Boy, but here we are.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
If I had to guess, there won't be any physical confrontation. We just had a whole spiel about how these guys hadn't [provably] done anything yet.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Asimo posted:

Sadly not really, but it's... functional enough? I just read it on a tablet anyway.

That is ... unfortunate. It was literally the only thing that made me cancel my subscription, though I kept it for an extra year without once using their reader. Once I get some more scratch I'll do the same thing again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

This is the most Toshinori pose i've ever seen anyone pull that's not called All Might.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've read shounen before. I know that this will be a tense verbal confrontation that almost escalates to a fight, but Deku ultimately ultimately backs down this time because he has no proof. He could tail Overhaul afterwards or something, though, and get in a whole mess of trouble.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda weird that he is wearing his mask, think he would try to keep a low profile. Maybe he has a messed mouth.

Wait, does he know there is a hero after him?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda weird that he is wearing his mask, think he would try to keep a low profile. Maybe he has a messed mouth.

Wait, does he know there is a hero after him?

He's not wanted by the police. Nighteye was just saying this chapter that he hasn't done anything illegal yet, that's why it's a surveillance mission.

Also he's a yakuza, they don't generally bother with low profile.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Reinanigans posted:

Lay off the art. Yes, it's rough in a couple of places, but manga artists are on such a ridiculous schedule that the fact that 15/19 pages of this are amazing quality is a major feat already.

It was just jarring. It's not like we're talking about a pose or two looking funny. There's several literal rough draft panels in this issue--it's worrying especially considering the schedule manga artists have.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

The stereotypical Yakuza goon tactic (in stories, at least) is to be blatantly, obviously, loudly a criminal, impossible to ignore, obviously up to no good, but not actually commit any crimes where they can be seen, and to keep your mouth shut if the cops actually do arrest you. So everyone sees the criminal leaving his cocaine house to go buy some sex slaves at the market, but the cops aren't arresting him. He must be terrifying! And in a few months when he says he can make your regulatory problems go away and also provide totally legal security, well, paying him seems like a good idea.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think that noticing it and commenting on it is one thing that's to be expected, sure, but it's another to say that it means the manga is on the decline in any way. These guys have such nutso schedules that things like this are inevitable and the fact it took three years for cracks to show is more impressive than anything.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Begemot posted:

He's not wanted by the police. Nighteye was just saying this chapter that he hasn't done anything illegal yet, that's why it's a surveillance mission.

Also he's a yakuza, they don't generally bother with low profile.

Well he did explode that one dude, but I guess the police don't know about that yet.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Rhonne posted:

Well he did explode that one dude, but I guess the police don't know about that yet.

Hey, that was self defense.

I'm not sure that Sir had a plan for actually running into the guy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rhonne posted:

They did also murder the heck outta those guys that stole the atm in Twice's chapter. But I guess there were no cops around?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

HellCopter posted:

Hey, that was self defense.

I'm not sure that Sir had a plan for actually running into the guy.

"It's very easy, if I touch him, I'll know everything he does."

"But Sir, if you touch him, he'll blow you up."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blockhouse posted:

how do you beat nighteye's quirk?

you don't

I don't think he sees everything. Just literally what the person will be doing. He saw Deku on the ground "cowering" but didn't have any context for it. When the time came, he laughed because he had no idea that he would be faced with the situation he had been placed in. So someone who effects the environment would probably have an easier time dealing with him than someone like Deku.

Also I think that's why he cares so much about humor. He likes the unpredictable nature of it, when you can see all the punchlines coming the ones that catch you off guard are great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like the best way to deal with Sir, assuming he only sees what someone's body will be doing in the future, is to somehow throw something at him in a way where it doesn't look like you're throwing something. Otherwise he would still see whenever you punched/kicked him and be able to counter it.

Melee weapons might also work, assuming his vision is truly limited to just the person and not any objects they may be holding. He might see you swinging a weapon at him but not know how long the weapon is or what kind of shape it has, etc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
nah he says he saw deku slumped over with a form in hand

dude sees everything on a target's person for sure

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nothing is actually going to happen with Overhaul, it's a hook to kick off the arc and it'll probably come up later when Overhaul recognizes Deku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ytlaya posted:

Melee weapons might also work, assuming his vision is truly limited to just the person and not any objects they may be holding.
I wonder if he has any problems with public speaking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Overhaul might just wear the mask due to him being a germaphobe.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The actual best way to deal with Sir Nighteye is not to let him touch you in the first place.

Also, the ending of this chapter went in a really dark direction. Is Overhaul running a human trafficking operation? If so, seems a bit much for Jump.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 24, 2017

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Begemot posted:

They did also murder the heck outta those guys that stole the atm in Twice's chapter. But I guess there were no cops around?

The report that Bubble Girl got tickled over was about that meeting. So Nighteye is very much on their trail.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, I like the contrast that's being set up between Deku and Togata. A while back I noted that while Deku is a fairly typical protagonist for an American superhero comic, he's an unusual protagonist for a shonen manga in some ways. Sir Nighteye is essentially saying that a more typical shonen protagonist like Togata (self-confident, cheerful, kind of an idiot) is what the world needs.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Silver2195 posted:

The actual best way to deal with Sir Nighteye is not to let him touch you in the first place.

Also, the ending of this chapter went in a really dark direction. Is Overhaul running a human trafficking operation? If so, seems a bit much for Jump.

I'm guessing a similar quirk-eugenics program to Endeavour, but on a larger scale. It seems to be the only other way to get quirks you want without A4O.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, I like the contrast that's being set up between Deku and Togata. A while back I noted that while Deku is a fairly typical protagonist for an American superhero comic, he's an unusual protagonist for a shonen manga in some ways. Sir Nighteye is essentially saying that a more typical shonen protagonist like Togata (self-confident, cheerful, kind of an idiot) is what the world needs.

Yeah, in the search for a new person to take up All Might's mantle, Sir thinks only someone who has All Might's temperament - seemingly confident, capable of reassuring the masses with his very present, a permanent smile on his face - is the worthy successor.

And, in some way, he does have a point - Deku doesn't really exude the same impact and force that All Might and Mirio did. He shows his negative emotions (despair, confusion, fear, etc.) far more easily. How can the people have faith in that?

But Deku's probably on his way to becoming a different type of hero from All Might, anyways.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might's insistence on being a symbol and that there needs to be a symbol is the reason everything is so hosed up anyway. All Might's idea was bad.

A symbol/leader is nice during times of extreme strife but at some point for society to become stable the symbol/leader needs to step aside and everyone needs to step up and the systems in place need to be good.

You cannot count on just having this unbroken line of good successors, or living forever or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think that's gonna be his realization, eventually, when he finally acknowledges Deku. The idea that just because he's inheriting All Might's power doesn't mean he has to inherit his methods.

Edit "Gimpy Gran Torino" is a hilarious insult, not gonna lie.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

All Might's insistence on being a symbol and that there needs to be a symbol is the reason everything is so hosed up anyway. All Might's idea was bad.

A symbol/leader is nice during times of extreme strife but at some point for society to become stable the symbol/leader needs to step aside and everyone needs to step up and the systems in place need to be good.

You cannot count on just having this unbroken line of good successors, or living forever or whatever.

Alternatively, Deku needs to become a different type of symbol. All Might was like a pillar. As long as he was around, everything would be okay. Deku, or whoever, needs to become a guidepost. The type of person people wanna be like, and try their best to measure up to. A real "What Would Deku Do?" type of character.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really Deku's biggest strength anyway is how well he works together with others, and can get people quickly working together on a plan that makes use of their strengths. He's not fit to stand as the singular pillar that holds everything up alone, he's the foundation on which everyone else can stand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, I think I have a decent metaphor.

Nighteye expects Deku to be Superman, while he's much better suited to act as Teen Titans-era Tim Drake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well yea, all might is basically the original superman from back when he'd leap tall buildings in a single bound instead of just flying over them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Really Deku's biggest strength anyway is how well he works together with others, and can get people quickly working together on a plan that makes use of their strengths. He's not fit to stand as the singular pillar that holds everything up alone, he's the foundation on which everyone else can stand.

Well, to be fair once he can fully harness One for All he'll be so absurdly strong that he would be able to hold everything up alone in most cases.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver2195 posted:

One piece has had that sort of thing for over a decade though, if not more extreme.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

One piece has had that sort of thing for over a decade though, if not more extreme.

And Naruto had Orochimaru dissecting orphans and other villagers for his immortality research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

Well, to be fair once he can fully harness One for All he'll be so absurdly strong that he would be able to hold everything up alone in most cases.

That's probably like ten years in the future when his bones are fully grown and he has packed enough muscle. Unless he gets crippled before then