Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought the same thing about things like the free personal pan pizza coupon for pizza hut that came with TMNT 2 for the NES in the instruction manual (expired: 1992). My mom offered to take us in to pizza hut to turn it in but I said no because I thought I might be able to get more than one pizza if I waited until everyone else turned theirs in. Turns out I can't even get a personal pan pizza for it anymore. Also a big plastic crate full of all the old nintendo powers we got that will probably remain there unsold until I die.

This is one of the weirder examples of kid logic I've heard in a while. What was your reasoning behind somehow getting a second pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is one of the weirder examples of kid logic I've heard in a while. What was your reasoning behind somehow getting a second pizza?

Maybe he thought coupons were like savings bonds or something?

I'm surprised he can't get at least the price of a personal pan pizza for it from a video game collector, though. There are people really into complete-in-box games that will even pay for those awful, kitschy Nintendo Power subscription come-ons.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It also deals with the human an emotional costs of being robocop, something which the first movie completely glossed over.

Wowzers, maybe you ought to watch the first one before critiquing it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

starkebn posted:

First movie was all "Bitches leave!" so he did, and never finished it.

(I like you, Jorts.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

starkebn posted:

Granted, it has been some times since I've seen it, but I really don't remember Murphy struggling with being robocop for more than a couple seconds of screen time.

"I'm sad I don't have a penis anymore. But I have a cool pistol now so I guess this is overall a net gain."

Maybe I'll rewatch it soon to see if it really did reflect the human cost of cybernetics.

Aramek posted:

First movie was all "Bitches leave!" so he did, and never finished it.

(I like you, Jorts.)

:kimchi:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Granted, it has been some times since I've seen it, but I really don't remember Murphy struggling with being robocop for more than a couple seconds of screen time

It's about half of the movie

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The original robocop is even more politically and socially relevant today than it was when it was made.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Baronjutter posted:

The original robocop is even more politically and socially relevant today than it was when it was made.

Likewise Starship Troopers.

God, Paul Verhoeven owns.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think starship troopers is a big pile of garbage, completely insufferable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most of the movie critics agree with you so it's a popular opinion.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the unisex shower scene. Fascism sucks but in this future they finally reached gender and racial equality and they only sexualized it a little bit. If you watch the scene again nobody is ogling at each other whatsoever.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the unisex shower scene. Fascism sucks but in this future they finally reached gender and racial equality and they only sexualized it a little bit. If you watch the scene again nobody is ogling at each other whatsoever.

Verhoeven is great, and I loved the first half or so of Starship Troopers, but I felt like it lost its satirical edge at some point and never recovered it. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean yeah at that point we're just watching an action movie but I think it's really fun. I love seeing Doogie Howser in the nazi uniform and the little news snippet that says that humans probably started the war against the bugs when they started colonizing their territory.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pastry of the Year posted:

Verhoeven is great, and I loved the first half or so of Starship Troopers, but I felt like it lost its satirical edge at some point and never recovered it. :(

they handle the satire in the first half in a very forward/obvious actors-almost-winking-at-the-camera sort of way, and they def overall took a kind of stepford wives approach to presenting the book's perfect fascism; in the last half it's a little more oblique because it's hidden behind drama and big action sequences but i'd for sure say the last scene or two brings the satire back in a way anyone could get

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought for whatever reason that the coupons had value to the company and they wanted them, which is why they will trade you free stuff to get them. I figured once the supply ran out I could use their rarity as leverage to get more out of them.

It was stupid but in my defense I was like 5 years old.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I thought for whatever reason that the coupons had value to the company and they wanted them, which is why they will trade you free stuff to get them. I figured once the supply ran out I could use their rarity as leverage to get more out of them.

I want to hug you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't think my brain as a 5 year old would've even been able to approach the idea of supply and demand tradeoffs

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
"Apocalypse Now" is a better movie than "Heart of Darkness" is a novella.

Princess Peach is the best Smash Bros. character, followed by Ganondorf.

I am more miserable hearing "Tears in Heaven" then Clapton was when he was inspired to write it.

I think the man-bun is fine. Just call it a bun though and embrace a whole new world of poo poo you can do with your hair. You don't need to prefix it with "man" to wear a little side chignon.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tony Bologna posted:

Princess Peach is the best Smash Bros. character, followed by Ganondorf.

this is not the unpopular facts thread, sir.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Tony Bologna posted:

I think the man-bun is fine. Just call it a bun though and embrace a whole new world of poo poo you can do with your hair. You don't need to prefix it with "man" to wear a little side chignon.

I am a dude with long hair, and I infrequently get asked if I put it in a man bun and it pisses me off. Just call it a bun, that's what it is. My male ego won't shatter into pieces without adding the prefex of man to every activity I take part in.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

spit on my clit posted:

this is not the unpopular facts thread, sir.

Oh sorry. Let me amend that.

The biggest problem with putting pineapple on pizza is putting perfectly good fruit on the greasy hosed up mess that is pizza. Pizza is everything great; bread, sauce, and cheese slapped together in ungodly amounts it's gonna be a hard pass from me, thank you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Figs on pizza is really good. Those usually don't have a sauce on it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Figs on pizza is really good. Those usually don't have a sauce on it.

Fig, bacon, feta pizza incoming!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I am a dude with long hair, and I infrequently get asked if I put it in a man bun and it pisses me off. Just call it a bun, that's what it is. My male ego won't shatter into pieces without adding the prefex of man to every activity I take part in.

Part of me delights in the typical fraility of the male ego, part of me is enraged by it. I was talking with a guy friend the other night about a mutual friend being into ridiculous movie/game gore while literally clasping his hands over his ears if you mention tampons.

So yeah, buns are cool, having to put "man" in front of it is what makes it retarded. Every time I see "man" Q-Tips there's a distant explosion in my brain.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

So just like the first Robocop. The only difference being the reboot doesn't have the over-the-top blood (which I'm completely indifferent to), and the social commentary is updated for the 21st century. It also deals with the human an emotional costs of being robocop, something which the first movie completely glossed over.

The reboot has an excellent scene where Alex Murphy is visiting his kid for the first time since being transformed, and the framing is incredible for an action movie. He stands as his kid sits in a chair, with his head, the only part of him that's human, completely out of frame. The shot lingers uncomfortably long on this scene, as the kid just takes in the fact that his loving father is no longer a person. Surprisingly touching and emotional for something in an action movie.

No not at all like the original robocop are you crazy? The original robocop is one of the best paced tightly written screenplays of all time.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Every time I see "man" Q-Tips there's a distant explosion in my brain.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "man" Q-Tip? I've never heard this before and it sounds dumb as hell.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Man-only products are the exact same thing, but they're branded using camo, black and gold, gunmetal gray, or other similar colors

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "man" Q-Tip? I've never heard this before and it sounds dumb as hell.

Oh honey

So basically someone looked at how pink razors are exactly identical to other razors but they're marketed as being somehow "for women" and thereby more expensive, and then thought "oh hell yeah, we can do this to men as well"

ah yes, I was going to save a few cents on the store brand, but this brushed metal plate assures me a spot on the Wall of Tough Guys

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

You Are A Elf posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "man" Q-Tip?

(Someone will get it.)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sentient Data posted:

Man-only products are the exact same thing, but they're branded using camo, black and gold, gunmetal gray, or other similar colors

I laughed when I saw a "man" chapstick. They made the container a thin rectangle so the rounded one won't show in your pocket. It's such a weird insecure product. Who is that scared of having their manhood questioned by loving chapstick.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I want to hug you

I think most of the people in this thread could use a hug. Just a big ole hug.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Oh honey

So basically someone looked at how pink razors are exactly identical to other razors but they're marketed as being somehow "for women" and thereby more expensive, and then thought "oh hell yeah, we can do this to men as well"

ah yes, I was going to save a few cents on the store brand, but this brushed metal plate assures me a spot on the Wall of Tough Guys

Holy poo poo, that's bad. I never really pay attention to MAN©™ products and just buy what's cheap or what I'm used to. I did see Bounce dryer sheets for men and laughed. I just buy fuckin' Snuggle because it smells good.

I'm a dude buying the dryer sheets with a fluffy bear on the cover called Snuggle. COME AT ME, INSECURE BROS.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Oh honey

can't call it sexist if the exploitation goes both ways :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I admit to buying the "for men" version of body wash/shampoo, but only because I like it and like to stick with what I know I like.

I also like the "it's not for women" dr pepper ten. In both of these cases I feel like they shot themselves in the foot by producing a good product but alienated half of the customer base for no reason.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've used a Venus razor to shave my beard before. It felt like the smoothest and most comfortable blade ever, but that was probably just a placebo effect of marketing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I admit to buying the "for men" version of body wash/shampoo, but only because I like it and like to stick with what I know I like.

I also like the "it's not for women" dr pepper ten. In both of these cases I feel like they shot themselves in the foot by producing a good product but alienated half of the customer base for no reason.

Eh, I'll give you guy's body wash and shampoo. They're usually scented differently/unscented and holy gently caress, do I love the smell of men's toiletries. If I'm doing anything strenuous I'll wear men's deodorant because it doesn't have the flowery stink/sweat thing going and just actively makes you smell great. I'd wear cologne if a woman wearing cologne wasn't something people feel they need to comment on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The crossed out shoe logo says "NOT FOR LADIES"

loving broads can't handle my gently salted chips! SEMPER FI

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Das Boo posted:

Eh, I'll give you guy's body wash and shampoo. They're usually scented differently/unscented and holy gently caress, do I love the smell of men's toiletries. If I'm doing anything strenuous I'll wear men's deodorant because it doesn't have the flowery stink/sweat thing going and just actively makes you smell great. I'd wear cologne if a woman wearing cologne wasn't something people feel they need to comment on.

Guys deodorant also doesn't have aluminum.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

That was such a weird advertising campaign. Zero calorie diet dr pepper is, what, too feminine? for the average male so they injected ten calories and told women to gently caress off? Would've loved to be present at that pitch.

Wonder if there's a For Men brand vaginal douche.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Rob posted:

All the better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Anti-perspirants definitely have aluminum