Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Of course, lost in all the doom and gloom is the great news that Christian Leali'ifano's leukemia has gone into remission, and may yet resume his career.

Sure as hell wasn't lost to me.

Mister Chief posted:

Mark Reason says creatine is killing everyone[/url]

It's definitely Creatine. Has nothing to do with CTEs, the stress of long-term injuries or transitioning from literally the only structure you've known for the better part of a decade. No siree.

Every other professional sport is having this issue with retired players suffering horrific consequences for their careers. I'm surprised it's taking this long to attach it to Rugby Union.

Unimpressed posted:

Super rugby is back! Kiwis still good, Aussies still bad, kiwis playing for Aussie teams still the worst. Not sure anyone gives a gently caress about the saffers....

I take the Finland approach to Super Rugby. Apparently Finland do this thing in sports where if you tell a Finnish person the result of a sports tournament they're nation is taking part in, one of their first responses is apparently "But where did Sweden end up?".
If the Brumbies lose almost every game this year, but still finish higher than the Tahs it will be a successful season. I really don't care about what happens with the other 16 teams, although it'd be nice if the Rebels or Force did something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Super rugby is back! Kiwis still good, Aussies still bad, kiwis playing for Aussie teams still the worst. Not sure anyone gives a gently caress about the saffers....

I'm just wanting the Sunwolves to step up this year.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'm just wanting the Sunwolves to step up this year.

Personally I think this is the year the argies realise their potential, if they can overcome the travel.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

With everyone else having issues I really feel like this is the Rebels year to make the fina-

Welp.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Personally I think this is the year the argies realise their potential, if they can overcome the travel.

They are the most hot and cold team because of that. Go to Argentina and you're playing against the Pumas, anywhere else? Less so.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Aramoro posted:

They are the most hot and cold team because of that. Go to Argentina and you're playing against the Pumas, anywhere else? Less so.

They seem to be be able to put together fantastic offloading, flowing, rugby and score excellent tries and at exactly the same time leak 4 tries without even blinking. If they can shore up their defence I think they could be really good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The Argies have the right idea, but often lack the skill and cohesion to pull it off. If you made a drinking game for how many times they blow a promising attacking opportunity, it'd the last thing you remember before you wake up in a foreign country.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Schlesische posted:

With everyone else having issues I really feel like this is the Rebels year to make the fina-

Welp.

It was bizarre... The Blues looked ... competent? That is not something that has happened for a while.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

It was bizarre... The Blues looked ... competent? That is not something that has happened for a while.

Playing the rebels will do that to you...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

The Argies have the right idea, but often lack the skill and cohesion to pull it off. If you made a drinking game for how many times they blow a promising attacking opportunity, it'd the last thing you remember before you wake up in a foreign country.

Please don't, there are enough drunk kiwis in Sydney already.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Pfft, Jaguares need to get on Scotland's level of missed opportunities before that drinking contest would even make a dent with us. :smith:

Speaking of blown opportunities, here is the Scotland team destined to Scotland it up against Wales this weekend. The astute among you will note that Edinburgh has only managed to get one starter in what is more or less the Glasgow team minus their Pacific Island contingent. Edinburgh are poo poo and the SRU haven't done anything to fix this

Interesting to see Hamish Watson drop to the bench, I thought he was one of the best players for Scotland over the two games but Hardie adds physicality in the tackle(assuming he doesn't concuss himself again) and more control at the breakdown so maybe that's what they're aiming for against a serious Welsh backrow.

Tim Visser comes in for Maitland, who managed to injury his ribs in the Saracens game during the rest week(cheers, cunts :argh: ), he might score a lot of tries, he might let perennially concussed George North run over him to score lots of tries. Who knows? He's better since he moved to Quins but he is still a bit of a defensive liability and Wales will target him with their kicking game.

Ali Price comes in for Laidlaw which should mean faster play from Scotland but it'll also be a bit loose and penalties won't be an automatic 3 points anymore with Finn kicking.

It'll be close but I think Wales will win it because they're a more structured side and aren't missing their starting 9.

1. Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors)
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
4. Richie Gray (Toulouse)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6. John Barclay (Scarlets)
7. John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Tim Visser (Harlequins)
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Huw Jones (Stormers)
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)

16. Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby)
17. Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby)
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby)
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
20. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
21. Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Duncan Weir (Edinburgh Rugby)
23. Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

God drat. Aaron Smith's 'stache is terrifying.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Thel posted:

God drat. Aaron Smith's 'stache is terrifying.

It is trying to take over his face. Half the team have stupid moustaches. Losing is what they deserve.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Are the Ioane brothers considered big All Black prospects? Because they look bloody good to me, amd I thought so last year as well

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Rieko already is, with 2 test caps to his name. Conrad Smith's departure at the end of the 2015 and Charlie Ngatai's concussion issues made a huge gap that allowed him to hop right in.

Akira is expected to be an All Black in the near future, but he is in a fairly well-contested position as a 6/8 against the incumbent Jerome Kaino, the returned Liam Messam, Liam Squire, Elliot Dixon and potentially Blade Thomson and Brad Shields.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good to see the Ioane brothers do well in the full 15s game. They were excellent in the 7s but sometimes players don't make the transition very well.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hurricanes really should have broken the record there.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just back from the hurricanes game. Was pretty close in the end. Things are looking up for the sunwolves.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Lookin' forward to Scotland Wales

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Will North survive the match with his remaining brain cells?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

Will North survive the match with his remaining brain cells?

I'm reasonably certain he's a cyborg with a computer brain that requires periodic restarts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, lengthy scrum rests are on the cards.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was dumb, Price. Dumb.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A bit slow and stuttering.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Bit scrappy so far both sides are defending well though. Lot of turnovers.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

John Hardie will tackle you with his face

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Not sure how sustainable Scotlands interception based defence is...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More sustainable than more player losses.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Good try, simple hands but exploited most of the Scots deciding to stand in a big group looking at the ball.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yay, clownball!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like Scotland are lacking a small angry man telling them where to stand.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

haha nice attempt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was about to pick him up by the throat then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some tasty lock-on-lock violence happening out there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good counter attack, would have been better if more than five people had decided to take part in it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That could be an expensive try if he's more than winded.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Lovely finish, almost an incredible tackle

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Sick finish, Scotland getting a taste of it now should be a great end to the game.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Scotland suddenly kicking rear end and I've gone from woah good game to oh my god wales why do you hurt me like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
That possession chart looked like a pisstake