Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Xander77 posted:

2. Multilinks (right click and drag to open a bunch of tabs at once). Causes firefox to run very slow, and hang up whenever I right click. Tried to uninstall and install multilinks plus - exact same thing. Any add-ons that work?

FireGestures has this feature. The default gesture is right, then up to open all highlighted links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xander77 posted:

2. Multilinks (right click and drag to open a bunch of tabs at once). Causes firefox to run very slow, and hang up whenever I right click. Tried to uninstall and install multilinks plus - exact same thing. Any add-ons that work?

Snap Links Plus version 2.4.3 is perfection. Just make sure you disable automatic updates for it or it will update to a newer version which is crap.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xander77 posted:

3. For some reason, I can no longer kill firefox by ending the process once in task manager. The first kill just crashes all the tabs, and it takes a second to close it. Why?

Firefox is multi-process now. Sounds like you closed the content (tabs) process first.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Desuwa posted:

Except Firefox isn't going to see its market share come back because you cannot buy advertisement as good as the nags on google.com for Chrome and the nags inside Windows for edge. Plus Chrome does opt-out bundling with installers of other programs, which Mozilla won't do, and edge comes preinstalled on Windows, which Mozilla can't do.

This is exactly why Mozilla's continued feature reductions and UI changes for no good reason, etc. piss me off so much. Chasing the Chrome dragon is fruitless because of this, and there have to be some people in the high level decision making that know this, but whoever arbitrates the final results ignoring it is so horribly wrong.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xander77 posted:

1. For some reason, youtube videos went back to autoplaying (as far as I know, that's the default youtube setting, no matter what browser of computer you're on), with ads. I have ublock and youtube center on (I also have ublock on chrome, doesn't help with ads there anymore either). Anything that can replace them?

You don't need to replace them, just wait for filter maintainers or the main dev to update when they figure out what to block.

But in the long term, you may just have to accept ads on youtube at some point. If youtube finds a way to make ads that are served from the same source and are part of the same media stream as the video you want to see, that will be almost impossible to block. I think it's just a CPU issue for them: if they had enough processing power to re-encapsulate every video on the fly, they could do it right now. Re-encapsulation doesn't take a ton of CPU power, but they serve a lot of video. It'll happen some time.

Accept it, get a youtube red subscription, or start watching stuff that doesn't monetize with video ads.

Can't help you with the autoplay thing, hasn't happened to me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Why is it so difficult to get a 64 bit installer for Firefox on Windows?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is it? It should be prominently marked in the big ol release list: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

fishmech posted:

Is it? It should be prominently marked in the big ol release list: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Oh I know it's there but that page isn't linked anywhere obvious, plus the stub installer only offers 32 bit so far as I know.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Download firefox for another platform
Windows 64-bit

it's linked right there on the main firefox page

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My guess: the slightly less compatible version is slightly harder to get. Probably cuts their support volume by a ton.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Snap Links Plus version 2.4.3 is perfection. Just make sure you disable automatic updates for it or it will update to a newer version which is crap.
Thanks. Is there a setting / version that leaves you on the same tab you've opened the links from, instead of automatically going to the first new open tab?

Klyith posted:

Can't help you with the autoplay thing, hasn't happened to me.
As far as I know, that's the default youtube behavior. I've never clicked on a new video and had it wait until I pressed play. Doesn't matter what browser or what computer I'm on.

I dunno, it might be an Israel-only thing, but I kinda doubt that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. Is there a setting / version that leaves you on the same tab you've opened the links from, instead of automatically going to the first new open tab?

Got you covered:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So is FireFox still a decent choice for a Mac or have I been left in the dust by younger, hipper browsers?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Rangpur posted:

So is FireFox still a decent choice for a Mac or have I been left in the dust by younger, hipper browsers?
It's not as punchy as Safari or Chrome, but once loaded it runs fine.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Rangpur posted:

Runs great for me.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Very seldomly, Firefox just completely shits itself and doesnt load any tabs (claiming it couldn't establish a connection to the websites), or if it does load something like twitter, no images load. Youtube worked perfectly fine but that was it. Restarting had the same problem persist until I refreshed the pages. is the multi-process stuff just failing when that happens?

edit: Discord also failed to send messages, but received them just fine. Maybe it's my internet?

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 27, 2017

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Mozilla has acquired Pocket

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What do you think, axed within two years?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

I guess that explains the random Pocket integration that showed up about a year ago

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alereon posted:

What do you think, axed within two years?

I'd like to see if there's usage stats...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize Pocket was still a thing. I've forgotten the last time I had to drag it off a browser UI.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks for reminding it still existed. High time to uninstall it from my phone, I haven't used it in ages!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I switched to Pocket from Readability because it died, hope that Mozilla doesn't axe Pocket because Instapaper has reliability issues.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Got you covered:

Thanks, that worked. Don't know how I missed it.

Another add-on that stopped working with the latest Firefox update - Save Images. Anything that allows you to save all the images in multiple tabs?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

whomupclicklike posted:

I switched to Pocket from Readability because it died, hope that Mozilla doesn't axe Pocket because Instapaper has reliability issues.

If you actually care about a bookmarking / archiving, you should use Pinboard. It's the only one with a business model, which means it's the one that's likely to stay in business.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait to have to get rid of that Pocket icon again when they start a new round of pushing it down everyone's throat. Also, isn't this literally what bookmarks are for?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Whoops! Google forgot/was too lazy to make Hangsouts voice/video calls work in Firefox without requiring any plugins!

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/02/google-hangouts-temporary-issues-with-firefox.html

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Dark One posted:

Whoops! Google forgot/was too lazy to make Hangsouts voice/video calls work in Firefox without requiring any plugins!

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/02/google-hangouts-temporary-issues-with-firefox.html

Yes, :airquote:temporary:airquote:. Just use Internet Explorer, a browser so well-supported that even Microsoft is abandoning it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Klyith posted:

If you actually care about a bookmarking / archiving, you should use Pinboard. It's the only one with a business model, which means it's the one that's likely to stay in business.

I use these services exclusively for reading articles from the web instead of as a bookmarking or archival tool, but I do appreciate your advice!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was tired of Chrome, tried and disliked Opera, have now jumped ship to Firefox. Liking it a lot so far, performance is very good, ublock origin on mobile is a god send. Only one tiny fly in the ointment, animated GIFs are like kryptonite to it. One page of the GIF thread and the browser is squirming on the floor. Improved somewhat when I replaced the accidentally downloaded (and previously mentioned) 32-bit version, it totally poo poo itself like an ebola victim. But even a single one plays back poorly with jerks on every loop so there's clearly something not right. Hardware accel is enabled, anything else to do about it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ola posted:

Was tired of Chrome, tried and disliked Opera, have now jumped ship to Firefox. Liking it a lot so far, performance is very good, ublock origin on mobile is a god send. Only one tiny fly in the ointment, animated GIFs are like kryptonite to it. One page of the GIF thread and the browser is squirming on the floor. Improved somewhat when I replaced the accidentally downloaded (and previously mentioned) 32-bit version, it totally poo poo itself like an ebola victim. But even a single one plays back poorly with jerks on every loop so there's clearly something not right. Hardware accel is enabled, anything else to do about it?

GIFs aren't hardware accelerated. Theoretically you could but no one has processor die space for that.

They'll poo poo up anything that isn't a workstation or similarly powerful and there's not a lot to be done about it. If you're talking about Android, you might give the Awful app a shot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

GIFs aren't hardware accelerated. Theoretically you could but no one has processor die space for that.

They'll poo poo up anything that isn't a workstation or similarly powerful and there's not a lot to be done about it. If you're talking about Android, you might give the Awful app a shot.

I switched on both laptop and mobile for bookmark/tab sync, but the gif making GBS threads is taking place on the laptop. Chrome and Edge handles it fine, but Firefox doesn't, on the same laptop, so it's definitely Firefox that is the problem. But scrolling through a huge amount of GIFs isn't a big priority in my life so it's not a big deal.

e: I've never thought hardware acceleration meant anything more than "use more computer, make it work better".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It seems that when I start Subnautica, Firefox starts choking on youtube video. Anyone else having anything like this?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Given the absolute proliferation of 50-100MB GIFs everywhere, I'm surprised all browsers haven't implemented click to play.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Ola posted:

Are they actually GIFs or embedded videos? A lot of sites can serve both, so the videos can be hardware accelerated but the actual GIFs won't. There also was a bug that would make Firefox hang entirely for a while processing GIFs but I think that was fixed a few versions ago.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

endlessmonotony posted:

It seems that when I start Subnautica, Firefox starts choking on youtube video. Anyone else having anything like this?

Buy faster RAM? You're pushing a game and a video to the GPU at the same time. RAM can't transfer data at infinite speeds.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Dark One posted:

Hangouts hasn't worked worth a drat in Firefox for me for a while now. I just get blank boxes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Double Punctuation posted:

Buy faster RAM? You're pushing a game and a video to the GPU at the same time. RAM can't transfer data at infinite speeds.

I've got more than necessary for that, and it doesn't get slow - it freezes on a frame and resumes when I mouse-over the video or make the window active. The sound continues to play, but the video freezes on a frame.

It's a Nvidia card. It doesn't happen on Chrome.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there an extention or userscript that will stop a page from loading embedded YouTube videos? A site for a game I play lets people embed YouTube videos, and it tends to slow Firefox down for a few seconds while it processes them. Frankly, I don't care about the videos, so I'd like to just stop them from loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can definitely kill specific cross site requests with uMatrix or maybe even the gimped version of it that is in uBlock Origin. How elegant that's going to end up being depends on how embedding is implemented in that site.