Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

Probably because having Messenger twice in your app drawer is confusing

I only count one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

I only count one.

At this point I think it's fair to say the majority of Android users have Facebook Messenger installed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Oh, hey, Google renamed Messenger to Android Messages for, I can only assume, reasons.

Meanwhile, Allo looks like it might be getting a desktop app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-allo-finally-getting-desktop-client

Keep loving that chicken Google, maybe if you bang rocks together long enough you'll figure messaging out.

The sad thing is, they're still not even close to getting it right. I'd almost agrue that they're farther away now than they were in 2010.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

Probably because having Messenger twice in your app drawer is confusing

Drawer says "Messages" now...not even the name of the app, "Android Messages."

google.txt

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of Google messaging apps

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/23/googles-vp-communications-products-teases-early-image-allo-web/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

google.txt

Plenty of apps have different names whether you're looking at the Play Store entry or the app drawer and for good reason. No one wants or needs a two line or truncated description for their SMS app.

Nearly all Google apps are called "Google [name]" in the Play Store. Hell, Maps is called "Maps - Navigation & Transit". This is nothing new.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Little late, but I replaced Chrome with Firefox (plus uBlock Origin) on my phone and I'm pretty happy with it's performance and features.

Haven't noticed any problems other people have mentioned. :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I don't know what I want more- google products that don't fundamentally change/break/disappear suddenly after an update, or for them to make a god drat "dark" theme option for once

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I have my work calendar synced to my phone and as we have the meeting rooms named after not so local landmarks so I get notifications over an hour in advance telling me that I need to leave now to make the meeting

Is there a way to convince my phone that these meetings are taking place in the building that I'm already in?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

hotsauce posted:

google.txt

Point is it's no longer exactly the same drawer name as another popular app.

As Lastinline said it isn't like any of their other apps have a consistent naming convention

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Sometimes I don't know what I want more- google products that don't fundamentally change/break/disappear suddenly after an update, or for them to make a god drat "dark" theme option for once

Dark themes are terrible though. Only nerds like them and normals all prefer easy-to-read, aesthetically pleasing dark text on a bright field with colorful UI elements. Everything I can think of that goes the other way is either straight up nerd poo poo (Steam, WinAmp skins) or just awful design (cable box UIs).

Android looked like trash the three times they tried a dark theme (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich) so why should they do it again? All it does is make things gloomy and difficult to read and it certainly turns more people off than is necessary.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Dark themes seem to really shine when it's, y'know, dark. I don't like getting a text from someone in the middle of the night and being blinded even though my phone is on the lowest brightness setting. Also i'm pretty sure that post is calling for an option, not to redesign the entire google app suite and android UI to be dark theme only.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Everything I can think of that goes the other way is either straight up nerd poo poo (Steam, WinAmp skins) or just awful design (cable box UIs).

I don't know if this fits in your nerd poo poo theory but since Adobe made dark UIs an option several years ago in creative suite products I've never seen anyone at any design agency use anything else. I stare at black/grey well designed UIs all day. And ironically the people designing these things for Google are absolutely doing it in a black Adobe UI too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scudworth posted:

I don't know if this fits in your nerd poo poo theory but since Adobe made dark UIs an option several years ago in creative suite products I've never seen anyone at any design agency use anything else. I stare at black/grey well designed UIs all day. And ironically the people designing these things for Google are absolutely doing it in a black Adobe UI too.

Pretty much all applications designed to be stared at all day by professionals, from 3d modeling packages to IDEs, have a dark theme, sometimes even as the default.

But nope, can't possibly be a reason for that. Nerd poo poo lol.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fluppet posted:

I have my work calendar synced to my phone and as we have the meeting rooms named after not so local landmarks so I get notifications over an hour in advance telling me that I need to leave now to make the meeting

Is there a way to convince my phone that these meetings are taking place in the building that I'm already in?

Are you using Google Calendar? That's what I use, and I have it set to show a notification a day in advance, though I can easily change the time. All it does is pop up the Calendar icon, with the name of the event.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I can't wait to be able to talk to myself on another platform

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Oh, hey, Google renamed Messenger to Android Messages for, I can only assume, reasons.

Meanwhile, Allo looks like it might be getting a desktop app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-allo-finally-getting-desktop-client

Keep loving that chicken Google, maybe if you bang rocks together long enough you'll figure messaging out.

It's completely baffling how incompetent their messaging teams are. They have the capability to create something way better than iMessage and they have for years, but they just.... Don't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

Dark themes are terrible though.

Nah.

LastInLine posted:

Only nerds like them and normals all prefer easy-to-read, aesthetically pleasing dark text on a bright field with colorful UI elements.

Nope. Stop projecting your nerd tastes and assuming that's what a normal person wants.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I need a recommendations on calendar software and am hoping you guys can help.

Our office uses a cloud-based platform that includes a company-wide shared calendar. The platform provides an .ics link. Our iOS users can add the calendar directly to their devices by adding the link, but Android does not appear to have native support.

We have been using a workaround where Android users add the .ics as a shared calendar to their gmail account (we use Gmail for business) and then sync that with their device, but there's a problem. Google calendar only refreshes the .ics like once a day, so the devices are never up to date, which is really bad.

Any recommendations on a good alternative to the stock calendar that supports .ics?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Dark themes are terrible though. Only nerds like them and normals all prefer easy-to-read, aesthetically pleasing dark text on a bright field with colorful UI elements. Everything I can think of that goes the other way is either straight up nerd poo poo (Steam, WinAmp skins) or just awful design (cable box UIs).

Android looked like trash the three times they tried a dark theme (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich) so why should they do it again? All it does is make things gloomy and difficult to read and it certainly turns more people off than is necessary.

source your quotes

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Hooly poo poo I just go the new hangouts emojis and they look like garbage (this is very important to me)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Enigma posted:

Our office uses a cloud-based platform that includes a company-wide shared calendar. The platform provides an .ics link. Our iOS users can add the calendar directly to their devices by adding the link, but Android does not appear to have native support.

We have been using a workaround where Android users add the .ics as a shared calendar to their gmail account (we use Gmail for business) and then sync that with their device, but there's a problem. Google calendar only refreshes the .ics like once a day, so the devices are never up to date, which is really bad.

Any recommendations on a good alternative to the stock calendar that supports .ics?

Try Nine. It's got a trial before you have to plop down 20 bucks a device.

Alternatively, how much of an in does your office have with the developers of this platform. How hard would it be to work with them in figuring out something more Android friendly?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Alternatively, how much of an in does your office have with the developers of this platform. How hard would it be to work with them in figuring out something more Android friendly?

Thanks, I'll check out Nine.

Not much of an in, but sometimes I can get them to make minor changes since we were an early adopter of the platform, but not much more than that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Replace "nerd" with "professional".

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Replace "nerd" with "professional".

And "/ OLED user" since some panels have different brightness for scarcer info and accent brights vs broad background brights.

No doubt nerds care more, but the tech is common enough that it's dumb not to be a standard option

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm not doing something correctly, but I do not see any way to just add a shared calendar. I do like that it has an option for non-threaded email conversations though, which is also on my list of things to hunt down. It's just a pain because it only works with paid Gmail accounts so anyone using it will need to check mail with two apps. I tried Boxer for unthreaded email, but it was very buggy.

What I have is a link in the format "webcal://[blah blah]cal.ics" and I am looking for an app that lets me subscribe to that calendar and keeps it up to date.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, you might not be able to. Its more geared towards merging OWA/365 accounts into native Android. Figured it might be worth a try.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but Google Calendar definitely has remote calendar support - here it is on the web:

[e] found by clicking the down-arrow next to 'Other calendars' on the left-hand side, that is.

...ah hang on, I see your issue with refreshing its contents. Disregard. Google's use case for this must be TV show schedules, or something.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 24, 2017

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

spincube posted:

...ah hang on, I see your issue with refreshing its contents. Disregard. Google's use case for this must be TV show schedules, or something.

Yep, it's bizarre. And there are threads all over, including their google calendar forums, dating back years and years of people requesting that be changed.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I see Mighty Text has gone the route of Pushbullet by trying to become a lovely monthly subscription service and severely limiting the number of texts you can send as a free user. Are there any alternatives out there?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, quite lovely that they want to recoup their costs.

I think you can use Join.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm ok with one time purchases; I buy no-ads/premium of everything I use. But sending a few kilobytes of data from my PC to my phone every month hardly qualifies as SaaS. Their poo poo costs $5/month which is pretty high. Hoping Google finally just unfucks SMS at some point with PC based RCS or Microsoft improves Cortana to the point I don't have to worry about it any more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Hoping Google finally just unfucks SMS at some point

Did you hear that allo is getting a web interface

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

I see Mighty Text has gone the route of Pushbullet by trying to become a lovely monthly subscription service and severely limiting the number of texts you can send as a free user. Are there any alternatives out there?

At least it works for you, they never even bothered trying to figure out why I can't sent MMS via them anymore after I paid for support.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

You can use Join, but the apps aren't nearly as polished as PushBullet or Mightytext. It works but...they're quite ugly. Especially the Windows 10 app.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So people were asking about why it's Android Messenger now: https://www.wired.com/2017/02/google-support-for-rcs/

That article goes into it some but the short is they want it to be seen as a ubiquitous Android thing, not a Google thing. So that we finally get our iMessage competitor. Sounds reasonable. Doubt it'll happen, be happy if it does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RCS is not an iMessage competitor.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

DemonMage posted:

So people were asking about why it's Android Messenger now: https://www.wired.com/2017/02/google-support-for-rcs/

That article goes into it some but the short is they want it to be seen as a ubiquitous Android thing, not a Google thing. So that we finally get our iMessage competitor. Sounds reasonable. Doubt it'll happen, be happy if it does.

That is a tremendously stupid article even by the low standards of Wired. Just top to bottom bullshit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

It's a puff piece. RCS maturity is about where SMS was in 1995:

The article posted:

In the US alone, one of the world’s biggest SMS markets, it’s a mess: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint all have different ideas about how RCS should be implemented and supported, and Verizon has no support for the platform at all. If this is going to work—and that’s a real if—it’s going to take a while.
It's completely balkanized and unlikely to work between carriers any time soon. One could even make the argument that Google's involvement will harm RCS adoption, since it will be seen as an attempt to end-run around competitors by "owning" the underlying protocol which is not the case on a technical level, but certainly true in that widespread adoption will obviate Google's need to develop an iMessage clone or viable IM platform.

But the main reason it's a puff piece (aside from the totally-coincidental articles saying the same poo poo on other tech blogs) is that RCS has nothing to do with Google's failure to create an effective iMessage clone even in their diverse ecosystem. They've had countless opportunities to do so and refused, not because they couldn't strongarm OEMs into following suit, but because they want to be able to monitor and datamine the content of conversations between users and neither telecoms nor OEMs would go along with that.

There's no reason they couldn't make an iMessage clone, allow OEMs to brand it and skin it, but make the underlying technology essentially the same with encrypted data moving between devices of any brand so long as they're signed into a Google account through Play Services and falling back to SMS/MMS if they weren't. Take away the encryption and make it a data fountain for Google though and there's no way that's acceptable to any party.

Edit: In the time it took me to write my post pee out my butt said it better:

pee out my butt posted:

That is a tremendously stupid article even by the low standards of Wired. Just top to bottom bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Is there anyway to disable AMP in chrome? I can't loving take it anymore... Or do I need to just switch browsers?