Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

every drive will reach it eventually, at least until you do a secure erase, then afterwards it can haphazardly place blocks again.

this is the state most people will care about day to day and it used to be an issue when SSDs were in the teething phase, but the difference between "steady state" and "fresh out of the box" performance these days is within margin of error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Speaking of which, benchmarks only go really fast on sequential reading and writing. They're basically theoretical values that'll go to poo poo once the drive gets sufficiently fragmented, no?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if by "going to poo poo" you mean losing 12% sequential write speed if the lookup tables are less than optimal, sure

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Internal block size on the e.g. Samsung EVOs is 2MB, NTFS cluster size is 4KB. There's a potential for a lot of mismatch. Write speed isn't so much an issue, I'm more interested in read speed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lordfrikk posted:

Is steady-state something that every drive will reach eventually (I guess like some kind of burn in) or does it require long enough uninterrupted usage after which it will return to "normal" (non-steady-state?)? I'm trying to understand if tests using speeds reached in steady-state are of any consequence for regular consumer workload.

Steady state occurs when a drive has burned through its buffers and has to directly write and read to the NAND. Consumer models can sustain high levels for shorter amounts of time and are tuned for bursts of i/o whereas enterprise drives are tuned to provide better performance while in steady-state.

Benchmarks tend to hit worst-case scenereos so this means more i/o than the buffers can take and then you get to see steady-state performance.

On a consumer machine you will probably never reach a steady-state.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

redeyes posted:

I'd caveat that with a "often enough or for long enough periods of time for it to be relevant"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

Steady state occurs when a drive has burned through its buffers and has to directly write and read to the NAND. Consumer models can sustain high levels for shorter amounts of time and are tuned for bursts of i/o whereas enterprise drives are tuned to provide better performance while in steady-state.

Benchmarks tend to hit worst-case scenereos so this means more i/o than the buffers can take and then you get to see steady-state performance.

Tell that to my 256 GB Samsung 830 back when I was installing GTAV and had just cleared out 35 GB of stuff to make room for it. Turns out Steam's way of reserving the space is the old-fashioned write-a-giant-empty-file method.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have an Adata SU800 (which is a cheap crummy drive) in my work desktop and an 850 Evo in my laptop and I definitely see a difference copying large files over.

Samsung

Adata

The Evo can easily saturate gigabit ethernet on a large file, the SU800 does only for a short time before it runs out of cache.

E. Both 250GB drives with a similar amount of usage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

100MB/s shouldn't be an issue for any SSD in the last 3 year should it? I mean my old Intel X-25 could do that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you have let an SSD get too full, will trim bring it back to normal performance when you remove some data? Do you need to secure erase the drive?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Building a rig, want an M.2 for OS and some programs/games.

I am looking at those three.

960 EVO
960 PRO
MP500

Which one should I choose? I don't know much about them. Any other models to consider?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dante80 posted:

960 EVO
960 PRO
MP500

Which one should I choose? I don't know much about them. Any other models to consider?

Clarify first - do you want a NVMe drive or just a drive in the M.2 form factor? The former are significantly faster, but this isn't super apparent in daily use and they are significantly more expensive. If you just care about the form factor, I'd recommend the Sandisk x400 or the Samsung 850 EVO. Do note however, that you'll need to check with your motherboard manufacturer to make sure that it supports SATA M.2 drives, as not all do. Similarly, if you want a NVMe drive, make sure that it supports NVMe M.2 drives, as again, not all motherboards do.

Other than that, go for the 960 EVO. There're very few reasons for a consumer to get a PRO drive.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

To clarify, this is going on a x370 Ryzen setup. It has a slot for a NVMe M.2 drive.

Will go EVO, many thanks.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

If you have let an SSD get too full, will trim bring it back to normal performance when you remove some data? Do you need to secure erase the drive?

It should. Some drives can take up to 24 powered on hours before they do their internal cleanup and actually prepare those blocks for future data, so just deleting a whole bunch won't make the drive instantly faster.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dante80 posted:

To clarify, this is going on a x370 Ryzen setup. It has a slot for a NVMe M.2 drive.

Will go EVO, many thanks.

Well, PRO is better than EVO. If you can afford the price premium and if the things that PRO does better than EVO are important to you, then go PRO. However for normal consumers EVO is enough, the price hike for PRO is not worth it.

A comparison chart seems to not be easy to find with google, but i found this (no idea how accurate it is):
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-960-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB/m182182vsm204072

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

Well, PRO is better than EVO. If you can afford the price premium and if the things that PRO does better than EVO are important to you, then go PRO. However for normal consumers EVO is enough, the price hike for PRO is not worth it.

A comparison chart seems to not be easy to find with google, but i found this (no idea how accurate it is):
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-960-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB/m182182vsm204072

Unless you're willing to spend $1400 for the 2TB 960 Pro. Then it's worth it for the pro. /S

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Unless you're willing to spend $1400 for the 2TB 960 Pro. Then it's worth it for the pro. /S
I mean, it's really fast in my machine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Are there any other 2tb M.2 nvme adds besides the 960 pro worth looking at?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trying to order a few (~20) enterprise nvme drives (p3700 in this case) and not having much luck. The suppliers are all blaming nand shortage. This suuuuucks because we have to get them this quarter for budget reasons.

Anyone know of comparables that might be available or are we just hosed?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wasn't someone here adamant that there is no NAND shortage and it was just clickbait

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

WhyteRyce posted:

Wasn't someone here adamant that there is no NAND shortage and it was just clickbait

goons.txt

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I yelled at the suppliers "FAKE NEWS!!" but it didn't help :(

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

Just alternative facts

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Volguus posted:

Better is an odd thing to say when the provided use case is gaming + os drive. Going dramatically overboard with the enterprise drive's endurance and price with marginal gains in performance for home and games users can, in fact, not be "better." If the goal is to find a butter zone of performance, capacity, price and endurance, mind that the EVO is already a premium drive. Great value, but still premium.

The nvme market has exploded with good poo poo in the middle and low ends and has had high-end consumer options for months. There's no need to go full Best Drive in the West out of fear for getting screwed on anything less on a new tech. The 860 PRO as an item marketed to anyone outside 4K video editing or hardcore knowledge workers is a "We're Samsung and we're the best" gimmick. The PRO may be m.2 god, but EVO is King.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I honestly can't tell a difference in my everyday workloads between the ~1 GB/s PCIe drive I got 3 years ago and the ~2-3 GB/s PCIe drive I have now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Seamonster posted:

Are there any other 2tb M.2 nvme adds besides the 960 pro worth looking at?

Not yet, but they're coming 'SoonTM').

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol I just got an SSD off a friend who's more or less new to computers. He told me it was a "1.7 tb ssd hard drive drive ?? I got 2 of them from a coworker i only need one". I thought he just misspoke. I have it in hand now and it is indeed an unopened Sandisk Cloudspeed 1.7 TB Gen II manufactured a month ago. I couldn't even find it for sale online outside of ebay.

My price: $80

:monocle:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I just got an SSD off a friend who's more or less new to computers. He told me it was a "1.7 tb ssd hard drive drive ?? I got 2 of them from a coworker i only need one". I thought he just misspoke. I have it in hand now and it is indeed an unopened Sandisk Cloudspeed 1.7 TB Gen II manufactured a month ago. I couldn't even find it for sale online outside of ebay.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1A0-0058-00022&cm_re=SDLF1CRM-016T-1HA1-_-1A0-0058-00022-_-Product

Yup, that's a pretty substantial 'discount.'

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

1gnoirents posted:

Holy poo poo

Nice

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'll give you $199 for it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah thats the one I kept seeing but its a slightly different model and 1.7 tb and newer. I'm not one to feel queasy about "this was probably stolen down the line somewhere" for poo poo but this is kind of pushing it lol. I even told him look this is worth so much more but thats what he got it for.

This is now the second "i dunno about this man" SSD adventure ive had in like 2 weeks.

edit: I actually cannot find this model practically at all online. Sandisk doesnt appear to list it, though I dig too deep yet. There are like 2 other pictures of the thing on the entire internet one being sold on some out-of-US ebay website (despite the item being located in Salt Lake City) and some other website ive never heard of. The ebay listing was for $1100 too.

The date of manufacture is 1/18/2017 and the PN is SDLF1CRM-017T-1HST and model is SXPLFA

I'm wondering if this is some fake thing but I dont really want to open it either if its not.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 26, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If his friend works in a data center, you might be able to justify it as being a pulled drive, but being THAT new...I can understand your skepticism.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If his friend works in a data center, you might be able to justify it as being a pulled drive, but being THAT new...I can understand your skepticism.

And sealed lol.

But being as there is zero information at all maybe ill just use it

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
It's definitely stolen, come on it's worth almost 10 times what you paid for it. I'm not gonna argue you should care but don't imagine it's not stolen

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dante80 posted:

960 EVO
960 PRO
MP500

600p seems to be the best value. I have the 256GB one and its noticeably faster than the EVO 840 on bootup in my old computer.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got an 850 Evo in hk for better than even the newegg price and 1/3 less than New Zealand. Got other bunch of things that are a steal compared to nz.

Should be even snappier than the 840evo which is going into the Windows part of the machine and that old ssd into the MacBook Pro. Then I will have a spare one I can flog off for some change.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I've got a 1TB 850 EVO coming tomorrow to replace my ancient 500GB platter games/apps drive, what can I use to clone it with as much success as possible and keep registry and installation info intact? I'm told Macrium ought to do it, but it never hurts to have more information.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I've got a 1TB 850 EVO coming tomorrow to replace my ancient 500GB platter games/apps drive, what can I use to clone it with as much success as possible and keep registry and installation info intact? I'm told Macrium ought to do it, but it never hurts to have more information.

Samsung provides a tool, and it's always worked perfectly for me, even with boot drive transfers: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/software/Samsung_Data_Migration_Setup_v30.zip

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Samsung provides a tool, and it's always worked perfectly for me, even with boot drive transfers: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/software/Samsung_Data_Migration_Setup_v30.zip

I checked into that one, and the manual tells me that the source disk must contain the operating system installation. I won't be cloning the OS drive :(

Also how would I go about keeping drive letters intact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should be able to just copy the contents over, unplug the old drive, and use drive manager to reassign the letters.