Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Get Out is the directorial debut of Jordan Peele (of Key and Peele fame), and is, in very short, a horror movie about a black man meeting his white girlfriend's parents, and the worst thing that could result from that (which surprisingly is not "racist dad threatens boyfriend with a shotgun"). It is dope as poo poo. It's currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and 6.5/10 on IMDB (thanks angry nerds!)

Here is a slightly longer review from a CineD user who caught it at Sundance (which I will post without being banned because we are all about free speech here at Cinema Discusso)

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm behind on this thread because I've had to deal with preperations for moving and my general laziness but I'd thought I'd at least do my write up for Get Out now because that one is coming out any day now.

Warning: while I will spoiler the actual spoilers, I will be getting pretty deep into the ending so read that stuff at your own risk.

Get Out
I was really excited for this movie from the first trailer and was loving psyched when it turned out to be the mystery midnight screening I took a chance on. Before I really discuss it's guts (which is hard to do without getting really spoilery} I'll just get the basics out of the way. Peele directs a an interesting and original horror film here. it's clear how much he loves the genre because the nods to other films are numerous and loving without actually being outright references. This is a movie that has many clear influences but doesn't really ape them so much as pull them all together to be it's own weird thing. If it's ripping off anything, it would probably be The Stepford Wives but even then it's a very different beast from that. Performance-wise, it's has a strong cast through and through with special shout outs to Daniel Kaluuya who anchors the film well and Allison Williams who makes some hard to work things work very well.

For a horror movie it is happily very short on jump scares (though they are there) and relies more on the offness of situations and general tension. It does handle both sides equally strongly though. Early on there is a jump scare that is very well done with a long spinning shot that both gives you a good view of all the happenings so you don't feel cheated while still creating ramped up tension. On the other hand, the best and most tense shot in the entire film is a close up on someone's face as they're apologizing. The Comedy side of things is also fairly good (though not as prevalent as you'd expect), mostly focusing on the awkwardness of situations and a character that's in the TSA.

I think that about covers what I can discuss unspoilered so now I'll just get into the rest after I set it up a bit.

I think from the seeing the trailers you kind of suspect that underneath the friendly white family there's really a hidden Deliverance or People Under The Stairs. You'd suspect that this was going to all end up being a social commentary about the friendly face that conservatism puts on and then the real horrible monster of racism that lies beneath. That isn't quite the case. This movie is more about taking smug, "post-racism" liberalism and taking it at face value. Early in the movie you get people talking about how great black people are. The father talks fondly about Jesse Owens beating his father in the Olympics. He talks about how he would have voted for Obama a third time. People do the usual thing of saying how well spoken the main character is and how he really brings an urbaness to his art and so on and so on. For most of the movie you'll think this is just the usual insincere, talking down racist bullshit but it's not. These people really believe everything they're saying about how black people are better and they want that for themselves.

This is a movie that takes bullshit backhanded compliments seriously and takes what that would mean to an extreme conclusion. It's a movie that asks "what if a white person really thought a black person was weirdly articulate?" and concludes that white people would do what they always do and take that for themselves like they deserve it. Like the characters in this movie aren't even really racist in some perverse way. They are so not racist that they themselves want to be black and will happily steal it. Characters you think are acting weird because they are being forced to by white people turn out to be white people trying their best to act black. The weird lawn ornament version of people they becomes is due to that being how the people controlling them think they would act rather than because of what you assume of it just being some weird brainwashing...well I mean it is just not how you think it is.

One of the things I really like about this movie is that it doesn't really have a "holy poo poo" twist but it does have a plot that once you understand that going on, everything else makes just a little more sense and in not the way you expected it to. It's a movie that really fun to watch and then equally fun to later think back upon and realize how all that stuff fit in. I think it's literally coming out Friday as I'm writing this so I'm just gonna say go see it because it rules.

My heart was still rushing when I left the theater after this movie. It's at once a very thrilling, very well made, well shot, well acted, and well plotted horror movie with a good sense of humor, as well as a great example of white supremacy in action. All of the performances in the movie are great, with special shoutouts to Kaluua, Allison Williams and Betty Gabriel, the latter two have the heaviest lifting in the movie and take you exactly where you need to be.

Spoiler talk: The way they deal with the twist in this movie is pretty phenomenal. It's pretty obvious from the moment the word "hypnosis" is said that the family is up to no good and that hypnosis plays a part, to the point that the comic relief character basically spells out what the audience is thinking halfway through the movie. The reveal, then, that the black bodies being auctioned off aren't just hypnotized to doing the bidding of whichever white person has the money, but are literally becoming new housing for old white people jealous of supposed "advantages" that black people get by way of a mother loving brain transplant surgery hits you like a motherfucker. The grandparents inhibiting the bodies of the help makes all of their actions earlier in the movie make perfect sense too, and I think my eyes almost popped out of my head the moment I realized that grandpa was so jealous of Jesse Owens that he stole the most athletic black body he could find to do what he couldn't before.

And also to it's credit, the final sequence was really well made. The audience cheered when Allison Williams got what was coming to her and then immediately got silent again when the guy shot himself. And the flashing lights and her starting to yell help dropped my heart all the way to the ground because I knew exactly what would come if the police showed up. That said, I'm glad they didn't go that route because it sent the audience out cheering instead of completely destroyed. I think it's really smart to make a crowdpleaser instead of a deathly serious movie because the crowd of college students, black and white, that I saw the movie with were really engaged with the movie, and left talking excitedly about it. I think we'll see a great reaction this weekend from crowds and hopefully this movie will make a lot of money, because Jordan Peele deserves a big hit.

edit: also this movie totally should have had an exclamation point in the title, it definitely deserves it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

It's currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and 6.5/10 on IMDB (thanks angry nerds!)

It's at a 6.8/10 on IMDB currently, and the average score on RT is 8.2/10. 274 people on IMDB gave it a 1, and 416 gave it a 10. Give it a little while for people to actually see the movie, I think this one's more or less slipped the alt-right's radar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Or maybe they like it because they want to say see, liberals are the real racists!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Or maybe they like it because they want to say see, liberals are the real racists!

To be fair, aside from the "I'd vote for Obama a third time" line which was probably just a line to make the dad seem like a garden variety vaguely racist white liberal dad instead of a sociopath, there's no real proof that any of the white people in the movie are liberal. I mean, most of them are pretty much full blown "blacks have an extra bone in their body"/"blacks have it better than whites" white supremacists.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Saw it tonight and absolutely loved it. Peele managed to approach racism in a thriller movie in a legitimately disturbing and properly b-horror hammy kind of way. There's not much I can gripe about? It felt subversive in the way that the specific plot had never been done before, but it definitely borrows it's overarching structure from many films before it. In a good way though. This is one of those movies where even if things felt kind of "predictable", it was put together seamlessly. Nothing trope-y felt distracting.

Fun little bit that I noticed. During the scene where Georgina is pouring the family iced tea, Chris' glass is the emptiest. Georgina immediately begins filling up Missy's glass and the rest of the family before getting to Chris. I assumed it was more about the racist family having ingrained into their servants that they take care of them first. But when you find out at the end that Georgina and Walter are the grandparents it took a bit of a different meaning.

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 24, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

To be fair, aside from the "I'd vote for Obama a third time" line which was probably just a line to make the dad seem like a garden variety vaguely racist white liberal dad instead of a sociopath, there's no real proof that any of the white people in the movie are liberal. I mean, most of them are pretty much full blown "blacks have an extra bone in their body"/"blacks have it better than whites" white supremacists.

It's probably over simplifying to say it's just about liberals, but it's definitely focused on them. The dad is the most obvious example with his "I would have voted for Obama" thing and him talking about how it was a good thing Jesse Owens beat his father. The attitude he puts off through the movie is of a guy who it a little too cool with things and is desperately trying to be seen as enlightened. Beating even that though is Stephen Root's character who is so enlightened that he doesn't even care about Kaluuya's skin color. He doesn't see race! (or anything for that matter...because he's blind...get it?) However, with some of the characters, yes, it gets into weird phrenology territory where they're making assumption that Black people are a essentially an exotic alien creature with super powers.

As I said in the bit you quoted, the movie is mainly about the hosed up, insincere things white people say to show that they're not racist. It's a movie about people that say Obama is "articulate", except in this not only are they sincere, they think if they were Obama they would be more articulate to. It's a movie that takes those statements and calls their bluff. Like I was discussing it with my friend and we'd talk about the motivations and he kept getting hung up because the reasons for wanting these black people was so stupid and senseless and every time he realized that was probably the point.

Also, while I'm writing, can I just give a shout out to how good Williams is in the movie, especially how loving creepy she becomes the second she puts her hair up in a ponytail. Betty Gabriel and Keith Stanfield are also great, doing so much their performance simple through their eyes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also, while I'm writing, can I just give a shout out to how good Williams is in the movie, especially how loving creepy she becomes the second she puts her hair up in a ponytail. Betty Gabriel and Keith Stanfield are also great, doing so much their performance simple through their eyes

Williams is really great, and her casting is one of those examples of using what are normally disadvantages for an actor (she's really only capable of playing a very narrow character) and turning it into an advantage, like casting Ben Affleck as the lead in Gone Girl. I have a question for y'all about that: At what point did you realize that Rose was a willing accomplice instead of a tool? When Chris found the box of pictures in her room I rationalized it away as her mom repeatedly hypnotizing her to not remember, and it wasn't until "You know I can't give you the keys babe" that it hit me that she was in on it as well.

Also, the best laugh by a long shot: Rose sitting on her bed with a glass of milk and some Fruit Loops googling "Top NCAA Prospects".

Edit: I just had a brief image in my head of this movie with Taylor Swift as Rose and it would have been glorious.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

GeekyManatee posted:

Fun little bit that I noticed. During the scene where Georgina is pouring the family iced tea, Chris' glass is the emptiest. Georgina immediately begins filling up Missy's glass and the rest of the family before getting to Chris. I assumed it was more about the racist family having ingrained into their servants that they take care of them first. But when you find out at the end that Georgina and Walter are the grandparents it took a bit of a different meaning.

Pretty sure the timeline is that they were still hypnotized at that point and weren't turned into the grandparents until sometime between Chris discovering the truth and his escape.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Pretty sure the timeline is that they were still hypnotized at that point and weren't turned into the grandparents until sometime between Chris discovering the truth and his escape.

No, they're the grandparents every time we see them in the movie. That's why the gardener is running around and Georgina spends so much time just admiring hey beauty in a mirror

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the best aspect of the "twist" or whatever you wanna call it is that zombie-like behavior wasn't the result of brainwashing or lobotomy but instead the normal-rear end mannerisms of old white assholes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i saw it in a small afternoon showing so not a lot of people but man everyone went wild when the door opens and says "airport" on the side. i had to give a little fist pump myself that bit was so good. one guy was yelling YEAH YEAH. it ruled.

R. Guyovich posted:

the best aspect of the "twist" or whatever you wanna call it is that zombie-like behavior wasn't the result of brainwashing or lobotomy but instead the normal-rear end mannerisms of old white assholes

yeah i think most people will go in thinking it's about brainwashing or lobotomy but it's like the short story the extra by greg egan. the review quoted in the op is wrong in that it actually is a "holy poo poo" twist.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 25, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

This actually makes me really want to go back and watch the movie again, just to watch with the whole situation in mind.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can people who have seen this tell me if it's scary, and, assuming it is, what sort of scary it is? Movies with creepy jump scares and stuff gently caress me up so bad that I can't even bother watching them, even if they have almost zero scares, so long as the tension is high enough (for example, I made it 45 minutes into Black Swan and then had to stop watching) but other sorts of horror don't mess with me at all (Cabin in the Woods, Alien, Slither, etc. are fine despite ostensibly being horror movies). I want to watch this movie but not if it will destroy me for the rest of my life. When I "watched' The Ring back when I was much younger (in theaters) I spend 99% of the time (literally) with my eyes closed and I was still freaked the gently caress out for a week. So, help a buddy out? Can I watch it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ It's not jump scarey. It's freaky.

Really really liked the movie. My only negative thought, and it's more of surprise than disappointment, is that I felt I was kinda expecting another twist. As the OP mentions, I expected the cop at the end to be In On The Whole Thing From The Get Go, but I also thought there might be other wrinkles with (third act stuff) certain people being either hypnotized this whole time (Rose specifically, the family in general), or secretly not into the plan (Rose's brother). Or poo poo, for a little bit I thought Stephen Root would be a Good Old Guy and not an Evil Racist Old Guy. In the end you kinda knew what was going down from the beginning. Nothing to knock the film for, though.

Two actors really stood out to me. Allison Williams as Rose, specifically her feeling like an entirely different character after the reveal, which might be why I was expecting a twist that she was either hypnotized during their relationship or hypnotized after the reveal and ponytail application, and Betty Gabriel playing one of the hired help, because holy poo poo did she nail playing one character while another character is struggling to escape in the same headspace.

e: Like, how hosed up is it to realize every dude (and some women) Rose fucks, she sees on the regular when she goes home. hosed. Up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are a couple of jump scares but it's closer to something like Rosemary's Baby where it's this steady, rising paranoia.

Brilliant movie. Honestly one of the best horror flicks I've seen in a while, Jordan Peele has a good grasp on how to pace things, how to compose shots, rely on his actors, etc. And its handling of institutional racism is very sharp- it doesn't get at all bogged down by having to explain anything to the audience.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

MisterBibs posted:

^ It's not jump scarey. It's freaky.

Really really liked the movie. My only negative thought, and it's more of surprise than disappointment, is that I felt I was kinda expecting another twist. As the OP mentions, I expected the cop at the end to be In On The Whole Thing From The Get Go, but I also thought there might be other wrinkles with (third act stuff) certain people being either hypnotized this whole time (Rose specifically, the family in general), or secretly not into the plan (Rose's brother). Or poo poo, for a little bit I thought Stephen Root would be a Good Old Guy and not an Evil Racist Old Guy. In the end you kinda knew what was going down from the beginning. Nothing to knock the film for, though.

I dunno, for me this worked, because the movie sets you up to look for those things, so it's never totally clear what's going on with certain characters until the third act. I liked the subtle red herring of Jeremy sitting off by himself and looking sullen during the auction, so you think maybe his scene earlier was a red herring and he's not actually comfortable with the whole thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I dunno, for me this worked, because the movie sets you up to look for those things, so it's never totally clear what's going on with certain characters until the third act. I liked the subtle red herring of Jeremy sitting off by himself and looking sullen during the auction, so you think maybe his scene earlier was a red herring and he's not actually comfortable with the whole thing.

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that was supposed to be an auction. I guess I'm the idiot! :downs:

Great movie all around, I gotta say. It helped that the audience I saw it with was really into it-by the end, pretty much everyone was cheering and applauding Chris with each family member he took down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I like Catherine Keener and I've never been more thrilled to see her die.

I also thought it was a nice touch and voting rights dig that he didn't have a driver's license, just a "state ID." At first it's merely an issue of 'he lives in the city and doesn't need one,' but ultimately it ends up loving him over, because he doesn't have the natural inclination to *steal* keys and GTFO because hey, driving without a license while black is a really bad ideaTM.

Also, I took the Obama comments not as a "we're liberals" thing as him representing their Holy Grail of 'gets.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 25, 2017

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I like Catherine Keener and I've never been more thrilled to see her die.

I also thought it was a nice touch and voting rights dig that he didn't have a driver's license, just a "state ID." At first it's merely an issue of 'he lives in the city and doesn't need one,' but ultimately it ends up loving him over, because he doesn't have the natural inclination to *steal* keys and GTFO because hey, driving without a license while black is a really bad ideaTM.

Also, I took the Obama comments not as a "we're liberals" thing as him representing their Holy Grail of 'gets.'

I also realized that this is probably why Rose didn't want Chris to show his ID to the cop. If Chris were to go missing, there'd be something traceable for when he goes missing.

DC Murderverse posted:

Williams is really great, and her casting is one of those examples of using what are normally disadvantages for an actor (she's really only capable of playing a very narrow character) and turning it into an advantage, like casting Ben Affleck as the lead in Gone Girl. I have a question for y'all about that: At what point did you realize that Rose was a willing accomplice instead of a tool? When Chris found the box of pictures in her room I rationalized it away as her mom repeatedly hypnotizing her to not remember, and it wasn't until "You know I can't give you the keys babe" that it hit me that she was in on it as well.

I rationalized it the same way you did and had the exact same reaction until they literally spelled it out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

At what point did you realize that Rose was a willing accomplice instead of a tool?

For me, it was when she got huffy over Chris wanting to leave after a day of racist white people, by the lake, as the sun was going down. For me, that scene was my own personal test-of-character determinant. If she had decided that, sure, let's go right now, you're obviously uncomfortable, it'd be one thing. But no, she literally turns his back on him and tries to make him feel bad for wanting to leave, and it was a total a-ha moment and I spent the scenes up to what you spoiler-blocked waiting for it.

Like I said, I was expecting that there'd be a she-was-a-tool twist, because holy poo poo did that putting-her-hair-in-a-ponytail change really felt like an entire different character was on screen. All the previous warmth the character had was just... gone, immediately, and I think the actress pulled that off really well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I was just looking through the trailer. Holy poo poo, that gives away way too much of the movie. Also a few scenes are there that are not in the movie.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it goes further than that. Their son is a total creep MMA psycho with crazy eyes and wears a metal helmet. So he can't make any friends or girlfriends to bring home to the family. So they have to rely on their daughter who is both pretty and socially functional. But the downside is that she likes black guys. So it's like an ultra "Guess who's coming to dinner" only for slavery. Like the family has got some dyed in the wool deep racism because their family was denied Olympic greatness by a black guy. And then when their daughter was sent out to get fresh meat she brings home a black guy. So like the old guy says, black is "in" this season. And the thing is, it turns out that they end up liking black guys, like the grandma checking herself out all the time and the meat market drooling by all of the old white women who were choosing their husband's body.

So you can imagine that after the second or third black guy the dad had to craft a liberal persona for himself because it turns out the customer base went black and never went back.

Edit: Also, hell of a movie. Fun, funny, wove racial themes nicely, and some uniquely creepy visuals. Peele is not a bad director. Did he direct any of the short movie segments in the show?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So what was the reasoning behind Rose actually grinning while she was being choked to death at the end, and the corresponding almost disappointment when he stopped? It doesn't really line up with the lights from the police car.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

So what was the reasoning behind Rose actually grinning while she was being choked to death at the end, and the corresponding almost disappointment when he stopped? It doesn't really line up with the lights from the police car.

My guess? He was finally acting 'stereotypically black' and that amused her somehow, as well as knowing that no matter what he did, it was going to ruin his life anyway since he was a black guy covered in blood in a *super*-white area - it also explains the extra poo poo-eating smirk she gets once she notices the colored strobes from the cruiser.

I also think she was doing whatever she could to mindfuck him too, and couldn't help but indulge in one last sociopathic 'poke' at him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 25, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ape Agitator posted:

I think it goes further than that. Their son is a total creep MMA psycho with crazy eyes and wears a metal helmet. So he can't make any friends or girlfriends to bring home to the family. So they have to rely on their daughter who is both pretty and socially functional. But the downside is that she likes black guys. So it's like an ultra "Guess who's coming to dinner" only for slavery. Like the family has got some dyed in the wool deep racism because their family was denied Olympic greatness by a black guy. And then when their daughter was sent out to get fresh meat she brings home a black guy. So like the old guy says, black is "in" this season. And the thing is, it turns out that they end up liking black guys, like the grandma checking herself out all the time and the meat market drooling by all of the old white women who were choosing their husband's body.

So you can imagine that after the second or third black guy the dad had to craft a liberal persona for himself because it turns out the customer base went black and never went back.

Edit: Also, hell of a movie. Fun, funny, wove racial themes nicely, and some uniquely creepy visuals. Peele is not a bad director. Did he direct any of the short movie segments in the show?

I think you have this backwards. The plan has always been "kidnap black people and put old white people in their bodies" because these people have some incredibly wrong and terrible views on black people. They believe that black people are inherently physically superior to white people, and mentally inferior, so it can almost be seen as them "doing a favor" to the world by "fixing" the black people. I'm sure Rose is fine with dating black people, but I don't think this whole enterprise was born from her desire, especially considering that the video that Chris is shown while he's tied up was made when Rose was a kid. So now that she's an adult, she can help out with the family business, and because she's capable of acting like a normal human being (unlike her brother, who has to resort to straight up bashing and stuffing black guys in a car trunk), she can do so in a way that is much more subtle and less likely to get them checked out by the police.

This operation has always been about black people, and it makes sense when you think about it through their incredibly distorted lens. The grandfather believes that he lost to Jesse Owens because black people have a genetic advantage athletically, and there are plenty of negative stereotypes about the bodies of black people (remember the creepy old lady who asked about Chris' junk?), and it certainly helps that "adult black man goes missing" is not something that the police are going to put a whole lot of time and effort into investigating (which the movie so helpfully points out).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that was supposed to be an auction. I guess I'm the idiot! :downs:

dude how

Shadowhand00 posted:

I was just looking through the trailer. Holy poo poo, that gives away way too much of the movie.

it really doesn't.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It was also great how all the lobotomized people always wore hats, wigs, etc to hide the gnarly scars

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Riptor posted:

It was also great how all the lobotomized people always wore hats, wigs, etc to hide the gnarly scars

The housekeeper constantly readjusting her hair in mirrors was the first thing that made me think maybe there's something hosed up with their heads. Literally speaking.

Edit: That scene midway through the film where Chris heads upstairs to check his phone and he peaks into a room and spy's the housekeeper in another room doing...something, could anyone make out what it was? Happened to fast for me to make out.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

The housekeeper constantly readjusting her hair in mirrors was the first thing that made me think maybe there's something hosed up with their heads. Literally speaking.

Edit: That scene midway through the film where Chris heads upstairs to check his phone and he peaks into a room and spy's the housekeeper in another room doing...something, could anyone make out what it was? Happened to fast for me to make out.

I think she was adjusting her wig?

Loved it. A sense of paranoia and dread throughout, some of the dialogue made me cringe in a "people really are like that" kind of way, and speaking as a moderate Republican, I never felt like the movie was lecturing me while making its point. Peele did a drat good job to show, not tell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

key and peele was the best show about race by far (and one of the funniest shows ever) so i wasn't surprised peele knocked it out of the park here.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
White People are the worst lol

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I thought it was amazing all around. Fantastic cast, great direction, super tense. I loved the friendship and chemistry Chris and Rod had throughout the film despite most of their scenes together being on the phone. It was stellar writing. My favorite part was probably the positive ending, totally subverting my expectations of a soul crushing Night of the Living Dead-esque final scene.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

I think you have this backwards. The plan has always been "kidnap black people and put old white people in their bodies" because these people have some incredibly wrong and terrible views on black people. They believe that black people are inherently physically superior to white people, and mentally inferior, so it can almost be seen as them "doing a favor" to the world by "fixing" the black people. I'm sure Rose is fine with dating black people, but I don't think this whole enterprise was born from her desire, especially considering that the video that Chris is shown while he's tied up was made when Rose was a kid. So now that she's an adult, she can help out with the family business, and because she's capable of acting like a normal human being (unlike her brother, who has to resort to straight up bashing and stuffing black guys in a car trunk), she can do so in a way that is much more subtle and less likely to get them checked out by the police.

This operation has always been about black people, and it makes sense when you think about it through their incredibly distorted lens. The grandfather believes that he lost to Jesse Owens because black people have a genetic advantage athletically, and there are plenty of negative stereotypes about the bodies of black people (remember the creepy old lady who asked about Chris' junk?), and it certainly helps that "adult black man goes missing" is not something that the police are going to put a whole lot of time and effort into investigating (which the movie so helpfully points out).

Quite possibly. Just I found the Jesse Owen chat to have a strange undercurrent that didn't seem properly written or followed through with at the time but felt perfect with that other possibility.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's at a 6.8/10 on IMDB currently, and the average score on RT is 8.2/10. 274 people on IMDB gave it a 1, and 416 gave it a 10. Give it a little while for people to actually see the movie, I think this one's more or less slipped the alt-right's radar.

There seems to already be a lot of people who think this movie is anti-white propaganda made by Jews mind-controlling Peele.

God, I hate this world.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I loved it. Thinking back through all the scenes after coming home and figuring out that almost every little thing makes complete sense is quite a trick.

However, who is opening the closet door in Rose's room? My theory would be the grandmom, because while putting tea she had a moment and needed to be rehypnotized. But did she also unplug the phone, or was she just a cover for Rose doing it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

There seems to already be a lot of people who think this movie is anti-white propaganda made by Jews mind-controlling Peele.

Well, poo poo, isn't that *obvious*? Stuff like this just *never gets made* unless there's chemtrail chemicals piped into the theater while you watch it formulated by shell companies controlled by George Soros to chemically condition black people to join his new Black Panther Commandos who are going to kill all Republicans before the 2018 midterms. It even has hypnosis and brainwashing as PART OF THE PLOT. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE! :tinfoil:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the real though, this movie looks to be just as good as Keanu in totally different ways so I'm real happy that Key & Peele are shaping up to be the next Great Comedians Of Our Time

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, I forgot to mention it but special shout out to the hypnotism scene which was just amazingly well put together. it just slowly built up so well and that rhythmic clanking of the teacup was unnerving as hell

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Really good movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

go get him grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah this was fantastic. The whole thing was such a love letter to the horror genre without making specific shoutouts that I can't help but wonder just how many parallels were intentional. For example, the end sequence felt like a condensed You're Next, down to ending with a white girl getting shot and a cop showing up, but not in the way you'd expect. Except that the laugh in You're Next the joke is that the girl gets shot for killing someone in cold blood despite being 1) the protagonist and 2) white, while in this the surprise is that the black man covered in blood and surrounded by bodies doesn't get killed when an "authority figure" shows up. Now, what was absolutely on purpose is that the TSA guy is Dick Hallorann from The Shining, except that he's right about everything not because he's a magical negro, but because he plain doesn't trust white people. That's why he lives.

DC Murderverse posted:

Also, the best laugh by a long shot: Rose sitting on her bed with a glass of milk and some Fruit Loops googling "Top NCAA Prospects".

What really brings that together is that she's drinking out of a black straw.

• Locked thread