Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Party Plane Jones posted:

Mormons being the ones to bankroll a generation ship is probably the most accurate prediction of any future ideas for the Church. They're just a convenience plotwise (I don't even think there are any named Mormons in the books) for a group with that kind of cash.

That's really what struck me to be perfectly honest. That and the fact that if there is anyone proselytizing in the asteroid belt, it would be the LDS church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Solkanar512 posted:

That's really what struck me to be perfectly honest. That and the fact that if there is anyone proselytizing in the asteroid belt, it would be the LDS church.

Utah 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The entire existence of the Mormon church is pretty much "We don't like you, go away" and they say "Ok, we'll go off to this wasteland."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, they said on the podcast that going back to the RPG they wanted a "generation ship" as part of the story, and at the same time they noticed just how many buildings the Mormons had bought up in Salt Lake City. So Mormons worked both for the idea and for the wealth needed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, they said on the podcast that going back to the RPG they wanted a "generation ship" as part of the story, and at the same time they noticed just how many buildings the Mormons had bought up in Salt Lake City. So Mormons worked both for the idea and for the wealth needed.

What podcast is this, now?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Churn. They talk to the two guys who wrote the books every (?) ep and the actors playing Naomi, Holden and Amos have each been on too.
http://www.blastr.com/tags/churn

It's all positivity because it's official to the point of being promotional (though not quite as sickeningly gushing and backpatty as Vince Gilligan's podcasts!), and it's not super in-depth (Holden's abs am i right hahahaha) but there's some interesting tidbits especially from the writers, and given the relative drought of discussion about the show online, I'm enjoying it.

They also pointed out neat foreshadowing like the Protomolecule-Julie eerily reflecting things from Miller's brain at the end, like he apparently told Naomi at the start of season 2 that he dreamt of Julie saying "you belong with me"...

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 24, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Sweet, it's on iTunes I'll have to check it out.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I like that the asteroid is named after exotic desire and basically what has happened to it is analogous to human reproduction. Proto molecule is the sperm and the space station is the egg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Miller the first person to bang an asteroid?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

Is Miller the first person to bang an asteroid?

Do Atari game cartridges count? Because then no.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I like that the asteroid is named after exotic desire and basically what has happened to it is analogous to human reproduction. Proto molecule is the sperm and the space station is the egg

Nope you got it wrong. Eros is the sperm, Venus is the egg

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So was that music the kid was listening to produced by Eros?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

gohmak posted:

Nope you got it wrong. Eros is the sperm, Venus is the egg

No, Eros is the place where the DNA of two lifeforms mixed. Venus would be the environment it grows in or whatever

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No, Eros is the place where the DNA of two lifeforms mixed. Venus would be the environment it grows in or whatever

Dude the imagery is there for you to see.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

gohmak posted:

Dude the imagery is there for you to see.

Neither analogy is perfect. Both aren't bad. Eros had a kind of womb-like gestation going on, with a male entering with a bomb to connect with a female. Venus did get splooged on.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Armilla posted:

Ready to enjoy the new episode like the irredeemable nerd that I am:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gfarrell80 posted:

Neither analogy is perfect. Both aren't bad. Eros had a kind of womb-like gestation going on, with a male entering with a bomb to connect with a female. Venus did get splooged on.

Technically the metaphor for sex and fertalization occured when Julie came in contact with the proto-molecule. Mitosis is under way long before Miller arrives with the bomb. What he really does is guides the egg to the Goddess of love and beauty instead of Earth for implantation. The imagery of the crash is still a sperm meeting an egg.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 24, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goons, the least qualified people on the planet, argue the minutiae of fertilization ITT.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Space Crabs posted:

Goons, the least qualified people on the planet, argue the minutiae of fertilization ITT.

Y'don't undastan' nuteen'. Me crush rear end to dust!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Space Crabs posted:

If you have enough sex, you’ll learn the minutiae naturally? :confused:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

gohmak posted:

This still should be the new thread title.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

If you have enough sex, you’ll learn the minutiae naturally? :confused:

:thejoke:

gohmak posted:

Greatest moment in television history.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The only thing that niggled at me and it's a minor point and all but relevant - didn't Miller only have like 12 minutes of 02 left after the rip after the ship sprayed metal all over them? And then with the communication delays they display prominently he was well over an hour breathing his own C02.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Justin Credible posted:

The only thing that niggled at me and it's a minor point and all but relevant - didn't Miller only have like 12 minutes of 02 left after the rip after the ship sprayed metal all over them? And then with the communication delays they display prominently he was well over an hour breathing his own C02.

Book spoilers that are actually details that won't matter to you: in the books, he spends hours wandering around Eros, refills his oxygen at least once, and then only removes his mask because he's close to finding Julie and simply doesn't have any air left. Obviously the show has him take off his mask for a more dramatic reason.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I think book Miller took his mask off for the same reason, actually.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

One thing that niggled me was the bomb 60 second noise. If he's in a vac suit and there is a vacuum around, how is he hearing a noise the bomb is making? Did the comm in his suit have a wifi connection to the bomb detonator?

Doesn't really matter but it is one of those tiny details they could have nailed somehow without overtly explaining it. It seemed like he was reacting to the bomb, not a noise over his headset.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
There's air in Eros.

E: And proximity radio broadcast would make sense for vacuum rated equipment when he was outside.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

gfarrell80 posted:

One thing that niggled me was the bomb 60 second noise. If he's in a vac suit and there is a vacuum around, how is he hearing a noise the bomb is making? Did the comm in his suit have a wifi connection to the bomb detonator?

Doesn't really matter but it is one of those tiny details they could have nailed somehow without overtly explaining it. It seemed like he was reacting to the bomb, not a noise over his headset.

If I designed a nuke with a timer, I'd have it broadcast on every possible method I could manage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He could probably hear it through conduction via his feet.

Seems like a sensible feature to have on your Special Atomic Demolition Munitions.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
"We're already $20 million space bux over budget on this countdown nuke, no way I let you spend another 500 space bux on a radio broadcast of its status."

One - Mars Congressional Republic

Two - Mars Congressional Republic

Three...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"We're already $20 million space bux over budget on this countdown nuke, no way I let you spend another 500 space bux on a radio broadcast of its status."

You all laughed at "The Internet of Bombs" when I pitched it back in the design phase. Well now we've Impregnated Venus!

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

gohmak posted:

Technically the metaphor for sex and fertalization occured when Julie came in contact with the proto-molecule. Mitosis is under way long before Miller arrives with the bomb. What he really does is guides the egg to the Goddess of love and beauty instead of Earth for implantation. The imagery of the crash is still a sperm meeting an egg.

Nah, it can occur at many points. Anytime one thing enters another. When Eros first entered he solar system you could say that is 'sex'. I kinda assumed the initial science team on Eros that got incinerated were also exposed to the proto molecule, so maybe they were the first ones to experience the sex metaphor?

No, Miller entering Eros is a perfectly good sex metaphor too. In a way he planted a seed in Julie's revived proto-construct. And even made an emotional connection and had a sense of togetherness. That's the best kind of sex. Let's not get distracted by a simple visual of a rock hitting a planet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
in universe the tech is big on internet-of-things, apparently the hand terminals have very little processing power, and they instead tap into the local network cloud

not sure that's the greatest idea, you wanna keep some redundancy, when the network goes down everything turns into a brick

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

IXCIX 99
In the stormy Aegean, the genital member is
seen to be received in the lap of Tethys, to drift
across the waves, wrapped in white foam, be-
neath the various turnings of the planets; and
within, both with lovely and happy gestures, a
young woman with nonhuman countenance, is
carried on a conch shell, wafted to shore by
playful zephyrs; and it seems that heaven re-
joices in her birth.

C 100
You would call the foam real, the sea real, real
the conch shell and real the blowing wind; you
would see the lightning in the goddess's eyes,
the sky and the elements laughing about her; the
Hours treading the beach in white garments, the
breeze curling their loosened and flowing hair;
their faces not one, not different, as befits sisters.

CI 101
You could swear that the goddess had emerged
from the waves, pressing her hair with her right
hand, covering with the other her sweet mound
of flesh; and where the strand was imprinted by
her sacred and divine step, it had clothed itself
in flowers and grass; then with happy, more than
mortal features, she was received in the bosom
of the three nymphs and cloaked in a starry gar-
ment.

CII 102
With both hands one nymph holds above the
spray-wet tresses a garland, burning with gold
and oriental gems, another adjusts pearls in her
ears; the third, intent upon those beautiful
breasts and white shoulders, appears to strew
round them the rich necklaces with which they
three girded their own necks when they used to
dance in a ring in heaven.

CIII 103
Thence they seem to be raised toward heav-
enly spheres, seated upon a silver cloud: in the
hard stone you would seem to see the air trem-
bling and all of heaven contented; every god
takes pleasure in her beauty and desires her hap-
py bed: each face seems to marvel, with raised
eyebrows and wrinkled forehead.

CIV 104
Finally the divine artisan formed his self-portrait,
happy with such a sweet prize, still bristly and
scabrous from his furnace, as if forgetting every
labor for her, joining his lips with desire to hers,
as if his soul burned completely with love: and
there seems to be a much greater fire kindled
within him than the one that he had left in
Mongibello.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

gfarrell80 posted:

Let's not get distracted by a simple visual of a rock hitting a planet.

Yo momma so fat banging her was like the protomolecule its rock off on Venus.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yo momma bones so brittle me crush her rear end to dust!

Also it's obvious that the launching of the missiles was the metaphor for birth control, the NauVoo was your buddy frank that likes to cockblock you all the time, and Naomi and Holden having sex was a metaphor for capitalism.

Crushing rear end to dust is an allegory for imperialism.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Phobophilia posted:

not sure that's the greatest idea, you wanna keep some redundancy, when the network goes down everything turns into a brick

This is something that the authorities might see as a feature. It's already typical for governments to shut down the internet during riots/uprisings/revolutions.

It does raise the question of how Miller could keep using his terminal after leaving Ceres.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kassad posted:

It does raise the question of how Miller could keep using his terminal after leaving Ceres.

By connecting to each new location's network. His terminal isn't permanently tied to Ceres or anything. What exactly the terminal has access to varies with location and circumstances, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I liked this episode, it was good.

This thread is turning into Guantanamo for metaphors though.

• Locked thread