Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This supercomputer in X-files keeps yelling out the operations it's doing to an empty room and I can't deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This supercomputer in X-files keeps yelling out the operations it's doing to an empty room and I can't deal.

https://twitter.com/thexfilescenes/status/833135213777735680

https://twitter.com/themiltron/status/738618427909111808

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

IRQ posted:

Fixed.

Except Game of Thrones, it's the tv watchers that make that trash.

Nowadays,

The Bad Thread >>>> The normal TVIV thread > The TVIV spoiler thread

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

What do you guys think of Legion? I watched about 45 minutes of ep1 and don't think it's for me but maybe if it changes after that ??

I struggled a bit with the pilot but by the end got really into it and got sucked in hard by the second and third episodes. So I'd say finish the pilot at least and if some of the late episode reveals don't get your interest, you can bail. But the second episode starts getting into David's mental state and past in a really compelling way that isn't there in the first episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I'd forgotten how the early seasons had episodes based on all these really weird conspiracy website ideas of what an alien can be or do. Weird shadows that phase through walls, ghosts that possess people, little grey men, they're all aliens, so they're all in the show. And the show just kinda takes it as read that you're at least passingly familiar with this weird poo poo, so there isn't that scene of someone reading an old book to explain what the gently caress this thing is or why it's doing what it's doing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Currently at my parents' house as I'm watching their dogs over the weekend. They're still here and we're watching TV and it is driving me insane how their big HD TV is set up with all the terrible motion smoothing settings on. Going to wait until they leave tomorrow and fix it. We'll see if they ever notice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Why has the MacGyver reboot not been canceled?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Because my elderly mother watches like every and any procedural cop/spy show on network television, no questions asked?

Except Quantico. She thought that was too stupid and bailed. Which almost made me curious to watch Quantico.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Fixed.

Except Game of Thrones, it's the tv watchers that make that trash.

Aphrodite posted:

It's both.

It's the show that makes the threads trash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It actually got extended for more episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Because Tristan Mays and her hair belong on TV, once a week.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

STAC Goat posted:

Because my elderly mother watches like every and any procedural cop/spy show on network television, no questions asked?

Does she watch Lucifer? I like it, but I'd think the name would throw off a lot of faithful procedural-lovers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think so. Like, I don't know everything she watches, just what I see on her DVR or she mentions. But I'm pretty sure that one's in there.

Mostly it seems like she watches all these easily digestible procedurals that entertain her for an hour and then its all kind of discarded. I assume that's the market.

And she's not one of those FCC calling folks, so watching the Devil wouldn't bother her.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Currently at my parents' house as I'm watching their dogs over the weekend. They're still here and we're watching TV and it is driving me insane how their big HD TV is set up with all the terrible motion smoothing settings on. Going to wait until they leave tomorrow and fix it. We'll see if they ever notice.
Depends on how old they are. My dad is in his late 60s and can't tell the difference between a football game in HD and the same one in standard definition. It was even more egregious when he was watching hockey in SD, a sport that owes being watchable on TV to the advent of HD TV.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Talk me out of buying season 2 of The Expanse.

I'm trying to watch Dark Matter to get my fix, and it's not working. Because fuckin lol.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
season 2 of dark matter was pretty good (overall much better than season 1). season 2 of the expanse has been incredible so far. buy it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 is great so far. The recent episode feels like a season finale and it's not even halfway through yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 2 is great so far. The recent episode feels like a season finale and it's not even halfway through yet.

That's because the most recent episode was the end of the first novel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

karrethuun posted:

season 2 of dark matter was pretty good (overall much better than season 1). season 2 of the expanse has been incredible so far. buy it.

Yeah. 30 dollars is just a bit steep for a ~10(?) episode season. I mean yeah, I'm probably gonna buy it like 5 minutes form now and then go watch at least 2 episodes.

But I have to convince myself I'm not just frivolously spending money.

Plus not buying it would make it last longer. I binged the entire first season in the last 24 hours. oops.

edit: I bought it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtdrb08UBk

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

fair, but it was only showtime for part of its existence.

'90s Outer Limits was also Showtime iirc, although it was syndicated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to ammend my Showtime opinion to be "post 2000 Showtime sucks".

The Expanse is really good, but the sound mixing is driving me nuts. Everyone whispers all the time and I have to crank the volume to hear all the dialogue, while the music and other sounds are loud as gently caress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^ sound issues are practically Siffy's trademark, at least lately the commercials aren't 700 times louder than the show like they were 10 years ago.

whowhatwhere posted:

It's the show that makes the threads trash.

I think the show sucks balls too, but I am constantly shouted down for it.

The tower of joy and the loving star wars prequels level poo poo fight choreography, dancing around with dual light sabersswords for no drat reason, jesus tapdancing christ it was so bad.

And that's to say nothing of the actual plot now. :suicide:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Battlestar Galactica had pretty good sound, compared to this. Just finished s2e2, dope as gently caress.

I'm really loving this trend of novels being adapted into shows. There's something really different about the way that characters are developed in novels versus characters written for shows. I'm probably gonna make a big effortpost about it this weekend.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I cannot understand half the things they say while wearing space suits. They really need to caption those parts.

Siffy is also making an adaptation of the Hyperion series and it's being produced by Bradley Cooper. Sounds promising.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I need to read that. It's been one of those "I should really read that" things for a decade now...

And I need to finish whatever that book about a ship ai trapped in a humanoid android body is. I think it's a trilogy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously you guys.... Patriot. You'll thank me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Seriously you guys.... Patriot. You'll thank me

Sell me on it. I don't know anything about it except brief praise here and the thumbnail art on amazon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

I cannot understand half the things they say while wearing space suits. They really need to caption those parts.

Siffy is also making an adaptation of the Hyperion series and it's being produced by Bradley Cooper. Sounds promising.

hopefully it's just the first two books. I have heard...not great things about Endymion. also hopefully it's limited run. I don't see how there's that much adaptation wiggle room, or much possibility of expansion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Words from Sepinwall on Patriot. It does sound interesting: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/patriot-amazon-review/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's not a funny ha ha show, but it's very funny. It's beautifully shot, the cast is great and it's very clever. But the main guy is just a gem.

I've watched the first 4 so far, went in totally cold.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 25, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've only seen the first two episodes of Patriot, but it's real good. The main character is a fantastic rear end in a top hat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Except Quantico. She thought that was too stupid and bailed. Which almost made me curious to watch Quantico.
It's bc she's racist and thinks Priyanka Chopra is a terrorist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My mom is not racist and she doesn't think that. Thanks for the baseless sweeping generalized attack. You're always such a class act.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do old people like procedural cop shows?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

My mom is not racist and she doesn't think that. Thanks for the baseless sweeping generalized attack. You're always such a class act.

Hahaha why would you take that post so seriously?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rocksicles posted:

Why do old people like procedural cop shows?

Old people are dumb

e: Sir Patrick Stewart only recently discovered that he wasn't circumcised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utAagjD8SE

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 25, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some awesome science in Hawaii 5-0 yesterday again. Apparently a car battery strapped to the chest is a sufficient lead shield to fondle with uranium rods, and the lead cylinder is mostly transparent.

Also, when the counter of the remaining conventional explosive charge has still slightly more than 30 seconds on it, it's apparently safer to drive 10 seconds, then flip the car and hide behind the engine block, than keep driving the whole time. I guess it's safer to risk getting the car rolled onto you than exploiting the inverse square law.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

American Gods finally has a air date, April 30th.

Ian McShane will make this watchable but the book is such a hunk of overated poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Party Down a good show?

• Locked thread