Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I would enjoy trying to play a serious story-heavy game co-op, but Dying Light was pitched just right for this. It was a throwaway story that was fun to rip on, wondering if we were going to run into an NPC for the Nth time that tries to hide they were bitten and then we have to kill them, and all the goofy cutscenes that were clearly designed for a single character and make no sense when some other guy is around. Also tag team parkour combat and racing around the countryside in electrified buggies together was rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's mostly that I'm super OCD about checking every nook and cranny (and I liked Dying Lights world design with tons of interior stuff) and I always felt like I was being rushed in co-op

I actually never played the expansion with the buggy I need to go pick that game back up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I was pretty impressed with the Until Dawn wiki. They have a pretty comprehensive guide to character relationships, butterfly effects, etc:

http://until-dawn.wikia.com/wiki/Until_Dawn_Wiki

If you want something less detailed, here's the basics as far as plot armor goes:

Sam: Invincible until the final segment of the game in the lodge.
Mike: Invincible until the final segment of the game in the lodge.
Josh: Invincible until the final chapter. He will always die unless you find Hannah's diary while playing as Sam.
Chris: Can die while running from wendigos. If you "shot" Ashley instead of him, she will let him die. If you die as Ashley in the mines, he dies.
Ashley: Will die if you open the hatch in the mines.
Matt: Dies if you provoke the deer and fail the QTEs. Dies in the mines unless you give him the flare gun, or jump off the structure instead of waiting for Emily. Can be killed by the Wendigo.
Emily: Can be killed running from Wendigo. Can be shot by Mike.
Jessica: Dies if you fail too many QTEs as Mike chasing her, or if you take too many of the safe paths to get to her. If she survives, she will die in the mines if she tries to run from the Wendigo instead of hiding. If Matt survives to meet her, if he runs ahead of her instead of hiding with her, she will die.

In addition: In the final segment of the game, the rest of the survivors (besides Matt, Jessica, and Josh) have to make it out of the lodge while Mike and Sam trigger the explosion. If Sam runs to the switch instead of waiting, she can trigger the explosion early to save herself, but everyone in the lodge will die. If Sam is killed and nobody is left alive in the lodge, Mike will automatically trigger the switch and blow himself up. Matt, Jessica, and Josh are affected by the scenario.

So, I'd say it's definitely more open ended than something like a Telltale game, but there are still some pretty big rails in place to keep the basic story intact. Some characters are in constant danger, some are almost always safe. It's definitely worth playing around with to get the collectibles and the good ending if you're a fan. Hopefully they make a real sequel!

That's cool. I suspected early on that Sam and Mike would have to stay safe at least until the very ending to make some of the plot triggers work, as they seemed to be driving a lot of action in the story.

It figures that I would bungle up so badly and kill off half the cast, but hey, that just makes for a more entertaining horror movie doesn't it! Maybe I'll do a run where I keep everybody alive just for funsies.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The flare gun is so goddamn stupid. I saw a screenshot that seemed to indicate they'd patched it to make it an actual choice, but when I played, who got the flare gun was decided by a totally unrelated decision earlier on (having Matt agree or disagree with Emily about whether they should head to the radio tower).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that was dumb, fortunately you can still have him survive by immediately abandoning his girlfriend to almost certain death. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instant Grat posted:

The flare gun is so goddamn stupid. I saw a screenshot that seemed to indicate they'd patched it to make it an actual choice, but when I played, who got the flare gun was decided by a totally unrelated decision earlier on (having Matt agree or disagree with Emily about whether they should head to the radio tower).

In my playthrough you were able to choose who got the flare gun, not like it helped poor Matt when like horror movie idiots they chose to signal for help instead of using it in self-defense.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exquisite tea posted:

In my playthrough you were able to choose who got the flare gun, not like it helped poor Matt when like horror movie idiots they chose to signal for help instead of using it in self-defense.

I looked it up, and I misremembered. It's actually even stupider than I thought. If you choose to give Matt the flare gun, then whether he fires it or not depends on whether you earlier had him agree that the two of them should go to the tower. If you said yes, he fires it immediately. If not, he sticks it in his pocket.

I don't know either. I really don't.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Butterfly Effect, man! Didn't you watch the animation and listen to the monologue

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

I looked it up, and I misremembered. It's actually even stupider than I thought. If you choose to give Matt the flare gun, then whether he fires it or not depends on whether you earlier had him agree that the two of them should go to the tower. If you said yes, he fires it immediately. If not, he sticks it in his pocket.

I don't know either. I really don't.
Sounds like exactly the point of the game, that one choice can have unintended and seemingly unrelated consequences?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno why I tried the Ghost Recon beta since I knew I wasn't going to like it, but in addition to being boring it also somehow gave me motion sickness, something that hasn't happened since I played Wolfenstein 3D when it first came out. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sounds like exactly the point of the game, that one choice can have unintended and seemingly unrelated consequences?

It's the only choice in the game that has no real logical flow from your earlier choice and basically the only choice in the game like that, so it stands out.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ImpAtom posted:

It's the only choice in the game that has no real logical flow from your earlier choice and basically the only choice in the game like that, so it stands out.

Yeah cause and effect don't link up at all in that instance, and it's doubly bad since (Until Dawn spoilers) if you pick the choice that arbitrarily makes him fire the gun, he dies about 5 minutes later unless you make him jump to safety and leave Emily to (presumably) die

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah, it would be fine if they left the flare gun choice as is, but having Matt fire it automatically is really dumb.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a good way to listen to podcasts on the PS4 if the podcast isn't on Spotify?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the web browser would probably work in a lot of cases

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's too bad Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming out in the middle of a swath of games because it looks pretty cool.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ankle posted:

Is there a good way to listen to podcasts on the PS4 if the podcast isn't on Spotify?
I listen to podcasts a lot of the time in the background of most games I play. I download them to my Android phone with a podcast app like normal, then use BubbleUPNP to serve them over DLNA and listen with the PS4 Media Player app. I'm sure there's an iOS equivalent if that's your thing. It's far from perfect -- not uncommon for the stream to just drop or abruptly skip to the next file in the queue and I can't figure out which end of the connection to blame -- but you can always plug a USB drive into the PS4 for Media Player if that's a better tradeoff for you. Like Spotify you've got controls accessible while inside games, separate volume level, it's pretty great expect when it's not.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

It's too bad Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming out in the middle of a swath of games because it looks pretty cool.

The best thing I heard about this is you can supposedly spec 100% non fighting and get through the game. Which is pretty drat cool if true.

But got dang it bobby. This is the thickest release time I can remember. Like 5 ps4 games I want. Switch existing so Zelda. I didnt even know this was coming now.

My gamefly queue went from nothing to 10 games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

The best thing I heard about this is you can supposedly spec 100% non fighting and get through the game. Which is pretty drat cool if true.

But got dang it bobby. This is the thickest release time I can remember. Like 5 ps4 games I want. Switch existing so Zelda. I didnt even know this was coming now.

My gamefly queue went from nothing to 10 games.

I purged my queue and have left a slot open for Horizon on the hope that it will ship on Monday

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly that I'm super OCD about checking every nook and cranny (and I liked Dying Lights world design with tons of interior stuff) and I always felt like I was being rushed in co-op

I actually never played the expansion with the buggy I need to go pick that game back up.
Man, Dying Light was such a surprise for me. The expansion is excellent. The whole region is really cool. I'd been "done" with the game for a while but the expansion made me think "oh yeah this poo poo is great" again.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

Man, Dying Light was such a surprise for me. The expansion is excellent. The whole region is really cool. I'd been "done" with the game for a while but the expansion made me think "oh yeah this poo poo is great" again.

It was good but it really suffered from the devs trying to draw it out as long as they could by making everything as far away as possible from one mission to the next. Driving back and forth over and over got kind of tiresome and the vehicle was by far the weakest part of the whole thing. Bad end boss fight too but loving excellent ending.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

It was good but it really suffered from the devs trying to draw it out as long as they could by making everything as far away as possible from one mission to the next. Driving back and forth over and over got kind of tiresome and the vehicle was by far the weakest part of the whole thing. Bad end boss fight too but loving excellent ending.

I think that was what made it great co-op, because the distances didn't feel that tedious when you're with a partner. Also getting sidetracked into running over hundreds of zombies never got old for us.

OK I think that one ride up the mountain was pretty bad but we only had to do that like three or four times

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wait Torment is coming to PS4?????? What the gently caress I had no idea.

That is the Planescape: Torment spiritual successor right? Or am I mixing up Tyranny?

Isn't Tyranny the PoE guys?

E: pillars PoE not path PoE

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think that was what made it great co-op, because the distances didn't feel that tedious when you're with a partner. Also getting sidetracked into running over hundreds of zombies never got old for us.

OK I think that one ride up the mountain was pretty bad but we only had to do that like three or four times

Yeah, I ran through the whole thing with a buddy. I probably would have gone crazy if I tried it solo.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

There was a lot of travel but I remember there being enough side quests that long trips usually had a few important things along the way.

The boss fight was crap for sure. It's the kind of game to me where completing the main quest is not the main focus. Or that killing the end boss was just a small part of beating the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

verbal enema posted:

That is the Planescape: Torment spiritual successor right? Or am I mixing up Tyranny?

Isn't Tyranny the PoE guys?

E: pillars PoE not path PoE

It's the guys that did wasteland and bards tale.

I'm honestly not sure what the whole Torment connection is, as Numenera is a pen and paper Rpg unrelated to planescape afaik, but I could be wrong. I never played planescape Torment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has anyone mentioned this Critics' Choice Sale going on in the PlayStation Store? Some deep discounts on awesome games. Titanfall 2 Deluxe for 60% off and Witcher 3 Complete for 50% off are seriously tempting my wallet. Sale ends on the 28th.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think that spend $100 get $15 also runs through the 28th.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

verbal enema posted:

That is the Planescape: Torment spiritual successor right?

Yep!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It's the guys that did wasteland and bards tale.

I'm honestly not sure what the whole Torment connection is, as Numenera is a pen and paper Rpg unrelated to planescape afaik, but I could be wrong. I never played planescape Torment.

It's unrelated to Planescape, but they're approaching this as a "spiritual successor" to Planescape: Torment. The point is to have the same focus on dialog, roleplaying, and philosophy that Planescape: Torment had.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Yesss

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sleeping on UC4 was a mistake, thanks Pro Pack-In game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that was dumb, fortunately you can still have him survive by immediately abandoning his girlfriend to almost certain death. :v:

I really didn't like that part because his death feels completely unconnected from anything you did and also how it plays out completely non-interactive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Sleeping on UC4 was a mistake, thanks Pro Pack-In game

Man, I wonder what this area looks like on the Pro

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Make sure to give the MP a whirl it's a lot of fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm several hours into Nier now and it's good but not spectacular yet. I'm sure that like its predecessor it will get serious only after I get an ending. Well, another one. There's a gag ending you can get within minutes of starting the game if you want.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much of it do you feel is a big rear end RPG vs a standard platinum game? I'm still having trouble getting a read on the structure of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

How much of it do you feel is a big rear end RPG vs a standard platinum game? I'm still having trouble getting a read on the structure of the game.
Big rear end RPG. The world is very much like before: huge open areas for you to run across with (or ride animals) with relatively minimal enemies most of the time. Gates in between areas that get unlocked as events unfold. Side-quests to gather ten robot ankles or whatever, and also to upgrade weapons which reveals more about their story.

Also fishing for robot fish, as a robot, using a robot as a lure.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There must be some sort of law in Japan that requires a fishing minigame in all games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought a ps4 pro and it is huge.