Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes! It's excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Party Down a good show?

It's fantastic. The second episode, with them catering a College Republicans club, has possibly one of my favorite climaxes of any half-hour comedy. It's up there with Leslie Knope's campaign rally in my mind.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Spatula City posted:

hopefully it's just the first two books. I have heard...not great things about Endymion. also hopefully it's limited run. I don't see how there's that much adaptation wiggle room, or much possibility of expansion.

Eh, Endymion is set like 1000 years in the future or something. It'd be an entirely separate show.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mu Zeta posted:

Siffy is also making an adaptation of the Hyperion series and it's being produced by Bradley Cooper. Sounds promising.
Question is whether that's still the case. That info is pretty old and there weren't any updates. Ringworld is also still due. They're sitting on that a couple of years longer already.

--edit: Last news about Cooper and Hyperion was from June 2015.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Party Down a good show?

It's a great show. Fantastic cast and was just a few years ahead of its time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Question is whether that's still the case. That info is pretty old and there weren't any updates. Ringworld is also still due. They're sitting on that a couple of years longer already.

--edit: Last news about Cooper and Hyperion was from June 2015.

Both shows sound like extremely expensive investments for sets and SFX and without a big name actor in the lead not likely to draw any buzz. The Expanse is amazing and quickly becoming the new BSG, but without Thomas Jane as the lead I'd doubt it would've gotten the go ahead for production.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Niwrad posted:

Ian McShane will make this watchable but the book is such a hunk of overated poo poo.

The only person who overrates American Gods is the 35-year-old "Wiccan Priestess" who works part-time at an occult book store and sells cute knitted demons on Etsy.

I read it when it came out, enjoyed it well enough though it's far too long, and now I'm listening to the "full cast reading" audiobook and it makes it much better, the people they got for Wednesday, Shadow, and Mr. Nansi in particular are great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just found out Are Technicia has an Expanse podcast where they talk about the physics among other things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So far The Expanse seems to have a really good portrayal of physics. At least conceptually, if not completely accurately.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's real problem is it was on a pay TV network that isn't HBO or Showtime, so it only had like 600k viewers per episode. The only reason I watched it was Netflix had negotiated the ability to stream everything on Starz.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Starz is a great addon to amazon prime now. Lots of shows and movies available. I need to cancel my hbo addon, but Starz is a keeper I've had for almsit a year now.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I'm a dick and I didn't read back the last 20 pages, because I'm a dick. No need to tell me.

Is the Expanse awesome or what? Will it survive without Thomas Jane?

The Flash is getting a little irritating, but still completely fun. I do NOT like Iris (but not hatefully, just kinda dislike) and I hope they either kill her in the season finale or pull some really fun and creative stuff from their sleeves. But almost EVERYONE has powers now and it's kind of ruined the dynamic.

Arrow is complete :vomit: and I guess I'm hate watching it at this point? Laurel and her character are like that bad smell you find in your car and you think you got rid of, but it keeps coming BACK and people keep mentioning it. You killed off your most annoying character. Have some balls and admit it. Every episode is just a random story where they shove people into slots with nonsense characteristics to make it happen. They aren't even people anymore.. just dummies who spout whatever in order to fit the pre-determined plot.

Lucifer is still fun if it were ever on!

S.H.I.E.L.D. suffers the same as Arrow. People's decisions just don't make any sense unless you're the writers who just shove them into a plot slot. And they're already fighting the entire idea that this super-secret important government agency is dumb as poo poo and filled with morons.

Colony remains the most boring thing on television that could possibly have aliens. Christ.. They finally capture one and they start sawing at it's chestplate and can't make any progress? Maybe go for the seems?? You idiots! I think Sara Wayne Callis is maybe some sort of suck factor on any show that she is on - like how much better did Walking dead get after she died? Way Better!

Supernatural and Teen Wolf both sucked this year.

How to get away with Murder has the most inept title, since these dumbasses have been terrible at almost everything since the first death. But somehow I'm hooked even though I hate everyone and I hope they all die. Except Oliver.

Timeless is weirdly fun even though its so stupidly cheesy and looks like it was filmed in a garage with a $100 budget.

QI seems off and edited weirdly so it's simultaneously not as funny or informative. I love Sandi so I can't place the not-funny other than bad editing.

Black sails is just depressing atm, and I still don't really understand the thinking of the two main girls, minus the one that is most likely dead. I'm a girl and I hate to admit it, but yeah the 3 chicks in the entire show do garner my extra attention.

I'm trying to think of a show that puts me in my happy place and right now, I dunno, there isn't much to get excited about. It's funny, because i'm a really happy, positive person. I should watch less TV.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone watchin' the last season of Girls?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm 2 episodes in and this is increasingly feeling like a Veronica Mars cast re-union.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

GobiasIndustries posted:

:laffo:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I've never watched Girls but I kind of wish I did just to spite the goonlords whose creepy obsession with hating Lena Dunham has reached the same level of cancer as hating Mount Everest, the Xbox One, and China.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Guy Mann posted:

I've never watched Girls but I kind of wish I did just to spite the goonlords whose creepy obsession with hating Lena Dunham has reached the same level of cancer as hating Mount Everest, the Xbox One, and China.

I don't think I would really count as a goonlord. I just think that girls is funny for about two seconds when you realize that she's playing this privileged white girl who thinks she's the poo poo when in reality she doesn't do anything at all, or have an interesting opinion.

Premise understood.

Then nothing happens at all other than she just KEEPS being a privileged self-centered bitch for all following episodes. And her friends are equally vapid and irritating. And there is no more JOKE. It's just bitchy people being SAD. WAHHH

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I got three episodes into Girls before I got bored and dropped the show, that's my story.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yes, first two eps ruled but not seen this latest yet

Girls is great gently caress y'all

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

I'm 2 episodes in and this is increasingly feeling like a Veronica Mars cast re-union.

I think almost every main VM character shows up at some point in the series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DoggPickle posted:

I don't think I would really count as a goonlord. I just think that girls is funny for about two seconds when you realize that she's playing this privileged white girl who thinks she's the poo poo when in reality she doesn't do anything at all, or have an interesting opinion.

Premise understood.

Then nothing happens at all other than she just KEEPS being a privileged self-centered bitch for all following episodes. And her friends are equally vapid and irritating. And there is no more JOKE. It's just bitchy people being SAD. WAHHH

You don't understand the show at all then. I hated seasons 1 and 2 for similar reasons as you, but it's on season 6 now and since at least season 3 the premise has literally been "Lena Dunham knows she's a privileged, spoiled white girl whose problems don't actually matter so she's making a Seinfeld-esque comedy out of it where everyone has mundanely insane first world problems and how it's really difficult to feel lovely for yourself when you know that objectively your life is not so bad but since emotions and brains don't run on Objectivity you still feel really depressed as if your troubles do matter and the cognitive dissonance causes you to do things like drink too much and have bad relationships".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoggPickle posted:

I'm a dick

Colony remains the most boring thing on television that could possibly have aliens. Christ.. They finally capture one and they start sawing at it's chestplate and can't make any progress? Maybe go for the seems?? You idiots! I think Sara Wayne Callis is maybe some sort of suck factor on any show that she is on - like how much better did Walking dead get after she died? Way Better!

If you're not enjoying it by that point, which is what, mid season 1, then the show isn't for you.

And your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

MiddleOne posted:

I got three episodes into Girls before I got bored and dropped the show, that's my story.

I made it one episode in out of curiosity as to why everyone seems to have a hateboner for Lena Dunham and didn't find the show offensively bad, but just not really something I cared for at all. My hot take.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Speaking of Judd Apatow HBO shows (tenuous link...), anyone else watching Crashing? I've really enjoyed it so far, despite not really liking Artie Lang at all (from what I understand though he's only in the first 2 eps)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDRz9jJjYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJXgLtUcmuI

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finally finished season 1 of Vice Principals last night. It was pretty good. I was disappointed by how much it was just more Danny McBride show. I was hoping that Walton Goggins would have more equal screen time. And so much of it felt like a carbon copy of Eastbound And Down. But, it was still really good, and the ending was really great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snak it's ok to go a day without watching an entire season of a TV show. In fact it's a really good thing to do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Snak it's ok to go a day without watching an entire season of a TV show. In fact it's a really good thing to do.

Just because I'm going to watch the rest of season 2 of The Expanse tonight doesn't mean I watch a season of tv per day. Gosh.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

precision posted:

You don't understand the show at all then. I hated seasons 1 and 2 for similar reasons as you, but it's on season 6 now and since at least season 3 the premise has literally been "Lena Dunham knows she's a privileged, spoiled white girl whose problems don't actually matter so she's making a Seinfeld-esque comedy out of it where everyone has mundanely insane first world problems and how it's really difficult to feel lovely for yourself when you know that objectively your life is not so bad but since emotions and brains don't run on Objectivity you still feel really depressed as if your troubles do matter and the cognitive dissonance causes you to do things like drink too much and have bad relationships".

I totally understand you, and I think I DO get the series although I did not watch past maybe season 3? Maybe 4?
But even assuming that I understand the premise, is that something fun or interesting to watch AT ALL? It's the same reason that I don't watch those AMC or Lifetime dramas about single moms on crack with 16 kids and a boyfriend that beats them. It's not entertaining. It's just watching human misery for a half-hour and I don't get off on that.

Anyone watch the Leai Remini series about scientology? It was so weak and she was fixated on families and her fingernails literally made my stomach upset. I still liked it a bit. I could never watch it again because of the fingernails.

IRQ, c'mon man. You have better things to say that "your opinions=bad

*edited for typos* Still have no idea how to spell dumb names. OOPS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Nobody listen to this terrible advice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, I watched Vice Principals over the course of like 2 weeks. Of course, I also watch Orange is the New Black s4 during that same 2 weeks. 10 episodes of The Expanse yesterday. I think. It's kind of fuzzy. I drank a handle of vodka in 2 days and also a bottle of sake.

I feel great now, though.

I've just started season 4(?) of Dawson's Creek on our rewatch, and it's pretty much the best season. We're planning to watch Santa Clarita Diet and start Better Call Saul.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are some days I can't even make it through one episode of a show because of the 20 other things I think I should be doing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

There are some days I can't even make it through one episode of a show because of the 20 other things I think I should be doing

The trick is to drink heavily and forget that there is anything to life except the show you are watching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hahaha why would you take that post so seriously?

No real excuse. It was late and I reflexively responded to the troll. It's embarrassing but poo poo happens.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D. suffers the same as Arrow. People's decisions just don't make any sense unless you're the writers who just shove them into a plot slot. And they're already fighting the entire idea that this super-secret important government agency is dumb as poo poo and filled with morons.

:what:

The main thing I enjoy about SHIELD in comparison with other superhero shows is that its characters act like rational human beings instead of drama magnets or plot enablers, so I have absolutely no idea where this complaint could be coming from, especially in relation to the loving Flash, where literally the only reason anything happens is because Barry or someone around him is being an idiot. What, specifically, doesn't make sense to you?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Spergatory posted:

:what:

The main thing I enjoy about SHIELD in comparison with other superhero shows is that its characters act like rational human beings instead of drama magnets or plot enablers, so I have absolutely no idea where this complaint could be coming from, especially in relation to the loving Flash, where literally the only reason anything happens is because Barry or someone around him is being an idiot. What, specifically, doesn't make sense to you?
my memory of the show is less than perfect because its something that I watch because I want to know the bigger story, and I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi. But in the long-run, there are supposedly about 3 dudes watching out for the entirety of humankind, and one is Colson, one is this kick-rear end Asian chick with SEVERE interpersonal problems and then there's Fitzsimmons and their desperate love triangle.

It is seriously like watching Torchwood again and attempting to believe that these gently caress-ups are in charge of the most important stuff in the world? They've been violated, hacked, RUINED like how many times now? Go HEROS! They're like the student nerd club at highschool was just given all the best toys and told to rule the world. It's STUPID.

Given all of that, just say you take that for granted and don't get kicked right out of common-sense, then they consistently make really dumb and uninteresting decisions week-to-week, and just for the sake of manufactured drama. Does anyone really care about YoYo and Mack? No, because they already ruined it with some "not around all the time whiney BS".

I'm just feeling negative today. Sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you seem to have entirely forgotten the existence of the primary character on the show in the middle of that highly questionable description of it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

my memory of the show is less than perfect because its something that I watch because I want to know the bigger story, and I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi. But in the long-run, there are supposedly about 3 dudes watching out for the entirety of humankind, and one is Colson, one is this kick-rear end Asian chick with SEVERE interpersonal problems and then there's Fitzsimmons and their desperate love triangle.

It is seriously like watching Torchwood again and attempting to believe that these gently caress-ups are in charge of the most important stuff in the world? They've been violated, hacked, RUINED like how many times now? Go HEROS! They're like the student nerd club at highschool was just given all the best toys and told to rule the world. It's STUPID.

Given all of that, just say you take that for granted and don't get kicked right out of common-sense, then they consistently make really dumb and uninteresting decisions week-to-week, and just for the sake of manufactured drama. Does anyone really care about YoYo and Mack? No, because they already ruined it with some "not around all the time whiney BS".

I'm just feeling negative today. Sorry.

Well, for starters, shows tend to make more sense if you actually pay attention while watching them. I know it's a lot to ask, but I promise you, it helps.

Secondly, the entire point of the show is that they are very explicitly NOT the only people protecting the world. There are, in fact, lots of people protecting the world from all sorts of threats. SHIELD handles a certain subset of threats, and they generally do a decent job. They can't do a perfect job, because otherwise there wouldn't be a show. The world needs to be in danger from something, and that something needs to occasionally get close enough to threaten the organization itself. I'm not sure what you want them to do.

Thirdly... you know it's okay to just say you don't like something, right? It's fine. It's actually better than saying something like "It doesn't make sense" because "I don't like this" can't be argued with. First you said they make decisions that don't make sense, but you didn't actually cite any nonsense, and now you're complaining that they make decisions that are dumb and boring and pure manufactured drama, which is a totally different complaint. Just say "I don't like it" and move on. Maybe even stop watching? Just a thought.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I pay attention. I was just joking and exaggerating my displeasure. I have a bunch of microwave popcorn stuck in my teeth and I'm just generally in a crabby mood, but I did point out a couple of shows that are doing alright.

I'm kind of curious who is the main character that I "forgot" though? What, Daisy/Quake? She was totally uninteresting for the first year and now she's like a jump-on-jump-off train that they just fit into the pre-decided plot.

Seriously, there's a kernel stuck in my molar and I can't get that son of a bitch out of there and it's really annoying :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

Also I can't discuss OITNB without posting my favorite scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO94rhKJAR8

drat. I was wary during the first half of that scene because I have no clue about the show and I thought it was some ha-ha con joke, but then that turn and drat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

drat. I was wary during the first half of that scene because I have no clue about the show and I thought it was some ha-ha con joke, but then that turn and drat.

That scene turned me around on her completely. I hope they give her more time to shine next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DoggPickle posted:

I pay attention. I was just joking and exaggerating my displeasure. I have a bunch of microwave popcorn stuck in my teeth and I'm just generally in a crabby mood, but I did point out a couple of shows that are doing alright.

I'm kind of curious who is the main character that I "forgot" though? What, Daisy/Quake? She was totally uninteresting for the first year and now she's like a jump-on-jump-off train that they just fit into the pre-decided plot.

Seriously, there's a kernel stuck in my molar and I can't get that son of a bitch out of there and it's really annoying :)

Yes, Daisy is literally the main character of the show and half of the show arcs have come directly out of her own character development. But honestly, our views of the show are so wildly different I wouldn't know how to engage your take.

• Locked thread