Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Arrow (girl), it's me
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
To put an arrow, on a string
They say that food's supposed to heal ya
But I ain't done much cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Arrow Girl confirms weird Zelda NPCs. Thanks, Arrow Girl.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Arrow Girl confirms weird Zelda NPCs. Thanks, Arrow Girl.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/835280580845666305

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This guy ran all the way from south to north. It took 28 minutes :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRu3lwuEVY

He estimates that east to west takes 33 minutes.

That is a big world.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"It me"? I don't get why that's funny. I guess memes have left me behind.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ehud posted:

That is a big world.

That's actually pretty small. I mean obviously it wasn't the exact same methodology since it's two different people but the 8-Bit Bastard youtube channel does the same sort of thing for several games and out of 37 he's done so far (with 1 being the longest to traverse) that puts BotW at #31.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wendell posted:

"It me"? I don't get why that's funny. I guess memes have left me behind.

The joke is he's basically posting :same:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

You probably have to take in account the context of the time Skyward Sword was released. Compared to the games released back then, it was something truly revolutionary.

Maybe. I don't remember.

The Great: Many of the dungeons and boss battles, Groose
The Good: The other NPCs and the overworld themes, art design, regular combat
The Okay: Introducing shield durability and adventure pouches, the upgrade mechanics
The Bad: Stealth missions, anything requiring precise Wiimote swings, the lack of Sky content beyond the main island, repeating the sucessful collection screen for every item every time you restart the game, stamina implementation (climbing vines? the mainstay of 3d Zeldas?) Imprisoned One repeat battles

The total package was still an amazing adventure game but brought down by technical limitations and being the nth iteration of the "new dungeon, new item" theme but few of the new items were particularly integral or widely useful beyond their initial discovery. With one of the caveats being "hey this game has some flaws but so much else is A+ perfection" a 9 or 9.5 would be somewhat more reasonable and easier to defend as time goes by. Even the repetition of the areas is not nearly as bad as it sounds. The maps were extremely well designed so as you initially explore you find ways to create shortcuts to previous areas, making traversing it far easier after the first time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I see the metroid guy helped do some character work.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nessin posted:

That's actually pretty small. I mean obviously it wasn't the exact same methodology since it's two different people but the 8-Bit Bastard youtube channel does the same sort of thing for several games and out of 37 he's done so far (with 1 being the longest to traverse) that puts BotW at #31.

Maybe it feels larger to me because I'm factoring in the sheer volume of things to do and see within that space. The previews make it sound like the world is jam packed with stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is there any goon in the San Diego area that wanted to go to the Zelda Room Escape but couldn't get tickets? I got an extra and too many plans have fallen apart.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ehud posted:

That is a big world.

"I am going to begin this however by saying there will be no spoilers in this video."

*Immediately shows map with dozens of labeled locations.*

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To some people, any game details are Spoilers.

In which case why watch a video about how big the world is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

To some people, any game details are Spoilers.

In which case why watch a video about how big the world is

Well we're at a point where the Zelda franchise is so big but so little is known abut BoTW that names, items, consumables, weapons, etc. could all be potential spoilers for little hidden stuff in the game that people really, really want to to discover on their own. Seeing an image with Fire Sword X from Previous Game Z means they don't get that burst of nostalgia and thrill from randomly finding it in the game.

Personally I don't think any game mechanic should be considered a spoiler, but half the things marked as spoilers are referring to "look at what feature I've discovered!" in the same category as end game items with very specific descriptions. For example

You can use dyes to change the color of your equipment is not something I'd consider a spoiler, but a game feature that should be included in the OP. Since people are so particular about it I'd rather err on the side of caution.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
PSA: The full EDGE review has leaked and contains major spoilers. I checked it briefly and stopped after a few glances. What I did gather was that this looks like the first time in a Zelda game where the story is legit awesome instead of "Hey this is neat and I dig the lore."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

She is the reincarnation of Peatrice.

Her soul will continue to be reincarnated throughout history until it has fulfilled its wish to bone Link at least once.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

sigmachiev posted:

PSA: The full EDGE review has leaked and contains major spoilers. I checked it briefly and stopped after a few glances. What I did gather was that this looks like the first time in a Zelda game where the story is legit awesome instead of "Hey this is neat and I dig the lore."

I like that the tutorial is under an hour long and skippable.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This game has made me audibly gasp at gameplay gifs. I can't even imagine how fun it'll be to finally play it.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNvDfjEbQw
1080 confirmed for Zelda.

And the obvious: http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=RtNvDfjEbQw&video_start=0&audio=XeNKhm09Q88&audio_start=0

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't say the Edge review contains major spoilers. What's the policy of review scans on here, anyway? Because I have a link I could post if people want it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That top video is spectacular.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Anyone got a link to the full text of the review? I don't care about spoilers and google is unhelpful.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=NGeDd8Hy2_g.
Except replace bees with cuckoos.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I want to see the review someone hook me up

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

El Burbo posted:

I want to see the review someone hook me up

http://m.imgur.com/a/TgwYG

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

:cheerdoge:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Good news for Wii U owners, it looks like the game is pretty smooth aside from occasional framerate dips, the example being raining, gliding, and a populated village all on screen at once.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

90% of that review was made up of things you could say of any open world game this generation.

The other 10% is too good to spoil apparently.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Can you use the Wii U Pro controller for the Wii U version of the game or do have to use the tablet controller?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

spasticColon posted:

Can you use the Wii U Pro controller for the Wii U version of the game or do have to use the tablet controller?

I mean, you can use the Switch pro controller and the Switch in console mode, so I assume the Wii U version can use its pro controller.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

does anyone know if there are gyro controls for bow aiming and stuff? I've really come to like gyro aiming in games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

robot roll call posted:

does anyone know if there are gyro controls for bow aiming and stuff? I've really come to like gyro aiming in games

I'm confident I've seen someone using gyro aiming.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Edge review posted:

The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open-world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't known for 20 years. Not since *Ocarina of Time* have we set foot in a world that seems so mind-bogglingly vast, that feels so unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything; few, if any, ever deliver on it so irresistibly. Nineteen years on, *Ocarina* is still held up as the high-water mark of one of gaming's best-loved -- and greatest -- series. Now it may have to settle for second place. 10
bruh...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PneumonicBook posted:

That top video is spectacular.

gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wheres the gif of the guy throwing the skeleton

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

eonwe posted:

wheres the gif of the guy throwing the skeleton

http://i.imgur.com/2CTSjf0.gifv

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

90% of that review was made up of things you could say of any open world game this generation.

I can't say I can think of any other open world games this gen where the world felt "designed" to be played in and offer its own set of challenges in traversing. Usually you just mark a place on your map and walk straight forward till you get there

sigmachiev posted:

I don't see where they commented on the story in the set of images that was posted. Unless they left out a page on purpose?