Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Effie is great though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
How the hell are you supposed to be the F. Robin challenge map? You're funneled into a killzone that will basically get the first person you send murdered.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Lube banjo posted:

You might be facing the unique problem of having "too high stats for composition." Basically you're being matched up against teams with similar amounts of stat points, but since you lack a counter to specific champs you are losing to them

Hm, so maybe the best choice for me is Hector/Nowi/2 low stat people so I get paired up against weaker teams that Hector and Nowi can roll through?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hm, so maybe the best choice for me is Hector/Nowi/2 low stat people so I get paired up against weaker teams that Hector and Nowi can roll through?

Yep! and hope for a Kagero/Takumi and a good red lord. Maybe throw in a dancer to give hector some range

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

Effie is great though?

She's awesome, I just have like no green units, and plenty of lance units.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

How the hell are you supposed to be the F. Robin challenge map? You're funneled into a killzone that will basically get the first person you send murdered.

I've been getting closer, but basically if you send Marth (5*) one space into danger, for some reason they make some poor choices and hit you with the wrong units, so he survives. Then you teleport back and regroup with your team. Think I can pull it off with Marth, Roy, Robin and Takumi, but I'm still working on it

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I beat the Robin map on hard with Lyn, Azura (though Olivia would have done just as well since Azura saw no combat), 4* Felicia and 4* Kagero. Using both Galeforce and Sing kind of feels like cheating, but at least I'm done with that map.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Spellman posted:

I've been getting closer, but basically if you send Marth (5*) one space into danger, for some reason they make some poor choices and hit you with the wrong units, so he survives. Then you teleport back and regroup with your team. Think I can pull it off with Marth, Roy, Robin and Takumi, but I'm still working on it

The Marth teleportation strategy worked like a charm. Pulled it off with Marth, Camilla, Odin, and Donnel. Thank you!

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PunkBoy posted:

I used Julia, Eirika, Olivia and Lissa. Sent in Julia with the Speed and Attack bonuses from Eirika so that she wouldn't get doubled by the red tome user. Tanked the hits from the axe guy, blue tome guy (who died to the counterattack), the red tome guy and Robin. Healed up Julia with Rehabilitate, had her kill the lance guy. Tanked another round of attacks from the three remaining units, killing the red tome user and Robin with counterattacks. Last round, I had Julia soften up the axe guy, then Eirika moved in with a dance from Olivia to finish him off.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 25, 2017

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Raigh sucks rear end. Yeah, like Cavalry are such a problem.

That's what he gets for devoting himself to mastering the dark arts in a game where they don't exist.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

surf rock posted:

Interesting, thank you both! Sorry, I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1.) How can you tell what a unit's positive/negative attributes are before getting to level 40?

2.) Looking at the wiki's tier list (is that controversial/debated, or generally agreed upon?), male Robin is considered a great character. I've swapped him into my team to replace a four-star Setsuna, and at the same level, he has much worse stats across the board except attack. I've also lost her pseudo-healing ability. Why is he ranked so highly?

Edit: Got it. Thank you!

Well, according to that, I should probably give my first 5* promotion to my Kagero to round out my Robin/Tiki/Camilla triumviate. Too bad she's -Atk +Spd though.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

One generalised tip for FRobin I've found is they wont focus one unit if you put two in the danger zone. So what I did was kill the top mage with Kagero and then moved Lucina in below her to tank some hits over the river.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

cpaf posted:

One generalised tip for FRobin I've found is they wont focus one unit if you put two in the danger zone. So what I did was kill the top mage with Kagero and then moved Lucina in below her to tank some hits over the river.

This is not true for the AI, they will only avoid focusing one unit if they can deal more net damage to two units from what I've experienced.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

PunkBoy posted:

I trampled it with a team of lvl 40 Azura/Takumi/Lyn/Linde. What does your unit box look like?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Welp I beat the hard challenge map.

By levelling a 3* Jagen to 20 in order to toss a res buff and then just hiding Jagen in a corner.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I must have just lucked through the challenge map because I didnt have trouble at all. I sent in nino to kill the melee guys and her high resistance let her tank the mages pretty easily. though kagero might have taken out one - bring two high damage ranged units?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I beat the Normal map by putting Eirika in front and used Cecilia's Rally Resistance to reduce the endless mage damage.

There's no way in hell I'll be able to beat the Hard map with the poo poo I've currently got, I hope the next banner lets me get the amazing units everyone else apparently has.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wouldnt rule that out. Right now my team is usually Hector/Now/Lilina/Effie. Here is who I have:

If you are having problems using two 1-tile movement units, you can try replacing Effie with MRobin. Though he might underperform as a 3*. Other than that, some general strategies are: don't let Lilina get hit, don't overextend past Hector too much and use ranged units to kill Falchion wielders without letting them touch you.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I finally have enough feathers to upgrade someone to a 5* and I need another 15 emblems? I dont even know what colour those are, what's the best way to get them?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tithin posted:

I finally have enough feathers to upgrade someone to a 5* and I need another 15 emblems? I dont even know what colour those are, what's the best way to get them?

The training tower gives them at the top levels, but it's semi random, and it gives different colors on different days. Weekend is all of them, but it's luck of the draw which you get.

Also, there's missions to get forty if you have the current special gotcha characters, but those are rare, so you'll probably need another method.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you play a lot of training tower, you will get a lot of them. I have all the great badge color requirements for future heroes twice over

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

tithin posted:

Who are you 5-starring, out of interest?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Effie

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Any word on what banner is next since this one's almost done?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Has any site compiled a list of "these are the active arena maps" complete with where your slots spawn?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Instead of pulling Cherche #6 (wish I was kidding), I finally pulled a (3*) Nino.

I can't complain, cause this Nino is +Atk-Res and is already a huge upgrade

she'll be great friends with Lyn (my only 5* :rip: and Olivia).

Good things can happen to unlucky people! :v: At least I'll be able to make due with these guys now. Arena was getting kinda gross with my limited barracks

E: I can't believe i asked if Cecilia could compare as a green mage. Even at her base 3* Nino has been doing great in comparison.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nino is a good unit and she and Hector are best buddies on my team. The AI never seems to expect her hiding behind him.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'm considering promoting my Effie to 5* too now that the prospect of putting Vengeance on her is a thing. I'm little stumped as to what C skill would be good for her though. I'll promote either her or Anna because throwing Armored Blow 3 and Threaten Attack 3 on her actually might give her some staying power.

Edit: wait no, maybe Draconic Aura on Effie. That extra 30% to attack would melt everything. God, I hope skill swapping will be easy.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 26, 2017

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Kagero stomps on the Robin map, she can ORKO the axe guy at the top and tank all the mages.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That map that sends two character onto each corner is so dumb. Yeah, like my healer/dancer can do anything.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tired Moritz posted:

That map that sends two character onto each corner is so dumb. Yeah, like my healer/dancer can do anything.

They're grouped 1-2 NE and 3-4 SW. Pair your characters accordingly.

I pair Olivia with Takumi and it works out just fine. (Admittedly it's at least partly because it's Takumi, but you have just enough slack space that a dancer+a decent unit can burst down one opponent before they hit you. Just make sure the other team baits the other side or you'll get a 4v2 sandwich and then things get ugly)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Roger Explosion posted:

I'm considering promoting my Effie to 5* too now that the prospect of putting Vengeance on her is a thing. I'm little stumped as to what C skill would be good for her though. I'll promote either her or Anna because throwing Armored Blow 3 and Threaten Attack 3 on her actually might give her some staying power.

Edit: wait no, maybe Draconic Aura on Effie. That extra 30% to attack would melt everything. God, I hope skill swapping will be easy.

Nah, give her Robin's Bonfire.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Roger Explosion posted:

I'd hope for a +res C skill tbh, or something that'll slow down the damage on the 3 takumis 1 healer team I keep seeing on intermediate.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I must be the only person that likes that map. Yes, it splits up your team, but it also splits up the AI team too. Given that the majority of the time I lose in the arena it's because the AI dog-piles a character, I'll take it any day of the week.

:siren: Don't take them on 2v2 :siren:

Do not barrel head-first into them. Ever. Use one pair (usually the pair with type disadvantage) to bait their AI pair the long way around the mountain while regrouping with the stronger match up. Have the stronger match-up wait just outside their enemy pair's danger area (or even aggro one over, if you can) to make sure they come for you. This will give you at least a round where you can out-number the AI.

This is a defensive map. Bait. Regroup. Rearrange.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's gotta be my favourite map due to how stupidly easy it is to bait the AI. Since there's no obstacles you've got a really good chance at having at least one favourable bait on your first turn.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

I must be the only person that likes that map. Yes, it splits up your team, but it also splits up the AI team too. Given that the majority of the time I lose in the arena it's because the AI dog-piles a character, I'll take it any day of the week.

Do not barrel head-first into them. Ever. Use one pair (usually the pair with type disadvantage) to bait their AI pair the long way around the mountain while regrouping with the stronger match up. Have the stronger match-up wait just outside their enemy pair's danger area (or even aggro one over, if you can) to make sure they come for you. This will give you at least a round where you can out-number the AI.

It's a map that has 0 safe squares against a dancer + ranged unit duo. It has like 6 reachable safe squares if there is an enemy ranged unit in each corner. You can't bait unless you get lucky since the AI is very inclined to rush 3 people at one of your teams of 2. The arena is about making no mistakes and taking no loses in 7 matches and this map is very likely to lead to at least one casualty.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Roger Explosion posted:

Or the opponent has a Camilla/Cordelia/Hinoka that's gonna beeline for your RobinM or swordlord. That map heavily favours fliers and unless you have one of your own (or have a Takumi ready to protect the unit they're gunning for) there's no real way to get someone out of danger bar maybe Wings of Mercy/Escape Route.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wonder when are they gonna release more of the awakening characters. Hopefully they'll start making different pools for each different game so they won't be so crowded.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Huh, I always go into Arena with a Takumi, so I guess its less of a problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Huh, I always go into Arena with a Takumi, so I guess its less of a problem for me.

"I don't know why you guys can't dig holes, I always have this amazing shovel on hand"

akulanization posted:

It's a map that has 0 safe squares against a dancer + ranged unit duo. It has like 6 reachable safe squares if there is an enemy ranged unit in each corner. You can't bait unless you get lucky since the AI is very inclined to rush 3 people at one of your teams of 2. The arena is about making no mistakes and taking no loses in 7 matches and this map is very likely to lead to at least one casualty.

This happens to me every time. Both groups of the enemy units will just bumrush one of mine and it's never the one I expect them to. Then begins a game of running around the top mountains in a slow circle while picking at them to death and hoping they don't get wise and do a pincer attack.