Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Fallout, at least, has post-apocalyptic white people deciding to cosplay as Romans and do away with frivolities like gunpowder and medicine for poorly defined reasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Fallout, at least, has post-apocalyptic white people deciding to cosplay as Romans and do away with frivolities like gunpowder and medicine for poorly defined reasons...

They had plenty of guns and healing powder and the like. The reason was Caesar wanted to play dress-up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Desiden posted:

Someday, I am going to write my post-apocalyptic future game, which will be shockingly innovative. In the not-white countries charismatic leaders will rise, preaching a return to the "old ways", and attempt to restore the ancient incan/mayan/persian/imperial japanese/whatever empires. They will come forth to the land, and the people will say...."no, that's dumb. why would we do that?". And the preachers will say "oh yeah, I guess you're right. I know, how about we work on building up a sustainable regional economy and food supply, since the global system is collapsing." And the people will say "yes, that seems much more sensible than putting on grass skirts and dancing around like the platonic ideal of white people ideas of 'savages'".

And then they will do that, and things will go okay.

Before Savage Rifts came around, I was trying to make a Not-RIFTS set in South America decades following a major nuclear war between US and Russia that triggers the Rifts. Brazil and Argentina would essentially the Coalition States, with civilization sliding down into barbarism the further north you went past Rio de Janerio.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Desiden posted:

Someday, I am going to write my post-apocalyptic future game, which will be shockingly innovative. In the not-white countries charismatic leaders will rise, preaching a return to the "old ways", and attempt to restore the ancient incan/mayan/persian/imperial japanese/whatever empires. They will come forth to the land, and the people will say...."no, that's dumb. why would we do that?". And the preachers will say "oh yeah, I guess you're right. I know, how about we work on building up a sustainable regional economy and food supply, since the global system is collapsing." And the people will say "yes, that seems much more sensible than putting on grass skirts and dancing around like the platonic ideal of white people ideas of 'savages'".

And then they will do that, and things will go okay.

I'll at least go to bat and point out how much better Carella does it. It may not transcend the trope, but he does it much better for several reasons. First, they actually have a reason to pick up the old ways again - the gods return from their self-imposed exile and help the people out of the collapse. Second, they don't abandon technology. They realize that jeans, computers, TVs, laser rifles, and power armor are still useful, they just have more limited access to them in their region. Which, granted, is a concept imposed by the writer but at least it's a loving concept compared to Africa or Japan. Thirdly, their magic, like the Nazca being able to make magic buildings or having the legit gods helping out, actually can help build and defend a civilization rather than just having fireballs instead of laser rifles. Lastly, their society is actually much more socially progressive than the ancient Incas, and isn't just a copy-paste. They're much more egalitarian and the society has vastly greater social mobility.

If you're going to have the "old ways return" the Empire of the Sun is much more nuanced than its Rifts contemporaries.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Relevant to my bagging on the Indie Hack: the author is running a game of it for the Gauntlet podcast, so we can all see how it works in practice. Maybe I'll eat my words!

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Regarding Rifts Japan, I'm wondering if it could be much easier to nix the idea of splitting the country into seperate nations? Like have the Imperial family and the Shinto and Buddhist groups under a traditionalist umbrella, while the corporations and scientific interests take a more futurist side, and the government are caught trying to work between them? I know that a lot of RPGs of this type had a thing for Balkanization, but I just like this idea more.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Before Savage Rifts came around, I was trying to make a Not-RIFTS set in South America decades following a major nuclear war between US and Russia that triggers the Rifts. Brazil and Argentina would essentially the Coalition States, with civilization sliding down into barbarism the further north you went past Rio de Janerio.

Yeah. As it is, we'll have Columbia (from the previous South America book) and Cordoba (that is, a chunk of Argentina) filling that role, with Columbia being the more sympathetic version and Cordoba being straightforward fascists.

Spark That Bled posted:

Regarding Rifts Japan, I'm wondering if it could be much easier to nix the idea of splitting the country into seperate nations? Like have the Imperial family and the Shinto and Buddhist groups under a traditionalist umbrella, while the corporations and scientific interests take a more futurist side, and the government are caught trying to work between them? I know that a lot of RPGs of this type had a thing for Balkanization, but I just like this idea more.

It would probably work better, especially if you tied the throwback elements to extreme elements of Japanese conservatism where I could actually see that possibility. But that would require an awareness of modern Japan that doesn't just arise from having read Rising Sun and Neuromancer. :v:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Hostile V posted:

Alright lemme level with you. Yes, you. Just you. It's a pretty dang good book. That doesn't mean it's flawless. Far from it. The main issue you and I are going to be running into is the fact that a lot of the stuff in Immortals doesn't have particularly good compatibility with Chronicles of Darkness. This is mostly due to the old Morality System and our loathsome buddy Derangements.

Good to hear that. I've recently gained the perception that WoD is either a parody or edgelord teenager stuff. That's probably not entirely true.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doesn't RIFTS have a tradition of sympathizing with the fascists, too?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Alright lemme level with you. Yes, you. Just you. It's a pretty dang good book. That doesn't mean it's flawless. Far from it. The main issue you and I are going to be running into is the fact that a lot of the stuff in Immortals doesn't have particularly good compatibility with Chronicles of Darkness. This is mostly due to the old Morality System and our loathsome buddy Derangements. Integrity is a much better system, but Breaking Points vary from person to person and, well, say it with me:

I preferred the old Morality system. :shobon:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LatwPIAT posted:

I preferred the old Morality system. :shobon:

Sorry, you are bad and wrong. The old Morality system was awful - it was explicitly a Victorian morality forced on everyone, complete with the idea that mental illness was the result of being a bad person.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Sorry, you are bad and wrong. The old Morality system was awful - it was explicitly a Victorian morality forced on everyone, complete with the idea that mental illness was the result of being a bad person.

How is it Victorian? It's mostly "don't steal, don't harm people". It's not a perfect system, certainly, but I prefer it to Integrity. And you can pick up mental illnesses from being a bad person with Integrity. If your Breaking Points involve being a bad person, or you commit a murder, a Dramatic Failure on the a roll can result in the Madness Condition.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LatwPIAT posted:

How is it Victorian? It's mostly "don't steal, don't harm people". It's not a perfect system, certainly, but I prefer it to Integrity. And you can pick up mental illnesses from being a bad person with Integrity. If your Breaking Points involve being a bad person, or you commit a murder, a Dramatic Failure on the a roll can result in the Madness Condition.

The entire Morality system is literally built around Victorian hierarchy of sins and declaring what is worse for you than what, though somewhat less so than, say, oWoD Humanity was. It is also directly tied to derangements - literal mental illnesses. The idea of mental illness being a sign of actual evil is intensely Victorian and even more intensely insulting to those of us who actually have mental illness.

Integrity is designed first and foremost as a mind/soul health system rather than a moral judgement - and further, it doesn't cause mental illnesses, because derangements are gone. It causes conditions - which are almost always temporary and pretty much never based around actual mental illness.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The entire Morality system is literally built around Victorian hierarchy of sins and declaring what is worse for you than what, though somewhat less so than, say, oWoD Humanity was. It is also directly tied to derangements - literal mental illnesses. The idea of mental illness being a sign of actual evil is intensely Victorian and even more intensely insulting to those of us who actually have mental illness.

Integrity is designed first and foremost as a mind/soul health system rather than a moral judgement - and further, it doesn't cause mental illnesses, because derangements are gone. It causes conditions - which are almost always temporary and pretty much never based around actual mental illness.

But Integrity does all that too! There's a slight hierarchy of Breaking Points in how you can never harden to murder, and some kinds of murder are worse (premeditated murder [-5] worse than accidental killing [-4] worse than torture [-3] worse than causing visible serious injury [-2]), and a Dramatic Failure on a Breaking Point roll causes Broken, Fugue, or Madness. All of these are persistent Conditions, and Madness even gets worse the less Integrity you have. I don't think this is all that different from the Morality Hierarchy of Sins, where two failed rolls in a row result in Derangement. And for both systems, a character only picks up a mental disorder when they decrease the associated rating.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a pretty significant difference between 'the act of torture and killing is stressful to the human mind and soul' and 'you can go insane from stealing stuff'. And frankly, if you can't see the difference between the conditions you listed and the way Derangements were treated and tied to actual existing mental illnesses, uh, I don't know what to say. You also seem to be ignoring literally all of the supplemental material surrounding both systems, which describes and helps give examples on both intent and implementation.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Preface
One of the main reasons I’m writing this review is that I feel that this is an amazing product and probably one of the best Old World of Darkness products released. I think it’s important to highlight a good, recent World of Darkness product that updates on original material while making progressive improvements to the source material and to the presentation of the setting. This review will mainly focus on the fluff, presentation, and setting than the mechanics, though I will address them. It’s still an Old World of Darkness game so if you know what that means, you know how the mechanics breakdown.

I want to note as well that this is a product of Onyx Path Publishing, not White Wolf. Although former White Wolf writers wrote for this line, it is a product of a distinct, separate company that licenses material from White Wolf, which up until very recently was nothing more than an IP holding company under CCP, the makers of EVE Online. These Monday meeting notes from Onyx Path gives you more of a rundown of the history of the two companies (http://theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/).

After clearing that up, I think you should fully support Onyx Path and their writers if you like what they’re doing and know that giving them money or work is not supporting some of the most toxic elements in the RPG industry. OPP has made some mistakes along the way, Beast in my opinion to name one, but they are still light years ahead of some of their contemporaries.

This diverse set of characters is not only inclusive but also historically accurate and shows the geographic range that they cover in the book.

The Dark Ages
The Dark Ages line is a line of books put out for the Old World of Darkness lines that take place during the Middle Ages. V20 Dark Ages Vampire takes place in 1242 CE. The original book, Vampire: The Dark Ages was set in 1197 CE and Dark Ages: Vampire moved the date to 1230 CE. Although this book is a comprehensive treatment of the Dark Ages Vampire line, it does move the timeline forward. Werewolf, Mage, and Changeling received Dark Ages treatment books, Werewolf even had two editions, but this review will focus on V20 Dark Ages Vampire.

In many ways this setting is set in the period of time in the World of Darkness before everything went to poo poo for the major supernaturals in the setting. Vampires at this point are not bound by the masquerade and no sects exist as they do during modern times. The political power structures of the time don’t really extend beyond fiefdoms ruled by princes and some vampires even dare to live openly, although the inquisition, mortal mobs, and other supernaturals often put an end to this brazen behavior. Werewolves exist as they do in modern times but are missing the Native American tribes. Mages exist in broader, looser schools of magic and the Traditions and Technocracy don’t exist yet. Changelings don’t exist as they do in modern times, instead they are beings of pure glamour and inhabit the wild areas outside of humanity. Demons do not exist outside of the occasional earthbound demon and hunters are nonexistent due to being a product of end times prophecy. It is not uncommon to have elders who lived during the Roman Empire and the breakthroughs made during the Renaissance haven’t happened, which brought paradox and banality down on Mages and the Fae. It is largely a dark time for mankind relative to modern times but this turns out to be quite good for all the supernaturals in the World of Darkness.

I personally enjoy this setting a great deal and I think the creators of V20 Dark Ages did a great job in making these books. The writing is great and the artwork is beautiful. The deluxe core book even looks like the complete Sandman omnibus releases.

Not my own picture, I only got it at the PDF level due to monetary constraints when the Kickstarter was live.

I will try to do at least one post a week for this book and I will move on to the Tome of Secrets when it's done. V20 Dark Ages Companion will follow that when it's done but it's at art direction at the moment.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Integrity is by no means a perfect system itself. There's little of particular interest to seeing it slide up and down, with the serious dramatic failure Conditions being very rare, and raising your Integrity being a boring XP expenditure with little effect except for a minor situational bonus or penalty change.

But I think there's a big difference in perspective and tone communicated between saying that specific actions, like shoplifting, breaking and entering, or arson, can cause you to develop an Inferiority Complex, Obsessive-Compulsion, or Megalomania, and saying that flexibly defined personal shocks can cause you to feel Shaken or to become Broken or go Mad. Using the language of the DSM is a loaded decision.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a pretty significant difference between 'the act of torture and killing is stressful to the human mind and soul' and 'you can go insane from stealing stuff'.

You can go insane from stealing stuff with Integrity too, though! Just have "stealing stuff" as Breaking Point, and then you can go insane from it. And once you get past arson on the list of sins in Morality, it's all torture and murder, much like Integrity. Like, yeah, getting a Derangement because you shoplifted is somewhat bizarre (though not directly unrealistic), and I'm not going to say that the Morality system was flawless, but I liked the rigidity and predictability of it combined with the neat downward spiral more than I like the Integrity system, which removes a lot of bite that Morality originally had while also requiring more ST arbitration.

I do think the tone of the Integrity rules is better than the tone of the Morality rules, but that's really all I like about it. Other than that it does basically what Morality does, but in more awkward ways.

Mors Rattus posted:

And frankly, if you can't see the difference between the conditions you listed and the way Derangements were treated and tied to actual existing mental illnesses, uh, I don't know what to say. You also seem to be ignoring literally all of the supplemental material surrounding both systems, which describes and helps give examples on both intent and implementation.

I don't really think that the theme-park mental disorder Conditions in the Integrity system are all that much better a portrayal than the Derangements. On one hand, it doesn't make a game out of real things, on the other hand, it has a very unrealistic portrayal of things while still naming them stuff like "Madness" and "Fugue". As for the supplemental material, I've not really read it? I have the system as portrayed in the Blue Book and the system as portrayed in the GMC rules update PDF, because that's where the systems are described.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Preface
One of the main reasons I’m writing this review is that I feel that this is an amazing product and probably one of the best Old World of Darkness products released. I think it’s important to highlight a good, recent World of Darkness product that updates on original material while making progressive improvements to the source material and to the presentation of the setting. This review will mainly focus on the fluff, presentation, and setting than the mechanics, though I will address them. It’s still an Old World of Darkness game so if you know what that means, you know how the mechanics breakdown.

I want to note as well that this is a product of Onyx Path Publishing, not White Wolf. Although former White Wolf writers wrote for this line, it is a product of a distinct, separate company that licenses material from White Wolf, which up until very recently was nothing more than an IP holding company under CCP, the makers of EVE Online. These Monday meeting notes from Onyx Path gives you more of a rundown of the history of the two companies (http://theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/).

After clearing that up, I think you should fully support Onyx Path and their writers if you like what they’re doing and know that giving them money or work is not supporting some of the most toxic elements in the RPG industry. OPP has made some mistakes along the way, Beast in my opinion to name one, but they are still light years ahead of some of their contemporaries.

I agree with this and am looking forward to your review.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LatwPIAT posted:

You can go insane from stealing stuff with Integrity too, though! Just have "stealing stuff" as Breaking Point, and then you can go insane from it. And once you get past arson on the list of sins in Morality, it's all torture and murder, much like Integrity. Like, yeah, getting a Derangement because you shoplifted is somewhat bizarre (though not directly unrealistic), and I'm not going to say that the Morality system was flawless, but I liked the rigidity and predictability of it combined with the neat downward spiral more than I like the Integrity system, which removes a lot of bite that Morality originally had while also requiring more ST arbitration.

I do think the tone of the Integrity rules is better than the tone of the Morality rules, but that's really all I like about it. Other than that it does basically what Morality does, but in more awkward ways.

I don't really think that the theme-park mental disorder Conditions in the Integrity system are all that much better a portrayal than the Derangements. On one hand, it doesn't make a game out of real things, on the other hand, it has a very unrealistic portrayal of things while still naming them stuff like "Madness" and "Fugue". As for the supplemental material, I've not really read it? I have the system as portrayed in the Blue Book and the system as portrayed in the GMC rules update PDF, because that's where the systems are described.

Holy poo poo you are just being willfully dense now. A player choosing to do something - a stupid thing, IMO, but a choice - is very different than the game forcing it on them.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Holy poo poo you are just being willfully dense now. A player choosing to do something - a stupid thing, IMO, but a choice - is very different than the game forcing it on them.

You complained about 'you can go insane from stealing stuff' with Morality. I pointed out that you can go insane from stealing stuff with Integrity too. There's a reduced chance of it, and yes it requires the player (or their ST) to pick that as a Breaking Point, but it's not like that's not something the game suggests; it says to make a Breaking Point based on the worst thing your character has done, and mentions purse-napping as an example of what that worse thing could be.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Integrity lets you build out how your character feels about things. Your collegiate scholar character may think of theft as incredibly repugnant, and would take a breaking point from being put into a situation where they had to steal something, while another player's street punk doesn't have any qualms with theft as it's just another part of their life.

The difference is that under Morality, the Punk WILL stress and break down because of all their theft, because the morality system was a set of universal rules that every human followed.

Morality is about a universal code of moral conduct and condemning people who don't follow it.
Integrity is about what stresses and rattles your character until they hit a Darkest Dungeon-esque breaking point and become abusive or paranoid or delusional.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The discussion of Integrity v Morality is especially relevant given Dark Ages' preponderance of Paths of What I Was Going To Do Anyway. I am excited.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crasical posted:

Integrity lets you build out how your character feels about things. Your collegiate scholar character may think of theft as incredibly repugnant, and would take a breaking point from being put into a situation where they had to steal something, while another player's street punk doesn't have any qualms with theft as it's just another part of their life.

The difference is that under Morality, the Punk WILL stress and break down because of all their theft, because the morality system was a set of universal rules that every human followed.

Morality is about a universal code of moral conduct and condemning people who don't follow it.
Integrity is about what stresses and rattles your character until they hit a Darkest Dungeon-esque breaking point and become abusive or paranoid or delusional.

Courageous

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that grown to not really like Sanity/Morality mechanics in RPGs in general that only serve to reduce player agency.

Those kind of "mental health" mechanics are a holdover from the days where it was expected that, by default, you would need them to get your players out of the D&D mindset of murderhobo shenanigans. I can accept a "mental Hit Point system" that goes down to reflect how close a character is to a complete breakdown, but stuff that just lets the GM hijack your characters actions ("you failed your Saniy roll, so now you must attack your friends", or "you have -2 to actions because you feel sad") rankle me.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that grown to not really like Sanity/Morality mechanics in RPGs in general that only serve to reduce player agency.

Those kind of "mental health" mechanics are a holdover from the days where it was expected that, by default, you would need them to get your players out of the D&D mindset of murderhobo shenanigans. I can accept a "mental Hit Point system" that goes down to reflect how close a character is to a complete breakdown, but stuff that just lets the GM hijack your characters actions ("you failed your Saniy roll, so now you must attack your friends", or "you have -2 to actions because you feel sad") rankle me.

Agreed. You can probably get the desired effect by making sanity a resource the player can choose to spend. Call of Cthulhu investigators conspicuously avoiding looking at things yet somehow knowing what they are dealing with is not the desired effect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's kind of hilarious whenever I heard people talk about adding a morality system to Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and my response is "If your players are being shitheels then you have a rank 6 Ahroun show up and kick their poo poo in." The spirits are watching and will go tell someone else if you're doing something obliquely evil. One of the books even goes over how the Garou Nation handles punishment for crimes on both a personal and sept level, including what happens when you stumble upon a sept that's turned their kinfolk into breeding cattle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

It's kind of hilarious whenever I heard people talk about adding a morality system to Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and my response is "If your players are being shitheels then you have a rank 6 Ahroun show up and kick their poo poo in." The spirits are watching and will go tell someone else if you're doing something obliquely evil. One of the books even goes over how the Garou Nation handles punishment for crimes on both a personal and sept level, including what happens when you stumble upon a sept that's turned their kinfolk into breeding cattle.
I'm guessing the question there is if you just kill all the Garou or if you have Werewolf Court to see if maybe some of the cliaths knew no better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Usually "Kill/ostracise the elders, put new ones in place, tell them to start cleaning house."

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
One of the handy things in werewolf culture in W:tA is that even a death sentence can be useful. Having a few werewolf elders with nothing to lose go loud on a Pentex facility or other Wyrm den is a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just Dan Again posted:

One of the handy things in werewolf culture in W:tA is that even a death sentence can be useful. Having a few werewolf elders with nothing to lose go loud on a Pentex facility or other Wyrm den is a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

Isn't a bunch of werewolves with nothing to lose where we got Black Spiral Dancers from though?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

wiegieman posted:

Isn't a bunch of werewolves with nothing to lose where we got Black Spiral Dancers from though?

They were a bunch of werewolves with something to prove. I think the distinction is that the White Howlers thought they could march to the heart of the Wyrm and win, while a wayward pack sentenced to a suicide mission knows for a fact that they're not coming home.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Doesn't RIFTS have a tradition of sympathizing with the fascists, too?

TL;DR: Siembieda does. Other Rifts writers vary.

:words: : Siembieda likes gotchas in RPGs, particularly playing against player misconceptions in regards to appearance and demeanor. The perfect book for anybody that wants to examine this is Villains Unlimited, where you have a group of respected businesspeople that turn out to be alien invaders that loathe and resent humans even though they don't look any different from humans. Similarly, you have a demonic werewolf-looking guy who's wanted but turns out to just be on the run hulk-style for crimes he did not commit. And you see this all through his writing - Rifts World Book 3: England had two races of insect-based people, one looks like straight-up bugs and the others look like humans with buggy bits attached. The human-looking ones are, of course, the the more villainous while the full-bugged out ones are the nice folks. And so on.

So we come around to the Coalition and he wants to do continue to playing against murderhobo tendencies - emphasizing that the Coalition are baddies but at heart they're human victims of a propaganda machine. Early Rifts material also offers the tried 40K-style excuse that hard, relentless fascism was necessary for humanity's survival. But of course, as the books go on and we get plenty of human civilizations that didn't think genocide was necessary for survival, that argument quickly falls apart. Siembieda wants to wring his hands and do a spin where individual soldiers might not be such bad guys even though they work for a genocidal fascist state, and pull his old gotcha. The problem is that he's not able to pull that off more often than not. Most of the Coalition leadership is a collection of psychopaths, bullies, and demagogues, and the morally conflicted are in a decided minority. (At least far as I've deeply read goes.) What's more, the idea of nuanced ethical dilemmas is not something Rifts is good at - it has creatures around every corner that are evil... because... that's what it says on their sheet. Of course, you add in a small section of the fandom that genuinely want to play Coalition soldiers because you to be get cool military macho skull dudes blowing the hell out of whatever and that only perpetuates trying to give them a sympathetic edge that fundamentally doesn't work.

I don't think it's because he's eager to celebrate fascism as an great idea or even a viable notion - even he constantly brings up that they're the villains and the tragedy of the current state of affairs. But I think it's more that he wants to have ethical gotchas and dilemmas in his games but is fundamentally bad at implementing the nuance necessary for them to work. If you had multiple political factions in the Coalition struggling against each other and some level of internal ethical conflict going on, it might work. But as it is it doesn't function, and if I get to Coalition War Campaign, that's a book that may get me to lose my poo poo.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Introduction
The introduction for this book follows the standard White Wolf/Onyx Path model for a core book. It lays out that this is a book for not only a fan of Vampire and Dark Ages but also for someone new. It also points out that they’re offering a new take on a lot of old White Wolf concepts and they do deliver on this.

The book does the usual of breaking down what traits OWoD vampires have relative to myths, nothing really groundbreaking or different. Vampires in the OWoD are relatively immortal, have to choose who they make vampires, and are damaged by the sun. They bring up the beast and the concept of the embrace but do a good job of laying down the basics. They do detail vampires and sex, which is a given since vampires are essentially magical rapists from Eastern Europe in Dracula, this is a given within the Western literary canon.
They do have a sidebar box in this section that lets you know that some powers are different from previous editions but you’re free to substitute in disciplines ranks for instance if you like the previous iteration of the power better than the new one.

The book does point out at this point that vampires in Europe consider themselves the spawn of Caine. This is not that crazy because most medieval Europeans are versed in the Bible, at least in a broad concept and story sense, and they believe it’s the history of the world up until their time. Caine, cursed by God to wander the Earth for eternity for committing the murder beget his children and they beget the Antediluvians, the founders of the clans.

Editorial Note:
In modern Vampire, only the Sabbat openly acknowledge this. The Camarilla refer to themselves as "kindred" and shun all talk of Caine because they claim it’s baseless superstition. The elders of the Camarilla know otherwise but do this to cover up the truth because they know the signs are all there and the world may possibly be ending. There’s also a lot of poo poo that went down related to Caine veneration and it led to the Anarch Revolts and the formation of the Sabbat. They honestly want to nip all that talk in the bud before someone fucks everything up.

The embrace is touched on in very brief terms after this and the hunt is detailed. The hunt is different for every vampire and for some just feeding on passed out drunks is enough but for others, they require more like a herd of mortals or a cult that they feed on.

As a source material recommendation, they mainly recommend The Crusades by Terry Jones, the Mony Python one. I do not believe I’ve read this one, I read a couple similarly titled works for an undergrad class but the professor didn’t point it out. He probably would have because we watched El Cid and he pointed out Herbert Lom, Chief Inspector Dreyfus from the Pink Panther movies, as the villain and I feel that would be something he’d mention since that’s a far reach for a class of college students in the mid-aughts. The authors do recommend the book because it’s a history that focuses on the common people and for recommending a work of history that isn’t a great man history, they deserve at least some praise.

Playing the Game
In this section the author lets the player know that this is their game and they can make it what they want. If you want a world spanning trek, you got it, and if you want an introspective, character driven drama, you got it. You can take the game in any direction and there’s no wrong way to play. They do break it down into the frame of hunger, hunt, feed, digest.

Exposition - The Hunger:
Vampires feel a need to feed themselves but it’s an alien hunger unlike any they experienced in life. This section talks about the importance of food in medieval society quite well and how getting your next meal can mean the difference between life and death in a pre-industrial society. It also talks about the importance of eating as a communal activity and a celebration, which you are now cut off from. Vampires are incapable of consuming food, most can’t even stomach it and vomit it up if they lack the appropriate merit. You have to now answer to your beast, the brutal alien entity within you, and satiate your hunger. It is a hollow, unnatural feeling that you must constantly wrestle with.

Action - The Hunt:
Humans are everywhere and it’s up to a vampire to choose their victims. Some vampires choose to go as long as they can without feeding while others indulge heavily in it. The hunt is much more personal than their hunger because the vampire was once mortal and is now separated from that by undeath. Humans don’t always die once fed upon but it can happen so they must be prepared. It is stressed that it is a complex moral situation that vampires must wrestle with.

Climax – The Feeding:
The feeding is itself not unlike a junkie indulging in their vice, a period of ecstasy that washes away the concerns of the vampire and satiates the beast. The feeding reinforces that the vampire is no longer human, something else, worse and more sinister than their former self. A vampire is never sated though and the hard choices are up to the vampire. The beast makes it harder and harder for the vampire to do anything other than feed and satiate themselves at the expense of humanity.

The Denouement:
Vampires are ultimately junkies for the blood by which they survive. Feeding quiets the beast but takes a great psychological toll on the vampire. They are a parasite and their livelihood comes from the life force of other humans. Vampires deal with it in their own ways, some reject their nature while other embrace it, but all struggle with their condition regardless of their rationalization. There is no escaping this cycle and how a vampire deals with this shapes their character.

This is all and all a good setup. It lets the players know the basics about the game and sets the vampires up as monsters. I think that too often vampire characters are treated as someone with a disability with superpowers. This book makes a good point that vampires are monsters, ruled by their beast, and are ultimately very self serving.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 25, 2017

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBBGjUjy2c

CHAPTER ONE: BLOOD BATHERS

Blood Bathers are a general group of Immortals who have figured out how to gain power through ritualistic bloodletting. This is called the Bathing Ritual and every Bather has their own form of the ritual. Remember how I said the easier it is to gain immortality, the more repugnant it is? Well, case in point.

Why blood? Good question. The blood is what’s important because the Bather is taking a victim’s essence for their own and they’re taking it through violence and murder (or at the very least through harm). The blood itself is only able to transmit the life essence for two reasons: the Bather’s Ritual is designed to facilitate that and also the Bather believes it’s possible. When it comes to ritualistic veneration, symbolism is key.

The Bathing Ritual

The Bathing Ritual is something that has existed in every culture that has held blood as having some kind of importance. The origins are ancient and it’s not clear which society figured it out to begin with; knowledge of the Ritual can be found in the texts and artifacts of many ancient cultures. The original Ritual allegedly made the Bather into a god on Earth: immortal, undying and unable to be harmed.

Nobody has ever successfully pulled this off.

Every time someone has dug into studies of the original Ritual, something vital to the process has been missing. For those with no background in research, history or anthropology, sometimes they just have the knowledge that the Ritual is possible and nothing more. Blood Bathers throughout history have attempted to fill that missing piece or build their own Ritual. Figuring out the Ritual is a lot like fandom theory crafting or believing in a conspiracy theory; you have an end-point in mind and just extrapolate all the clauses that need to be true from there and sound crazy in the process. As a result, every Bather has their own ritual that also gives the benefits they want to obtain. Some would argue that the Ritual itself doesn’t matter, that the will to power is enough, but that’s not true. When the Ritual is forged for that Bather, this is the only thing that’ll work for them.

Learning the Ritual

You have two options for this. The first option is the easy/lazy option, which is where the Storyteller makes a character/PC a Bather before the game starts and the Ritual is built and that character takes some dips to their Morality. The longer/harder option is when a Ritual is researched and constructed over the course of the chronicle. So let’s focus on that because it gets more play in the book.

Figuring out that the Ritual itself exists requires 10ish research successes. From there you have to actually start building each facet of the Ritual. This requires a little bit of a deeper explanation. The Ritual itself is made of the Bath, the Blood, the Effects, the Frequency and the Preparation. Depending on the choices you end up making (what effects you want, where you bathe, whose blood you take), these all have a positive or negative point value. In order for a Ritual to be viable, it needs to be a zero-sum equation. That is to say, the point value of all of all five facets (Bath+Blood+Effects+Frequency+Preparation) must literally equal zero. Crafting each Facet requires an Extended Intelligence+Occult roll that takes a minimum of one day spent researching per roll. The amount of successes needed is 5xPoint Total (ignore if the point totals are negative). Once all five facets are assembled, if the total cost is zero that’s it, you’re done.

If the total isn’t. Well, this requires an Intelligence+Occult roll.
  • Exceptional Success: Fixing the Ritual requires minimal work. Only the Facets that cause an imbalance should be looked at and it’s a single Wits+Occult roll to change the framework of the offending Facets.
  • Success: The Ritual won’t work but you know what Facets don’t work. Go back to the drawing board and resume researching with 5xPoint successes costing a minimum of a day to research.
  • Failure: The Ritual won’t work but you only know one part of it that will. Keep one Facet, throw the rest out, start over.
  • Dramatic Failure: Oh yeah no this is fine, go ahead and do it. Nailed it in on the first try!

Blood Bather Society

“Who the hell would want to be friends with a Blood Bather” asks someone who has never been to any internet forum ever. There’s no international Bather union or squad but having an ally or two is pretty handy. Plus, sometimes the Ritual can affect more than one person at once. So Bather groups tend to come in the following three layouts.

Mentor/Student: A teacher/student relationship tends to lean towards “I want an immortal companion” or “I want to have a kid and this is close enough”. The egocentrism of Bathing allows the teacher to view the student as a means for their knowledge and work to continue. Or sometimes a Bather wants to entice a possible student with the prospect of power and then set them up as a scapegoat for their actions. This sort of relationship doesn’t always work out because if the student disagrees with the teacher’s Ritual, the student can go off and make their own and provide competition.

Cult: Cults are a great way to stroke your ego and also cultivate a specific crop of victims to harvest. But let’s assume that this is the kind of cult where everyone gets the benefit of the Ritual. This makes a cult a great way to have hands to help prepare for the next Ritual, but there are two big possible problems. First, if they all get the benefit of the Ritual, a schism might form based around who is the central focus of the Ritual and gets to do all the important stuff. Second, the Ritual is tied to the size of the cult. Religious differences and internal strife means that Ritual can’t be changed. Now each faction has to get more people if they want to continue reaping the benefits.

Coalition: A Bather coalition is a loose association of Bathers with different Rituals. Maybe they all worked from one point to figure out their own, maybe they just do it their own way. Generally speaking they don’t meet in person but they do share resources and keep their work quiet and discrete. So a forum. There’s not always a leader but they’re all interested in proving that their Ritual is the best. The thing likely to bring a coalition down is a breach of privacy that brings the authorities down on everyone.

BLOOD BATHERS IN THE WORLD OF DARKNESS

Blood Bathers are pretty uncommon. Most authorities (such as VASCU) are unintentionally tracking Bathers without knowing it. I mean the difference between “serial killer” and “immortal who gains power through ritualistic murder” is nonexistent without a little bit of context. Since most people don’t believe that power can be gained through ritualistic bloodletting or don’t have the drive to believe it, they’re not a phenomenon that gets a lot of discussion or interest. Their general rarity and the fact that most knowledgeable folks don’t have any info to share outside of anecdotes or weird experiences give Bathers a little bit of extra protection to operate.

Vampires do not play well with Bathers. The fact that most Rituals require death by exsanguinations means that Vampires get more heat from Hunters who are wrong for the right reason. There’s also the fact that Bathing drains any useful Vitae from blood, making it completely useless to them. A Bather in Vampire territory is going to do a pretty good job of drawing attention to themselves by getting the Vampires in trouble and depriving the Vampires of food.
  • Deal with the Devil: A local chapter of Belial’s Brood has started worshipping a Bather as a god. They take a bit of blood from the victims they give the Bather who in turn funds their mayhem. Complicating this working relationship is the fact that the Bather thinks his Ritual would be more effective if he could make it work with the blood of the undead. If he succeeds, he will in fact become more powerful and the Brood want him to succeed so he can kill tons of Kindred.
  • A Plague of Vampires: The victims of a Bather keep getting up to attack people. They're stupid and not very strong, but they're still a threat to regular people and they run around in packs. A Vampire with strong will or the Bather themselves might be able to control the "vampires".
  • Common Blood: Turns out that Vampires invented the Ritual to make themselves complete. The Embrace gave immortality, but it also made Kindred mindless beasts. When a Babylonian king (En Isiratuu) was Embraced, his priests created the Ritual to save his mind and his spirit. En Isiratuu was the first of the Kindred as we know them and he spread the Ritual to rest of the leaders of the Kindred to uplift all Vampires. The Isiratuu bloodline continues, but his descendants are horrified by what the Ritual has become and who is using it. They want to wipe the Ritual out completely, but doing so might drat all Kindred to insanity.
Werewolves really only care about Blood Bathers for two reasons. First, they're a general abomination in the natural order of things. Second, the means by which most Blood Bathers operate creates a poo poo-ton of Murder Spirits who might not last very long but inspire more murders and propagate. The fact that Werewolves are related to normal humans is almost an afterthought, but they're still family who might be attacked by Bathers.
  • The Bath of Life: A Bather is using a Fetish as a tub, meaning that a spirit is bound to the tub and the entire thing is adorned in glyphs of the primal tongue of Werewolves. Getting the tub away from the Blood Bather might get them the chance to learn more about the old world, but if they kill the Blood Bather they might lose any clues towards its origin. Also a small wrinkle: the glyphs on the tub warn of bad poo poo happening if the tub is destroyed.
  • The Endless Hunt: Ever since a Bather skinned a Werewolf with a silver knife and used their blood for a Ritual, they've been hunted by their pack. Unfortunately using Werewolf blood lead to the Bather's Ritual changing to accommodate the blood. Normally this would mean that the Bather can only use Werewolf blood, but the bond of the Pack altered it further. Now the Werewolves are just as immortal as the Bather, and if the Bather dies they die. This relationship has become a game of chases with the Werewolves trying to stop the Bather from hurting more people without killing them, but what's the end goal? It doesn't help that the Werewolves know the truth but don't want to face it.
  • Ancient Truths: The Ritual was created by the Uratha as a means for giving their wolf-blooded relatives the chance to live longer and produce a child that would be a Werewolf and would be stronger. Originally the Ritual just called for a few drops of Werewolf blood, but over the years it's become the degenerate display we know today. The thrust of this scenario is to try and look into the old Ritual, maybe by going into the Spirit World and digging deep.
Mages have a lot more in common with Bathers than any of the other splats. Doing bad poo poo for power? SOLD! This leads to a lot of "what? We're nothing alike!" situations and the endless temptation of studying the Ritual for more forbidden knowledge. There've been rumors of Mages who've made deals with Bathers to know more and the horrors that have unfolded from there. There's also been the opposite human response of "what the gently caress have you done, we have to stop you" from Mages who've discovered that a magical serial killer is operating with impunity.
  • Local History: Mages looking into the activities of a Bather are disturbed to find that magic is clouding any progress and hiding the Bather's identity. This is because the Bather is the kid of the local Hierarch and horrible political upheaval will happen when the Mage community finds out that the Hierarch is enabling/protecting their kid's activities.
  • Doors: A Mage by the name of Chlorine has struck a deal with the Blood Bather by the name of Bob Pilot (who is a premade character). Bob targets people that he thinks are guilty or sinners. Chlorine took his name from "Chlorine for the gene pool" and is an rear end in a top hat who thinks some people should die. Chlorine makes people from all over the world disappear and gives them to Bob who uses them. Bob doesn't ask any questions, but his guilt is growing. Also Chlorine is a dick and is basically committing genocide via portal magic. Stopping Chlorine is going to be difficult when the Mage is capable of turning any door into access to Bob's tub...which is an industrial grinder at an abandoned plant Bob used to work at.
  • The Bridge of Blood: It turns out the main thing that makes the Ritual work is that the bath is an opening to the energies of the Supernal. Mages and Bathers draw their strength from the same source, just in different forms. A Bather has been intentionally picking Mages as resources to try and figure out which Realm created the Ritual. Each Mage has a different effect on the Bather, but if they figure out the proper Realm and proper sort of Mage, the Bather will Awaken and become a horrible monstrosity of murder and magic.
Prometheans and Bathers wouldn't have anything in common on the surface, but they both draw life from death with just the right spark making it work. Bathers are fascinating to Centimani or Prometheans following less pleasant paths. Alternately, studying someone who preys so openly on other humans is a great study opportunity for the human condition. Or you could just go the lazy route and have Disquiet affect the Bather and make them target the Promethean.
  • Resurrection Mary and Beth Frakes: Beth is a Bather who doesn't need much blood. Mary is a Promethean. The two once met and formed an indomitable hate-bond that culminated in Beth using all of Mary's blood for a bath. Well, it's hard to kill a Promethean that way and Mary got right back up. That was when Beth discovered that Mary's blood altered her Ritual. Mary's blood is what gets the job done for Beth, and Beth's ritual doesn't kill Mary. As long as the two are together, they're both immortal. However, one can die and the other will still live. And they still hate each other.
  • Symbiosis: One day a Promethean named Halk was exploring their newfound ability to slither around as a puddle when they took a dip in a vat of cow blood and human blood. Then a Bather named Rachel got in the tub and everything got all hosed up. Halk is now stuck to Rachel's skin, making the two of them look like an attractive woman permanently covered in a thick layer of blood and capable of flaying people with a touch of Halk's covering. The two of them exist in this terrible state, draining people dry and staying out of the public eye as they try to find someone who can help separate them.
  • The Wanderer: The first Promethean never ascended to humanity. Their blood and their body was imbued with such life and power by the Divine Fire that they became a healer and a guide. But the first Promethean's first creation wasn't more of its kind, it was the Ritual, created as a messenger of Flux to counter the presence of the Fire. The first Promethean still walks the Earth as a guru, teaching other Prometheans the path to transcendence and occasionally picking a human disciple to teach the Ritual to. The big questions are, why does the Wanderer do this and do they even remember why they're doing it?
Changelings hate Bathers. Bathers remind them of the Gentry, of the beings that took them and used them for their own goals. Some try to stop Bathers on moral principle while others do it because they're terrified that the Bather will attract the attention of the True Fae. But that's just the general approach. There are those who came back from Arcadia tragically monstrous and might need the help of others to just continue to survive. Alternately, a Bather might find something they need in a Changeling and stop at nothing to obtain it.
  • Dreams of Murder: A local Bather's sleeping mind is a horrific charnel vortex of violence and blood. Unfortunately, one of the local Changelings has gotten sucked inside while exploring the world of dreams. If the Bather is able to perform another Ritual, their mind will be reset and anything inside will be deleted from existence. It's up to the PCs to see if they can rescue their kin from the Bather's sleeping mind before they can perform another Ritual.
  • Bacchanal: A wealthy heiress has rented out an island resort to hold a party for a thousand revelers. The players are among those partygoers who've been randomly selected to get drunk and bang each other abroad. Little caveat: the heiress has figured out her own version of the Ritual and needs a couple dozen people to get her all the blood she needs. For the majority of the partygoers, they'll only have to worry about sunburns and STDs. For the players, well, Plot is a cruel mistress. Not really sure what this has to do with Changelings honestly. Maybe if she and her guards wildly hunt the partygoers and this inspires the players to fight back.
  • The Deal: The Ritual was originally part of a bargain between mankind and the True Fae, a deal made so long ago no myths or legends exist. The bargain stipulated that the Gentry could use the blood of humans as an elixir of life if humans could use Fae tears as a panacea. Unfortunately, time has lead to a bit of a fuckup in wording for both sides. Now humans are using human blood as a key to eternal life. On the Fae side of things, they're now doing something with the human tears they take and are giving nothing to mankind in return. What are they up to?
Hunters generally just target Bathers because of everything they do. They're killers who target other humans and harness supernatural power, just like the rest of their foes. The big hiccup is that not all Hunters hunt for nice reasons and may be seduced by promises of power. And is there any connection between Bathers and Slashers?
  • The Prisoner: Ashwood Abbey has kept a Bather locked up since the 1800s in a cell in London. The Bather is given what they need to stay alive and in turn they're the Abbey's personal oracle, giving them all the info they need to deal with the supernatural. But the Bather is tired of having been locked up and wants to run free. To that end, they've been planting the promises of immortality in the ears of younger recruits, hoping to cause them to come around and let them out.
  • Hunter's Hunted: The cowardly Bather has figured out their Ritual but is too scared and weak to actually kill someone. They were unable to actually use their knowledge...until they ran across a wild Mask. The Bather now "steers" the Mask towards potential victims and uses the blood of the recently dead to get what they need without incriminating themselves. The big problem with this setup is the fact that the Mask just does not give a poo poo about what the Bather wants and will just casually kill the Bather if they ever pick up the Bather's scent.
  • Stimulus and Response: Whatever causes a normal person to stand up and hunt is the same impulse behind a Bather's research into the occult. Both are people who see the truth of the world and have the drive to keep looking and strive for what they want. The Vigil and the Ritual are two sides of the same coin and the line between Bather and Hunter is a thin one. The bigger question is "what is this source of motivation?".

NOT CANON

Sin-Eaters are beholden to ghosts and death and so are Bathers. Mass murder makes a lot of angry ghosts. Downside: Sin-Eaters are superheroes up against enemies that kill lots of people and nerds on the internet will be mad that Ghostlord the Amazing does or does not kill Immortal Dan the Murder Man. I don't have much of a downside because Sin-Eaters don't have much going on. I'm sorry, fans of Sin-Eaters. You are really gonna hate my opinions when I cover future chapters. No but for real though Sin-Eaters are crazy overpowered and I can't really think of some other evil temptation that would cause a Bather to actually team up with a Sin-Eater. Wait nevermind I had some ideas.
  • Bad stuff happens when a Bather kills a Sin-Eater and the Sin-Eater comes back. The Bather is now a gigantic magnet for pissed-off ghosts and is causing all hell to break loose from walking around. Downside: bathing in Sin-Eater blood has lead to the Bather getting a good taste of supernatural power they won't want to give up.
  • Something about a Bather causes all of the players' Geists to flip the gently caress out and demand they focus on confronting the Bather for reasons that can't be accurately described. Has the Bather managed to slight the Geists somehow in the past or is this something more sinister?
  • Turns out the true purpose of the Ritual was to allow normal humans to insulate themselves from the dangers of the Underworld. The original Bathers were meant to go down there, break the Old Laws and be strong enough to take out the Kerberoi. Rumors are that if they succeeded, they could fix the Underworld. Obviously that didn't work, and god only knows what would have happened if they succeeded, but remnants of the true Ritual can be found in the Underworld and many people are interested in opening Avernian Gates to get at it.
Mummies don't give a poo poo about immortality. They don't give a poo poo about Bathers. They have other things to worry about. Problem is, most Bathers would love to talk to someone as old as the Arisen to try and pick their brains about the true Ritual. This rarely goes well for any party involved. Disclaimer: I ain't great at Mummy Lore.
  • A Bather crossed paths with a Mummy centuries ago and managed to get enough blood out of them. The magical energies of the Arisen have the Bather sitting pretty with no need for further baths, so the Bather took the "dead" Mummy, locked them in a coffin and dumped the coffin in the sea. Centuries later, a fishing crew has found the Mummy and inadvertently woken them back up. The Bather can feel that the Mummy is awake again and has come to realize that they've made themselves into a Relic by absorbing the Mummy's blood. The Bather has hired the PCs to protect them from the wrath of the Mummy in this bizarre adventure.
  • A Mummy is awoken by their cult because a Bather has been picking off the cultists as part of their Ritual. The Judges aren't particularly happy about this Mummy's early awakening and the Mummy isn't at their best due to the premature wake-up call. However, if no action is taken, the other cultists are surely hosed.
  • The Ritual actually dates back to Irem and was created by the Judges as part of a test run to make servants before they made the Arisen and the Shuankhsen. The Judges ended up scrapping the Ritual, but it was preserved by curious scribes and managed to survive the ages as a result. However, Ammut the Devourer has discovered that the Ritual is still intact and wants it for her servants so that she can grant them the intelligence they need to further her goals.
Demons also generally don't care about Bathers outside of a surveillance aspect. A Bather is a potential asset to be leveraged or they might be a part of a sinister God Machine machination. Or they might just be a random variable to account for in the mayhem that is life. Who can say? Deal with them as they come.
  • A Bather has been loving with a Demon's Cover whether they know it or not. Destroy them.
  • A Bather's tub is actually connected to a piece of Infrastructure. This is capital-b Bad; it's energizing the Bather beyond normal limits and it's also drawing God Machine attention when it tries to find out where that one power-sink is.
  • There's a pretty glaring translation error that a Demon can notice if they ever get a look at an artifact that details the myth of the Ritual. The point of the Ritual wasn't to make a human being a god, it was to make a human being into a servant of God. The original Ritual was designed to rebuild a Bather into an Angel in a way that didn't need the plans-within-plans a regular summoning requires. The Demons have to deal with the fact that this knowledge could possibly be used to make a rogue Angel that exists without purpose and is piloted by the mind of a serial killer.
And that's it. gently caress Beast.

My Thoughts

We're gonna get into the nitty-gritty of the Blood Bather's mechanics later but for now here's my basic views. I think the book starts off pretty strong by offering the most visceral and active Immortal from the word go, one whose general shtick is understandable and easy to grasp. I like the fact that the true Ritual is unattainable and there's a balance of having to weigh the different parts of the Ritual to get it to 0 for it to be functional. That being said, I have one big issue with the Blood Bather and it's kind of a simple one: I don't think they should be playable in the first session. It's kind of a bugaboo to me.

See, Blood Bathers may not be evil but they're pretty amoral at best. And it makes for a bad, imbalanced team if one person is a Vampire Lite and everyone else is a pretty relatively normal. Plus from a storytelling perspective, the eventual descent of a player's character into a Bather is a compelling character arc that keeps the game going. It's a general mix of "rules that are meant to be exercised during play", "loving up group balance" and "let's start play with one character as a serial killer and all-around bad person" that makes me leery about letting someone be a Blood Bather from chargen forward. I mean, considering how much work goes into building a proper Ritual, that's a pretty great long-term chronicle-spanning goal for the player to keep striving towards. But that's my two cents; you could tell the GM that they can't do that and the GM would be like "pfft, who's gonna stop me?".

We'll get into Morality and Integrity NEXT TIME when we also tackle the various mechanical aspects of the Ritual's Facets and some sample Rituals along with assorted business.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 25, 2017

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What is a wild Mask?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

lifg posted:

What is a wild Mask?

A Slasher. Crazy magic serial killers. Think Jason Vorhees or Michael Meyers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Every kind of slasher has some kind of nastier form that's been twisted by whatever dark magic gives them their powers into something overtly supernatural. Masks are primitive, animalistic and nearly unstoppable killing machines that can take a whole team just to slow down.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rifts World Book Nine: South America 2: Part 3: "Inca Warriors are traditionally men, but in latter years dedicated females have been granted the same privileges and special weapons; their conduct and performance have been outstanding so far."

O.C.C. and R.C.C.s of the Empire of the Sun

We get a long list of applicable material from other books, along with - strangely enough - an Inca Soldier O.C.C. that's intended for NPCs only (being very short and underpowered) and suggesting you somehow go about converting the Coalition classes to fill in for Inca soldiers PCs. It doesn't tell us how, though.

The RK Post art in this is actually really good.

True Inca R.C.C. Demigods

So, these are "transdimensional beings" (which means they travel between dimensions, I guess?), led by Viracocha, who's an actual god. They look like Andean natives but are slightly taller and lighter-skinned, which is why the Spanish invaders were mistaken for them! That's true history, folks. ;)

(Actually, the whole idea of the Incans associating whiteness with divinity is probably an invention of the Spanish, and there's no real evidence for it.)

So, there are different types, though only a few are mentioned in the descriptive text:
  • Viracocha Inca (all-father): These are your general all-purpose demigods, with super-strength, magic spells, and exorcism powers.
  • Inti Inca (sun god): Flight, glowing, and crappy sun-lasers fill out this demigod package. Oh, and they can put out flames, just like the real sun.
  • Pachamama Inca (earth mother): Earth magic, healing, endurance, and charisma.
  • Illapa Inca (god of thunder): Speed of sound flight, storm summoning, awful lightning bolts (1d4 M.D. per level, plz stop embarrassing the gods) and water magic and water psionics.
Most of them are loyal to the pantheon, but a a minority go to to become PCs wander the earth, while a few become eeevil, like Flame Puma, who's the head of a group of Larhold bandits. Who are the Larhold? Well, you'll have to wait another 163 pages. In any case, they're the nobility, cops, and judges of the realm. They also see a lot of military service against the Arkhons. Oh, and they can go seek an audience more easily with their patron god.

Stat-wise, they're awesome at just about everything, though they're tops in strength and endurance. Their M.D.C. is based on their endurance, so you might want to stock up on every physical skill that provides it. We're told their lifespan is "40,000+" years, an idea with staggering implications that are not explored at all. They can see the invisible or in dark, regenerate, get minor psionics, and bonuses against fear. Skill-wise, they mostly get a bunch of languages, survival, and combat skills. Their skill picks are pretty average, which isn't bad given all their other powers. Also, you get a magic club and spear, and additional magic items as you level up poached from the Inca Warrior class. Though they don't excel at anything, they do a lot of things really, really well. They're not nearly as awesome as vanilla demigods, though, who get to pick an O.C.C. and just generally bust the system that way.

Inca Warrior O.C.C.

So, this is a magical holy warrior that has"the magic to equal any power armor solider or any squad of infantryman". Wow! That sounds pretty badass. What do they get?

Well, they get a magic sling that fires magic fire, a holy axe that can heal tiny amounts, magic body armor, and an amulet of protection that gives them 100 M.D.C. six times a day. About the only thing that's notably more badass than a Coalition soldier is the amulet, which can make them pretty unstoppable as long as they aren't overwhelmed... but nothing that'll stop a squad of soldiers of power armor. The book describes them as a "magical juggernaut" but the Coalition gets better arms than they do by far, doubly so in the case of power armor troops. Not sure why they're tryign to sell them so hard. They do get a bunch of bonuses on saves and physical attributes, but a +2 or a +3 on a d20 isn't a game-changer.

Anyway, they go through intensive training, though they generally don't understand technology so well unless they're from Arequipa. Which is weird - you'd think they'd study it a little harder, given their key foes are steeped in technology. (And, unsurprisingly, it describes this as their sole weakness.) They're supposed to be the elite of the elite, mainly just because their equipment is expensive and rare. Speaking of which, they can get a suit of Incan power armor "when going on dangerous missions", but I'm pretty sure "dangerous missions" covers anything a PC does, so who knows.

They get wilderness and weapon skills, chiefly, along with power armor training. Their other skill picks are pretty robust, and they get an array of Incan weapons... including a rifle that's way better than the elite and rare magic weapons they're gifted above. And thanks to attribute requirements, you only have about a 38% chance of playing one. So much for the ways of the gods, then! :v:

You don't know how long I stared at this before realizing that's a snake on the ground.

Inca Sun-Priest

This is a specialist priest, to borrow a term, who's part of the "most prestigious organization in the Empire". Presumably they mean "aside from the actual pantheon of the gods", but details are details. So mostly they're more actual priests than mace-swinging clerics, and serve as bureaucracts, academics, and doctors - but this class specifically describes the initerant priests that go around healing people and hurting monsters. Sometimes they act in secret, especially outside the Empire where aliens are likely to shoot them.

Firstly, they can select three priest abilities from the Priest O.C.C. in Rifts Conversion Book 2, but if you don't have that book, they get bonus spells instead. (Having the Priest powers is way better in the long run.) They get second-par spellcasting (they don't have much P.P.E. to play with, minor save bonuses, a holy symbol that has a few defensive spells and also burns anybody that helps the pantheon, a middling number of academic skills, and powers based on their god:
  • Viracocha: You get the ability to cast spells from any two warlock elements, and once per day have a chance to cast any spell that Viracocha knows, which starts out at pretty lousy odds (20%) but eventually becomes crazy; when you have a 50/50 chance to cast spells that take thousands of P.P.E., it's a potential adventure-buster.
  • Inti: You can get elemental fire spells. Now, you may say "Wait, doesn't the last god get any two elements? Surely you get more spells!", but no, Inti followers get the same amount of spells with a more limited number of choices, only slower. But they get to cast globe of daylight as an at-will, if you really want to ward off vamps.
  • Pachamama: "Surely," you may wonder. "at least Pachamama gets more earth sells than Viracocha can." And the answer is yes!... once you hit 13th level, you'll have more Earth spells than Viracocha priests get. Still, you get a weak healing touch that's an at-will, which makes it one of the better out-of-combat heals in the game, and one of the worst in-combat heals in the game.
  • Illapa: "Well,", hopefully you can say now, "I bet despite only getting water spells, these priests have a worse progression than Viracocha." And yep! It's the worst of any. But at least they can predict the weather, though not much better than a regular meteorologist, and can cast thunderclap once a minute, which is mainly a good way to annoy people inside the house. Basically, they suck. Worship Viracocha instead.
Now, there are some catches to playing a priest. You can't:
  • Worship the wrong god (o'course).
  • Aid or abet evil supernatural monsters.
  • Refuse to help or attempt to help the needy.
  • "similar dishonorable behavior"
Now, a god may overlook a transgression based on a priest's permanent record (I guess they keep track of those things) or lose all your priestly powers. Oh, and you're basically a helpless soul-torn trauma victim for 1d4 hours. And your holy symbol will melt and burn, so better hope you don't have it on! Also other priests and gods of the Pantheon of the Sun automatically know you're a heretic. If that's not enough, they'll likely exile or literally beat the poo poo out of you. And as the final topping on the shitdae (that's a sundae made of poo poo), if you do go through all this and decide that you want back on the divine bicycle, you're reduced to level 1.

I don't know they don't just say "spray character sheet with lighter fluid, then apply flame", because that would be a lot more succinct.

"And now I have summoned whatever this is!"

Nazca Line Maker O.C.C.

So, it gives us the whole story of the Nazca over again, to where they fled this world and then returned now that magic's back in fashion. It notes they almost claimed Atlantis, but they didn't and instead it gave the Splugorth open season on the old continent. Way to go, drawmancers! Unlike normal wizards, they focus their will through drawings, though they can sketch magic lines in midair, and if you have a crazy high will, you can do it without a drawing implement. However, considering only 0.38% of normal human characters will qualify with the necessary mental endurance, I'm not even sure why they bother mentioning it.

What can they do? Well, sense ley lines and rifts. They can sense if they're a ley line within 5 miles, but can tell the exact distance once they're within 3 feet, which has to be a typo given they're giant blue glowy lines. "I'm 23.452156... inches away. Roughly speaking." You get line rituals, and about a 1/3 chance at base to recognize other line drawings. You'd think it'd be easier, given they're obvious symbols... but I'm going into nitpick overdrive. They also get a number of warding-type spells from the normal spell list as well. They get skills like art, astronomy, math, and demon lore, and get a good spread of other skills (but don't have many default skills).

And I'm going to skip slightly ahead, because it fits here, to give examples of:

Line Magic

So, some line magic takes minutes to case, others take just an attack. There's no unified language, so time for me to see what looks interesting:
  • Feast Sign: This lets you make magic wafers that sustain people, only they don't give any nutrients beyond basic sustenance, and can lead to undernourishment. So, basically magic corn puffs without the orange dust?
  • Lesser Animal Drawing (Animal type): This takes 1-4 actions depending on the size of the creature. We get two pages giving statblocks for various S.D.C. animals, meaning the best you'll get out of them is for them to act as bullet shields. Oh, and you have to buy it separately for each type of animal. There are 23 types listed here. So if you learn how to make "Bovine: cattle:, you have to buy it again to learn "Bovine: deer". :v:
  • Greater Animal Drawing: This is where you're in business - any animal created through this is M.D.C. Sadly, most are pretty pathetic combatants, the cost is still really high, and you still have to buy each category separately. Some of the larger ones get a useful knockdown chance, but at the same time they're going to make you blow most or all of your magic to cast them- if you even have enough to begin with to cast them at all.
  • Monster Drawing: This lets you create nonintelligent monsters, and takes 3-8 actions depending on their size. This is potentially pretty useful, but still has a long casting time and cost, and each specific monster has to be learned separately. And looking at the Rifts Conversion Book for examples of M.D.C. animals, I see: gryphons, pegasi, perytons, silonar (riding theropods), unicorns, or various worms of taut. The only ones that really stand out in a fight are the worms; otherwise you can get some decent mounts out of it.
  • Entryway: Literally make a Looney Tunes doorway through a substance no less than three feet thick. Takes 2 actions, but think of the shenanigans you could get into with vehicles and robot vehicles.
  • Line Blast: It's a crap attack, and guys with guns laugh at you. It also notes you can weave this into a blanket and roll that out instead of having to draw anything. You'd think they could do that with just any old line drawing!... but no. Still, the foes of the Inca will learn to fear my battle blanket!
  • Pattern Armor: This gives the subject M.D.C. armor and superhuman strength!... with awful damage.
  • Pattern Wall: This is the magic used to make the Nazca magic cities, but you have to learn the Permanency spell for it to last.
  • Power Symbol: Literally just a bargain-version, faster-to-cast version of Pattern Armor. This is how you fill page count, folks.
  • Wield Lightning: By 8th level, you'll do 10d4 damage, which is too bad, because rail guns that do 1d4x10 are plentiful for various 1st level characters. At least it makes you immune to lightning!... but not rail gans.
Secret Line Drawings

These are the super-special secret ones that the Nazcans will teach you only if you're 6th level or higher (how do they tell?) and have performed a valuable service. So, basically quest rewards. A lot of them have to do with loving with ley lines - making ley line storms, opening rifts, or making a crappy energy warrior that's only modestly better than your average soldier. The standouts are:
  • Make Ley Line: This is actually a really cool idea, though it does cost you a permanent loss of 1d6 Potential Psychic Energy points. The thing is, the Earth itself gets to save against your spell, and for the record it has a +3 vs. magic. So there's a 40% chance you just wasted a poo poo-ton of P.P.E. (300) and some permanent P.P.E. all for nothing. Try again! There's an "extend ley line" too, but I had no idea ley lines ever ended...? I thought they just looped around the world. Hm.
  • Permanency: This makes another line drawing permanent, but you have to pay 1/10 the cost of that drawing in permanent P.P.E. loss. So to make a permanent magical weapon, that's 4 P.P.E., for example.

"I will fight evil with whatever the hell this is!"

Rune Warrior O.C.C.

Rune Warriors are soldiers imprinted with permanent line drawings, originally to fight a race known as the "red people", which mercifully refers to a race of demonic giants. We won't get to unironic use of the term "red man" until later in the game line. So, anyway, this makes them into the supernatural elite of Nazcan warriors. Apparently they go around with spears and loinclothes wo that they're clothing-free to "power up". Some few use guns, but most snub the idea.

So this makes them into super-strong M.D.C. warriors, but not really enough M.D.C. to justify running around unarmored, so there's a mechanic where if they try and put on sealed armor, the magic eats away at it until it's unsealed (about 10 M.D.C.). Basically they have powers that last a minute or so and cost them power, like armor, sensing evil or invisible creatures, boosting strength or speed, getting awful combat bonuses, or regeneration. They also get a "pattern staff" that's tied to their own line magic, where they can drain M.D.C. from the staff or shoot energy bolts. The bolts are actually a big deal, because they can do 1d6 damage per P.P.E. spent, with no upper cap. That means if a 1st level character dumps their entire reserve of power, they can do 1d6x100 with one shot. Better not miss...

They have a very general soldier layout (and despite being described as poo-pooing technology, know how to use their radios perfectly well), and their kit comes with rocket or energy weapons. Editing! Psh!

Next: Neon kaiju hummingbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hey folks, I know it's been a little while since our last update. Forgive me for that, I was having some technical difficulties. Anyways it's time for more...

Shadow of the Demon Lord Part 11: Master Paths D-E

Death Dealer
When I read this Path’s description, I think of ultra greatsword characters from Dark Souls. You use heavy weapons, and you use them well. Big drat swords and axes, anything that uses two hands is in your wheelhouse.

Level 7 Death Dealer
Attribute increase and a big chunk of Health as well as Brutal Swing, which is the classic D&D cleave. When you incapacitate an enemy, you can make an attack against another enemy.

Level 10 Death Dealer
Besides another nice Health boost, you also get the awesomely-named Make Mountains of the Dead, which allows you to attack any number of creatures within reach. You don’t have to roll or anything, and if any of the enemies have less than 20 Health, they just straight up die.

quote:

Defender
Another tanking Path, the Defender is much more traditional than most of the others. Stand near your allies and protect them from the attacks of incoming enemies.

Level 7 Defender
Attribute increase and a big chunk of Health, as well as Defend, which lets you spend an action to protect people within reach. So long as they remain in reach, anyone attacking them takes 1 bane.

Level 10 Defender
One last Health boost, and Containing Strike, which lets you immobilize enemies that you hit, and Retributive Strike, which lets you hit enemies that hit your allies.

Dervish
If you want to wield two weapons and look cool while doing it, you want to be a dervish. The penalties to dual-wielding in SotDL are pretty steep, but if you take this Path you basically become the magic bullet of fighters.

Level 7 Dervish
You get the standard Attribute increase, a solid chunk of Health, and either another language or a profession. You get Ambidexterity, which lets you wield one-handed weapons as off-handed weapons, and Off-Hand Parry, which gives you a +1 to Defense for using a non-shield weapon in one of your hands.

Level 10 Dervish
More Health, and Two Weapon Mastery, allowing you to get 1 boon when attacking with two weapons. If you attack one target with both weapons you also deal 1d6 extra damage.

quote:

Destroyer
Take this Path if you want to use Destruction magic, which is all about blowing poo poo up and mangling people, to blow poo poo up even harder and utterly annihilate people.

Level 7 Destroyer
Attribute increase, a little more Health and +1 Power, and you either learn the Destruction tradition or learn a new Destruction spell. You get Destruction Unleashed, which turns you into a minor Sorcerer, allowing you to offload the self-damage from Destruction spells into localized blasts that damage friend and foe alike.

Level 10 Destroyer
A little bit of Health, another spell and Utter Destruction, which allows you to treat any 1s you roll on damage dice as 6s.
Diplomat
Every group has one player who wants to try and talk their way out of anything. The diplomat lets you do just that. They get bonuses to social combat rolls and can turn foes into friends.

Level 7 Diplomat
You start off with your standard Attribute increase, a little bit of Health, and either a profession or a language. Then, you get Master of Diplomacy, which gives you a boon in social settings to all Intellect and Will attack rolls. Stay the Hand is your other core ability, which lets you make a Will attack roll against an enemy’s will after they hit you. On a success you can either cause their attack to miss you or charm them for 1 minute.

Level 10 Diplomat
A little Health, and Soothing Words, which lets you clear status effects from nearby creatures, and Unexpected Alliances, which upgrades the charm from Stay the Hand to compelled.

quote:

Diviner
This is the class for people who want to be prepared for anything and mess with their enemies through foresight and preparation. It is the RPG equivalent of playing a blue deck in Magic.

Level 7 Diviner
Standard Attribute increase, a boost to Defense (!!!), Health and Power, another language or profession and you either discover the Divination tradition or learn one Divination Spell. Omens is your basic ability, and it allows you to expend a Divination spell when making an attack or challenge roll to get a number of boons on the roll equal to the rank of the spell expended.

Level 10 Diviner
A sliver of Health and a new spell. You then get Premonitions, which gives you three rolls after every rest. You record the results of these d20 rolls. When a creature makes an attack or challenge roll within sight, you can replace their roll with one of the rolls you made, and then cross that number off the list. So long as you have at least one unspent premonition, you can’t be surprised, enemies attacking you take 1 bane, and you get 1 boon to all challenge rolls to resist attacks.

Dreadnaught
Do you want to be invincible? Well, you can’t, but being a dreadnaught is as close to that as you can get in SotDL. They wear the heaviest armor and absorb nasty hits like it was nothing while never giving an inch.

Level 7 Dreadnaught
Increase your three Attributes and gain a solid chunk of Health. You get either a language or a military profession. Iron Clad lets you ignore the requirements for heavy armor and gives you a +1 to Defense while wearing heavy armor. Immovable means that while you’re awake the only way you can be moved is if you want to be moved.

Level 10 Dreadnaught
Another chunk of Health and Weapon Resistance, which means that while you’re wearing heavy armor you take half damage from weapons. Essentially, if you’re fighting humanoid enemies with swords, axes, guns etc. you have an absolutely massive advantage.

quote:

Duelist
This Path is all about fighting enemies one on one. If you enjoyed the Avenger from D&D 4th Edition, then this will let you do a lot of the same things. Your focus is on locking down one enemy, getting its attention on you and then destroying it.

Level 7 Duelist
Standard Attribute increase, some Health, and either another language or profession. You get Challenge, which lets you make an Intellect attack roll against the enemy’s Will. If you succeed, that creature takes 1 bane to all attacks that don’t include you. Riposte is a reactive ability that forces a challenged target to take 1 bane when attacking you. If they fail, you can immediately counterattack them,

Level 10 Duelist
More Health and Duel Mastery, which gives you an extra 1d6 damage to all attacks to your challenged target.
Enchanter
If you like to charm enemies and protect your allies from charms and other mental status effects, the enchanter is the way to go.

Level 7 Enchanter
Attribute increase, a bit of Health and +1 Power along with a language or profession. You either discover the Enchantment tradition or learn an Enchantment spell. You get Enchantment Defense, which lets you remove mental status effects from yourself with an Intellect challenge roll and Subtle Charm, which prevents enemies you have charmed from remembering that you charmed them.

Level 10 Enchanter
A little more Health and a spell. Countercharm lets you make an Intellect challenge roll when a creature within sight becomes charmed, and on a success the effect is removed. Persistent Enchantment doubles the duration of all your Enchantment spells.

quote:

Engineer
Okay, this is my favorite Path purely for how bugfuck crazy it is compared to all the others. The Engineer is about having a robot buddy who does all the heavy lifting for you… and it goes a little deeper than that.

Level 7 Engineer
You get your standard Attribute increase, a little Health, and either another language or an academic profession. Eidolon is your core trait, which gives you a personal construct, 12 feet tall and 2000 pounds. You can only have one eidolon and have to build a new one if it is destroyed. There is a statblock attached, and the eidolon is no joke.

Level 10 Engineer
You get a little more Health and Mighty Eidolon, which increases your eidolon’s Health by 25 and its Defense by 2. And Cockpit, which lets you install a cockpit in your eidolon and pilot it around as a literal goddamn mecha. Fans of Mechwarrior and Gundam rejoice, Robert Schwalb has your back.

Executioner
The name for this Path is pretty apt, as it does exactly what it says. If you’re looking for ways to instantly kill or severely damage your foes and end fights quickly, then the executioner will give you what you need.

Level 7 Executioner
Standard Attribute increase, a little Health, and either another language or profession. You get Execute, which means that once per round, you can make an attack with 1 boon that deals 1d6 extra damage. If the attack injures the target (brings them up to damage equal to half their Health), they have to make a Strength challenge roll. If they fail, they are insta-killed.

Level 10 Executioner
A bit more Health and the Exacting Strike ability, which lets you use a triggered action on a successful attack to deal maximum damage.

quote:

Exorcist
Do you hate those filthy xenosmonsters? Then the exorcist might be for you. This Path has a few tools for dealing with supernatural creatures and becomes hardier against their tricks.

Level 7 Exorcist
You get the Attribute increase, a good bit of Health and a point of Power along with either a language or a religious profession. You also learn the exorcism spell, which is a rank 1 attack spell that lets you end a few mental status effects and cast out possessing spirits and daze them.

Level 10 Exorcist
More Health and Purge the Unclean, which gives you 1 boon against certain types of supernatural monsters and imposes 1 bane on their challenge rolls to resist your attacks. Also you get Will of Iron, which makes you immune to charmed, compelled and frightened, and gives you 1 boon to rolls to resist gaining insanity.
Explorer
Do you want to boldly go where no one has gone before? Push yourself the limit and discover hidden secrets? Expand your senses and surprise people with your perserverence? Look no further than the exorcist for all that.

Level 7 Explorer
Besides the traditional Attribute increase you also get more Health, +1 to Perception and +2 to Speed. You also get another language or a wilderness profession. Preternatural Senses gives you 1 boon to all Perception rolls, while Perseverance lets you make a Strength challenge roll to remove a few different status effects from yourself. Respite lets you take a 1 hour rest with your allies, and at the end of it, everyone heals damage equal to your Healing Rate.

Level 10 Explorer
More Health and Driven, which means that any time you roll a 5 or less, you can roll another d20 and add that to the result. Still pretty swingy and you’ve only got a 20% chance of it triggering, but when it does there’s a good chance it will turn things around.

Next time: more Master Paths!