Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Please post links, I want to know how low their prices are.

They haven't shown any prices yet. Just saying come back later, make sure you do all this stuff to be prepared for when the deal starts.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ooo. I wonder if they will reduce the price on the Internal market as well. Still might want that old 4790K for the HTPC.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think the gold standard for horrible boards has to be cheap Via-based motherboards from the Super 7 days, long-forgotten names like FIC, Shuttle and Soyo.

I had a FIC PT-2007 ever so long ago with a Pentium MMX 233 on it overclocked via jumper to 262.5MHz (75MHz FSB x 3.5 I think)

Enjoyably odd monster it was. Note the dual presence of SIMM and DIMM slots. Pretty certain they could not be both used at once though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I had a couple of those SIMM/DIMM hybrid boards too, and yeah, you could only use one or the other. I remember reusing old SIMMS until I could afford new DIMM's because memory was so expensive back then. I think I was running a K6-2/400 and later a K6-3/450. Would have been a good setup except for the horrid Via Apollo chipsets.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Updated my asus prime z270m plus bios and while I still can't get full speed out of my 3000mhz ram I can hit 2800mhz so that's good enough for me now unless I decide to tinker some more.

Also had a problem where I couldn't make it boot right from my ssd, it would load into the bios and I'd have to force it to boot from there.

Turned out it was just like the old days, I'd plugged in an external hdd at some point and it shuffled around my boot order. In 1 of the like 5 menus for boot options, about 3 layers deep, was an option to choose which hdd to have boot priority.

Also restating my love for the g4560. Played some Mad Max last night which used to bottleneck my old q9550 something chronic, whereas my new g4560 sits at around 40-60% load pretty much the entire time.

eames
May 9, 2009

So that just happened... :banjo:

article posted:

Intel Core i7-6950X ($1599 US) – $300 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-6900K ($999 US) – $200 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-6850K ($549 US) – $150 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-6800K ($359 US) – $140 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-5820K ($319 US) – $100 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-7700K ($299 US) – $80 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-6700K ($259 US) – $140 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-4790K ($279 US) – $90 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-7700 ($289 US) – $50 Price Cut
Intel Core i7-6700 (259 US) – $90 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-7600K ($199 US) – $70 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-6600K ($179 US) – $$90 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-4690K ($189 US) – $70 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-7500 ($189 US) – $30 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-6500 ($179 US) – $50 Price Cut
Intel Core i5-4590 ($159 US) – $60 Price Cut
Intel Core i3-7350K ($159 US) – $20 Price Cut
Intel Core i3-7100 ($114 US) – $15 Price Cut
Intel Core i3-6100 ($109 US) – $20 Price Cut
Intel G4400 ($49.99 US) – $20 Price Cut
Intel G3258 ($49.99 US) – $27 Price Cut
source

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it is happening dot gif

also

:vince:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
$999 is still too much for the 6900K :|

eames
May 9, 2009

the comments on the site say that these are just their normal retail prices but the reductions look substantial enough to make me think that this is the Ryzen response... we'll find it soon enough.

microcenter posted:

Several CPUs also come with a further $30 savings promotion when bundled with a compatible motherboard.

6700K for $229.99 when bundled with a mainboard isn't too shabby.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, they're going to need to come down somewhat on that...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 25, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Those are normal prices from Micro Center, they always have very good prices on CPUs, same with the mobo bundles.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hair posted:

Updated my asus prime z270m plus bios and while I still can't get full speed out of my 3000mhz ram I can hit 2800mhz so that's good enough for me now unless I decide to tinker some more.

Also had a problem where I couldn't make it boot right from my ssd, it would load into the bios and I'd have to force it to boot from there.

Turned out it was just like the old days, I'd plugged in an external hdd at some point and it shuffled around my boot order. In 1 of the like 5 menus for boot options, about 3 layers deep, was an option to choose which hdd to have boot priority.

Also restating my love for the g4560. Played some Mad Max last night which used to bottleneck my old q9550 something chronic, whereas my new g4560 sits at around 40-60% load pretty much the entire time.

I have the Asus Z270H and updated the BIOS to the latest dated last month I think. I am using Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz LPC memory and it would only run at 3000 stably using the default XMS settings. So I don't think this is out of the ordinary.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You might need to bump up user agent or vccio voltage from /stock/ levels for faster rams, but make sure the board isn't feeding them too much voltage already.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

redeyes posted:

I have the Asus Z270H and updated the BIOS to the latest dated last month I think. I am using Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz LPC memory and it would only run at 3000 stably using the default XMS settings. So I don't think this is out of the ordinary.

Ah oh, thanks for letting me know. I certainly couldn't hit 2800 before the bios update so I'm pretty certain they changed something somewhere. Still 2800 it a good bit faster than the 2133 it wanted to run at by default, I'll maybe try tightening up timings and stuff but I'm happy only being 1 notch down from its supposed speed. Hoping they might drop another bios update that let's me use xmp in the future though, it was one of the small things I was looking forward to with my upgrade.

Edit: got 3066mhz running! Figured out that the xmp profile was setting the base clock to 102.3000 from the usual 100. That was apparantly what was causing it not to work. I'm now at 3066mhz with the correct timings :)

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 25, 2017

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
If AMD ends up being a much better cost/effective option for multi threading than Intel but a bit worse for single threading, what everyday programs and games that are shittly coded and only use 1 core would make a case against getting something like a Ryzen 1700 instead of a Skylake/Kaby?

Otakufag fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eames posted:

source

Those are just the prices at microcenter. They are always discounted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you need a shitload of PCIe lanes for whatever reason and don't have a corporate expense account, it's still your only option, even with Ryzen coming. The one thing AMD didn't do was light the world on fire with interconnects.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Those are just the prices at microcenter. They are always discounted.

No Microcenter in Europe. Bad Euro value. Sky high CPU prices!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

source

Those are MicroCenter's normal prices and have been for a long time now. They gradually drop the unlocked i7s from $330 at launch to $300 midway through the generation to ~$270 after the next generation comes out. Here's the same pricing from 3 months ago on the 6700K, and here's the 4790K at $250 from a year or two ago

WCCFTech is a lovely site that will publish any random garbage some idiot writes up and I'm amazed that there are people in TYOOL 2017 who don't know that.

Also, right now AMD fanboys are convinced that literally anything Intel does must be because they are pants-shittingly terrified of Ryzen. Intel launches a marketing campaign? Obviously because of Ryzen. Microcenter has a sale? Obviously because of Ryzen. Intel moved to the tick-tock-tweak cycle a couple years ago? Obviously because of AMD.

At the same time they are also blasting Intel for failing to respond to an architecture that hasn't even had its NDAs lifted yet, but also don't like that Intel might be preparing new 12-core chips for Skylake-E and/or moving hyperthreading down into i5s.

Is this what it's like to watch hockey/soccer fans rioting? I really hope for their sake that Ryzen is really all it's cracked up to be, because otherwise this is going to be even more embarassing in hindsight than it already is.

vvv actually, I did too, it's got just the right cadence :v:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 26, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ihmemies posted:

No Microcenter in Europe. Bad Euro value. Sky high CPU prices!

For some reason I read this as a Trump tweet. All it's missing is :sad:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How susceptible to cracking are skylake cpu substrates? Just found a crack in my ebay-new 6600k after installing it with a be quiet cooler. Put it in correctly and everything but had to use plenty of force to get the cooler to plug in to the board. Then found it woildnt even turn on

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
12-core Skylake-X sounds nice. So long they scale down the prices of the lower core variants and not the other way. I'd love an 8-core Skylake-X.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Those are MicroCenter's normal prices and have been for a long time now. They gradually drop the unlocked i7s from $330 at launch to $300 midway through the generation to ~$270 after the next generation comes out. Here's the same pricing from 3 months ago on the 6700K, and here's the 4790K at $250 from a year or two ago

WCCFTech is a lovely site that will publish any random garbage some idiot writes up and I'm amazed that there are people in TYOOL 2017 who don't know that.

Also, right now AMD fanboys are convinced that literally anything Intel does must be because they are pants-shittingly terrified of Ryzen. Intel launches a marketing campaign? Obviously because of Ryzen. Microcenter has a sale? Obviously because of Ryzen. Intel moved to the tick-tock-tweak cycle a couple years ago? Obviously because of AMD.

At the same time they are also blasting Intel for failing to respond to an architecture that hasn't even had its NDAs lifted yet, but also don't like that Intel might be preparing new 12-core chips for Skylake-E and/or moving hyperthreading down into i5s.

Is this what it's like to watch hockey/soccer fans rioting? I really hope for their sake that Ryzen is really all it's cracked up to be, because otherwise this is going to be even more embarassing in hindsight than it already is.

vvv actually, I did too, it's got just the right cadence :v:
r/AMD fans are histrionic motherfuckers who've been this way ever since Kyle Bennett invented them after the Siege of Pentium 4 and 2/3 of them are going to be disappointed that it's a 16nm Haswell and nothing more. Even if it did reach the stars they'd be unhappy that it didn't cure cancer

Me, I just want more Haswell cores :byodood:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How susceptible to cracking are skylake cpu substrates? Just found a crack in my ebay-new 6600k after installing it with a be quiet cooler. Put it in correctly and everything but had to use plenty of force to get the cooler to plug in to the board. Then found it woildnt even turn on

Are you running without the IHS?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Don Lapre posted:

Are you running without the IHS?

No, was that a mistake?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Keeping the IHS on is what you'd normally do, so it's not that then.

Is that bequiet cooler listed as being compatible with skylake?

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake-cpus-are-bending-under-the-pressure-of-some-coolers/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 27, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Yes, its compatible. Youre not supposed to 'transport' skylake with coolers attached due to its fragility though and i did move the case from horizontal to verticle with it still in place. Wonder if that did it; still a nonsense, youd hope theyd come with a warning but ebay..

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a good reason to go AIO/LC :colbert:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

PerrineClostermann posted:

Sounds like a good reason to go AIO/LC :colbert:

Not much point with a bent substrate :/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I meant like, future reference and stuff. Less weight on the mobo might help for future cases, I dunno man.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it ever worth trying the Intel warranty for things like this? I've never had a damaged chip so no idea.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it ever worth trying the Intel warranty for things like this? I've never had a damaged chip so no idea.

At most you are out a few bucks for postage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You didn't delid so you should be good.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wasn't it starting with Skylake the circuit board got thinner so it was easier to crush it accidentally when installing the cooler?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Don Lapre posted:

At most you are out a few bucks for postage.

Imma try it but without a box (ebay) it looks pretty pointless. Oh well

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Imma try it but without a box (ebay) it looks pretty pointless. Oh well

You don't actually need the box for anything as far as I'm aware. Yeah, it's got info written on it, but that info is also written on the CPU itself, too: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021613.html

The bigger issue would be if they asked for proof of purchase and decided that eBay was not an authorized retailer. And/or it turns out your CPU was an OEM chip, and therefore has no warranty whatsoever (since it would be up to the OEM company to provide the warranty, which obviously they're not gonna do).

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You didn't delid so you should be good.

Speaking of delidding, is it worth doing? My i7 6700k won't overclock past 4.4 even at 1.35 voltage without turning off my XMP profile on my RAM (3200MHz)

It fails prime95 with anything past 4.4 and XMP

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

Speaking of delidding, is it worth doing? My i7 6700k won't overclock past 4.4 even at 1.35 voltage without turning off my XMP profile on my RAM (3200MHz)

What's the worst that could happen? Sure, utter destruction of the processor, but besides that

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rabid Snake posted:

How high can you go without XMP? And what sort of temps are you getting at 4.4? It may very well be a RAM issue more than a heat issue.

But yes, delidding can net substantial thermal gains. Just be sure that that's actually the issue before you do it: while there are fairly safe methods for delidding, none are risk-free, and you obviously void your warranty immediately. Installation, if carefully done, isn't too bad, but again not risk-free (get a shim).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
According to my Asrock motherboard 1.45 Vid is normal on a skylake. Why keep it on a lowly 1.35 volt? (e: joking, i know this would fry my cpu fairly quickly, it is no longer running at 1.45 volt)
If you look on Silicon lottery they have a delidded 7600k @ 5.3 ghz, but that is at 1.47 volt.
So if your CPU is actually a good sample and you delid it that will net you maybe a few hundred mhz if you stick to 1.35 volt?

(IANA (good) overclocker).