Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Nosre posted:

yea ranked is super chill and fun. It's drafting that's a pain in the butt, since getting screwed there means you're out thousands of gold.

Arguably not that out, given that you get 4 packs worth of cards guaranteed. However, I admit that what you get is quite different depending on how the draft goes. If you're just wanting to play draft and don't care about cards though, then yeah, it's a bit onerous to keep enough gold flowing to keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

No Wave posted:

Special activated abilities that work at fast spell or ambush speed would be neat too.

Ugh, no thanks. One of the things I like about Eternal is the limited priority windows. The thing I like least about MODO and Hex is having to click Pass Priority 12 times a turn.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

delfin posted:

If Gauntlet is the best gold gain then I'm a little afraid. That's five six-win Gauntlet runs per Forge attempt, and the round 7 Gauntlet opponents are often ridiculous for newcomers (for example, I just ran headlong into some Multifaction gets +1/+1 meat grinder full of Gorgons, and the one where 'everyone gets a free weapon' was brutal).

I'm working towards a budget Xenon Cultists deck and a monolight Midrange deck with minimal rare requirements.

You aren't counting quests which are super generous. Nor that you will improve immensely in crushing the AI. Besides just play some Ranked, it's not a big deal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do quests, play ranked. Ranked is really and truly not that bad. You will end up where you need to be and shouldn't spend too much time getting paired up in games you have no shot of winning.

Imagine Hearthstone, only there's a rank floor every 2 levels instead of just at Rank 20. It makes a difference.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just 7/x'ed my first draft. Is there a way to pull up the list after the draft is over? I was going to post it but i can't figure out how. It was basically rakano 1 drops with 5 finest hours. How many lands are you guys typically putting in a draft deck? The 45 card limit has been throwing me off coming from mtg.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

eSporks posted:

Just 7/x'ed my first draft. Is there a way to pull up the list after the draft is over? I was going to post it but i can't figure out how. It was basically rakano 1 drops with 5 finest hours. How many lands are you guys typically putting in a draft deck? The 45 card limit has been throwing me off coming from mtg.
My Cards > Import Deck > Last Draft

You generally want 17-18 power in a draft deck. Rarely you can go as low as 15 if you have a really deep pool with a low curve.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nosre posted:

It's funny how much worse mana-screw feels in this game, compared to Magic. I played the latter for ten years, still like to draft occasionally, and never gave it much thought beyond 'part of the game'. Here I had fun couple days playing constructed, but a couple 2-3 drafts with pretty good decks and I feel like rage quitting.

Greater number of games played in a short period? Physical games you walk around in between, chat, etc. Here it's just queue queue queue
Less developed cardbase? Magic has more stuff 'going on' that makes the problem less?

I think the "best of 3" helps a great deal in magic, like in this half the time I'm gauntleting so 1 bad mana flood ends the gauntlet making the past 6 games or whatever kinda pointless, same but less so with Forge/Draft you get basically one chance vs a person if you get a flood then that's it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

me loving around testing new decks in gauntlet: 'huh, sudden death, don't think I've played this dude before, I guess I'll mull for aggro."
him turn 1: 3x double damage infernus, well okay, I guess I'll just take 30 before I can even play a card

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hauki posted:

me loving around testing new decks in gauntlet: 'huh, sudden death, don't think I've played this dude before, I guess I'll mull for aggro."
him turn 1: 3x double damage infernus, well okay, I guess I'll just take 30 before I can even play a card

They are just educating you on the unfairness of combo decks. And how poo poo some of the gauntlet bosses can be.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

This janky pile is a hell of a lot of fun:

1 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
1 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
3 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
3 Feln Bloodcaster (Set1 #386)
3 Mirror Image (Set1 #217)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Cabal Spymaster (Set1001 #14)
1 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
2 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
2 Calderan Gunsmith (Set1 #46)
3 West-Wind Herald (Set1 #231)
2 Withering Witch (Set1 #368)
2 Black-Sky Harbinger (Set1 #385)
1 Celestial Omen (Set1 #241)
3 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
1 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
5 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
2 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)

The really nice part of playing this is without the infinte 4 card combo of Spymaster-West Wind-Calderan Gunsmith-Mirror Image, even just 2 bits of it are enough to take control of the game. I'm running an extra mirror images since I'm short on Stewards/BSH and making up for the loss of 2 stewards with Feeding Times. I find it helps clear the way for your West Winds a bit better anyway. I really like adding quarry to any controlling deck too. It's just the best way to speed up getting to your important control pieces.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

what's more gold efficient for building up your card collection, Forge or Draft?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what's more gold efficient for building up your card collection, Forge or Draft?

Draft by far

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Do Forge until you hit Masters to get the rank up packs, then never do it again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hand Row posted:

Do Forge until you hit Masters to get the rank up packs, then never do it again.

Until/unless they reset it and get those sweet sweet rank up chests again.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

well thank god I didn't listen to you guys, my forge run was offered a argenport instigator, two stewards of the past, and a golden vara

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

well thank god I didn't listen to you guys, my forge run was offered a argenport instigator, two stewards of the past, and a golden vara

That is absolutely insanely above rate. The typical offering is 2 rares.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ShaneB posted:

That is absolutely insanely above rate. The typical offering is 2 rares.

been absolutely crushing every game lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

there was actually also a withering witch in there but I forgot since I never drew her

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Draft is still the better choice economically but I still run through Forges every now and then even though I'm already master because I'm lazy and I know if I am not in the mood to concentrate on a full Draft I will gently caress it up and make a 2-3 win draft deck at best whereas I probably couldn't even get worse than 4-5 Forge wins if I tried. And if you're getting 6+ Forge wins your payout is as good as just a 2 win Draft and it's at half the price.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Aww heack yeah, got masters! Time to play nothing but Jank until the season resets.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shabadu posted:

Aww heack yeah, got masters! Time to play nothing but Jank until the season resets.

I'm right behind you, baby! 78/100 in diamond 1.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I got this game last weekend and it's been a blast. I went 7-1 on my first Forge and I've since mastered it and Gauntlet as well. Also got a Sandstorm Titan from one of my packs!

I'm trying to get better at draft but my best run was 3-3. I'm still having a lot of fun though, takes me back to when I played Magic back in high school and is filling that void better than Hearthstone has. I have a haunting scream deck that is ridiculously fun at how out of hand it can be.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SUCCESS!!!!

I went from Diamond 2 to Master today on the back of ManuS's Jito list. It's tricky to play perfectly (and I certainly didn't) but it is a ton more consistent than people give it credit for.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Adventures in Ranked:

I won a few in a row while trying to finish a couple of Do 100 Damage With Damage Type X quests. These are a bit difficult when opponents concede as soon as they're in a disadvantageous position.

Next game, I do a Redraw and end up creatureless. And remain creatureless from every draw until I had Power of 8.

Next game, I do a Redraw from a bad hand and end up creatureless. As does my opponent. Neither of us played more than a single Direfang Spider until we BOTH had Power of 8, and I didn't get a second one until I had Power of 14. This was not some ridiculously weird deck; this had a reasonable number of creatures in it.

Next game, I do a Redraw and get two sigils and a handful of 3-cost creatures. Guess what I didn't get for the rest of the game.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Shabadu posted:

This janky pile is a hell of a lot of fun:

1 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
1 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
4 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
3 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
3 Feln Bloodcaster (Set1 #386)
3 Mirror Image (Set1 #217)
4 Cabal Spymaster (Set1001 #14)
1 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
2 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
2 Calderan Gunsmith (Set1 #46)
3 West-Wind Herald (Set1 #231)
2 Withering Witch (Set1 #368)
2 Black-Sky Harbinger (Set1 #385)
1 Celestial Omen (Set1 #241)
3 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
1 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
5 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
2 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

The really nice part of playing this is without the infinte 4 card combo of Spymaster-West Wind-Calderan Gunsmith-Mirror Image, even just 2 bits of it are enough to take control of the game. I'm running an extra mirror images since I'm short on Stewards/BSH and making up for the loss of 2 stewards with Feeding Times. I find it helps clear the way for your West Winds a bit better anyway. I really like adding quarry to any controlling deck too. It's just the best way to speed up getting to your important control pieces.

It's really fun when the combo works but my experience with these decks has been bad. Pretty much every deck I've seen with this combo is poo poo, the combo being too slow and taking too many cards to really win enough games. Most combo decks in eternal are like this but I think this is actually one of the worst ones in terms of actually winning games. I think with a list like this, it's basically just feln control with a weaker win condition.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The new Vodacombo with the three mana card seems like the best combo deck by far

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Is there any way to look at your draft decks after you've completed a draft or do I have to screenshot it before submitting it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Is there any way to look at your draft decks after you've completed a draft or do I have to screenshot it before submitting it?

Screenshot it, or go to decks, import, from last draft.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

I AM CARVALLO posted:

In the deck editor, if you click the little arrow next to your curve chart it'll expand out and there'll be an option to Export Deck.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

EvilMike posted:

It's really fun when the combo works but my experience with these decks has been bad. Pretty much every deck I've seen with this combo is poo poo, the combo being too slow and taking too many cards to really win enough games. Most combo decks in eternal are like this but I think this is actually one of the worst ones in terms of actually winning games. I think with a list like this, it's basically just feln control with a weaker win condition.

Yeaah it's not great, but it is fun and cool. I really just love winning with piles of trash and now that I'm masters and have the season reward locked in I can go hog wild on jank.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just completely blew it by attacking with all my forces when I shouldn't have, leaving me open for the final attack :(

But I was rewarded with 2 diamond chests (e: from 2 golds)! Being a moron pays off!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 24, 2017

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I don't know if this was posted a month back when it was originally written, but this RNG Eternal article about Skill interactions and things that can be finicky/interesting with them actually taught me more than a few things. Very helpful for newer players and probably even some vets.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm a dummy and just realized when people talking about 17 / 18 power for draft decks they mean that they probably mean that the power takes them to 45 cards, not a 30 card deck + 17 or 18 power.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

RoboCicero posted:

I'm a dummy and just realized when people talking about 17 / 18 power for draft decks they mean that they probably mean that the power takes them to 45 cards, not a 30 card deck + 17 or 18 power.

I don't understand the difference between what you just said. Nvm I see you thought people went over 45

Any good sites I should be reading besides Rngeternal and the nexus eternal card replacement? I was pretty disappointed by the latest Rngeternal tier list recap so wondering if there's other interesting sources.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hand Row posted:

I don't understand the difference between what you just said. Nvm I see you thought people went over 45

Any good sites I should be reading besides Rngeternal and the nexus eternal card replacement? I was pretty disappointed by the latest Rngeternal tier list recap so wondering if there's other interesting sources.

There is a HUGE opportunity for good, regular content creation in this game. I think the best stuff is actually on YouTube.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
3x Karmic Guardian does work in draft

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally got together enough shards for a near approximation of the janky control deck variation I had in mind.

4 Trail Stories (Set1 #188)
4 Excavate (Set1 #71)
4 Levitate (Set1 #190)
3 Torch (Set1 #8)
2 Eilyn’s Favor (Set0 #24)
2 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Second Sight (Set1 #207)
4 Static Bolt (Set1 #194)
2 Violent Gust (Set1 #205)
1 Decay (Set1 #95)
1 Polymorph (Set1 #211)
2 Scorpion Wasp (Set1 #96)
3 Wump, Party Starter (Set1 #511)
4 Elysian Trailblazer (Set1 #228)
2 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
1 Psychic Savant
1 Yeti Snowslinger (these two likely to get swapped out for two more Scouting Parties)
2 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
9 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
2 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Seat of Impulse (Set0 #54)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)

It's a Carpet Shuffle variation, which means the standard combination of Elysian Trailblazer - Static Bolt - Excavate - Second Sight is in play to generate nasty lightning bolts. But there are several other possibilities. Get Trailblazer in play and echo Second Sight and you can use it every turn. Better yet, use Trail Stories to knock down the cost of your echoed Second Sight and you can spam the hell out of it. Wump gives you a third alternative -- while he's in play, playing other Yetis makes them do 1 damage each, triggering their Infiltrate. So Scouting Party with Wump on the board summons four 1/1 Yeti Spies, each of which does one damage to the opponent, then get +1/+1 from Wump, then draws four more cards. And if you can get Psychic Savant on the board while you're spamming Second Sight and triggering Yeti Spies and casting Wisdom of the Elders? Suddenly you have a very nasty flier.

The obvious downside is that you need several pieces and several Power to get the ball rolling in any of those methods. Lightning Storm/Strike, Torch, Polymorph, Levitate/Violent Gust combos, Polymorph, Static Bolt can help you stall. If Trailblazer ends up echoing any of those other than Levitate it should help you in the end, and you can mod out Levitate/Violent Gust for different removal/stall cards like Permafrost, Eye of Winter, or Crystallize.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Starting to get into the groove of this game, and about ready to start my first draft - is there a good guide to how I should be drafting, or relative tier list / value ranking?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

The only tier list I know of is at RNGeternal, and the last time I used it, the names were out of date, so there's nothing really like HearthArena. In general, you want to be drafting creatures that affect the board in a meaningful way, efficient weapons, and efficient spells. If you're coming in from Magic, there are signals to read, so don't get married to your first pick and think about when it's time to abandon a faction.

Disclaimer: I am bad at draft. I'm currently sitting at silver. I just joined this draft, and have no clue what to take. This seems like I should pick a common: Seek Power, Mithril Mac or Skysnapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

The only tier list I know of is at RNGeternal, and the last time I used it, the names were out of date, so there's nothing really like HearthArena. In general, you want to be drafting creatures that affect the board in a meaningful way, efficient weapons, and efficient spells. If you're coming in from Magic, there are signals to read, so don't get married to your first pick and think about when it's time to abandon a faction.

Disclaimer: I am bad at draft. I'm currently sitting at silver. I just joined this draft, and have no clue what to take. This seems like I should pick a common: Seek Power, Mithril Mac or Skysnapper

I'd probably grab the Combrei Healer and keep an eye out for good Green dudes. A lot of the time in Draft wins come from having a serious threat they can't deal with and those 3 hit points make a big difference compared to Hearthstone.

interrodactyl posted:

Starting to get into the groove of this game, and about ready to start my first draft - is there a good guide to how I should be drafting, or relative tier list / value ranking?

You'll probably want to grab 2 colors total, and keep an eye out for either stuff that's hard for the opponent to deal with, such as flying units, stuff with big stats things with good effects like Warcry, or Removal, like Torch, Lightning Storm, etc.

It's generally worth grabbing a couple extra sigils over the minimum, like 17-18.