Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Bittersweet news: All the kitties have moved on to their next step. We still have Mama, we'll keep her for a week or so until she's dried up and ready to move on as well.

Good news: Butterscotch found some drugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL75vueIIsw

Good luck, kittens!

Aww, you called him Butterbear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

Good luck, kittens!

Aww, you called him Butterbear.

Yeah, he acquires a new nickname about once every other month or so, but that one has stuck. I've built on it to "big fat stupid bear".

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Yeah, he acquires a new nickname about once every other month or so, but that one has stuck. I've built on it to "big fat stupid bear".

...you say it with love, right? Right?

I have this orange stripey cat that I call bears on a fairly regular basis. I'm very fond of him. He gets a lot of songs (they all do, but he gets the most). Yesterday, I came up with:
Everybody loves our bears
Or else they get punched in the face

It may not be the best song, but it's his.

I'm going to claim this is not entirely off topic because he did need rescuing. Friend of a friend found him left behind after some people were evicted. They'd shut his tail in the door. My friend couldn't keep him because her cat was chronically ill and seemed to hate him. So he lived in the alley for a week or so, then they told me about him, I drove up from Chicago to Milwaukee to get him. He was really wound up and screamy when I got him, but I had him neutered and his tail fixed up, and it turned out he's a really friendly playful smart cat who loves people and other cats. Best bears ever. I call him that because he will sit straight up on occasion, and with that and his slightly upturned muzzle he looks like the kind of bear bottle honey comes in.

Early picture from when he lived in the bathroom until the other cats learned to put up with him:

So, in conclusion, talk nice to Butterscotch or I'll digress wildly.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

...you say it with love, right? Right?

Of course. I really only call him Butterscotch when I'm mad at him and he's on our kitchen table ruining our lives. Kinda like how a parent scolds their kid by using their full name. Usually he's just Butters.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I love this thread and it is making me want more cats.

However, I already have two, including this long-haired Butterscotch stunt double. Her name is Lily.

Anyway, you guys are all awesome and please keep posting foster kittens and Butterscotch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Of course. I really only call him Butterscotch when I'm mad at him and he's on our kitchen table ruining our lives. Kinda like how a parent scolds their kid by using their full name. Usually he's just Butters.

but do you make up a middle or last name when you are really super serious?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Butterscotch Fabio Emmanuel Esquire, first of his name.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiny Deer posted:

Butterscotch Fabio Emmanuel Esquire, first of his name.

Butterscotchatolia DeMontague Vivian Eduardio Bennet Esquire. The First.

When you gotta give them a big fancy name, the original name needs to be a nickname of something unnecessarily long in its own right :eng101:.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

10/10, would snuggle that catte.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Ok.

This is his idea of snuggling. He doesn't like being held, and he'll only fully snuggle another cat, but he's very happy to lay on the desk with his head in my hand.

If I were a cat

it would be different.

Wash,

and be washed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Commissar Kayla posted:

I love this thread and it is making me want more cats.

However, I already have two, including this long-haired Butterscotch stunt double. Her name is Lily.

Anyway, you guys are all awesome and please keep posting foster kittens and Butterscotch.

I can't tell where the cat ends and the floof begins.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've been visiting the girls and establishing a routine of play and non-threatening presence.

Behold!
First contact with Luna.

Emma supervised.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

I have the opposite problem- Ranga stares intently at us eating so we cut a tiny piece of steak or whatever off for her. She sniffs it, licks it then leaves it on the floor and goes back to staring intently.

Occasionally she'll eat it so we'll cut another tiny piece which she wont touch despite happily eating the first piece.

She gets super excited about her lovely bland cat biscuits but not about fillet steak. Idiot cat.

Momo, too, does this.

The exception is any green, leafy thing. Cat has a murder boner for plants.

It's gotten to where instead of giving him dry kitty treats I keep a small container of (cat safe!) bean shoots. He loving loves them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Booger Presley posted:

I've been visiting the girls and establishing a routine of play and non-threatening presence.

Behold!
First contact with Luna.

Emma supervised.

the creation of adam

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Hi thread! Brand new foster here. I have always had cats, and most recently lost my best friend of 17 years. I joined the Board of Directors of a local cat non-profit and volunteered to foster until I ultimately fail, because I know it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when, and adopt one of my fosters.

I went to visit the shelter and had my heart set on this big beautiful black jaguar, but she was a little too hostile and I was a little too inexperienced to handle her. I ended up with one that is still a challenge but can be friendly enough. At the shelter, she was really hesitant to get pets, but once you started petting, she relaxed into it. I brought her home yesterday afternoon and she's pretty freaked out. I've been letting her hide since she got here, and she hasn't peed, eaten, or drunk (I think) since she arrived. I know that's sort of a cat thing, so I'm not super worried about it. Right now she's hiding under the bed toward the edge, and she doesn't run away when I peek at her. I haven't tried to pet her but I wonder when I should start. Should I wait until she's comfortable coming out of hiding? She definitely needs to be cajoled into contact, even in her comfort zone. I don't want to move too fast, but at the same time, I brought her home to socialize her and make her adoptable, and I'm going to have to get her used to me at some point. Should I give her another few days before trying to pet her? Also, if it's been, say, 3 days without a pee or whatnot, should I start to worry?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Gonna break this down a bit.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Should I wait until she's comfortable coming out of hiding? She definitely needs to be cajoled into contact, even in her comfort zone. I don't want to move too fast, but at the same time, I brought her home to socialize her and make her adoptable, and I'm going to have to get her used to me at some point. Should I give her another few days before trying to pet her?

You're doing this right, as far as I can tell. So much of this is just feeling the kitty out. Be mindful of your eyes. That's what the cat is focusing on. The best thing I've found for getting a cat acclimated is keeping your eyes trained on something else. Sit and read, and if/when the cat approaches you at all (which doesn't seem likely) keep reading. Keep doing what you're doing.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Also, if it's been, say, 3 days without a pee or whatnot, should I start to worry?

This is somewhat concerning but not terribly so. In short, you're just fostering. The organization your fostering through counts on you to notice unusual behavior like that. If you have a point person that you can contact there, and let them know, it's their job to decide what to do. If not? And you're kinda without support, cats can urinate at odd intervals. The poop is more important. We want to see solids going into the cat and solids coming out. Eating and crapping should happen at the very least every other day. If not, we've got some trouble.

What kind of situation are you in with your place of residence? Does kitty have its own room?

Good on you for fostering. Take pictures when you can!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Chili posted:

Gonna break this down a bit.

You're doing this right, as far as I can tell. So much of this is just feeling the kitty out. Be mindful of your eyes. That's what the cat is focusing on. The best thing I've found for getting a cat acclimated is keeping your eyes trained on something else. Sit and read, and if/when the cat approaches you at all (which doesn't seem likely) keep reading. Keep doing what you're doing.

This is somewhat concerning but not terribly so. In short, you're just fostering. The organization your fostering through counts on you to notice unusual behavior like that. If you have a point person that you can contact there, and let them know, it's their job to decide what to do. If not? And you're kinda without support, cats can urinate at odd intervals. The poop is more important. We want to see solids going into the cat and solids coming out. Eating and crapping should happen at the very least every other day. If not, we've got some trouble.

What kind of situation are you in with your place of residence? Does kitty have its own room?

Good on you for fostering. Take pictures when you can!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be more careful and "ignore" her when she finally deigns to come out of hiding. I did manage to pet her back end for a couple seconds before backing off. When I came back in later to make sure she was still in the room (I had left the door cracked), she growled at me, so I put the bag that she'd been hiding behind back in place and left her alone.

She just got here yesterday so I'm not super concerned about her eating and drinking, although I'm hoping when I'm gone she'll find herself hungry and thirsty and venture over to her food and water. I don't think it happened today, though, as the treats and food I left appear to be untouched. I do have a point person at the shelter, and being on the BOD I have a lot of resources to pull from.

She has her own room, sort of--she's in my bedroom/adjoining bathroom. There are no other pets and our apartment is relatively quiet. I wish I had better places for her to hide than under the bed, because sleeping on top of her makes me kind of nervous.

Edit: wanted to know where she was under the bed, so when I moved a box and found her, I stuck some wet food next to her and replaced the box. I can definitely hear some nibbling noises, but I don't want to bother her so I'll check the bowl in the morning to see what she's eaten. It's a relief to get some food in her, even though it's only been a day since she got here.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 1, 2017

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Cat helper story
Congrats on your new friend!

I've never fostered, so my experiences differ from Chili's but we've had success with three ferals and the common ingredient has been patience.

Your new friend just came from a shelter with many different neighbors, people, sounds and smells to your quiet, foreign room. Guessing a trip inside a cage in a car preceded this new environment, so there's a fair amount of stress and shock to be dealt with.

Right now she needs a safe place to process all of this which she's found, so let her have that space and wait for her on the floor in the other part of the room. Sit down, read, relax and ignore her.

This might take a while since you mentioned she was hesitant to get pets at the shelter. That was a known environment and she was still cautious so this new one may take time.

Just be calm, quiet and patient and she'll see you aren't a threat once she adjusts to all of new stresses around her.

Another thing that really helps cats adjust is posting pics of them in the Butterscotch thread!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Booger Presley posted:

Another thing that really helps cats adjust is posting pics of them in the Butterscotch thread!

I have heard this helps as well. yeah just get an ipad or a book and just hang out in the same space, just let kitty acclimate to having a person around, it'll come around.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Maggie Fletcher posted:

She has her own room, sort of--she's in my bedroom/adjoining bathroom. There are no other pets and our apartment is relatively quiet. I wish I had better places for her to hide than under the bed, because sleeping on top of her makes me kind of nervous.

Edit: wanted to know where she was under the bed, so when I moved a box and found her, I stuck some wet food next to her and replaced the box. I can definitely hear some nibbling noises, but I don't want to bother her so I'll check the bowl in the morning to see what she's eaten. It's a relief to get some food in her, even though it's only been a day since she got here.

When I first got Snicket she hid under the bed almost constantly for three weeks. After six days in my tiny studio apartment, she started to come out for occasional scritchies, mostly at 6:45 AM for a duration of exactly 20 minutes. It took her a while to realize that this was her new permanent home and that she was safe here. Her previous home of 5 years had changed rather abruptly with a new baby added to the mix. There was also a cat with a "big personality" who bullied her. She was also having some food allergy issues and came to me with a rather nasty rash and fur falling out. She was loved in her previous home, but it just wasn't a good fit for her. When I first got her, I was afraid that I had ended up with a permanently broken cat who would just slink around the apartment like a ghost.

After a month, I realized that wasn't the case, and after 6 months, we were pretty much inseparable. I've had her 4.5 years, and she's become a really great companion. We had a little bit of a bad span about 9 months ago when her kidneys decided to poo poo the bed, but that's another story.

Solar charging:

Here she is expressing disappointment that I left her alone for 12 hours.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for the responses, guys. Overnight she came out of hiding twice that I know of--once to skitter around the room (she poked her nose into the bathroom but didn't bother with the food and water I left there) and once to use the litter box. Poor thing had been holding it for a long time, because she peed forever.

This morning I checked on the wet food and she had just nibbled a bit, so I left her some fresh food in her hiding place and left her alone. The fact that she came out twice while I was there, I'm considering progress. I'm hoping she'll feel comfortable enough to eat and drink while I'm at work.

I'll post pics as soon as I can get a good shot of her. She really is quite beautiful, with very soft fur. Her markings make her look like she's smirking.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Overnight she came out of hiding twice that I know of--once to skitter around the room (she poked her nose into the bathroom but didn't bother with the food and water I left there) and once to use the litter box. Poor thing had been holding it for a long time, because she peed forever.

This morning I checked on the wet food and she had just nibbled a bit, so I left her some fresh food in her hiding place and left her alone. The fact that she came out twice while I was there, I'm considering progress. I'm hoping she'll feel comfortable enough to eat and drink while I'm at work.

I'll post pics as soon as I can get a good shot of her. She really is quite beautiful, with very soft fur. Her markings make her look like she's smirking.

Yes. That is 100% progress. Also, a thing I've notice help with exceptionally skittish cats is to be mindful of how you enter the room. I'm sure you're not flying in or anything. But I've found that just cracking the door open and holding it there for a few moments takes a lot of the surprise off of you entering.

Anyway, keep on going!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am obligated to share my friend's doggo here.

The best of doggos. :3:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Alteisen posted:

;3; the best of doggos, 12/10, will pat and kiss on the snoz.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Alteisen posted:

That is the BEST doggo! <3

Foster update: I hear her skittering around at night, and she found a new hiding spot. I'm just happy she's not under the bed anymore! It's one of those cheap IKEA deals and I'm terrified the slats are going to fall through someday. I have a bunch of plastic bins and I think I'm going to slide them under the bed in places where, if the slats do fall through, they'll land on a bin and not kitty's noggin. I'm also going to head to Trader Joe's and see if they have any of their Tuna For Cats, just so I can get a little something in her. As of now she's only barely touching her wet food, but maybe something smellier will tempt her.

I know it's only been a couple of days but even if she doesn't want to come out of hiding, I would like her to eat and drink a little something.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm also going to head to Trader Joe's and see if they have any of their Tuna For Cats, just so I can get a little something in her.

I hope that works but I have yet to see any cat ever touch that surg. Even Butterscotch turns his nose up at it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Chili posted:

I hope that works but I have yet to see any cat ever touch that surg. Even Butterscotch turns his nose up at it.

Oh really? I've never tried it but another friend who fosters swears by it. A coworker mentioned something called "Fussy Cat" which is essentially the same thing. Thoughts/experiences?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Oh really? I've never tried it but another friend who fosters swears by it. A coworker mentioned something called "Fussy Cat" which is essentially the same thing. Thoughts/experiences?

normal canned tuna in water always is my go to "oh so you arent hungry eh?"

just drain it mostly

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Mine are fans of bonito flakes and dried sardines. Might work if you have either on hand for Japanese and Korean cooking. The sardines at least tend to be cheaper and o haven't found a cat who will reject them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Mine are fans of bonito flakes and dried sardines. Might work if you have either on hand for Japanese and Korean cooking. The sardines at least tend to be cheaper and o haven't found a cat who will reject them.

ooh you just reminded me i have smoked oysters and sardine omg this evening is going to be awesome albeit unkissable

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

normal canned tuna in water always is my go to "oh so you arent hungry eh?"

just drain it mostly

Yup. This. It's more money but if you're looking for good odds that it'll get eaten, chunk light in water is my go to.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Ain't never met a cat that wouldn't climb a leg for chunk light. A little bite here and there will be OK. And certainly OK if you have to pull out the big tasty guns.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

My boys go loving nuts for just the tuna juice, and sometimes when I'm making tuna salad I'll pour the juice over their regular food. Mr. Hobbes, who had a kidney infarction and is very thin, is super picky about food but if I put juice on it he'd eat a rock.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

porkswordonboard posted:

My boys go loving nuts for just the tuna juice, and sometimes when I'm making tuna salad I'll pour the juice over their regular food. Mr. Hobbes, who had a kidney infarction and is very thin, is super picky about food but if I put juice on it he'd eat a rock.

Mine are the same way.

Meat based baby food, freeze dried shrimp (which you can snag for cheap at your local Asian market), and bonito flakes are also a big hit.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I've used sardine juice and chicken or turkey baby food to get my old cat to eat, but she was pretty sick (and the food messed up her stomach). This cat is healthy but reticent; I think if tuna for cats doesn't work, regular canned tuna or salmon will. I'm not gonna give her the whole can or anything, just enough to get something in her and maybe make her realize I'm not the enemy. Will report back.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I've used sardine juice and chicken or turkey baby food to get my old cat to eat, but she was pretty sick (and the food messed up her stomach). This cat is healthy but reticent; I think if tuna for cats doesn't work, regular canned tuna or salmon will. I'm not gonna give her the whole can or anything, just enough to get something in her and maybe make her realize I'm not the enemy. Will report back.

Mo lived a long time and he almost hit legal drinking age and i gave him a can of tuna every year on his birthday

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
My cat is broken and doesn't recognize tuna or its juice as food, same with fresh salmon and basically any other meat. She prefers cardboard.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tendai posted:

My cat is broken and doesn't recognize tuna or its juice as food, same with fresh salmon and basically any other meat. She prefers cardboard.

Sounds like my Kiwi, I sometimes have to stick his face in food for him to recognize it.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
If the cat tuna doesn't work, Trader Joes has no salt added tuna, which is preferable to the regular kind because too much salt is not good for kitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I guess it's about rescuing:

Every once in a while, I notice a cat walking around in our neighborhood, and being completely unable to own cats, I have no real idea if I should be concerned. The thing doesn't look like what I figure a feral cat should look like (doesn't look super thin, coat seems fine, not hobbling around or anything), but time/weather wise it always seems like a red flag. Like, I saw it today when it was post-sundown and the temps were barely above freezing where I live.

I don't know what I should do - or what I can do, because even if I nabbed the thing, I can't keep it in my apartment because it would trigger my allergies/asthma for months just being there - but I could just be overthinking it because I read this thread constantly about folks picking up abandoned pets. Do I call animal control the next time I see it? Chase it and see where it tries to gently caress off to?