Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Why are sealer bags (often?) cross hatched on one side? I don't like the marks on my food.

In a food saver bag, the air is sucked out from inside the bag, causing low air pressure inside the bag. The air outside of the bag is still high pressure, so it squeezes the bag and smushes the bag and food together. If your food creates a seal, there could be trapped air bubbles that stay inside the bag when it gets heat sealed. The cross-hatching pattern acts like straws that the air can escape through when food blocks the way.

A chamber vacuum doesn't need the cross-hatching because the entire chamber gets its air removed. Because the air inside the bag and outside the bag are low pressure, the bag doesn't get smushed into the food, and whatever air was inside the bag can easily escape with the rest of the air inside the chamber. Once it seals and the chamber is repressurized, the bag gets smushed, but it doesn't matter because the air inside the bag has already been removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

In a food saver bag, the air is sucked out from inside the bag, causing low air pressure inside the bag. The air outside of the bag is still high pressure, so it squeezes the bag and smushes the bag and food together. If your food creates a seal, there could be trapped air bubbles that stay inside the bag when it gets heat sealed. The cross-hatching pattern acts like straws that the air can escape through when food blocks the way.

That's what I said. gently caress you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That is exactly what you said, yes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bum The Sad posted:

A chamber vacuum doesn't need the cross-hatching because the entire chamber gets its air removed. Because the air inside the bag and outside the bag are low pressure, the bag doesn't get smushed into the food, and whatever air was inside the bag can easily escape with the rest of the air inside the chamber. Once it seals and the chamber is repressurized, the bag gets smushed, but it doesn't matter because the air inside the bag has already been removed.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

That is exactly what you said, yes.
Correct.

BrianBoitano posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

Thank you.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

I think that's the gimmick of food saver. It provides channels for air to escape or some poo poo.

It acts like corrugated cardboard, allowing air to be pulled out through those "holes". When the bag has been pulled down to a sufficient vacuum, the heater strips melt the bag such that it closes up those "holes", sealing it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do not recommend sous viding in corrugated cardboard boxes

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

atothesquiz posted:

It acts like corrugated cardboard, allowing air to be pulled out through those "holes". When the bag has been pulled down to a sufficient vacuum, the heater strips melt the bag such that it closes up those "holes", sealing it.

You act like corrugated cardboard.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do not recommend sous viding in corrugated cardboard boxes

but sous viding corrugated cardboard boxes produces amazing results.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

atothesquiz posted:

but sous viding corrugated cardboard boxes produces amazing results.

I tried it at 165 for an hour and wasn't happy with the texture. Would a lower temp and longer time help get rid of the unpleasant chewiness?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I heard if you leave it in over night it might turn green because of cellulose bacteria.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

kittenmittons posted:

I tried it at 165 for an hour and wasn't happy with the texture. Would a lower temp and longer time help get rid of the unpleasant chewiness?

It's high in cellulose. you actually want to try it at 185.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
You'll want to dip it in a pot of boiling water real quick first to help reduce any chance of green.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If I'm cooking my corrugated box from frozen how much time should I add?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I tried the blowtorch method on my corrugated cardboard and I just couldn't get the flavor I wanted out of it. :(

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

Another thing you could do is sous vide them one night, pull them out and transfer to an ice bath then refrigerate. The next night all you have to do is pull them out, throw them in the bath for 30 minutes to warm them up if you want, then sear.

One of the better things I've done sous vide is to do 5 packets of long-cook short ribs, water bath them, then freeze 4. Now when I want 60+ hour short ribs for dinner on a weekday, I take a pack out, throw it in the bath for 90 minutes, and done.

It's almost time to make another batch, come to think of it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Kalista posted:

One of the better things I've done sous vide is to do 5 packets of long-cook short ribs, water bath them, then freeze 4. Now when I want 60+ hour short ribs for dinner on a weekday, I take a pack out, throw it in the bath for 90 minutes, and done.

It's almost time to make another batch, come to think of it.

Ding ding ding. I do this whenever my favored grocery has short ribs at 2.99/lb -- have to buy about 10lb at once but, after accounting for trimming and bones, that's 10 two-person meals.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So I tried the egg bites with just lightly whisked eggs instead of blended ones. The texture is not really different in any way, and it was a pain in the rear end to portion out. I will not bother doing it this way again and will blend them. Cracking eggs into the jars without breaking the yolk should be pretty easy, but I find that a single egg isn't enough to fill a jar even with veggies, sausage, and cheese in there already.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I decided I wanna do shortribs for an Oscar party tomorrow. Anyone got a good temp for 24 hour shortribs? They're all over the map online.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

How do people finish long cook short ribs? Do they hold their shade well enough to sear?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I sear or shallow fry

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I pre-sear and go directly from bag to platter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Another thing you could do is sous vide them one night, pull them out and transfer to an ice bath then refrigerate. The next night all you have to do is pull them out, throw them in the bath for 30 minutes to warm them up if you want, then sear.

I didn't see this post until now but this is exactly what I ended up doing and it came out perfectly! This is going to be my new go-to method.

Unrelated: does anyone have a great squid or octopus recipe for the puddle? My daughter is wild for both but I've never been able to get them right via non-vizzle methods.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man I just did 12 hour pork belly at 167 degrees. That was the most delicious fat I've ever had, and I normally don't like it at all, I usually cut it off of steak because it's not rendered soft enough. This texture was just amazing though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.facebook.com/cookmellow/

I haven't been following it, but from what I gather from their facebook a fall 2016 ship date came and went, and then they announced in December they were partnering with a new company to manufacture the product

It's really too bad about mellow. I happen to know a plastics expert and referred the Mellow goon their way months ago. The problem they have is solvable but it's not easy. Assuming the giant piece of temperature malleable plastic and getting it to hold shape across heat and cold cycles is indeed still the problem...

The manufacturer might be a good scapegoat but the problem isn't just the plastics factory.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Ciaphas posted:

(just made a batch of chicken wings for its inaugural cooking, aaagggg so good)

Did you sous vide the wings before putting them in the fryer?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I puddled a leg of lamb (from frozen) at 135 for about seven hours yesterday. After I took it out I patted it very dry, seasoned it generously with salt and pepper (I had halved the leg of lamb and frozen them in two separate vacuum bags), and seared it all around in my cast iron pan with canola oil. It came out an absolutely gorgeous medium rare with a nice crust and was delicious.

I think the next one I may defrost, unbag, stuff with garlic and rosemary, season it with salt and pepper, and rebag it before the water bath. Should have done this before I bagged and froze them in the first place.

I'd have pics, but I ate almost the whole thing in one evening.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I bought my anova in october, so i'm still very new at all of this. I've done maybe a dozen meals with it thus far, but i noticed today it was making odd sounds.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpmX-4hiWg&feature=youtu.be The corner of the bag is not inside the unit at all. I honestly haven't paid much attention to it while it does its thing. Water is between the min/max levels. Is this normal? And if anyone is curious, its just chicken breasts with some salt/pepper coated with an infused garlic olive oil and some thyme sprigs. Nothing fancy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Crunkjuice posted:

I bought my anova in october, so i'm still very new at all of this. I've done maybe a dozen meals with it thus far, but i noticed today it was making odd sounds.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpmX-4hiWg&feature=youtu.be The corner of the bag is not inside the unit at all. I honestly haven't paid much attention to it while it does its thing. Water is between the min/max levels. Is this normal? And if anyone is curious, its just chicken breasts with some salt/pepper coated with an infused garlic olive oil and some thyme sprigs. Nothing fancy.

Video is private

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Steve Yun posted:

Video is private

Woops, bad at youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpmX-4hiWg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Crunkjuice posted:

Whaaaat the fuuuuuuck

Should be under warranty right? Go get an exchange

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Huh? That looks like air injected into the water? ... Send them a link and ask for a replacement. You did use the minimum amount of water, did you?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My anova def sucks air into the water like that unless there's a healthy level of water above the minimum line.

I never considered it a defect, putting another 1/2" water in the cooler isn't a big deal (for me) :shrug:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 4, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My anova does the same thing if the water level is a bit low. Definitely had it happen when it was still above the minimum fill like.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I picked up a really nicely marbled blade roast today and I'm trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I've cut it down the middle into two even portions, about 2-2.5 inches in thickness. One will be frozen for another time.
I imagine this would be best suited to a longer cook, but what would be the best time/temp to take advantage of the marbling? Should I do a lower temp for a more traditional steak/roast texture, or would it be best to go higher for something closer to a short rib/braise?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Dacap posted:

I picked up a really nicely marbled blade roast today and I'm trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I've cut it down the middle into two even portions, about 2-2.5 inches in thickness. One will be frozen for another time.
I imagine this would be best suited to a longer cook, but what would be the best time/temp to take advantage of the marbling? Should I do a lower temp for a more traditional steak/roast texture, or would it be best to go higher for something closer to a short rib/braise?

I dunno, I don't think I'd even want to bag up blade that marbled. I'd want to slow roast it, I think.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I dunno, I don't think I'd even want to bag up blade that marbled. I'd want to slow roast it, I think.

I'm open to that. What would you think, roast at 200 or so to temp then sear?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Dacap posted:

I'm open to that. What would you think, roast at 200 or so to temp then sear?

Yeah, 90-100C for six-odd hours, then 15 minutes at 220 for crust and to put them juices in the pan.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
On one of the I assume temperature probes on my anova, it's developing a yellow powder/coating? Oddly the heater parts aren't, and the second probe (there's a long one and a short one) isn't doing it.

Seems really strange. Electrolysis? Would the two probes be made out of dissimilar metals so one would react and the other wouldn't? Or one is grounded and the other isn't? What the heck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What's the mineral content of your water like?