Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +5hr on planet
The group drops their packs and takes stock of the base. Dr. Lawry locates the medical supplies which include a well-stocked set of first aid kits though not quite enough for field surgery if the need were to arise. Hopefully it won't. The lab and data collection tools are top notch though so she should have no trouble collecting samples of nearly any type and or quantity.

The bootprints here are quite fresh and Capt. Tash notes that it looks like someone showed up, paced around the supply containers, and then left heading directly east.

As Dr. Ross sets her gear down and rolls her shoulders to work out the knots, she hears a voice speaking non-english, and then hears it again a moment later so she's quite sure it isn't a mistake, a good way off to the east.

----
Dr. Ross crushed the perception roll so is the first person to notice something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Josephine Lawry - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

"Nothing fancy," Jo says to Jacob. "Just vitals. Wanted to make sure no one was reacting oddly. I just don't know what to expect here. You volunteering to be first?"

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Dr. Alexandra Ross - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Dr. Ross is just starting to take a look at the equipment, when she cocks her head.

"Do you all hear that? Is someone else here?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

No sooner had he let his PDW hang by the buckle did Dr. Ross announce a noise. In a flash, he's back to a ready position, a quick, quiet call to the Master Sergeant to bring him to alert, too. "Gonna have to wait, Doc. Ross, what've you got?" Doing a quick sweep of the treeline, his work-centric paranoia continues to process threats.

And you thought it was going to be a cakewalk? You slack off, people die.

Search 7 vs. 13

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 24, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Kurt motions for people to get quiet. Whispering "If we can hear them they can hear us, so let's keep are voices down. I knew from the tracks that our visitor wasn't long gone, wasn't expecting that to mean 'still in earshot'. There was only one set of prints here, so either our visitor is talking to himself or more likely he was scouting for a group, so let's take this slow. I still want to talk to these people if they're natives, so let's not be too aggressive here unless the situation escalates. Slight change of plans, Lieutenant, Sergeant you're with me on point, the rest of you take cover behind the trees at the edge of the clearing to provide some cover if things go wrong. If they're close enough to hear we won't be too split up and I'd rather you stay out of the thick of things until we assess the situation.

Remember, nothing too hostile, keep quiet, let's just see what we're dealing with."

You've still been using the Goa'uld tower locale El Spamo if you haven't noticed (unless we've been matrixed and you're not being subtle about it :v:).

As we head to the east I'll keep an eye on the area for best cover/fallback routes if it becomes an issue, other just approach quietly and see what's what.

Approaching the voices east of camp. Stealth (10), Tactics (11): 2#3d6 7 8

10 and 11? Clearly I've found where I need to spend xp, that's barely average!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Dr. Alexandra Ross - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

"It wasn't English, I'm pretty sure about that," she whispers, as she scurries behind something big.

Was it Goa'Uld, and if so, was it clear enough for her to tell what was said?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Whoops! That's my copy-paste mistake, I'll have that fixed.
Dr Ross: it's not Goa'uld, it sounds... slavic?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo jerks up and snatches up her rifle, then, thinking quickly, grabs a small pair of binoculars out of her things as well. "I'll radio if I see something, Captain," she says, darting towards cover.

Is there a spot north or south I could sneak and observe eastward? Not being aggressive about it.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

With a nod, Jake lets his firearm hang, drawing his taser. With a whistle to the McGriddles, he takes point in the stack, ready to move on the Captain's go.

Search 12 vs. 13

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Michael Grey - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Mike nods in understanding, and takes his place alongside the Captain. He strains to listen for the natives, but all he hears is the wind.

looking for natives Perception : 3d6 14 target 13.
Stealth: 3d6 5 Target 11
At least I'm quiet.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - SGC Base Camp P6T-313: +5hr on planet
The team spreads out. The scientific element withdraws back to the far side of the base camp and takes cover amongst sturdy trees and waits. The forest now seems very quiet as everyone has ceased any idle chatter.

The rest move east and prepare to meet some strangers. McGriddles is on the job and suddenly alerts. His nose twitches and his ears swivel forward locking on to something that only a dog can hear and smell. He tenses and breathes heavily, but like a good dog waits for a command. To the side, Lt. Grey melts into the undergrowth and all but disappearing behind some bushes.

Captain Tash motions for a slow advance forwards to see who the visitors are. Perhaps it's his trained birdwatcher eye that catches sight of some motion about 50 yards ahead. The picture is nearly comical. Behind a cluster of bushes and a fallen log bobs a trio of decorated speartips. The spear-wielders are well concealed, but for some reason they forgot that the tips of their weapons are taller than their cover. The speartips scurry to the next bit of cover, and collect and wobble as though conversing before moving closer yet again.

----
Capt. Tash's turn to be the perception superstar.
McGriddles is also aware and awaiting command.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

Seeing the cluster of spears headed their direction Kurt motions for the others to halt. Whispering into the radio, "Eyes on three of them attempting to sneak toward camp. Definitely don't appear to be Jaffa. Think it's time to make contact. Cover me, but unless they are actively impaling me with spears hold fire."

Kurt moves quietly forward to the whatever the most convenient clearing-like area between the natives and his team, and steps out of cover, and gives a cheerful "Hello!"

As I can see no compelling reason to roll to suppress my Xenophilia and they definitely seem to be natives, it's time to just be be open about this. I'll keep my gun on its sling and step out with open hands to seem less threatening and if possible keep the radio channel open since unless these guys speak English I'm going to need some help from the rest of the gang.

Stealth (10), Diplomacy (12) because why not: 2#3d6 6 10

Just to keep options open/things moving, assuming these guys aren't murderous cannibals I'll give permission over the radio for others to come forward to speak if they know the language

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

At the staticy bark from her radio, Jo readies her rifle and stays patient. It wasn't the usual meet-and-greet she was used to, but they didn't have much to worry about here. As long as they were prepared.

Whatever Ready actions I need go here!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

As soon as the Captain's hands go up, he drops to a knee, taking the short lead on the Master Sergeant's harness and transitioning the taser to a low ready in his left hand. "Good eyes, boy - eeeeasy, now." Keeping a firm grip, he doesn't exactly drop his tension - a spear is still a weapon, and for all the experience the Captain has, anything can go wrong when cut off from home.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Everyone holds their breath as Captain Tash takes the initiative to make first contact with the natives. He advances forwards into an open space between some trees, while the locals continue to creep forward unaware of his presence until he stands up and announces himself.

The reaction from the locals is instant and energetic. The three that were leading the group leap out of the bushes and fall back behind nearby trees. Further back, three more locals make their presence known as they move quickly to take cover. It's hard to make out clearly what they're saying but Michael Grey can tell that the language sounds like Russian. He figures he could communicate given a calm moment of conversation.

Captain Tash keeps his cool while the locals prepare for a Goa'uld like response. A tense moment passes while they size up the unfamiliar person standing in the open. When the SG-13 leader takes no hostile action, the locals go from a fearful reaction to a cautious curiousity. They quietly converse between each other, still too indistinct for Lt. Grey to figure out what they're saying. But the body language is clear that they're taking the peaceful invitation. One of them boldly steps out from behind the tree he was hiding behind and into full view of Captain Tash and the rest of the team. The young man is dressed in sturdy-looking leather and cloth clothing, colored to blend in with the forest around him. His hair is dark and long, and his face is broad and full-cheeked. His spear is held at the ready in one hand, tip pointed in the air. He approaches Captain Tash until he is a dozen feet away.

"Кто ты? Что ты здесь делаешь? Это наш лес, только боги и их слуги путешествуют здесь, и вы не похожи на слуг льва."

Lt. Grey can overhear a couple of words clearly: <Who ... ...? What ... ... ... here? This ... ... ..., ... ... Gods ... ... servants ... ..., ... you ... ... look ... ... Lion ....>

----
Contact made! There are six locals total, so far one that's bold enough to engage with the team.
Michael Grey can understand what they're saying, but just needs a moment to focus on the language differences to break the barrier and clearly communicate. Put another way, he can communicate if he converses directly with the locals but it'll take time for him to put it together if he stays hidden in the bushes.

Everyone else is nearby and in their chosen state of readiness.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

So far, so good. The language was over his head and above his pay grade, but he knew body language and tension, and the situation seemed to be calming a little. Keeping a tight grip, he lays his weapon down beside McGriddles, a quick scruff behind the ear to calm the pup a little. Enough to keep him ready, but not fully primed.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

"Captain, pretty sure it's Russian. I think they are asking who we are, and if we serve the Lion God. I am going to step out of cover now, it will be quicker to translate."
Mike breaks cover slowly and with his hands empty smiling in what he hopes is a non-threatening manner, "привет, мы приветствуем вас в покое, мы путешествовали издалека."

"hello, we greet you in peace, We have travelled from afar."

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 6, 2017

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The rifle is quickly stowed as Jo goes back to her binocs. "Russian?" she mumbles into the comm. "Is that Russian? What the hell."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Well, that went about as well as he could have hoped. But Russian? That's new. Kurt nods at Michael as he emerges from the bushes.

"Wasn't expecting the Russian. Use your best judgment on the topic of the Lion, I can't imagine they're fans from what we've seen, but let's not put our foot in our mouthes if we've misinterpreted. If you can get it through to them, it's probably worth letting them know there's more of us around to avoid any surprises and, since they obviously know it's there, see if you can invite them back to camp so we can sit and chat like civilized folks rather than skulking around behind trees."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

The local looks surprised as you answer him back in something resembling his own language. He furrows his brow and then responds in a slower manner, working out some of the differences between Earth-Russian and his own native tongue.

"Where are you from? Why are you here? You're not dressed like anyone I've met, and I've even met the Gods from the Chapa'ai."

The last word is in Goa'uld, which Dr. Milton and Ross pick up on. He then switches languages fully to Goa'uld.

"Or are you servants of the Gods of the Chapa'ai?"

----
Status quo for the moment. I'll speed up my posting to facilitate conversation.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

b]Michael Grey - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station [/b]

Mike switches to Goa'uld, and thinks hope these guys don't love the snakes, or this conversation could get pointed quickly.

"We travelled through the stargate. Please come with me, we can sit in our camp, and learn from each other. We come from a world that the gods of the Chapa'ai have no power. "

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

"Then you are not servants of the Lion? That's impossible, none but the Gods' own may safely walk through the Chapa'ai. All others are struck down."

He ponders for a moment.
"Very well, a few moments of talk can't hurt."
He switches back to his native language.
"Vuski, Hak, Jolo, come here! The owners of the treasure want to talk! Maybe they'll share if you're nice."

Three similarly dressed locals rise into view and approach Kurt and Michael. Two more hang back and watch warily from a distance.

"These are my friends. My name is Pasko."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

"My name is Michael, This is Kurt. Pasko, do the servants of the Lion come here often?"

Michael switches to english, "Okay they are coming in to talk, and are nervous. They think only Goa'uld can go through the stargate. Sounds like 4 total."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Captain," Dr. Lawry says into the radio, "I'm gonna guess you want us all back at camp to meet the newcomers. If you want a spotter or a sniper to stay hidden, say the word." She stows her things and heads back to the camp, so recently found and promptly abandoned.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"Excellent work Lieutenant."

Over the radio, "In case anyone missed it, our guests are coming to camp. Four will be with us, looks like a couple others are a bit too nervous to join for now. I don't think a spotter staying hidden will be necessary unless someone just has no interest in saying hi- as I don't speak the language I'll have time to keep an eye on things between translations anyway."

Kurt gestures grandly in the direction of camp, "This way gentlemen!" and leads the way back.

Have we seen any reasonably sized logs or the like that could be drug in as impromptu benches?

Sorry for the delay, missed the update then this fell to the second page of my bookmarks.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

So I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, and will be limited in my times to post, just giving a heads up. To keep things rolling, just assume Mike translates for those that can not speak Goa'uld or English. And doesn't add to the conversatioon. I'll be back from vacation on the 26th.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Thanks for the update, have a great vacation!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Tensions relax, and it's clear that nobody is going to ruin the afternoon everybody gathers at the SGC base camp and stands in the cleared area at the center. The four locals stand clustered together and look over the SGC team with a cautious eye. It's quite clear to those with an eye for diplomatic interactions that they're at best unfamiliar and at worst fearful of people dressed strangely. Despite their discomfort they are present and engaged.

One of them, Hak, points at the SGC equipment containers and mumbles to Pasko. Lt. Grey quickly translates. "He's asking if those are the chests of treasure that Pasko found."

Pasko nods and motions for his friend to stay quiet. "The servants of the Lion don't bother to make greetings when they're encountered." he says, in Goa'uld. "They simply appear and kidnap, or take vengeance for trespassing on their holy sites. I found this place, and the treasures here while out hunting. I brought my friends to claim them. I didn't know it was your cache, I suppose I should offer our apology for disturbing it."

One of his friends coughs pointedly. He then thumps his forehead with his palm. "I am without manners! Here, a token to show our remorse."
Pasko reaches into a pocket on his jacket and pulls out an small, intricately carved box. Inside is a primitive but well made fire-starting kit including tinder, some wax, flint, and steel. He offers this to Kurt.

"Or, if you're willing to share some of your bounty, we're on our way to the lake lands and would be happy to accept a gift to wish us well on our journey."

----
Diplomacy rolls passed, everyone's calm and pleasant here.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
[quote="Azhais" post="470165067"]

Kurt accepts the gift and pauses for a moment to admire the engraving.

"Thank you for this gift, it is both beautiful and practical. Unfortunately these", Kurt gestures toward the crates, "belong to my chief and are not mine to give, but this is."

Kurt unstraps his personal bushcraft knife from his belt and presents it to Pasko.

"This has served me well in all of my journeys. May it do the same for you."

With pleasantries exchanged, Kurt plops down on his pack.

"It has been a tense day's hiking. We came across one of the Lion's structures earlier this morning." Kurt waves his hand vaguely in the general direction of the goa'uld tower, "Her servants wouldn't take our trespassing any better than yours. Is there anything you can tell us of the area? These crates were left by others of our tribe, so this is my first time here. Anything you can share of the Lion's servant's activities or holy sites we should avoid would be most welcome."

It pains Kurt a bit to give up his knife, the survival blade in the SGC kit isn't nearly as nice, but a $400 knife is a small price to pay for diplomacy

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"We can at least share some food, too," Jo says, breaking open one of the foil packs containing chocolate. They had been a staple in army kits for years, and SGC had continued the tradition. Now seemed as good a time as any. She steps toward the locals, eating one of the squares in front of them to demonstrate, and offering others to them.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Glad to finally stand at relative ease, a quick slap on the side should let the Master Sergeant know that everything's ok. Holstering and hanging, Jake sets about doing a casual perimeter check as McGriddles gets a chance to hang loose.

Jake's not versed in many languages, so he's a little out of his league here. He'll keep an eye on things, but do his best not to interfere.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Pasko's eyes open wide at the gift of the knife. Something so well made is rare in a nomadic society such as his, and the hunter's body language shifts to a reverent stance. Hak, Jolo, and Vuski gather around and gaze at the knife. They chatter in their native tongue before Pasko waves them off.

"Thank you, this is a fine gift. I know now that we are true friends" he says. Kurt and Pasko and Grey get comfortable as they talk at length about the Lion's presence on this world.

"You are lucky that the Lion's minions did not catch you trespassing on their temples. The smaller ones aren't so important that they're defended night and day, but the Lion is all seeing and may yet visit woe upon you. Which one did you find? To the west? That one is the closest to the Chapa'ai. We all avoid it, and the others, but sometimes the youths with more daring than sense will try to touch the golden stone and get away unnoticed. The Lion takes those idiots when she comes for her vengeance. More dangerous are the ancient ruins nearby that the Lion guards with a terrible jealousy. I would favor avoiding this valley if not for how easy it is to traverse on our way from summer to winter grounds, and all we have to do is not anger the Lion. On our spring journey, one of the young idiots decided that he would trespass. Such a guarded site MUST have something worth seeing, right? He never returned. They never do, and the Lion's servants will haunt these forests for months afterwards. Thankfully, they've not seen it necessary to trouble us in some time. I hope that your arrival does not portent their return."

"Now, tell me of your home. What lies on the other side of the Chapa'ai?"

Meanwhile, Jolo, Hak, and Vuski try to make friends with the rest of the team. With Michael translating for Capt. Tash, it's a bit rougher, but Ross and Milton both speak Goa'uld and so do the three, brokenly.

Jolo accepts the chocolate from Dr. Lawry. "Thank", and then his eyes light up as he tastes it. "Ничего себе, это невероятно! Он сладкий, как мед, но твердый, как печенье! Вуски, попробуй это." Vuski comes over and tries a bite of the chocolate, with a similar reaction. "Here, try this. Our treat." he says and digs in his pack for cloth wrapped bit of food that looks like a granola bar made with an assortment of local seeds nuts and dried fruits, and bound together with a sticky substance. It smells sweet and earthy.

Hak follows Jacob as he starts his walk around the perimeter. McGriddles walks up and sniffs the man, who stares back at the dog. "Это твой питомец?" he asks Jacob.

----
Well, a nice gift like that will certainly buy you a lot of information and goodwill. Chocolate too.

The other hunters are very curious, and I assumed a bit of translation help from Milton and Ross where it made sense. Jolo, Hak, and Vuski all speak broken Goa'uld.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jake quirks his head as the native addresses him. Glancing around, he feels a bit out of his element - he wasn't versed in Russian in the slightest, never mind an otherworldly dialect of it! Assuming he's asking about the dog, he takes a knee beside, ruffling between the ears to show he's safe. Turning a hand palm-upward to... Hak, was his name? - to indicate that it should be safe to do the same. Pointing to himself, he identifies himself: "Jake." Then to the Master Sergeant: "McGriddles." Then to the native. "Hak?"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Hak nods, "Da, Hak." He bends over towards the MSgt and reaches out a hand to rub his head. McGriddles backs away from the strange hand and sits almost behind Jacob. He gives his handler a confused look. Hak is dismayed and stands back upright. "Почему ваш питомец смущен? Он хочет есть?" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out what looks like a chunk of dried meat. "McGriddles, Вы хотите перекусить?"

Google translate english->russian->english is goddamn hilarious

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Snickering a little, he kneels beside the Master Sergeant, rubbing the back of his neck to reassure him. "It's ok, bud! He's just saying hi." Reaching for the offered food, he takes a sniff before offering a sniff to the pup. Looking back up to Hak, he shrugs.

Trying to behave and not translate!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"Parts of our home are very much like here, " Kurt says, gesturing to the forest around them, "not as much of it as I would like, but it is there. More and more of our people are clustered into large communities. Noisy and dirty and they do not honor the forests and open places as much as they should."

Kurt pauses for a moment to watch the wind rustle through the trees before getting back to business.

"Please, tell us more of the Lion if you can. We were not expecting to find her servants here. The others that left these supplies here did not find any of her temples, so what I was hoping would be a nice walk through the woods has turned a little more worrying. My people came into conflict with some of her father's servants, which is the main reason we have braved the Chapa'ai- looking for anything that might help us defend our people. Do her servants have a camp here, or do they always come through the ring? We found the golden tower following some very old tracks of what seemed to be a group of about six of them but we did not see where they came from.

Also, those ruins you mentioned. Our friends reported that they saw an old city a fair distance to the North, is that what you are referring to? Do you have any idea who used to live there, or why the Lion cares so much about it?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo accepts the treat in return, nodding appreciatively. It was like chewing on a rock at first, but eventually breaks down, tasting raw and homemade the way SGC cafeteria food or rations never did. It was likely more of a trail ration than a treat, but Jo finds she likes it. She smiles and mimcs their way of saying "thank." It was tastier than the last time she tried to make homemade energy bars, anyway.

She leans back, listening to the conversation that she only partially understood. Instead, she examines the visitors, trying to see if they exhibited any ailments.

Medically, how do these folks look? Diagnose 12 vs 14, dunno what kind of penalties I have just looking. Physician is also 14.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - SGC Base Camp P6T-313: +5.5hr on planet

Pasko chuckles. "Yes, get too many people together and they make a mess. How many in a camp of yours? A half a dozen hundred? Two hands of a hundred? I can't say we honor the forests like you do. The Lion dogs our heels when we trespass and punishes the wicked and virtuous alike. All the other gods have long since left us."

He pauses to take a drink from his canteen before continuing.

"There is no such thing as a quiet walk through the woods in this valley. The Lion claimed the lands around the Chapa'ai as a realm to which she must be honored and feared. From the summer lakes that way to the river where we overwinter, this valley and the Lion demand we pay obeisance as we pass. It was the Lion that first set us on the lakes and rivers and spoke the laws that her golden temples would not be touched, nor the ancient buildings in this valley. In exchange, she would bless and lift up the best of us to her golden throne. Should we trespass, she would take their lives as payment instead. I don't know if there's anything here that we can offer you to defend yourself from the Lion. How does one fight a god? She appears as she wills, her servants always appearing and disappearing through the Chapa'ai. It is not wise to shadow her servants, they're sharp eyed and unforgiving."

He pauses and looks at his friends as they interact with the rest of the SG-13 team. "The ruins must be what your friends saw, there is nothing else like it here. I don't know what lies within, or why the Lion guards it so jealously. Maybe it is something that you could fight a god with. I could bring you to the ruins. But I would ask a promise of you as well. Wait until we've left the valley. It was a thin summer, don't bring the added burden of an angry god to what may be a brutish winter."

Vuski and Jolo wrangle over sharing the chunk of chocolate given to them by Dr. Lawry as she examines them with a physician's eye. The local granola bar is surprisingly filling. The nutty aftertaste is pleasant, and it's probably full of whole grains and complex carbohydrates not to mention a ton of calories. Unprocessed food like this avoids some of the pitfalls of modern Earth snacks, and the lifestyle of a hunter-gatherer undoubtedly requires a lot of energy to stay active. Vuski and Jolo look healthy, though their teeth aren't what one would call perfect. Jolo's smile has some gaps in it. Their faces and exposed skin bear the scars of past violence and is weathered from a life of living outdoors without sunblock. Vuski's right hand looks like it's been broken more than once. They live a hard life, if they weren't tough they wouldn't stalking the forests.

Over by Sgt. Glengarry, McGriddles accepts the bit of meat. Hak offers another small piece to him, this time McGriddles accepts the treat from his hand. As he wolfs down the dried meat, Hak tentatively rubs the dog's head. He smiles and marvels at the soft fur. McGriddles tolerates this for a bit, but then backs away again. He sniffs the air and for some reason is being very attentive to his surroundings. Maybe it's the strangers, maybe it's something else but the dog is a little on edge. Hak leans on his spear and looks disappointed. He opens his mouth as if to speak, then realizes that he wouldn't be understood anyway. He takes a swig from his canteen before offering it to Jacob.

----
Physician at a glance is tough, so you get a very superficial picture of their health. Their food is healthy, so that's good.
They're hunters, so they have to be in good health just to do their job. Given their lifestyle, you'd put their risk factors for injury and ailments about the same as an athlete.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Dr. George Milton - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

"Many more than that," George answers with a chuckle. "There are often too many of us, all living in the same place for our entire lives, for a camp to even work. We build massive, permanent structures, some of them so tall that from the ground it looks almost as if they're scraping the sky itself. And in any one of these cities, of which we have many, hundreds of thousands or even sometimes millions live. Only in our smallest settlements do as few as a couple of hundred dwell. This is what the Captain meant when he said that so little of our world looks like this."

"I mean no disrespect, but as kind as your offer is, I am honestly not certain there is much in terms of weapons you could offer us regardless - we brought our own weapons, though to your eye they might not look like weapons," George then says. He pulls out one of his spare pistol magazines, and removes the top round. "Inside the metal case is a powder that burns very hot, which pushes the bullet" - he points at the bullet itself - "away at very high speed. Bullets of this size are not quite as deadly as your arrows to somebody not wearing armour, but they are far better at getting through the armour of the Jaffa, we can shoot a lot of them in a very small space of time, and they are accurate at much longer distances. We use this and this to shoot them," he adds, pointing first at his P90 and then at his pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - SGC Base Camp P6T-313: +5.5hr on planet

"That's ridiculous, a house that tall would surely fall over. My third cousin one time tried to add a lofty platform to his home at the lake, and the wind pushed it over like a sleeping drunk. How would you even feed that many?"

Pasko carefully holds the bullet up in front of his face and considers it with curiosity and respect.
"I have seen the Lion's Jaffa fling lightning from their fists, and hurl fiery arrows that explode and tear and burn."
He hands the bullet back.
"If you say your strange bow can launch that tiny arrowhead hard enough to pierce a Jaffa's hide, I will take you at your word. Maybe you can show me how it works? Are you sure there is nothing you want to trade for one of your bows?"

• Locked thread