Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Shield as an organization never makes decisions on the TV series, they just constantly react to bad guy decisions. And May has been irrelevant (as in nothing she did ever mattered) literally until this last episode and technically even then, well...spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yes, Daisy is literally the main character of the show and half of the show arcs have come directly out of her own character development. But honestly, our views of the show are so wildly different I wouldn't know how to engage your take.

It sounds to me like they just have fundamental problems accepting the premise of the show. Which, you know, is fine, but I don't know why they keep watching expecting to glean enjoyment from it if they don't like the show, the premise, or any of the characters. :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean I don't think the show is perfect or anything but DoggPickle's complaints are so broad and plentiful and sweeping that even trying to pin them down seems pointless when it really just seems like he/she hates the show and should stop watching.

There are perfectly acceptable shows that many enjoy that I simply don't. That seems like the easiest answer.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

DoggPickle posted:

QI seems off and edited weirdly so it's simultaneously not as funny or informative. I love Sandi so I can't place the not-funny other than bad editing.

QI was much better this season than its been in the last few. Sandi has the ability and willingness to shut down the stupidity and reign things in. The last few seasons it felt as though Stephen had pretty much given up on trying. It didnt help that those are also the seasons where Ross Noble started showing up more often and making GBS threads things up.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone posted a tweet few pages ago from X-Files. Having never watched the show decided to start it. On episode 5 and show is pretty cool. Enjoying Mulder's character a bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't think the show is perfect or anything but DoggPickle's complaints are so broad and plentiful and sweeping that even trying to pin them down seems pointless when it really just seems like he/she hates the show and should stop watching.

There are perfectly acceptable shows that many enjoy that I simply don't. That seems like the easiest answer.

The person you're trying to make sense of went on to say he stopped watching a universally praised show about the pain and suffering caused by the Church of Scientology because the person who made it had fingernails that bothered him. I mean there's some people and opinions that you can't really argue against because they're so off the wall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Digital Jedi posted:

Someone posted a tweet few pages ago from X-Files. Having never watched the show decided to start it. On episode 5 and show is pretty cool. Enjoying Mulder's character a bit.

Even only 5 episodes in you can probably see how bad an idea it was for them to try to continue the show without Mulder.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just started watching A Series Of Unfortunate Events on Netflix with my roommates. Two episodes in. Never seen the movie or read the books. I love NPH so much. Decided to binge Dr. Horrible for the rest of the night.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just started Patriot on Amazon Streaming their new black comedy spy series. It's pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished watching the first season of My Brother, My Brother and Me. While in general the season was a real hoot there were two episodes that I thought had problems. The teen episode makes the mistake of splitting the brothers up which means you don't get the back and forth jokes which they're so good at. While the Candlenights episode has the problem of being all set up for no real pay off with a montage of the event. Although it is slightly redeemed at the end when Justin has an emotional moment telling Griffin and Travis how he feels and they start making fun of him.

The best episode has to be the resume one especially once they get to Safetytown.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Just started Patriot on Amazon Streaming their new black comedy spy series. It's pretty good.

I hope someone makes a thread for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rocksicles posted:

I hope someone makes a thread for it.

Yeah it's real good. Got a weird kind of vibe to it but in a good way. Almost surrealistic. Very funny and well acted.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

X-O posted:

The person you're trying to make sense of went on to say he stopped watching a universally praised show about the pain and suffering caused by the Church of Scientology because the person who made it had fingernails that bothered him. I mean there's some people and opinions that you can't really argue against because they're so off the wall.

Really, XO? I know it sounded lame and nitpicky because I could not take it seriously in the first place, because she completely dismisses every insane idea that the goes along with scientology in favor of crying every episode like an A&E docudrama. Was it slightly enlightening, sure. Did it point out anything that I didn't already know? No.

And there is NO WAY that an average human being would not notice or be disturbed by the 2 inch SHARPENED BLADES coming out of her hands, which she tends to wave around a lot, so they're onscreen 90% of the time. She couldn't open a car door or ring a doorbell without doing some crazy poo poo with her hands. It wasn't important, but it's absolutely in your face and hilarious. If you didn't notice it, than you're blind or you've never tried to type with fake nails.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
HA! Don't watch Joe Rogan's interview then. They have a whole bit about her nails.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DoggPickle posted:

Really, XO? I know it sounded lame and nitpicky because I could not take it seriously in the first place, because she completely dismisses every insane idea that the goes along with scientology in favor of crying every episode like an A&E docudrama. Was it slightly enlightening, sure. Did it point out anything that I didn't already know? No.

And there is NO WAY that an average human being would not notice or be disturbed by the 2 inch SHARPENED BLADES coming out of her hands, which she tends to wave around a lot, so they're onscreen 90% of the time. She couldn't open a car door or ring a doorbell without doing some crazy poo poo with her hands. It wasn't important, but it's absolutely in your face and hilarious. If you didn't notice it, than you're blind or you've never tried to type with fake nails.

Look I'm sincerely saying this as someone who, when I have noticed your posts, have usually thought they were OK, with a few exceptions where I have actually directly replied to you. And I'm also saying this as a person who doesn't like any time on SA where someone says "this poster did this thing, so therefore". By all means click my rap sheet and marvel at the incredibly stupid argument I got into because I dared to think an album was bad.

So here's what I'm saying. Lighten up dogg. I think we're around the same age and I have had a lot of personal poo poo go down today that has really shaken my worldview, but at the end of this day - I still have a loving, supportive wife, I still have hope, I still believe that we can escape what GY!BE called "the belly of this horrible machine". Even after so much in my life has directly intimated otherwise, I can still believe.

So what I'm really saying here is, let it go. All things pass.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

precision posted:

Look I'm sincerely saying this as someone who, when I have noticed your posts, have usually thought they were OK, with a few exceptions where I have actually directly replied to you. And I'm also saying this as a person who doesn't like any time on SA where someone says "this poster did this thing, so therefore". By all means click my rap sheet and marvel at the incredibly stupid argument I got into because I dared to think an album was bad.

So here's what I'm saying. Lighten up dogg. I think we're around the same age and I have had a lot of personal poo poo go down today that has really shaken my worldview, but at the end of this day - I still have a loving, supportive wife, I still have hope, I still believe that we can escape what GY!BE called "the belly of this horrible machine". Even after so much in my life has directly intimated otherwise, I can still believe.

So what I'm really saying here is, let it go. All things pass.

Aww thanks, my rap sheet includes this COMPLETE misunderstanding where I called a thread "brown" meaning brown vs. gold but it was taken as some kind of racial insult and I got probated and that was hilarious. It also includes the time that I posted too soon after I had a STROKE. I completely admit that I was nutso, no doubt about it. The best thing that ever happened to me was a mod giving me a full month off. It was difficult at the time, but obviously reasonably now. I also had some really crazy stuff go down playing SA survivor to the point that I can't actually watch the real televised survivor anymore because it makes me so insane.

Break

I know that I said an overwhelming amount of negative things about a whole bunch of tv shows, but I'm not like INVESTED in some crazy way where I care a lot. I was just posting my opinion on a bunch of things that are pissing me off lately. Even the worst of shows have fun parts. I like 20% of the characters on Blindspot and I keep watching S.V.U for some crazy reason. I can't stop watching Vampire Diaries because it's about to end, and Supernatural is absolute poo poo right now, but there is NO WAY I would miss an episode. Just because I say that Leah Remini's nails are nauseating, .. there is nothing else to read into that except her nails are loving crazy. Because they ARE.

You don't have to have this secret agenda or something just to post about things that are annoying :laffo:

Oh that's how I got my avatar/title. I said laffo too many times.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I had fake nails in highschool for about 2 months in 1996. And all I had were about a quarter inch of square nails, and I couldn't type without hitting two keys at once, I couldn't play guitar (I recognize that it sounds all deuchy but I actually play the guitar) and it even interfered with my writing. It's like choosing to handicap yourself, and those were tiny, small nails to make up for my lovely weak ones, not remotely these gigantic daggers shooting forth from my hands like monster claws. RARRRRGHH :lol:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Rocksicles posted:

HA! Don't watch Joe Rogan's interview then. They have a whole bit about her nails.

I know that I've posted three times in a row and that sucks, but this interview is fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Use the edit button next time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man, X-files, someone who can switch sexes at will is not exactly a spooky or mind-blowing concept.

Maybe I don't remember the early 90s mindset well enough.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 26, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's mind blowing. You could impregnate yourself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's mind blowing. You could impregnate yourself.

I don't think about such things, and neither should you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bill Paxton has died as a result of surgery complications.

Neil Fingleton died of being a giant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually take celebrity deaths in stride but Bill Paxton passing is super bumming me out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, Christ, not Bill Paxton.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
One of the few to be killed on screen by an alien, a predator and a terminator.

Game over man!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Legitimately unsure about deleting Training Day off my DVR

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Digital Jedi posted:

Tap out the moment people start babbling about super soldiers (season ... 7, I think, or maybe 6).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Timby posted:

Tap out the moment people start babbling about super soldiers (season ... 7, I think, or maybe 6).
Session 6 and 7 are still good. Season 8 is when it falls off a cliff and the super soldiers story starts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Session 6 and 7 are still good. Season 8 is when it falls off a cliff and the super soldiers story starts.

I always tend to treat "Closure" as the actual series finale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

try the new taco place posted:

Legitimately unsure about deleting Training Day off my DVR

I wonder if they will cancel it now or try to retool it without him. I guess it depends on how the ratings are.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OG TV Judge, Joseph Wapner also passed away. At a much more understandable age of 97.

Behold his greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o78WoZHfKV8

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I'm not superstitious but isn't it that THING that people die in 3's. I have to really look up the Bill Paxton thing. That's just weird and unsettling. No more jokes about Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DoggPickle posted:

I'm not superstitious but isn't it that THING that people die in 3's. I have to really look up the Bill Paxton thing. That's just weird and unsettling. No more jokes about Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman.

The jokes are still happening. On my feed already "I loved him in Spaceballs" and "Well I guess ID43 isn't happening"

On a side note, thanks thread for convincing me to check out The Good Place and give it a second chance. Even having the ending spoiled it still caught me off guard.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
awwww, Nadiya from The Great British Bakeoff/Baking Show is getting her own show! :kimchi:

for the best explanation of why this is an amazing thing: https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/nadiyas-facial-expressions-are-one-of-the-best-things-about?utm_term=.acoYleqN9#.lo5YBO7Ky

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

I always tend to treat "Closure" as the actual series finale.

The Movie is the series finale, imo. Just swap out the ending for Scully seeing the UFO and finally becoming a full believer. Any good episodes after that are just gravy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I keep hearing that The Expanse is good and it keeps getting compared tonally to the BSG remake. Someone give me the elevator pitch for the series. I'm not a big scifi fan at all and I can't stand shows like Star Trek with lovely aliens and stuff like that. So if that's what it is then just go ahead and tell me it's not my speed. The BSG remake is like one of the only space shows I've ever liked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In the future, our solar system has been colonized by man. The three main factions are Earth, Mars, and the "Belters" who are out near the asteroid belt and wildly impoverished and basically forgotten. Someone tries to start a war between the factions, and our heroes are the only ones who saw the conspiracy from the inside and can disprove the official story. Also Thomas Jane plays a detective with a dumb hat who winds up involved in all of it.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

feedmyleg posted:

Also Thomas Jane plays a detective with a dumb hat who winds up involved in all of it.

And a weird-half-shaved-belter-head, I mean, if you're gonna talk about the hat...

I just realized that the Indian chick from the Expanse has a pretty big talking role in Mass Effect 2. She has a really interesting voice. I was just playing it again before the new one comes out,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they try to do stuff with a more realistic bent. So no artificial gravity and people in spaceships have to worry about stuff like engine thrust pushing too many G's.

In the most recent episode there was a scene where two characters were dealing with the communication time delay between the Earth and the Moon, which should help tell you where their head is when it comes to realism.

• Locked thread