Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

4. S

Top of page quote:

Diogines posted:

You close your eyes and concentrate, focusing on your breathing(or lack thereof) and the Presences near you. Here, underwater you can feel your senses extend even further than normal. Is the water helping you somehow, or is the complete absence of living things near you letting you examine more closely what remains? Probably that. Well. You feel a Presence coming from deeper in the lake, towards you. You initially underestimated its Presence. What you initially felt was, you think a whole lot of smaller Presences together. A school of fish? But you can feel what you are pretty sure is this approaching thing now. Dread does not strike your heart. You are not placed in mind of a Mighty man, even though you have never been able to "rank" the power of things based on Presences, with the exception of certain exceptionally powerful beings seemed to have MUCH, MUCH stronger Presences and sometimes they hid them from you? Gauging "power" based on your Presence Sense(s?) has never been reliable. Based on how what you feel is spread out but moving at the same speed, this thing is big.

You can hear it. It is coming this way, fast. You ready your club and prepare to fight. You have a good guess at what the thing is based on the noise even before it comes into view in the inky blackness though it is probably too late to escape at this point as this thing is moving fast.

WAIT! No! You were wrong! Is it Eyescream!? HERE?!

It comes into view.

The largest octopus you have ever seen. The divers are not in the picture, obviously, but it is to scale. The octopus is that big. It is going to be upon you in about four or five seconds. No mere man could even see the thing in these dark depths but your vision is spectacular. Seeing the giant creature which is about to eat you is probably of little comfort.

4. You...
P. Ascend. NOW! Swim up! That thing is fast but with your wings, so are you! Maybe you can get away?
Q. Swim the Dance of Friendship At it.
R. Try to communicate with it, somehow, through gestures? If you wish to, describe what you do to communicate. Enkidel may not need to breathe, but he needs air. When you stop breathing like this you essentially hold a breathe for a really long time.
S. Grip your club tightly, flap your wings as hard as you can to get at the thing and attack!
T. Grab some rubble from the field and throw it at the giant octopus!
U. Use your ability to make ice to make a large sphere of ice entirely around you as extra armor or something? gently caress! You've never tried but maybe that will work? gently caress! You are about to be eaten by a giant octopus! THERE WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REAL MONSTERS IN LAKE ACCO!
V. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Aades fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

BoneMonkey posted:

Hey science guys, what would happen if we super heat the water around the octopus and turned it to steam down at this depth?
Ishamal would be quite angry because you are not supposed to use your ability to make fire or ice to directly harm living things? Also, you don't know how to make fire underwater.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Diogines posted:

Ishamal would be quite angry because you are not supposed to use your ability to make fire or ice to directly harm living things? Also, you don't know how to make fire underwater.

Awww man. :(

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Diogines posted:

It wouldn't be the fire that harms it, it would be the steam explosion! Do we really not know how to boil water?

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
S

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
R

Become Aquaman.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
V: QR + show it our wings

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2017

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
V: (a) Kick the octopus in its abdomen, then (b) Reach back and grab the octopus's head, pulling its beak above your shoulder, and then (c) Fall in a seated position all the way to the bottom of the lake, forcing the octopus's beak and head to drop down on your shoulder.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2017

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Does our ability to command animals require us to talk?

QR Can't pass up dance diplomacy!

Also, Show it our wings

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
R, then kill it (somehow) if it doesn't immediately respond.

Also, lol that we brought a giant club on an underwater adventure? Wtf. Why not a sword? Surely Ed understands how hard it is to swing a club with the water resistance.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

R, then kill it (somehow) if it doesn't immediately respond.

Also, lol that we brought a giant club on an underwater adventure? Wtf. Why not a sword? Surely Ed understands how hard it is to swing a club with the water resistance.

Pretty sure we have the sword as well

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Schwza posted:

Does our ability to command animals require us to talk?
You have always communicated to them via talking.

As a reminder you lack the gift of tongues and your ability to "command" animals is limited to certain sorts, of which a giant octopus has never been among.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Mmmm sushi

I'm really torn on this vote, I like animal diplomacy and all, but I really kinda want to see us casually hauling up the biggest sea creature our balls have ever seen and just saying, "well, that was a nice swim, anybody for dinner?"

S - Attack on Titan(octopus)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"Normal non-Mighty Guys, there's nothing dangerous in the waters - just watch as I dive into the lake to prove it!"

"Guys, it's just a massive octopus, it's not like it's a real demon just COME OUT AND LEARN TO SWIM EL DAMMIT"

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
P

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"Normal non-Mighty Guys, there's nothing dangerous in the waters - just watch as I dive into the lake to prove it!"

"Guys, it's just a massive octopus, it's not like it's a real demon just COME OUT AND LEARN TO SWIM EL DAMMIT"

Ahaha, can you imagine if we'd engaged in some massive PR campaign to get people voting and then this fucker popped up?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's the guardian of Lake Acco and I'm hearing no different.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
p

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

BoneMonkey posted:

Hey science guys, what would happen if we super heat the water around the octopus and turned it to steam down at this depth?

It would sink and it would die.

E:

Q - Comedy option.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Every single myth and legend and superstition in Ur is real and we were a fool to think otherwise. We need to apologize to Samson when we get back.

R. Think hard at it, a la Ibleam, "No enemy, friend"

Someone had written a fanfic where Enkidel recruited a bunch of octopi to protect Kavodel. He or she must be so happy right now.

I never thought that "fighting a giant octopus" could happen while on a mission that could be described as "fighting a land based enemy on arid ground".

Wait, what does this guy eat? Anyone here a biologist?

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 26, 2017

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
It's not a monster, just a big animal. Still dangerous but not supernaturally so. Maybe it will swallow us whole and we can rip it apart from the inside

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Gee, I wonder what this thread's up to?

Oh right, picking the "lulzy" option while we're about to be killed - again. I'm absolutely convinced that some part of Enkidel is full-on suicidal. Go on, explain to me how trying to communicate with a giant squid through interpretive swimming is the best option.

P

We are not equipped for this fight, and in case you missed it, this thing is big enough to fit our entire body in its beak and barely notice. If it catches us, we die.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

UppaTree posted:

Oh right, picking the "lulzy" option while we're about to be killed - again. I'm absolutely convinced that some part of Enkidel is full-on suicidal. Go on, explain to me how trying to communicate with a giant squid through interpretive swimming is the best option.

P

We are not equipped for this fight, and in case you missed it, this thing is big enough to fit our entire body in its beak and barely notice. If it catches us, we die.

Interpretive swimming is Q, people are mainly going for R.

It's worth a shot because the previous update made it clear how strongly animals are positively drawn to us. This is basically a big animal, although granted, one that's solitary so it's apparently less likely to like us on that basis. It's also never peeped its head above water as far as we can tell, so it's not going out of its way to pick a fight.

On that info alone, its worth seeing if we can find some way of sending positive vibes. If not, we kick its rear end and carry on. I'm confident we can take this guy if we need to, even with sacrificing the opening blow.

Diog Would showing it our wings be violating any rules? I don't think so but just want to check

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

R
We're basically bronze age aquaman at this point so we should try to befriend it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
4 Q never not vote for dance

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
4) Q

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

UppaTree posted:

I voted to swim away in 3, my conscience is clear

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Sure, R. Octopuses are smart, and what are the odds a smart thing would be unnecessarily violent ....................

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

uP!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
R

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Come on guys. If this thing is friendly, we should talk with it. If it's not, we should kill it. Don't run away...

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
T

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

R. Think hard at it, a la Ibleam, "No enemy, friend"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Clarification needed on P - It mentions using our wings to help make our escape. Assuming we survive, wouldn't that be setting us up for a date with Ishamal and a rusty knife?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think Diog would have warned us if that would be the case? Enkidel knows his boundaries.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
I can't believe we'll be killed by a giant octopus so far from the ocean. Thanks, Ophama.

Do we even know the first thing about underwater fighting?

P

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Carecalmo posted:

Do we even know the first thing about underwater fighting?

We're still a very skilled spear thrower in an underwater setting, I believe.
Even with our super strength, I don't see us accomplishing much with the club unless the ruby fragments can cut the poo poo out of our new friend.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

R

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm at least 50% sure octopi communicate in part by body language.

Not sure if this corresponds to giant Urian octopus tho.

They're also hella smart, cpd be this thing has human level (but alien) intelligence. Still gonna eat us though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think we should use our arms, legs, and wings to mimic the movements of other octopuses we've observed. Let this big fella know we're just a funny looking octopus pal.