Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

blizzardvizard posted:

Does Genetta also speak in Anime Episode Titles in the original? Because that's great :allears:

Not specifically. She's just kind of overly excited, makes up words, and misuses idioms. Punching up the dialog is Kinu's job here, in case that wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeup.

Bleh, that sucks. At least it's not a pre-req for anything in that spec, I guess.

Clarste posted:

Not specifically. She's just kind of overly excited, makes up words, and misuses idioms. Punching up the dialog is Kinu's job here, in case that wasn't clear.

Ah okay. I'm really enjoying her dialog so far, it's perfect :allears:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I really enjoyed the extra bit of story telling. Some fluff that makes your guild seem more alive but is stored extra so it doesn't pad out the actual update is nice.

After completing the Unidentified Seed quest and getting the reward: the screenshot has a 3 in it, the translation a 4.
Are those three the ones "thrown in extra"? Do you actually get something extra for quests without scaling rewards if the dialog tells you so instead of still just getting the reward listed?

Terrible rare material chances, how I loathe them.
Trying to get rare materials in EOU was not fun even with some gathering grimoires.
Especially getting those frozen mantis eggs from worthless chop points was frustrating. And of course I got three of them after spending half an hour to find one, just because Millenium Girl loves to taunt me.

Poison Gas has a somewhat decent infliction chance and deals more than two digits in damage.
It can actually be used for conditionals if you can't inflict poison otherwise. That's neat.

Oh no... The armor was cursed... It gave Remus... a case of ellipses... ... ...

(Also after the grave-digging event the text talks about burrying the corpse in a "whole". Twice.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

(Also after the grave-digging event the text talks about burrying the corpse in a "whole". Twice.)

Our editing process is not especially rigorous.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Planting a tree, then having that tree immediately grow to smack your party in the face then battle you. Well, if I somehow wasn't already 100% convinced that everything in the labyrinth hates you...

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

You know, back in the day, I used to have such good friends. I could talk to them about anything, count on them for anything, and we were always together...

But, I realized far too late that having the people around you still be around tomorrow is life's greatest luxury. Remember that.

Yikes, lady, that got heavy out of nowhere! Where did that come from?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

vdate posted:

EO games usually have a few heavy moments like that. One that always sticks out in my mind is a quest in EOU (maybe EO1?) where you gather up offerings to place at an explorer's grave, at the request of said explorer's fiance. EO2/EO2U have a not-too-dissimilar quest line where you find the gauntlet of an explorer who was finding herbs for his sick fiance, and then you end up assisting the fiance in a few other quests.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, there are moments where the game reminds you that the Labyrinth is a dangerous place from a story perspective as well.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

EO games usually have a few heavy moments like that.

Wulfgar :(

Looking through the last update again - was there ever something like Rampaging Tree/Creepy Vine where the not-even-a-recolor quest mob drastically changes the mechanic of a monster?
Can you even encounter Creepy Vines before the tree blows up in your face?

Because that would be a nice surprise - expecting a non-damaging party wide head bind (which might not even be that dangerous for your team since Herbalists heal with their arms) and getting a strong splash damage poison attack instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vdate posted:

Melina's whole "thing" is that she's a retired explorer who treats all the new explorers like she's an overprotective mother (or older sister, I guess). Because she knows exactly how dangerous it is up there. Which is why she ends like almost every conversation she has with "stay safe" or equivalent.

But in general she's not as interesting as, say, Genetta, so it's pretty easy to skim over her dialog.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Clarste posted:

Melina's whole "thing" is that she's a retired explorer who treats all the new explorers like she's an overprotective mother (or older sister, I guess).

Still a better character than "does not like bugs" or... uh... what is the character trait of the Barkeeper in EO/EOU? What even is her name?
But yeah, judging from what I have read in this LP Melina should be the 3rd best Barkeeper after Missy and Cass purely on the bases that she actually has some sort of character.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

werbear posted:

Still a better character than "does not like bugs" or... uh... what is the character trait of the Barkeeper in EO/EOU? What even is her name?

Valerie. Her primary character trait was calling you "kiddos" and sometimes being concerned.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So she's the exact same character as Melina, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAJgxdT4Mw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Valerie's only real bits of characterization were in the solo FOE quests. Which got cut out of the remake since you can't adjust the number of party members in story mode. Even then, there wasn't much to her.

werbear posted:

But yeah, judging from what I have read in this LP Melina should be the 3rd best Barkeeper after Missy and Cass purely on the bases that she actually has some sort of character.

Kiritida is the one who didn't like bugs in EO4. I don't think she had anything else outside of that. Kind of a shame that none of the barkeepers have yet to live up to Cass and Missy, though at least Genetta is a fun NPC.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't think Missy was really that funny.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Valerie. Her primary character trait was calling you "kiddos" and sometimes being concerned.

Thanks.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Kiritida is the one who didn't like bugs in EO4. I don't think she had anything else outside of that.

Yeah, I even forgot her name. Not that it is mentioned often but then again it's not worth remembering even if it was given with every textbox.
There is something with her good-bye involving Kismet but that's not really a character trait.

alcharagia posted:

I don't think Missy was really that funny.

Often she is not. Sometimes she is a bit irritating, sometimes outright mean spirited.
I still prefer her over many other NPCs just because she actually is a character.
For my taste there are too many townsfolk in EO that are just their function.

Like the first Innkeeper.
Or the forth guild master - who even trains you and stuff! But does he have a personality? Does he even have a name?

Speaking of guild masters:
Have we seen much of Edgar? He was fishing once which already puts him among the most active guild masters. But besides that afair he mostly gave information others had already given us.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 19 is here to spook you, what with the ghosts and skeletons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Why do these exist

In case you don't have a way to inflict said ailment for a conditional drop and don't want to change up your party or use up (or don't have) a Formaldehyde to get it. They're not much, but they're something for the players that like to go for 100% completion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, a Necromancer's poison can be strong enough to deal over 300 damage at this point.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 19 is here to spook you, what with the ghosts and skeletons.

It's shortly after midnight here. I don't know if I'm ready :ohdear:

I wasn't ready. drat those ghosts are scary!
Not only is their skill pretty strong, their resistances make them sturdy enough for it to trigger.
It's an interesting way to make a proper mid-game version of the "weak against everything but curses your team"-enemy.

The mental image of a Shaman using Affection by hugging someone that took damage and telling them everything is alright will never leave me...
But it's adorable.

So Magda is can take a drink? Well, she seems immune against whatever there is in her bag so maybe she has all around low chemical resistance values.
Buuut on the off chance that she tests her smokes on herself and is now a bundle of chemicals condensed into the form of a (round eared) Lunarian: On a scale of 1 to 10; how likely is she to spontaniously catch fire?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm liking Remus a lot. Mission-giving NPCs are generally kinda boring and straightforward ("please kill X on the 10th floor, come back when you've reached the 15th) but Remus is showing a lot more character. Feels like you're learning more about him every time you talk to him.

Also those Ghosts are pretty cute when they shut their eyes like that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's going on with that skeleton? Is it vomiting out a bolt of cloth? Or has it just got a bone-white hat with a striped prayer strip on the brim?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Stay safe, Magda's liver.

You know, ever since we started seeing early shots of these monsters in EOV something about them struck me as... off. It wasn't until this too-spoopy-for-me update that I was able to put my finger on it: none of the other games in the series actually feature the undead. At all. Robots? Yes. Ambulatory pumpkins? Yes. Giant bloodthirsty leukocytes? Yes. But no zombies, or ghosts, or skeletons, or reanimated dogs, or anything. They're such standard fantasy fare that I overlooked their absence until now. "Oh you probably fight a skeleton or something at some point I just forgot about it." Except you don't, it turns out.

Sort of spoils my theory on the labyrinths being overrun with vicious but otherwise natural flora and fauna (once you factor in several thousand years of mutations and genetic tinkering), but I don't bring it up as a negative thing. Just an interesting shift in emphasis for this entry in the series.

e: wow, i got beaten super hard on all of this nonsense. that'll teach me to skim between updates

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

What's going on with that skeleton? Is it vomiting out a bolt of cloth? Or has it just got a bone-white hat with a striped prayer strip on the brim?

I always assumed they had a piece of cloth wrapped around their face, covering their mouth and hanging down.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I always assumed they had a piece of cloth wrapped around their face, covering their mouth and hanging down.

Sort of like a combination tabard and scarf! You may also note that the skeletons have tusks, which didn't fully register for me the first time I saw them. Also re: skeletons, the difference in the scale of the numbers of this game make me :stonk: every time I look at an FOE statline and see something that wouldn't be out of place on an endgame boss in EO1-4.

In unrelated news, like the EO2U LP before it, this LP is instilling the desire to play this game in me something fierce. Alas, I don't think they've even announced a release date or released a demo in English or anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

vdate posted:

Sort of like a combination tabard and scarf! You may also note that the skeletons have tusks, which didn't fully register for me the first time I saw them. Also re: skeletons, the difference in the scale of the numbers of this game make me :stonk: every time I look at an FOE statline and see something that wouldn't be out of place on an endgame boss in EO1-4.

In unrelated news, like the EO2U LP before it, this LP is instilling the desire to play this game in me something fierce. Alas, I don't think they've even announced a release date or released a demo in English or anything.

The overall numbers may seem bigger, but in reality, the power of the classes and all got knocked down a peg. In EO2U, it was pretty common to see player damage numbers break the thousands, and eventually the ten-thousands. That's really not a thing in EO5. In all honestly, the damage output is more comparable with the average damage output in EO1 and 2. (Which is to say in the hundreds is considered to be great damage in this game.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess someone never did great damage. Or used only multi-hit attacks.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 20. Zombie dog.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yay, storytime!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

You thought she was the sole survivor of a group of explorers, but looking closely her dress is far too flimsy to be the equipment of an explorer.

Really, game? You do know one of the available classes is the Necromancer, right?
And Flare Ladies are clearly wearing more than any female Dark Hunters, Troubadours, Wildlings, Dancers or Nightseekers.

Magda posted:

Rather than dignify that, I will point out that you took a throwaway jab from me so seriously that you actually studied how to make magic rocks fall from the ceiling.

Eh, it's more impressive in other games. Being in the labyrinth means there actually always is a ceiling you can simply break rocks off of.
Other mages can make rocks fall out of thin air. Kaelin needs to step up his game.

Was every single little dead end an event on this floor? Was it this extreme on earlier floors and I didn't notice until now?
I always get a bit sad when I find an empty dead end but that seems really excessive.
But then again those events were fun so there is little to complain about.

And we... actively help the other explorers? Maybe that means they don't want to kill us this time...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

Really, game? You do know one of the available classes is the Necromancer, right?
And Flare Ladies are clearly wearing more than any female Dark Hunters, Troubadours, Wildlings, Dancers or Nightseekers.

Yeah, but what they are wearing is made out of magic Kevlar or something.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Updaaaaaates!

I like the characters. They are slowly becoming a proper team in spirit.

Even our warlork is improving. A little.

Also, do we have any jump scares via F.O.Es in this stratum? Like the scorpion F.O.Es in the 2nd stratum of EOU, who jumped out of the ground?

Doesn't this look like the perfect stratum to have stuff like that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The first skeleton is kind of a jump scare if you're not expecting it, and all subsequent skeletons too if you're not paying attention to the upper screen. They don't show up on the map at all until they pop up next to you.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Clarste posted:

Yeah, but what they are wearing is made out of magic Kevlar or something.

Because of the way damage is calculated in EO3, EO4 and the Untolds even heavy armor feels like it's made of paper mache.
So maybe the borderline naked characters were the true representation of how our party goes into the labyrinth all along...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Rangpur posted:

Stay safe, Magda's liver.

You know, ever since we started seeing early shots of these monsters in EOV something about them struck me as... off. It wasn't until this too-spoopy-for-me update that I was able to put my finger on it: none of the other games in the series actually feature the undead. At all. Robots? Yes. Ambulatory pumpkins? Yes. Giant bloodthirsty leukocytes? Yes. But no zombies, or ghosts, or skeletons, or reanimated dogs, or anything. They're such standard fantasy fare that I overlooked their absence until now. "Oh you probably fight a skeleton or something at some point I just forgot about it." Except you don't, it turns out.

Sort of spoils my theory on the labyrinths being overrun with vicious but otherwise natural flora and fauna (once you factor in several thousand years of mutations and genetic tinkering), but I don't bring it up as a negative thing. Just an interesting shift in emphasis for this entry in the series.

e: wow, i got beaten super hard on all of this nonsense. that'll teach me to skim between updates

EO1/U did have zombie dragons as a late-game FOE. I think that's the only exception. The Hollows from EO4 come close except for how they aren't "technically" ghosts.
It'd be odd for the game to not feature undead monsters when one of the character classes is Necromancer, though.
Though the undead in EO5 are mostly kind of funny/silly looking, which I figure is the EO touch at work.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

werbear posted:

Maybe that means they don't want to kill us this time...

Alternatively, hopefully this ends with both of them alive this time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Being an adventurer in any game loving sucks. Who wants this job?!

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Vampyre is a pun so good, my only regret in life is that I did not come up with it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I don't know if you already have another update banner but I made one you can use if you like.

http://i.imgur.com/aAkUK5l.jpg

werbear fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

That is really nice. I've felt the bright pink one with green comic sans has a unique charm to it though

• Locked thread